PDA

View Full Version : Capped or exposed preference for 1-4/6x

VIP3R 237
05-02-12, 23:52
For ar15 general shooting what style of turrets do you prefer on a 1-4/6x scope? I thought i would prefer the exposed "tacticool" turrets but after using them and having my chest rig disrupting my zero i think im all for capped.

Opinions?

aflin
05-03-12, 02:57
Who cares if it looks "tacti-cool". Get something that is functional, meaning capped turrents. You'll rarely be dialing in the turrents with a 1-4

deadlyfire
05-03-12, 04:35
Capped- set. forget. practice holdovers.

aguila327
05-03-12, 08:17
I also have come to the capped solution. Was getting tired of finding my knobs moved while in the soft case, or as I was moving in a tight area.

TAZ
05-03-12, 08:58
Depends on what your intended use for the scope is. General purpose minute of man kind of application capped is the way to go. If you're looking to do some precision work, 1-6/8 or greater magnification scope, capped is not ideal unless you have a Horus type reticle. Holding for windage and elevation with a standard mil dot or plex reticle is not conducive to precision shooting. With caps you also need to commit to holds pretty much or be super anal about returning to zero before the caps go back on. Forget to return to zero and you'll never know with the caps on till you miss.

I'd personally like to see more low profile locking turrets like the ones Leupold is using on the Mk6 line. Seems like the best of both worlds. You don't have to worry about the turret moving as the rifle is sloshed about, but have the ability to dial elevation for precise shots. You can also see if you are off your zero before you send rounds down range and have to wonder why you missed the barn.

ra2bach
05-03-12, 10:49
capped for 1-4 with mil reticle. turret with higher mag...

Jaysop
05-03-12, 11:02
Capped! Youll never regret it.
Turrets and you probably will.

tonyxcom
05-03-12, 17:12
For the type of shooting I do with my scoped AR's (Bench/prone precision) I like the exposed turrets better.

rob_s
05-03-12, 17:37
Capped, big time. I have already bumped the turrets on the VXR Patrol I have.

I believe this is yet another example of there being very few in the shooting manufacturing and sales side that actually shoots, or understands what shooters want. The Patrol is "tactical" therefore it gets "tactical" turrets.

I'd greatly prefer the non-Patrol VXR with the capped turrets but the reticule isn't the same and I prefer the Patrol reticule.

Alaskapopo
05-03-12, 21:37
For a precision rifle then go exposed turrets however on a fighting rifle go with capped turrets.
Pat

SA80Dan
05-11-12, 10:54
Another vote for capped. Once had my Viper PST change on me at a 3 gun match - shorthanded squad so I was downrange pasting targets, came back, hastily pulled my rifle out my bag and stepped straight up for my turn...didn't realise the windage turret had moved 2 MOA. As it was a long range stage, I ended up with a really sucky and frustrating round.

Needless to say I now have the turrets taped off...on a 1-4x with an appropriate reticle, you really don't need to dial adjustments anyway....holds'll do fine even at a few hundred yards. I can of course see the merit of target turrets on a higher powered scope on a precision rifle...just not on a 1-4/6x.

lifebreath
05-11-12, 11:49
Capped. I see very little need for dialing things in with low-powered variables. Just give me a good reticle for holds.

Different story for a precision rig with medium or high power scopes.