PDA

View Full Version : Knights Sr-15 or Larue PredatAR

Blackbart
05-03-12, 00:38
Going to pick up one of these soon and needed to hear from anyone who has spent trigger time with either. (Heck, I've never handled them so some feedback there would be nice to have).

The rifle will be used as a range/coyote/training gun set up with a red dot, with 3/4 of the ammo being 55 gr and the remainder being 75-77gr match. I'm guessing they both would be in the ballpark with relation to given accuracy if the right ammo is fed through them.

My main concern with the Knights is some proprietary parts that I understand aren't interchangeable with other ARs (Bolts). Other questions that come to mind would be the balance and weight (front end, if any) and expected reliability.

Brahmzy
05-03-12, 01:01
Tough choice right there. Shot many SRs and a few OBRs but haven't even got to handle a PredatAR yet. I think the Magpul edition SR ( or similarly equipped, URXIII, 3T etc.) would be the only SR I'd buy over the LaRue. I've heard the PredatARs are just plain sick guns, and damn accurate for the weight.

polymorpheous
05-03-12, 01:11
Come or Pepsi?

This is the 4th brand X or brand Y thread this week.
At least.

Please use the search function.

payj
05-03-12, 01:48
I own both. For the money you cannot beat the Larue. I give the nod of fit and finish to the Larue. I think the Sr-15 is more of a battle rifle where as the Larue is a mix of hunting and battle more or less. The stainless Larue barrel might be better for hunting for its accuracy because of its stainless barrel.

The Knights does have the propriety parts, but should last a long time because of the design. I see this rifle as a more shtf gun. It is very light and well balanced. The Larue is light too, but I think the knights has a better "feel" to it if that makes sense. My go to gun is the knights, but would have no qualms grabbing the Larue.

As you can see I am just going back and forth. Here it is broken down: Larue for hunting or non shtf stuff, or if first AR you can not beat the price.....Sr-15 for shtf battle not so much for the hunting stuff. Cost more too around $500 or so. That could be money for an optic on the Larue. Food for thought....

JG1911
05-03-12, 02:22
I have a KAC SR-15e3 and I really like the rifle, it balances really well, the trigger is great, it's super accurate, and recoil is pretty mild.

Things I don't like about it:

-I don't like the integral folding front sight, you cannot mount anything on top of it, and you cannot slide anything from the front back because of the button that unlocks the sight. Looks cool, but I would have preferred some other arrangement.

-I don't like the ambi controls, this is maybe user choice, but I really think the ambi-bolt release is not so great, it is located too close (under) the dustcover to be of much use. When I attempted to use the right-side bolt release, I just kept mashing the dust cover.

-If you try to use swivels at the point by the pistol grip/safety, it'll interfere with you trying to operate the safety, in my experience.

-The outside of my barrel rusted after being at the range in light rain and leaving it overnight. Maybe just bad luck, but I've never had an AR rust under such minor use.

-Wish they would have shaved down the right side thumb safety.

Still a great rifle IMHO, other than my "minor" complaints, the rifle "feels" really good over other rifles (Colt 6920, DD M4 and DDLAV model) I have no experience with LaRue's rifles.

rob_s
05-03-12, 06:09
I own both. For the money you cannot beat the Larue. I give the nod of fit and finish to the Larue. I think the Sr-15 is more of a battle rifle where as the Larue is a mix of hunting and battle more or less. The stainless Larue barrel might be better for hunting for its accuracy because of its stainless barrel.

The Knights does have the propriety parts, but should last a long time because of the design. I see this rifle as a more shtf gun. It is very light and well balanced. The Larue is light too, but I think the knights has a better "feel" to it if that makes sense. My go to gun is the knights, but would have no qualms grabbing the Larue.

As you can see I am just going back and forth. Here it is broken down: Larue for hunting or non shtf stuff, or if first AR you can not beat the price.....Sr-15 for shtf battle not so much for the hunting stuff. Cost more too around $500 or so. That could be money for an optic on the Larue. Food for thought....

I think that's a pretty good analysis. The SR15 should be lighter too, I think. Do you know if it is?

My concern with the PredatAR is barrel life. I know they say they'll replace them (although no mention of what that costs) if you shoot one out but they are quoting a pretty low round count to failure I believe.

