PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with my first build (300BLK/Retro Inspired)

302w
05-03-12, 11:36
First off, Im new. Ive been lurking here for awhile and I really like what you guys have here. I have never fired, owned, or built an AR before but I recently became interested for one reason only: 300 Blackout. Here is my current build plans, I am going for a retro inspired carbine build using an Ironwood Designs A1 wood Carbine stockset. Stock will run me almost $300 more.

Essential Arms Lower: $90
Lower Parts kit: $60
total: $200 with FFL Fee

Upper: EA: $88
Rear sight assembly, EA:$40
Upper parts kit: EA: $40
Delta ring: $30
CMMG Barrel 16": $200
BCG: $120
gas tube: 13
total: $440

Thoughts? My only concern is most people are running 300 BLK with 9" barrels and supressors, I have no interest in an SBR (cant own one in my state), and I would like to get a decent range out of this. Most of my shooting will be around 100 yards or so, but I would like to get about the same range as a 5.56. I still need a few miscellanious things like a front sight, but that will get covered.

I also want a USGI 20 round mag, but I am limited to 15 rounds :mad:

evotistic
05-04-12, 08:13
I am by no means an SME, but from what I have gathered reading on this site, the 300BLK round "falls like a rock thrown by a baby" outside of 300 yds.

Can anyone confirm? Or tell me I have read too much and am confused, lol.

B

7.62WildBill
05-04-12, 20:05
Thoughts?

I am a fine woodworker, not an armorer. From the perspective of style, the mix of "retro" wood furniture with the "new hotness" caliber seems to be mismatched. I am very biased towards wood anything, but wood on an AR seems wrong to me. But taste is subjective, so to each his own.

Never heard of Essential Arms. You should probably do a lot of research before ordering from them. When I buy parts, I prefer to spend my money with companies that have a solid reputation.

edit: For a first AR, you should just but a Colt 6920, ammo, and training. Then build your custom rifle.

thehammer69
05-04-12, 20:49
Thoughts?

Never heard of Essential Arms. You should probably do a lot of research before ordering from them. When I buy parts, I prefer to spend my money with companies that have a solid reputation.

Essential Arms has been around for a while. While I've heard some of their kit parts can be suspect, their lower receivers are solid and I picked up 3 of them back when Obama first got elected and AR parts were hard to come by.

killjoythedestroyer
05-09-12, 22:53
I think that alot of people here would agree that you should not build a rifle based on what you read or hear. I don't know if you have researched the cost of .300 BLK ammo but it is pretty high compared to 5.56. If you like to shoot alot and are on a budget you might be dissapointed. I am interested in the .300BLK myself but it is still to new to me to go full bore into. For a first build I would keep it simple. I also don't think that you would be to happy with a wood stock setup. The main reason to own an AR is for all the adjustable and customizable parts and add ons. Everyone starts out with a short list of what they think they will "need". Soon it will grow ten fold. Just my opinion. Hope this helps some. Best to do as much hands on research as possible. Get out and find places to hold, feel, and maybe shoot some examples before you jump in. The pool is deep.