PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Want To Die...?

SteyrAUG
05-02-12, 23:34
Another topic on family and how they sometimes disappoint evolved into a discussion on the care most seniors receive and the problems of family members who may not care enough to make sure they are well taken care of or at worst completely abandon them.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104619

I don't want to hijack that threat into an entirely new discussion. But in the last few decades medicine has advanced enough, along with insurance to pay for things, to provide your average person with several bonus months.

Where a person in the 50s or 60s usually died of a heart attack or stroke towards the end of their life span, now they usually survive such events. The problem is, most don't make a complete recovery and spend those bonus months in the ICU.

Now certainly for those who beat the odds and make a full recovery and go home it is a great thing and sometimes those bonus months can become bonus years. And for the less fortunate, even the short time that might remain in the ICU gives many the opportunity to put their affairs in order and probably most important of all they have the chance to say their goodbyes and see loved ones a few more times.

If they are really fortunate they can also enjoy life's little things a few more times. I know in the case of my father certain foods were brought to the ICU that absolutely were NOT in accordance to the doctors preferred diet. But while I did my best to make sure my fathers wants and needs were taken care of, I worried that is was not how he would have preferred to end his days.

My father was hunting and target shooting almost until the very end. He couldn't manage his .308s any more and he became a tree stand hunter but he still did it the hunting season right before he went into the hospital and probably intended to be out there the following year. Somebody made the comment that it was a shame he didn't just go in the tree stand with a rifle in his arms. And after seeing what happens in the ICU (especially for those who don't come out) I can't say I completely disagree with that viewpoint.

Now ideally, we'd all go peacefully in our sleep at home with our family around us doing their best to comfort us in our last days. But statistically, most of us will finish out in an ICU someplace. And I'm not completely sure if those bonus months are what I truly want. I'd sure hate to go alone so no tree stands for me personally. But I do know I'd like to die on my own terms if possible. Just not sure what those terms are yet.

So if it were up to you, how would you like to spend your last months, weeks and hours?

RancidSumo
05-02-12, 23:51
I'd like to go out like my grandpa did. In December he was out working at the sheds (sheep ranch) like he had pretty much every day his whole life alongside my uncle. He had been having chest and arm pain for a few days but went out to work anyway (said his arm didn't hurt so long as he didn't move it or do anything). As he was working he simply fell over and passed away. No laying in the hospital bed waiting or laying there on the ground for a few minutes. It was just over in a flash and he moved on to the next life. He was doing what he loved with the person he loved doing it with.

I think that's the way to go. I don't want to lay around waiting for it and I think that it actually hurts more than it helps for family to have to watch you go through that. In my opinion it is better to not have your last memories of a loved one be of them laying in a hospital bed even if it means getting to see them one more time.

kwelz
05-02-12, 23:52
You know. This is an interesting question that I have been asking myself lately. And the answer is that I don't care, except that I don't want to die old.

I posted about the tornado that hit my town back at the start of march. I was pretty damn close to the thing and people keep asking two questions.

1: Were you scared
2: What would you have done if it had turned towards you.

The answer to number one is a simple no. Surprisingly I wasn't scared of it.

The answer to the 2nd one has scared a few of my friends.

I don't think I would have done anything if it had turned towards me. Sure I may have ducked into the house. But I don't think I would have run, or gone to any extreme. I have reached a strange point in my life when I figure if I am going to die, I am going to die. And I am ok with that.

I just know that I don't want to grow old and die. I don't want to be in a nursing home, or suffer from dementia.

chadbag
05-02-12, 23:54
I want to live until I don't wake up one day. Luckily my mom's side of the family has been a lot like that. My dad's side has had a few more issues.

My wife is a cardiac ICU nurse. While most stays are short, a few days, they get a LOT of repeat business by non-compliant people who are obviously not paying for the care themselves.

Stay active. Eat well and healthily, and unless you have bad genes, you have a good chance of doing well through old age.

Don't remain active. Eat "American" (meat and potatoes and white bread and processed foods and sugar) and you will probably have lots of issues.

