PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor for 5.56

shtf6688
05-03-12, 23:36
have my trust started now looking to get a suppressor. anyone have experience with YHM phantom 5.56 or can you suggest a suppressor. also what do i need as in barrel to put a suppressor on. i see that it says there is QD quick detach? how does it attach and what size is the threads if i need it? do i need a threaded barrel? also is there anyway i can use the same can for a ruger 10/22 with a threaded barrel, of course the noise reduction wouldnt be as great but can it be used for more than one.

Eurodriver
05-04-12, 07:37
have my trust started now looking to get a suppressor. anyone have experience with YHM phantom 5.56 or can you suggest a suppressor. also what do i need as in barrel to put a suppressor on. i see that it says there is QD quick detach? how does it attach and what size is the threads if i need it? do i need a threaded barrel? also is there anyway i can use the same can for a ruger 10/22 with a threaded barrel, of course the noise reduction wouldnt be as great but can it be used for more than one.

YHM's are decent, but they are very heavy. I own an AAC M4-2000 and am very satisfied. Surefire and OPS Inc make good suppressors also.

You need a threaded barrel, and most quality suppressors require a mount of some sort. The mount is a flash hider. Depending on the brand of suppressor you buy, you will have to get their mounting system.

No, you cannot regularly use a 5.56mm suppressor on a 22LR as it will make the inside of the can dirty since they are sealed. If you use a .22LR suppressor on 5.56mm it will destroy it.

cabbynate
05-04-12, 15:02
I run an AAC 762SD-N6 on my 5.56 AR's. It is as quiet as most 5.56 cans and you can also use it on other rifles up to 308.

lunchbox
05-04-12, 15:34

Search feature may have cured alot of that..
What you would pay on a good silencer, you could get some great training.

lunchbox
05-04-12, 15:58
Search feature may have cured alot of that..
What you would pay on a good silencer, you could get some great training.

Wow, that sounded mean. It was not intended to be. just quick opinion.

Artos
05-04-12, 16:13
Wish I had gotten a 30cal for my 1st centerfire...solid advice.

justlikeanyoneelse
05-04-12, 17:59
Congrats and welcome to the NFA game, mind telling us your price range? Kinda need that to recommend suppressors for ya.

shtf6688
05-04-12, 19:47
dont worry it didnt sound mean, im not sure what you meant? what training do you suggest? im open minded no worries.

price range i dont have one. whatever is going to be the best. im thinking its going to be around 1000 with tax stamp. when i say i dont have a price range im just curious whats best and if i can ill try to get it.

justlikeanyoneelse
05-04-12, 20:04
In that case I highly recommend either AAC or Surefire.

*AAC wise, they just came out with their SR5 suppressors for 5.56. Supposed to be the latest suppressor with major improvements. You might also want to consider the SR7 as AAC advertises it works for a 10 inch 5.56 rifle, the main advantage being if you ever in the future choose to use either 7.62 or 300 AAC blackout you wouldn't need to buy a new suppressor for that caliber. Disadvantage to this however is that the SR7 is not optimized for 5.56 so it would not be as quiet as a SR5.

*Surefire wise I own their mini 5.56 and love it. I use it on a sbr so not as good but I have a thing for small compact weapons. Their FA556-212 is also a good choice for 5.56. Again if you consider using 7.62 or 300 AAC blackout you might want to look at the upcoming 7.62 mini, I don't remember the specific name right now.

Also recommend you look at the "Saker" 5.56 from Silencer Co, it looks promising.

Just do research and your mind made up before you buy, your not buying a ordinary pistol or rifle...NFA items are too expensive and time consuming to get second thoughts.

Hope it helps!

fastfive0
05-04-12, 20:51
Couple things to note about 5.56 cans, I have shot most of the major companies cans and as far as noise they are all very close to the same. 5.56 is a loud caliber to suppress, if you have never shot one I suggest you do before you buy. There is no "best" in the silencer game if you ask me. Do you want the absolute quietest in db rating? Do you want lightest? Shortest? Thread on? Qd? You will not find one that meets all of the above criteria. Most casual shooters want the quietest, so if that's what your looking for then the difference between the quietest and an entry level can like the yhm is no more then a 3-5db and dollar wise the difference can be $800+.

shtf6688
05-04-12, 21:35
yeah i appreciate any advice. if 5.56 doesnt have much difference with dB then i see your point with the other variables.

let me know if there is another thread on 45 suppressors on here
im looking at osprey 45 or tirant 45

Javelin
05-04-12, 23:41
I have an M4-2000 and I really like it. Great for a dedicated 5.56 suppressor IMHO.

I think that a fully welded 100% inconel 7.62 suppressor from either AAC or Surefire would be a good fit for those wanting a more versatile can. Db does not really matter so much with 5.56 (at least to me) as even the best rated 5.56 suppressors are loud as others have pointed out. Durability is most important in my eyes which is why I went with the one I did (which just so happens to have one of the best Db ratings also).

mtrmn
05-05-12, 10:31
I have 1 suppressor. It fits and works well on all my ARs (6 total), including my 308. It is a YHM Titanium 7.62 QD. It is rated for limited full auto fire and a life warranty. It is lightweight-15 oz compared to 31 oz for the stainless version. It requires a special flash hider which takes the place of your A2 or whatever. It comes with 1 flash hider/adapter of your choice. The extra adapters are available on the net for about 60-70 bucks apiece. The general consensus of those who like the YHMs is that they are "built like a tank." There are those who don't like them, but I think they just think the simple design is outdated--but it works very well nonetheless, and I tend to like the simpler designs as they are usually more robust and less shit to go wrong.

I recommend a 30 caliber suppressor so you can put it on anything up to 300winmag if you so desire, and a single suppressor that works on all your weapons is sweet--saves a lot of money for me.

sandsunsurf
05-06-12, 01:28
I am going to say that for your first can (they're addictive so you will want more), if budget isn't an issue then the SDN-6 is a great choice because it's versatile and you can use it on .308 or 5.56 or .300 blackout, and its size is compatible to most 5.56 cans. If budget is an issue, the YHM can is a good performer for the price. My best friend is in the same boat right now trying to decode what can to buy, and is down to these two choices. One more thing about budget- YHM QD mounts seem to be cheaper and more available than many others, especially Surefire. The AAC mounts aren't too bad- I just ordered two for $85 a piece...

An understated benefit of the YHM is that it doesn't get "welded" on to the QD mount under high volume of fire. I took a class running the YHM can and after several hundred rounds it came off as easily as if I had only shot 20 rounds. A guy in the class told me the reason he didn't run his SF can for yet class is because he hates trying to get it off after a few hundred rounds. My other friend's KAC is the same- he has to work hard to break loose all the carbon after we shoot even just 100 rounds.

Iraqgunz
05-06-12, 01:59
Cans aren't cheap and should be looked at as a serious investment. I would seriously look at a good offering from AAC or Surefire. I would also want to get a 7.62 offering so that way you can use it on a different weapon in the future (like 300 BLK or 7.62 rifle).

rob_s
05-06-12, 05:52
I'm still hoping someone starts making a 7.62 can in a 5.56 size tube. Until then I like the idea of using a 7.62 on a 5.56 but not the real-world application.

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/charts/5-56-sound-suppressors

Something else to keep in mind, direct-attach suppressors are sometimes shorter than those that make use of a mount.

there are tons of silencer/suppressor threads on here. Read up and use the search.