Pappabear
05-03-12, 08:52
I understand they have proprietary parts with BCG. However, I understand you can still run the gun with a regular BCG. It has these upgraded parts, but it's not like your getting a piston gun that you won't be able to fix or replace parts 10 years from now. I was initially freaked about this too, but don't think it's an issue.

If anyone knows of any parts, that if went down, a good armorer couldn't get you back into the battle, I would like to know.

My SR-15 is the most well balanced, light weight rifle I own. Like others, I see LARUE as a more precision rig. And their fit n finish is outstanding but so is the SR. I suggest getting both :D

Brahmzy
05-03-12, 09:41
I suggest getting both :D

I see this as the only viable solution. :p

That, or build an equally capable rifle, or two, if that's your thing.

MCS
05-03-12, 09:52
I think that's a pretty good analysis. The SR15 should be lighter too, I think. Do you know if it is?

My concern with the PredatAR is barrel life. I know they say they'll replace them (although no mention of what that costs) if you shoot one out but they are quoting a pretty low round count to failure I believe.

The Larue Predatobr is a solution for the barrel issue, but at the cost of increasedweight.

cj5_dude
05-03-12, 10:11
Come or Pepsi?

At least.

Uhhhhhh, if those are my choices then PEPSI!!!! The other sounds horrible.

As far as the choice, those who pointed you towards Larue are spot on. It's more of the hunting rifle where the SR is more of a combat rifle.

JChops
05-03-12, 10:12

The KAC is lighter but just by a few ounces, yes.

Brahmzy
05-03-12, 10:34

BWAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just about spit out my coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feedramp
05-03-12, 10:47

lol overzealous backseat moderation bit him in the butt on that one eh? :D

deadly0311
05-03-12, 10:59
I have spent considerable time with both. My newest acquirement is the KAC SR-15 Mod 1 which has the URX 3.1 (the slick rail with short sections and true picatinny mounted flip ups, not integrated).

Weight wise, with the stuff that I put on my guns its very negligible. Maybe a couple ounces here or there. I will say that the new SR-15 with 3.1 and TT is an amazingly fast combo. I would also disagree with the poster that said Larue fit and finish is better (personal opinion). Likewise if I need to tear something down, and I have done both guns, the Larue is leaps and bounds harder in my limited selection because he must use a gallon of red locktite when assembling the gun.

Accuracy wise, its a toss up. I did notice that the KAC tends to stay with me a little longer than the Larue when the barrels get good and hot. The PredatAR barrel profile is to thin to mount most suppressors on, while the Knights isn't ideal, it can be done with good results.

If you were to put all three guns in front of me right now
-SR15 E3
-SR15 Mod 1
-PredatAR

I would pick the Mod 1 hands down any day, and my second choice would be a toss up between the PredatAR and E3 and I would let price dictate there.

JSGlock34
05-03-12, 20:12
I'll start worrying about the proprietary bolt in my SR-15E3 when I start seeing pictures of broken bolts. The information from KAC suggests that you'll shoot out the barrel before the bolt breaks.

I think these are both fine rifles and I would happily own either (and do own the KAC). I suspect the SR-15E3 combination of the cold hammer forged barrel and E3 bolt means it will last longer without parts replacement than the pencil profile stainless barrel and standard bolt on the PredatAR.

I was very impressed with the SR-15E3 Mod 1 I handled the other day. I keep thinking about going to the URX III...

rob_s
05-03-12, 20:19
I was very impressed with the SR-15E3 Mod 1 I handled the other day. I keep thinking about going to the URX III...

I think I'd probably opt for that model too.

http://www.smallarmsales.com/Knight_s_Armament_SR_15E3_IWS_Mod1_Carbine_p/30351.htm

GlockWRX
05-03-12, 21:04
I've been very pleased with my SR-15. The Mod 1 version corrects every (minor) quibble I've had with the rifle.

Not to mention that you can buy an SR-15 right now and have it in hand inside a week. You'll wait months for the LaRue unless you find one on a shelf somewhere.

Failure2Stop
05-03-12, 21:22
So are the new SR15s turning in better precision than previously?

TehLlama
05-03-12, 21:25
SR-15, sell the SOPMOD and KAC trigger guard for MOE Grip, Stock, and TG.
My SR15 has been a pretty solid 2MOA unit with PPU 75gr and 69gr, which is more than I was really expecting. I wish I could make up my mind about keeping and shooting the SR15MD or not.