That is a simplistic take and any given person may or may not follow that pattern, but it is a good enough pattern to base your life on.

--

montanadave
05-02-12, 23:55
I'd like to be struck by a meteorite about the size of a VW bug.

chadbag
05-02-12, 23:56
I just know that I don't want to grow old and die. I don't want to be in a nursing home, or suffer from dementia.

Growing old doesn't mean you have to be in a nursing home, or have dementia. I know many people in their 90s who are there mentally and pretty good physically.

My grandmother will be 95 this year. She has some issues with her legs, cannot walk like she used to (long distances etc). She can however walk and function normally in her own house, has no dementia, etc. That is how I want to be... Just go to sleep one night and not wake up.

deadlyfire
05-03-12, 00:00
In the heart of Tehran ahead of the invasion force extracting dr ahmadinejad for trial. :jester:

ucrt
05-03-12, 00:01

When I die,

I'd like to go peacefully.

Like my Grandfather,

In his sleep.

Not screaming,

Like the passengers in his car.

SteyrAUG
05-03-12, 00:21

When I die,

I'd like to go peacefully.

Like my Grandfather,

In his sleep.

Not screaming,

Like the passengers in his car.

How did we know that was coming.

Of course I think the grand champion was probably Marquis de Sade who died at 74 reportedly while taking a nap after an afternoon of sodomy with a 17 year old girl.

Kfgk14
05-03-12, 00:30
...Burst into flames on a bus in New York City, just spontaneously combust and explode, but in the moments before detonation, I want to turn to the guy next to me and say, while he looks on in horror, "What's wrong buddy? Yankees lose?" and then BOOM! Fun way to go!

Or, immediately after laying my high school sweet heart in the bed of the old Ford, quietly passing away as I roll over and look at the stars.

LHS
05-03-12, 00:51
I think George Martin said it best, through his character Tyrion Lannister:

“In my own bed, at the age of 80 with a bellyful of wine and a girl’s mouth around my ****.”

But I see where you're going with this. I think every person has to come to their own conclusion about the value of continued life vs. the quality (or lack thereof) of that life. I think that conclusion is liable to change based on the current circumstances facing the person. I honestly don't know my conclusion just yet. I hope I have many years before I have to form one.

Don Robison
05-03-12, 02:13
I went to the funeral of a good friend today who had been battling incurable cancer since January. He beat it in 91 and ended up with a different variety this time that had metastasized in his hips, kidneys, spine and lungs before it was diagnosed. He died Saturday at home with his family and pastor there. I don't want to do the cancer and have it draw out for months or years, but at home would suit me just fine.
He was asked what it felt like knowing he was going to die; he replied "It's not that bad. What's it feel like thinking you're going to live forever?" He was a tough ole' bird right to the end.

thopkins22
05-03-12, 03:26
I don't remember who said it, but I'd like to die a young man's death...as an old man.

Littlelebowski
05-03-12, 06:11
In a hotel room, surrounded by cocaine and hookers, dressed in a bath robe with my dong hanging out, screaming "whatever they're paying you, I'll double it" as I get shot.

sl4mdaddy
05-03-12, 06:57
Peacefully in my sleep.

It's a timely thread as the thought has been more prevalent as of late. My dad's not been doing so well as his body deteriorates from the effects of inactivity, COPD and just gettin' old.

It's hard to see a man, more so when it's your Dad, that's afraid to be left alone because he's convinced he's dying and seems as helpless as the day he entered this existence.

A retired Army CSM that walked "The Tomb", two tours in Vietnam under his belt and a display over his left breast on his dress blues to go along with it....this with clusters, that with clusters....now he needs 24hr care.

Yes I know we all go at some time but damn...

QuietShootr
05-03-12, 07:29
I don't remember who said it, but I'd like to die a young man's death...as an old man.

Oh, Jesus. I like that. I'm keeping it.

ETA: I've always said I wanted to die at the age of 90 of a GSW inflicted by a man who caught me banging his 19-year-old wife. Which I suppose is now covered by the above statement.

