PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPQ range experience

Alaskapopo
05-03-12, 22:27
Well this last christmas I got my roomate a Walther PPQ he has not had a chance to fire it till last Tuesday. We both fired it and a Glock 34 he also picked up. The PPQ trigger was nice about as nice as my Travis Haley trigger on my Glock 17. The accuracy seemed to be on par with my Glock 17 and the 34 we shot that day not really any better. But we were firing off hand not from a bench. Groups were in the 3 to 4 inch range at 25 yards. The negative with the Walther like I thought it would be was the muzzle flip it was much more pronounced than the Glock it almost felt like we were firing hotter ammo and we weren't. Overall nice gun but not nice enough to make me chose it over a Glock.
Pat

avengd7x
05-03-12, 23:15
I'll be picking up another ppq this weekend. my first one has been reliable, accurate, and feels great in my hands.

I don't notice the muzzle flip at all. It might be slightly more noticeable than my m & ps, but I can't tell a difference compared to my glocks.

what I do notice though is the drastically better stock trigger. After shooting a few hundred rounds out of ppq, I just don't seem to shoot my glocks and m & ps as well. The trigger also doesn't dig into my index finger like the glock trigger does after extended shooting.

I also don't have to dodge brass...

tdoom15
05-03-12, 23:27
I can tell there is slightly more muzzle flip with the PPQ, but it's honestly only noticeable when shooting back to back with with a couple of my other pistols.

That being said, I also ran my fastest FAST with it, and I don't notice it whatsoever when shooting. It's NOTHING like the snappiness of a .40 or anything of the sort, it's just a hair more than the glock/FN's I shoot regularly. The gun feels like it returns to target very well and the ergos and trigger are fantastic, so it's honestly a wash IMO.

Alaskapopo
05-03-12, 23:50
I really noticed the muzzle flip when running speed drills on steel targets.
Pat

F-Trooper05
05-03-12, 23:53
The first time I fired my brother in-law's PPQ I noticed that it had crazy recoil for a 9mm. The next day he put the small backstrap on it and we both agreed that it felt a hundred times better. I think the stock backstrap was causing a pressure point on our palms. Might want to give it a try.

ETA: Just noticed that you were talking about muzzle flip and not recoil. My bad.

Biggy
05-04-12, 00:38
Hickok45 doesn't seem to have any trouble controlling the PPQ's muzzle flip and he is also getting hits. Check out the vid at the 7:00 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QhiTa-7OA

VIP3R 237
05-04-12, 00:46
The first time I fired my brother in-law's PPQ I noticed that it had crazy recoil for a 9mm. The next day he put the small backstrap on it and we both agreed that it felt a hundred times better. I think the stock backstrap was causing a pressure point on our palms. Might want to give it a try.

ETA: Just noticed that you were talking about muzzle flip and not recoil. My bad.

I thought the same thing about the recoil when i fired a ppq, ill have to try the small backstrap and see if that helps. I agree with everyone about the trigger being very good.

Alaskapopo
05-04-12, 05:21
Hickok45 doesn't seem to have any trouble controlling the PPQ's muzzle flip and he is also getting hits. Check out the vid at the 7:00 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QhiTa-7OA

Imagine how much faster he would be with a gun with less muzzle flip.

avengd7x
05-04-12, 05:33
Imagine how much faster he would be with a gun with less muzzle flip.

you don't really have to imagine, he's got tons of other firearms videos. seemed to me like he consistently shot the ppq better.

DacoRoman
05-04-12, 09:39
you don't really have to imagine, he's got tons of other firearms videos. seemed to me like he consistently shot the ppq better.

that may be your bias at work, unless he shot different guns sequentially, multiple times, with a timer, it would be very difficult to tell just by looking at his video which gun he performs best with..add to that his own personal bias, familiarity, etc...bottom line you can't draw any meaningful conclusions from that video

Biggy
05-04-12, 10:51
IMHO while some gunmakers have come close, none of them have truly put it all together yet as far as pistol design and hit it clear out the park. They all have fallen short in one or more areas, thats why we have the aftermarket and places like Bowie and Apex Tactical, etc. Also just as people have different hand sizes everyone has their personal preferences in grip frame ergos (grip angles/bore to grip axis, texturing, length of grip, mag release and slide release size and location) , trigger characteristics (pull weight, takeup, reset), etc, etc. Just as I would rather have a PPQ with a Glock or M&P's bore axis I would also prefer to have a Glock or M&P from the factory with the PPQ's trigger, the PPQ's accuracy, and a H&K P-30 or PPQ's gripframe ergos/angle. As Bill Jordan said "speed is fine but accuracy is final". If your pistol is reliable, durable and accurate enough, then you will have to decide if your shooting speed is fast enough. Here are some cool one liners and wisdom from the people you lived it.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7hlW86NP5E8AR9xXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1MnZjcnU4BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDOQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0ZFRDAxMV8yNzI-/SIG=11nduuis5/EXP=1336173526/**http%3a//www.spw-duf.info/maxims.html