Nothing wrong with the PredatAR, but the 7.62 are the more convincing argument, with the PredatOBRs looking like the ideal platform to suppress.

rob_s
05-03-12, 21:26
So are the new SR15s turning in better precision than previously?

Trey told me to expect 2 MOA with my pre-production T&E gun way back when. Were they doing worse than that? I really haven't kept tabs on them in that department, or noticed any major complaints.

Blackbart
05-04-12, 01:25
Come or Pepsi?

At least.

I just lost my mom a couple of days ago so it just slipped my mind.

Guys thank you for all the feedback. I have a Knights on hold (NIB) for $1700 so that's one of the main reasons, dollar wise, as to which route I might go.
It's a bit hard to think about guns with the pending funeral and such right now. I saw the deal and figured it's one of those windows that doesn't open very often. I am grateful for the feed back, it's been helpful in answering some questions.

Thanks again all.

Failure2Stop
05-04-12, 10:18
Trey told me to expect 2 MOA with my pre-production T&E gun way back when. Were they doing worse than that? I really haven't kept tabs on them in that department, or noticed any major complaints.

I recalled complaints about SR15s being less accurate than other comparable carbines. 2 MOA is not what I would consider to be "bad", so I must be mistaken.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GlockWRX
05-04-12, 14:46
I have about 5,000 rounds through my SR-15. 99% of that is with Federal XM193. I haven't noticed any accuracy issues with it, however I am not a bench shooter and don't take a dial caliper to the range. I would say that in comparison to the LWRC M6A2, 6920, 6520, and DDM4 they are on par with each other. During sight in and verification during classes, they all made similar sized groups. I will say though, that the thin post in the KAC flip front sight helped make smaller iron sight groups. These are all samples of one so take that FWIW.

I think they could all be 2 MOA guns, but I'll either need a magnified optic or better eyes to pull that off. I can shoot .5 inch groups at 50 yards, but my eyesight can't make a 1 inch group at 100 yards.

mtdawg169
05-04-12, 15:24
I recalled complaints about SR15s being less accurate than other comparable carbines. 2 MOA is not what I would consider to be "bad", so I must be mistaken.

I've had two complete E3s and a third upper. The best of them was an early production gun with the original gas port specs. It would shoot 1moa or better with good ammo. The other two, my current one included, average 1.5 - 1.75 moa with good ammo. My best group ever with my current SR15 was 1.2" @ 100 yds with 75 gr TAP Practice. I've had good success with mk 262, 75 gr Hornady TAP Practice, Southwest 77 & 69 gr and Hornady 55 gr ballistic tip ammo. All accuracy testing was done from a bench with a 14x Nikon scope, 10 round groups. Plenty accurate for me.

OP, the proprietary parts are not a concern for those of us that own the E3. Try a search for "proprietary parts" or "SR15". You'll find the reasons have been well discussed here before. I'd take the E3 for the barrel & E3 bolt if I was looking for a durable, general use AR. If you're looking for pure accuracy, the LaRue would probably fit the bill. It's too light of a profile for my tastes though. The new hybrid predatOBR fixes the lw barrel issue, but weight will be the tradeoff.

If you get the KAC, please for the love of God, run good ammo in it. If you prefer cheap steel cased stuff, it's not the gun for you.

deadly0311
05-04-12, 17:29
With my 2 SR15s I have noticed that if I feed it good ammo, Black Hills 77 SMKs or Hornady 75 TAP it will shoot about 3/4 to 1 MOA @ 100yds with my Hensoldt on it. With my T1 that normally resides on it, it is a 1-2 MOA gun.

bp7178
05-04-12, 22:47
If you get the KAC, please for the love of God, run good ammo in it. If you prefer cheap steel cased stuff, it's not the gun for you.

I've had two guns now of similar barrel/gas ratios.

One being a MSTN 16" Noveske barrel with an intermediate length gas system, and the other being a SR-15E3.

The gas port on the SR is larger than the MSTN one. IIRC, the SR gas port is the same size (or close to) of an 18" with a rifle length gas system. I would guess it to be .105 or slightly larger. By comparison, the MSTN/Noveske one was about .093.

I wish my SR had a smaller gas port, but I understand it was a compromise to get it to run better on low powered ammo, which IMO is a user issue not a gun issue. If you can afford a $1800-2000 dollar rifle, you can afford to feed it 5.56mm ammunition, which is probably cheaper in bulk anyway, save for the Russian stuff, which has its own issues.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting my SR15 barrel down to 14.5". I read in a thread...somewhere...that Knights says it will run in that configuration. I think it will do so because of how big the new production gas ports are.