Losing friends that are at the peak of their lives doing something they knew was dangerous is one kind of sadness - for me, it's 'well hell, it's too bad he didn't make it through another day, but the one thing you HAVE to do is die - and going out instantly in a fight sounds more dignified than dying alone in an old folks storage facility after 5 years of being alone, lying in your own shit and bedsores.

My grandfather died two years ago at the age of 94, having lived at home until the last year of his life when he became too weak to move about unassisted. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor, and a veteran of the Rhineland, Central Europe, and Central Pacific campaigns (Army), as well as a successful pharmacist/small business owner. He was John Wayne before John Wayne was cool - the kind of guy who wouldn't say shit if he had a mouthful. I remember once he walked into the house from mowing the lawn in the wet, and had slipped and fallen, putting his foot under the back of the mower and hacking off a couple of toes. His only comment was, "I guess I flubbed my dub. Get a towel." He wrapped his foot up, shoved the toes in his pocket and drove to the hospital.

He used to say, but only when he was drunk, that every day he lived after December 7, 1941 was free - and after a few years in the Army I finally understood what he meant. "Today is a good day to die" is not a statement of depression and angst, but a statement of life and personal peace - and a good way to live your life. As cliched as it sounds, it's ****ing true: if you're afraid of dying, you're afraid of living.

Watrdawg
05-03-12, 07:47
I don't want to die as an invalid dependent upon others for my care. I hate the idea of being stuck in a bed or wheel chair having to have someone change my diapers, washing my body or wiping the drool off of my face. I also don't want that burden put on any of my family. However it comes about I don't want others to have to say that "Thankfully he is in a better place and doesn't have to endure the life he has lead these however many years!" The last 5 or so years of my Stepfathers life were not good years for him. In his younger years he was a big burly Maring who fought in the Korean War, survived the Chosin Resrvroir, boxed while in the Marines, afterwards became a general contractor and built everything from outhouses to large bridges. There wasn't anything that could stand in his way he thought. Later in life he became a diabetitic, had triple bypass surgery, lost toes through amuptations, ended up in a wheel chair shitting himself a couple of times a day. He became very angry at the helplessness and took it out on everyone. In the end he died in a hospital bed saying he was dying and scared. Of course I was very sad that he had died and was gone. However, my main feeling was thank God that he didn't have to endure living like that anymore. That is not how I want to die!

sadmin
05-03-12, 07:51
I like the ending of Legends of the Fall.. I dont necessarily want to fight a bear but I wouldnt mind being up in the mountains feeling as small as possible.

QuietShootr
05-03-12, 08:04
I don't want to die as an invalid dependent upon others for my care. I hate the idea of being stuck in a bed or wheel chair having to have someone change my diapers, washing my body or wiping the drool off of my face. I also don't want that burden put on any of my family. However it comes about I don't want others to have to say that "Thankfully he is in a better place and doesn't have to endure the life he has lead these however many years!" The last 5 or so years of my Stepfathers life were not good years for him. In his younger years he was a big burly Maring who fought in the Korean War, survived the Chosin Resrvroir, boxed while in the Marines, afterwards became a general contractor and built everything from outhouses to large bridges. There wasn't anything that could stand in his way he thought. Later in life he became a diabetitic, had triple bypass surgery, lost toes through amuptations, ended up in a wheel chair shitting himself a couple of times a day. He became very angry at the helplessness and took it out on everyone. In the end he died in a hospital bed saying he was dying and scared. Of course I was very sad that he had died and was gone. However, my main feeling was thank God that he didn't have to endure living like that anymore. That is not how I want to die!

I try to avoid that by doing what I want. If I zig when I should have zagged one day, well, my wife and her new boyfriend will have a lot of money to spend, and that'll be that. I do NOT want to die in bed.

telecustom
05-03-12, 08:16
I want to go on stage with a guitar in my hands and a microphone to my lips.