B Cart
05-04-12, 11:36
I've wanted a good 9mm for some time now so I borrowed a Glock 19 and ran it through a 3 day class. I REALLY tried to give the Glock 19 a chance, but I just like the ergonomics, trigger, and grip to bore axis much better on the PPQ. I shot the Glock19 and the PPQ side by side 2 days ago and the PPQ did feel slightly more snappy, however, all things considered I liked the PPQ much better.

I'll be the first to admit that I think the Glock 19 is probably the gold standard of reliable concealed carry guns. I just personally liked and shot the PPQ better so I went with that. They are both great guns though.

jhs1969
05-04-12, 12:26
The PPQ is running at the top of a very short list as my next sidearm. Thanks for the reviews, I'll keep an eye on this one.

Biggy
05-04-12, 13:01
Although maybe not as much as of late, we know Glock's reputation was built on its reliability and durability, and deservably so. While the PPQ also appears to be reliable and durable its reputation comes from its trigger, gripframe ergos and above average accuracy for a "stock" factory pistol. I own a Glock 17,19 a FS M&P 9, and a PPQ 9mm. There are things I like and dislike about all of them. My dream pistol would be something having a H&K P-30 FDE gripframe with the M&P or Glock grip to bore axis, in G-19 length (maybe slightly longer), a G19 top end that was reliable and has the PPQ's or H&K P-30 accuracy, the PPQ's trigger (5-5.5lbs), the Vicker's Glock slide lock/release and feeding it with Glock mags with the new Vicker's base plates and shooting 147gr hp ammo.

tdoom15
05-04-12, 16:12
I really noticed the muzzle flip when running speed drills on steel targets.
Pat

You're also talking a full sized 17 vs a mid sized PPQ. I think the difference would be less noticeable with a 19 and the PPQ.

Alaskapopo
05-04-12, 16:30
You're also talking a full sized 17 vs a mid sized PPQ. I think the difference would be less noticeable with a 19 and the PPQ.

I doubt it as I can't tell much of a difference between a Glock 17 and 19 when fired together. A slight difference but not much. The PPQ reminded me of the Wather P99 in 40sw I used to own in that it had a surprizing amount of muzzle flip. I thought the PPQ in 9mm would be pretty good because its only a 9mm but that was not the case while no where near as bad as the 40 in the P99 it was more than the Glock by a fair margine. Still I would rather have a PPQ than a XD, or P30. Not sure about it vs the Smith M&P as I have less trigger time on the M&P (very little)
pat

TheGut
05-04-12, 16:53
I picked up a PPQ a couple of weeks ago. Best shooting stock polymer I have ever come across. I have been extremely pleased with it. As far as muzzle flip and recoil I have not really noticed it. Between it and my M&P 9 the difference is negligible to me.

avengd7x
05-04-12, 17:29

he was comparing it to a Glock 34 too which is even longer. honestly all these mid sized polymer guns feel the same to me recoil wise. my cz75 feels like it has less recoil, but it's much heavier

trio
05-04-12, 18:07
I really like the PPQ.....to each his own....there are plenty that we don't all have to agree

Alaskapopo
05-04-12, 18:11
I really like the PPQ.....to each his own....there are plenty that we don't all have to agree

I think its a good pistol and I agree its good to have choices.
Pat

packinaglock
05-04-12, 18:29
I was checking one out at the LGS yesterday, very nice pistol. The slide looked pretty thick though.

Omega Man
05-04-12, 22:29
The PPQ has the most recoil of any 9mm semi auto, that I've ever shot. It is also one of the most accurate semi autos I've ever tried. Its easier for me to shoot a G19 at speed, than a PPQ.

Alaskapopo
05-05-12, 01:35
The PPQ has the most recoil of any 9mm semi auto, that I've ever shot. It is also one of the most accurate semi autos I've ever tried. Its easier for me to shoot a G19 at speed, than a PPQ.

I would have to agree on the recoil. Not saying its a bad gun but it would be nice if the lowered the bore over grip height.
Pat

Gary1911A1
05-05-12, 03:01
I guess muzzle flip is subjective. I have fired my Glock 19 and my PPQ on the same day, same target, same ammo and back to back and my Bill Drill times seemed about the same with better hits with the PPQ first time out. I could see myself getting another PPQ if Walther ever releases another version like a compact or longslide.