I don't think the SR15 and the Larue rifle are in the same league. Both are designed for different things. That being said, I wouldn't get a light profile stainless barrel. If the Larue is your thing, go with the hybrid PredatOBR. Best of both worlds. If I had it to do again, that is probably the route I would go, provided it was even available.

To the SR15 and accuracy, I can pretty routinely get 2-2.2 MOA or better 10 shot groups with 5.56mm pressure ammo at 100 yards with nothing more than a 2 MOA T-1. I consider this great accuracy for a 7lb gun with a light profile chrome lined barrel.

Eventually, I get a 1-6x and some 77gr and do some serious testing, but I have a couple of things I want to change on my SR15 first.

XM193

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/roguedemon/XM193100Yards1.jpg

Speer 55gr Gold Dot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/roguedemon/Speer100Yards1.jpg

FChen17213
05-28-12, 12:43
I know that there are a lot of X vs. Y threads lately, but this really is a pretty even comparison in my opinion....pricewise especially. I know a lot of people say that the Predatar is just $1495, but you have to keep in mind that it doesn't come with iron sights. The KAC comes with the uber expensive KAC flip up sights. The newer models come with the URX 3.1 and micro flipups. If you can find an SR-15 (newest model) for around $1750-$1850, I'd say that's actually about the same price point as the Larue Predatar. Keep in mind you'll have to spend about $250 for flipup sights for the Larue. Also, the MOE stock costs significantly less than the SOPMOD. It seems to me like many dealers are trying to move their older SR-15s for anywhere from $1650-1900. By older, I mean the model with the picatinny flip up front sight and older rail.

hotbiggun42
05-30-12, 11:35
I know that there are a lot of X vs. Y threads lately, but this really is a pretty even comparison in my opinion....pricewise especially. I know a lot of people say that the Predatar is just $1495, but you have to keep in mind that it doesn't come with iron sights. The KAC comes with the uber expensive KAC flip up sights. The newer models come with the URX 3.1 and micro flipups. If you can find an SR-15 (newest model) for around $1750-$1850, I'd say that's actually about the same price point as the Larue Predatar. Keep in mind you'll have to spend about $250 for flipup sights for the Larue. Also, the MOE stock costs significantly less than the SOPMOD. It seems to me like many dealers are trying to move their older SR-15s for anywhere from $1650-1900. By older, I mean the model with the picatinny flip up front sight and older rail.

I guess then it comes down to which company has better customer service. I only have experience with LaRue and they are excellent people to deal with. How is KAC?

og556
05-30-12, 12:08
KAC rifles come with a 1 year warranty.

Not sure about Larue but I have dealt with their CS before and it was excellent.

VegasKyle
06-04-12, 01:14
If you are going to shoot a lot of rounds the KAC may be a better choice. Using a red dot, I'm not sure the increase in accuracy of the Larue is going to outweigh the shorter barrel life (or be noticed with a 1x optic and 55gr ball). To me 10k rounds isn't a whole lot so the SR-15 was a better choice, I also have a more accurate ar with a 3.5-10x scope to fill the accuracy void.

As for the E3 bolt; in an end of the world/ zombie or whatever the hell type sceneario where people think it's going to be a problem, you can use a standard bolt if you have to. Otherwise I'd just order a replacement.

Also are you willing to wait for the Larue? I had my KAC in 3 days.

hotbiggun42
06-04-12, 10:16
If you are going to shoot a lot of rounds the KAC may be a better choice. Using a red dot, I'm not sure the increase in accuracy of the Larue is going to outweigh the shorter barrel life (or be noticed with a 1x optic and 55gr ball). To me 10k rounds isn't a whole lot so the SR-15 was a better choice, I also have a more accurate ar with a 3.5-10x scope to fill the accuracy void.

As for the E3 bolt; in an end of the world/ zombie or whatever the hell type sceneario where people think it's going to be a problem, you can use a standard bolt if you have to. Otherwise I'd just order a replacement.

Also are you willing to wait for the Larue? I had my KAC in 3 days.

