PDA

View Full Version : Using software to produce NFA trusts?

t15
05-03-12, 15:45
I've read lots of posts from people who have used estate planners like Quicken and such with success. I've also read countless posts of people who have heard of these trusts being illegitimate and revoked. Never have I read a post of someone saying this happened to them.

I am ready to purchase my next toy and the benefits of a trust appeal to me and my situation. I called the Apple law firm that everyone recommends, but they want $650!

I guess what I'm asking is,
If you took the do it yourself route, did it work? How long have you had your toy? How recently did you file the paper work? And what software did you use or suggest?

I am in Wisconsin and building a silenced SBR if this helps!

-Thank you!

calviroman
05-03-12, 20:34
I did it with Quicken Willmaker 2012 - which includes a one year use of the NOLA Online Living Trust. Took me about 90 minutes all together. I copied all the text over into Word so if I ever need to modify the trust in the future I wont need to spend any more money. I think it cost me $35.

Thereare some dudes on the forum that will do them for you -- I think they charge about $300. That may be a better way to go if you have some complicated circumstances. If its just you or just you and your wife, and you have a specific person you want as the beneficiary, then its just plug and chug. The more complicated you make it -- the more likely you are to be better off having one of these guys do it.

t15
05-03-12, 20:39
Thank you for the quick reply, I'm just gonna' go for it!

Amazon.com here I come!

t15
05-03-12, 20:45
Does this seem right?

http://www.amazon.com/Quicken-WillMaker-Plus-2012-Download/dp/B005IHW2HE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336095620&sr=8-2

I see here it says, "Includes free access to Nolo's Online Living Trust".
I take it that's the important bit?

Thanks again!

TehLlama
05-03-12, 21:26
Even the older Willmaker versions will work, found a used copy on Amazon for under $8, and since this is the only use I have for that, it's been fine.

calviroman
05-03-12, 22:41
Problem with older version is that the Free online NOLA Trust thing didn't work (I tried Willmaker 2011 and had this problem). I'd get 2012 version.

SteveL
05-03-12, 22:42
I recently bought a new copy of Willmaker 2008. It loaded and runs fine on my Windows 7 computer (even thought it's not specified that it will) and it includes the trust software. I paid about $7 for it on Amazon. Obviously I haven't tried using it to buy anything yet though.

calviroman
05-03-12, 22:48
Good deal. I first bought the 2011 version and when I went to the online living trust site it said the one year free offer was expired? I was able to get a refund on the software (it was $19) and I bought the 2012 for approx $35.

t15
05-03-12, 23:46
Thanks a ton for the replies guys. I bought the 2012 version.. And so it begins!

sammage
05-04-12, 08:11
Subscribed!

FYI, you can subscribe by clicking on Thread Tools at the top of the thread.

polymorpheous
05-04-12, 08:23
I've read lots of posts from people who have used estate planners like Quicken and such with success. I've also read countless posts of people who have heard of these trusts being illegitimate and revoked. Never have I read a post of someone saying this happened to them.

I am ready to purchase my next toy and the benefits of a trust appeal to me and my situation. I called the Apple law firm that everyone recommends, but they want $650!

I guess what I'm asking is,
If you took the do it yourself route, did it work? How long have you had your toy? How recently did you file the paper work? And what software did you use or suggest?

I am in Wisconsin and building a silenced SBR if this helps!

-Thank you!

Whereabouts in Wisconsin?

t15
05-04-12, 08:31
Communist Madison :help:

I'm going to install WillMaker tonight!

polymorpheous
05-04-12, 08:35
Sorry buddy, there's no help for you!:jester:

I'm in Milwaukee.

shaneinhisroom
05-04-12, 11:43
Would it be better to get a real attorney rather than WillMaker if I'm going to be changing addresses every 5-8 years?

Packman73
05-04-12, 12:26
I also used Quicken Willmaker in '09. Was pretty simple as I recall.

darwing31
05-04-12, 14:56
FYI, you can subscribe by clicking on Thread Tools at the top of the thread.

Thanks

Would it be better to get a real attorney rather than WillMaker if I'm going to be changing addresses every 5-8 years?

I would also like to know the answer to this. The main reason I don't yet own any NFA items is how frequently I travel.

tb-av
05-04-12, 15:39
You will need to know the NFA rules and Trust rules for each State.

Be it lawyer or software. A worse case scenario seems like

State A - State A Trust - legal NFA item

move to State B

State B does not recognize State A trust and requires different wording.
New State B Trust

How to Transfer NFA item from Trust A to Trust B.

That sounds like it could get really expensive either way you go.

ETA: Now that I think about it. I suppose the Trust exists on a Federal level, just like the NFA laws. So I suppose if State B required new wording, you just change it and send a copy to BATF. IOW, the original trust doesn't cease it simply gets a few changes.

Should be easy enough to do.

Robb Jensen
05-04-12, 18:28
The software works I originally did my Trust with Quicken. I recently added 3 trustees and the software wouldn't allow me to edit it in that section. So I used an attorney who also redesigned the whole thing and changed some other things for me too.

hunt_ak
05-05-12, 01:33
The software works I originally did my Trust with Quicken. I recently added 3 trustees and the software wouldn't allow me to edit it in that section. So I used an attorney who also redesigned the whole thing and changed some other things for me too.

Is this what we could call a 'clue'? I am reading as much as I can on the subject and it seems that if you had a few folks going in on the 'trust', splitting attorney fees would make it fairly inexpensive...

Did you do it locally, Robb, or did you do the Apple Firm route?

panzerr
05-05-12, 07:32
Good luck with the software. Hopefully your trust never comes under scrutiny. The ATF may approve a dicked up trust simply because they don't have a JD look at each one that crosses their desk so having them approve a form 1 on a trust means nothing for the correctness/strength of the verbage.

Without having a JD familiar with your states particular laws look at it you are taking a shot in the dark. Spending the money on a JD is peace of mind and cheap insurance in the long run.

And insurance is really the reason to do a trust. So when you die your guns don't go by-by. They belong to the trust thus they will stay with the trust with or without you.

Robb Jensen
05-05-12, 07:41
Is this what we could call a 'clue'? I am reading as much as I can on the subject and it seems that if you had a few folks going in on the 'trust', splitting attorney fees would make it fairly inexpensive...

Did you do it locally, Robb, or did you do the Apple Firm route?

I used a local pro-gun attorney who specializes in trust, estates law.

Mr blasty
05-05-12, 13:05
Whats this Apple Firm? I'm living in ND for the oil boom for the next couple of years but I'm from MN and have family there. I go there frequently and will move back some day. I have freinds and family in 2 states that I want on the trust. To make sure everything is legal in 2 states for multiple people I don't want to trust the DIY software. I don't have a competent attourny near me that I would trust to do it right so Apple sounds appealing.