The ultimate performance an entertainer can have is to actually die on stage. (that is why the press is so important)

The_War_Wagon
05-03-12, 08:38
My best friend and shooting buddy at church just died a few weeks ago - keeled over from a massive heart attack at age 62. :(

NO SIGN WHATSOEVER of heart trouble - he'd JUST retired Dec.31st - but the vena cava literally blew out (seperated) from his heart. Unless you're ON the operating table WITH your chest open, there's no WAY you can be saved in time if that happens. Same thing happened to the actor John Ritter on-set years ago. You're pretty much dead when you hit the floor.

Martin Luther said, "Death, is EASY. You take your last breath, and then you're gone. DYING... is HARD," and that is TRUE. I see that happening all around me.

I do not fear going quickly. I live life with a clear conscience and a light heart - my forgiveness unto salvation is IN & FROM Christ Jesus alone. Yet if suffering is to be my lot, so be it. "7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or whether we die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living." - Romans 14: 7-9 -

GTifosi
05-03-12, 08:55
To not be a burden.
Just kinda drift off into the woods one day like an animal that knows death is near and leaves, never to be seen again.

What I don't want is to catch fire doing something stupid and fall from a great height over water only to hit the water breaking almost every bone in my body and have the flames go out while remaining concious the whole time.... then drown...

CarlosDJackal
05-03-12, 09:35
I want to die like my uncle - peacefully in my sleep.

Not screaming and crying for help - like his passengers. :D

glocktogo
05-03-12, 09:37
With a history of heart disease on both sides of my family and born with a heart defect myself, I've already watched my inevitable death, twice. It isn't a good way to go. Your heart doesn't just stop one day, it degrades slowly over a period of months. Pneumonia sets in frequently and has to be fought with heavy doses of antibiotics and heart meds that reduce your your capacity to walking to and from the bathroom unaided, on a good day. You ultimately die in a hospital bed, drowning in your own fluids as your body slowly starves for oxygen. Imagine a drowning that takes more than a day. I held both my parent's hands through it.

My hope is to die a quick and spectacular death before heart disease gets it's whack. Preferrably after I've had a couple of good retirement years, but before is fine if it saves me from that particular fate. I try to live each day like it's my last. It doesn't always work, but I don't allow myself to get too far down in the weeds on stuff unless it suits me to do so. The immediate concerns of others that I find petty and annoying just don't faze me much. In a hundred years, who will really give a shit?

Day after tomorrow, I'm taking my sweetie to a very serene lake for a fishing trip. We're going to start with bluegill so she can get some quick & fast action. Then largemouth bass for some excitement. When the sun sets, we're going to anchor in a nice spot, set out a couple of poles for catfish, and watch the "supermoon" rise at 10:35PM.

It's easy to let moments like that slip by if you're not careful.

Failure2Stop
05-03-12, 09:43
With sword in hand.

Kokopelli
05-03-12, 09:57
I think just taking it easy, listening to some music, eating good/real food and taking in the beauty of creation.. Ron

05-03-12, 10:42
With sword in hand.

By sword, I think you mean dick.:D

At least you didn't say with someones sword in you.

SteveL
05-03-12, 10:53
I work in fire/rescue and once went out to an elderly gentleman who was in cardiac arrest and we were unable to resuscitate him. He was comfortable in his own home, in his comfortable clothes (pajamas - this was in the evening) and had sat down in his comfortable chair to read a book and quietly slipped away. His wife heard his book fall to the floor and that's when she went in to check on him and he was gone. I can't think of a much better way to go than that.

Kokopelli
05-03-12, 11:06
I work in fire/rescue and once went out to an elderly gentleman who was in cardiac arrest and we were unable to resuscitate him. He was comfortable in his own home, in his comfortable clothes (pajamas - this was in the evening) and had sat down in his comfortable chair to read a book and quietly slipped away. His wife heard his book fall to the floor and that's when she went in to check on him and he was gone. I can't think of a much better way to go than that.