The 10k round barrel life concerns me also just a bit. But assuming a person who buys a LaRue will be using mach ammo we are talking what $10k or more worth of ammo before you barrel is shot out? If you can afford the ammo surely you could afford a new $500 barrel.
The Zombie end of the world sceneario is code for "what if KAC goes out buisness and you cannot buy their proprietary parts". Good to know a KAC rifle will accept std BCGs I have learned something new today.
Personally, I own neither but really like both rifles. the reviews on both are outstanding. If it were me and it will be one day I would go with LaRue just because of the awsome customer service they have given me in the past.

badness
06-04-12, 14:44
The 10k round barrel life concerns me also just a bit. But assuming a person who buys a LaRue will be using mach ammo we are talking what $10k or more worth of ammo before you barrel is shot out? If you can afford the ammo surely you could afford a new $500 barrel.
The Zombie end of the world sceneario is code for "what if KAC goes out buisness and you cannot buy their proprietary parts". Good to know a KAC rifle will accept std BCGs I have learned something new today.
Personally, I own neither but really like both rifles. the reviews on both are outstanding. If it were me and it will be one day I would go with LaRue just because of the awsome customer service they have given me in the past.

You pay $1000 for 1000 rounds? Do your bullets have a gold jacket on them?

bp7178
06-04-12, 15:26
You pay $1000 for 1000 rounds? Do your bullets have a gold jacket on them?

That's about the going price for match ammunition. Actual Mk 262 ammo is even a tick higher than that.

To the topic, I have a SR15 and I still find myself wanting a PredatAR...

badness
06-04-12, 15:39
That's about the going price for match ammunition. Actual Mk 262 ammo is even a tick higher than that.

To the topic, I have a SR15 and I still find myself wanting a PredatAR...

yes. My mistake. My dealer selling black hills ammo was selling blue box.

Alex V
06-04-12, 19:01
Originally I wanted a SR15 to replace my current AR which I bought before I knew better. Unfortunately with the retarded rules in the state I live in it was difficult to find anyone willing to sell me the rifle and modify it in their shop to meet the regs, and those who would wanted over $2200 for it before the modifications.

LaRue was willing to pin a BattleComp (which I mailed them) and provide an otherwise NJ legal rifle without so much as a murmur of a problem. Coupled with the $1500 base price, even after the BattleComp and shop service and adding $200 irons I'm still spending less than what I was quoted for a SR15.

If I lived in a normal state maybe my decision would have been harder, but I don't, and LaRue was willing to help when other's did not. Sure the 14 week wait sucks and I may not have it for the first of two carbine classes this summer, but hey, I waited nearly 6months for a solid roller race motor to be built for my TA... So I'm used to it.

I don't plan to baby it, and I will more than likely run cheap bulk or Russian ammo through it in classes, but I am not an LEO and don't have a grueling training/shooting schedule. I do this as a hobby and 10000 rounds will take me at least 2 or 3 years to reach. In that time I think I new barrel will be fine by me. I've changed setups on my race car at about the same rate so this will be yet another hobby hobby that has a similar turnover.

VegasKyle
06-04-12, 20:13

You bring up some good points.

If only Fed GMM or the like was going to be used, then yeah the price of a re-barrel would be nothing vs. what was spent on ammo. If only super high end ammo was going to be used I feel like the Larue would be the clear choice between the 2. I was thinking more in terms of the OP who stated 75% 55gr ball 25% match. I don't know what kind of volume the OP plans to shoot but I should put well over 10k through my SR-15 in the first year.

As for Knights going under; if it came to that, my e3 bolt broke and I wasn't able to source a replacement. I guess I'd be forced to get a new barrel with a standard receiver extension.

The whole "proprietary parts" argument as a reason not to get a SR-15 bugs me. At some point you are going to have to go beyond mil-spec parts or you hit a limit to what you can do with the AR. What if no one wanted a car that's parts wern't interchangeable with a model-T? People are free to do what they wish but I think it's silly to dismis something as good as the SR-15 for that reason alone.

Edit: My understanding is the standard bolt in the E3 barrel extension is an "in case of emergency" only type thing. If I'm lucky enough to shoot out the barrel in my SR maybe I'll try it.

Casull
06-04-12, 20:22
Datapoint for this thread is that it's a bit more than 10K. Costa says it's 15K, although that's referring to the PredatOBR which has a thicker barrel. It's still stainless, however.

lifebreath
06-05-12, 15:20
The SR-15 will run with a standard bolt just fine, if needs be. The bolt carrier is already standard.