You got that.. That's about as good as one could ask for.. IMO.. Ron

Cincinnatus
05-03-12, 11:25
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

and

"Here they defended themselves to the last, those who still had swords using them, and the others resisting with their hands and teeth."-- Herodotus

and

Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

and of course, this:

"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and nothing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

Tecumseh

and one last word from Kipling:

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier."

MTechnik
05-03-12, 12:05
However it is, I want it to be after I tell my son how much I love him and how much he's brought to my life.

Voodoo_Man
05-03-12, 12:11
With sword in hand.

The only real way to die, like a warrior.

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/a/ab/KlingonDeathRitual.jpg

rojocorsa
05-03-12, 12:16
I hate hospitals and places like that. Would be more fun to die in a plane, auto, or bike crash or something like that--where you never saw it coming (that way you don't think about it too much and freak yourself out).

"Sword in hand" is good too. Anything other than wasting away in some depressing hospital.

ra2bach
05-03-12, 12:24
What I don't want is to catch fire doing something stupid and fall from a great height over water only to hit the water breaking almost every bone in my body and have the flames go out while remaining concious the whole time.... then drown...

oh my DOG! that's horrible... :eek:

SteyrAUG
05-03-12, 12:27
With sword in hand.

I've often thought if I had some incurable situation but was still able to get around ok for the time being that I might take the opportunity to right some wrongs.

ra2bach
05-03-12, 12:29
I want to die crashed up and on fire sliding across the finish line...

jaydoc1
05-03-12, 13:42
After just having had hours of sex with Catrinel Menghia (the stunning model from the Fiat Abarth commercial).

Real answer, um, well I guess that is the real answer.

glocktogo
05-03-12, 14:19
After just having had hours of sex with Catrinel Menghia (the stunning model from the Fiat Abarth commercial).

Dude, she's crazy Italian chick hot! (even though she's Romanian)

Dirk Williams
05-03-12, 14:19
With the way the world is going, I would simply like to die a FREE MAN.

DW

HAMMERDROP
05-03-12, 17:00
With my boots on...

Michael

SteyrAUG
05-03-12, 18:06

That is an impressive female.

Safetyhit
05-03-12, 18:13
Painlessly and swiftly at what would somehow be the ideal time of my life to do so.

Moose-Knuckle
05-03-12, 18:49
I would like to be contacted by friendly multidimensional beings and taken on a grand tour through out time and space. . .

Cagemonkey
05-03-12, 19:10
In a hotel room, surrounded by cocaine and hookers, dressed in a bath robe with my dong hanging out, screaming "whatever they're paying you, I'll double it" as I get shot.I had a similar idea, except it would be cocaine, Viagra and Hookers. The idea would be to have a massive heart explosion at the exact moment of climax.

Clint
05-03-12, 19:11
Instead of wasting all that money dying in the hospital,

I'd like to fly my whole family down to New Zealand for a solid 10 days of partying...

and then go skydiving...

One...last...time.

jaydoc1
05-03-12, 19:16
Instead of wasting all that money dying in the hospital,

I'd like to fly my whole family down to New Zealand for a solid 10 days of partying...

and then go skydiving...

One...last...time.

Okay that's a good one.

One modifier. I want a PICC line in (peripherally inserted central cather for good IV access) and a big syringe of propofol attached to it. That way I can enjoy the trip but knock myself out before touchdown.

Safetyhit
05-03-12, 19:19
I had a similar idea, except it would be cocaine, Viagra and Hookers. The idea would be to have a massive heart explosion at the exact moment of climax.

You have a picture of what one might assume is your daughter as your avatar, yet you think this type of legacy would somehow be funny? Sounds about like the most indignified death imaginable to me, next to the hooker being a man.

Javelin
05-03-12, 19:32
Forever young. :D

Cagemonkey
05-03-12, 19:36
You have a picture of what one might assume is your daughter as your avatar, yet you think this type of legacy would somehow be funny? Sounds about like the most indignified death imaginable to me, next to the hooker being a man.Your totally right. The scenario was made in jest. In all seriousness, I'd like to die peaceably in my sleep at an old age knowing that I was a good father and husband and have gotten the opportunity to see my daughter happily married with children. Since I'm 42 and my daughter is 15 months, this may not be feasible. P.S. "lighten up Francis" The Movie Stripes.