I have an SR-15 and a stainless Noveske 16" Recce upper. Not exactly apples to apples for your question, but close enough for some comparison. The SR-15 is a battle rifle, and I would choose it over a stainless barrel for hard use. The balance and feel is hard to beat. Just about anyone who picks it up immediately likes the way it handles, which only increases when they shoot it. It's a very hard rifle to beat out of the box.

The stainless Noveske match barrel is far more accurate than my SR-15. The SR-15 is about a 1.5 - 2 MOA rifle; the Noveske is a 0.5 or less MOA rifle. For me, the primary reason for a stainless barrel is accuracy, and if I want repeatable accuracy, I want a somewhat heavy profile. I don't really see the appeal of a skinny stainless barrel, except perhaps in some very limited applications.

In terms of an accurate chrome-lined "standard" AR barrel, my 14.5" BCM middy is 1 MOA. I don't know if that's a fluke or common, but it's worth considering.

I will note that I had failure-to-chamber problems with my SR-15 from the start. I sent the rifle back to Knights, they attempted to replicate the problem without success and sent it back to me, after which I continued to have the problem. It seems to be just on the threshold of some problem that manifests when I use any lubrication other than CLP. The issue has gotten better after 4000 or more rounds down the pipe, but it's still there. I have a friend who has three SR-15's, has run them hard in multiple classes and has never had a lick of trouble. He replaced the old rail with the new rifle-length URX II, and it's very nice. However, I prefer the original configuration.

SteveS
06-05-12, 20:20
I would suggest a Colt or a BCM. Quality guns made from quality parts.

amac
06-05-12, 21:32
There's nothing like the feel of a Stoner rifle! The rifle certainly shoots great, feels great and is set up for combat application. I preferred the ambi lower over others. The QD ports are well thought out. The balance of the rifle is the fist thing that will get you. The intermediate gas system gives off little to no recoil. Add a good muzzle break and it will shoot flat all day. Most important, don't attempt to make it "run" any better by tinkering with the buffer or buffer springs. The rifle is tuned and runs perfect.

However, for your stated application, I think you may be happier with the PredatAR. I haven't shot one, but gave one a thorough examination at the Texas City Multi Gun in April. That is one bad ass weapon. The fit and finish are tight. The forward rail has a 1.5" diameter and makes the front end feel lighter. Add the light weight barrel and you have a gun that will not wear you down. The sales rep was talking up the barrel and its accuracy. He was claiming .5 moa and mentioned that once the barrel heated, it would only move another .5 moa up or down. Their "proprietary" barrel is designed not to sling rounds left or right when hot. Not my words.

Personally, if accuracy is your primary need, get the PredatOBR. The primary drawback to Larue is the wait time. I think 3-4 months is ridiculous. With an SR15 ready to ship, I think your mind is made up. Enjoy. Either way, you will not be disappointed.

jhs1969
06-05-12, 23:08
I would suggest a Colt or a BCM. Quality guns made from quality parts.

Umm, no. I have both and both are now seeking a new home to make room for a SR-15.

No issues from me on the Colt or BCM, but I personally feel the SR is worth it. Therefore, MY decision is to sacrafice the first two to fund the SR. Again my decision and my opinion, but I feel the SR probably can't be beat for MY application. Others' mileage may differ.

Casull
06-06-12, 19:04
These aren't ordinary AR-15's we're talkin' about here, nuff said. :big_boss:

I'm thinking a lot about the PredatOBR and SR-15 now days.
I often wonder about what the performance of the PredatAR's barrel not in how many rounds it shoots but in all other aspects. Wouldn't it actually be lighter if the barrel wasn't Stainless???

bp7178
06-06-12, 19:23
Yes, but accuracy would take a hit.

If it could be done, I would love to see a PredatAR with a chrome lined light weight barrel, provided it could maintain 1.5 MOA with good ammo.

What attracts me more and more to the PredatAR over the SR15 is the upper & lower receiver and rail system including its attatchment to the upper.

I'll probably end up buying a PredatAR. If worse comes to worse, and its barrel is shot out, I'll consider replacing it with a chrome lined barrel.

Casull
06-06-12, 19:50
Is the barrel not proprietary then?

bp7178
06-06-12, 20:00
No, it has some unique features. It's light profile, LW50 stainless construction, and slightly modified chamber fluting, but it's otherwise typical of AR15 barrels. The barrel nut is just a large machined brass nut. You won't need a $125 wrench for it.

A guy on TOS re-barreled a OBR from .308 to .260.