SeriousStudent
05-03-12, 19:58
It does not matter how much money you make. It does not matter how many guns or toys you owned.

If your children are not good human beings, then you have failed at life.

I honestly don't worry about how I will go. It's a lot closer for me than most of you. I have ceased to worry about the aches and pains, the glasses and the canes.

I am happy that my children are responsible adults. They care for each other, and their friends. They set an example that others can look up to.

Anything that happens to me now is on the positive side of the ledger.

And I admire F2S's idea - honorably with a weapon, defending the innocent. There are vastly worse things in this world. I have buried some of those friends. They were honorable men. Someday I will join them.

And I'm alright with that.

eternal24k
05-03-12, 20:51
On my own terms, in nature, preferably where I will be undisturbed for a LONG time.

SteyrAUG
05-03-12, 23:10
On my own terms, in nature, preferably where I will be undisturbed for a LONG time.

While I understand your sentiment, if you do it in nature without some kind of after arrangement, you won't go undisturbed for very long. Critters gotta eat.

Cesiumsponge
05-03-12, 23:13
Simple.

I plan to die on Mars. I will accept no substitutes.

I don't really care how painful and messy it is. Dying on Mars means humanity held up long enough to take to the heavens.

Jellybean
05-04-12, 01:34
..."So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and nothing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

Tecumseh

With sword in hand.

With the way the world is going, I would simply like to die a FREE MAN.DW

Yes, especially the third option. All I've ever wanted is just my slice of the pie. Failing that, see 1 and 2. Only way worth going out imho. Doing something worth remembering, whether it be battle or strippers. :p
I've been to nursing homes for people our family has known. I've been to hospitals a hell of a lot more than I'd like recently. It all sucks. Somebody brought up a good point somewhere the other day- we put down our pets when it gets to be "that time" because we love them, yet we do everything in our power to prolong the lives of people we "love" even at the cost of their own suffering.
No, I'm not saying just kill of everyone past a certain age- geez.
But I hope if I'm ever a brain dead lump on a bed, that whoever is in control of the almighty plug has the sense to do what needs doing.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter anyway- that accursed song keeps running through my head- "you can't always get what you want...."
Whatever happens you're never in a million years going to see it coming- I'm sure we've all had a few of those situations.
My luck, I'll be sitting in my dirt under my rock thinking "Well that sucked...":rolleyes:

eternal24k
05-04-12, 06:05
While I understand your sentiment, if you do it in nature without some kind of after arrangement, you won't go undisturbed for very long. Critters gotta eat.

sorry, should have been more specific, without being disturbed by man. I could care less if I am put to use.

montanadave
05-04-12, 08:49
I have worked as a RN on both an inpatient oncology unit (which also picked up all the terminal renal and pulmonary patients) and for hospice. I've attended a death or two.

While it would be facile to imply that the physical circumstances of death are irrelevant, I can say that a person's mental and spiritual preparedness is far more important in determining whether one experiences what we'd refer to as a "good death."

Having seen a few bad ones, it's definitely not the preferred option. Folks that exit gracefully have done the preparatory work to accept their circumstances, make peace with it, and resolve any unfinished business with family and friends. As with most things in life, a little planning can go a long ways in easing one's path, especially that last stretch to the finish.

The earlier quote regarding "today being a good day to die" is sound advice, assuming one fully grasps the implications.

30 cal slut
05-04-12, 08:56
"It should be your goal in life to die well."

-Kyle Defoor

Easier said than done.

We try. :)

Cincinnatus
05-04-12, 10:38
On a lighter note, above all:
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/winfield813/never-give-up113.jpg

Cincinnatus
05-04-12, 10:41

I'll quote Outlaw Josey Wales:
"We gonna bury them fellas?"
"To hell with them fellas. *spit* Buzzards gotta eat, same with worms."
:D