PDA

View Full Version : Minimal Backup Parts

skywalkrNCSU
05-04-12, 09:24
If you were collecting spare parts for your one rifle to be able to fix parts if they break, what would you look to buy? The main thing that comes to my noob mind is the bolt and maybe the barrel.

Anything else I should look into getting for backup purposes? Obviously anything could break, I am more interested in the most likely parts to fail so in a SHTF situation I can fix my rifle.

Odglock
05-04-12, 09:39
I'm far from an expert but I try to keep a spare bolt, firing pin and pins and springs. In my experience these are the things most likely to fail.

Ramone
05-04-12, 10:13
If I was going as far as a barrel in spares, I'd go to a full upper.

And if I was that far, an extra US$300.00 or so would give me a lower for a complete rifle, yanno?

My spares is a BCG (complete), Plus an extra Ejector pin and FP retaining pin ( as they are most likely to be dropped and lost)

Springs and pins for the hammer/trigger & selector spring & detent.

I don't keep BUIS on my rifles, but I have a set for each.

Iraqgunz
05-04-12, 12:28
Most people do not have the tools and knowledge to properly change a barrel. Also, are you looking for TEOTWAWKI parts, or something for everyday?

I would probably keep at least a BCG handy, buffer spring, and the spring for the selector lever/ ejector.

I have been acquiring parts steadily so I can virtually replace or rebuild and entire carbine + if needed to.

Generalpie
05-04-12, 12:34
It really depends on what your intended purposes are.

If you must have a functioning rifle immediately upon one going down a complete back up is the way to go. Easy to store all those small parts when they are assembled in a complete package.

Otherwise, a BCG and gas rings from the upper and all the springs from the lower. When is the last time a barrel broke in the middle of a string of fire?

Because a quality trigger is so nice I would pick up a decent aftermarket trigger and keep the milspec original as parts as well.

Atg336
05-04-12, 12:39
I would probably keep at least a BCG handy, buffer spring, and the spring for the selector lever/ ejector.

IG - (I understand having a spare BCG is the absolute minimum) Did you mention the rest because that is what you've found to be most prone to wear/malfunction?

I've been trying to put together a small list of essentials too. I think the context of having back ups is important. I plan on SHTF as the ultimate measure of how good any preparation is/can be.

JBecker 72
05-04-12, 12:45
I keep a spare LPK, a bolt, a couple extra extractors, firing pins, detents and springs, etc.

Iraqgunz
05-04-12, 12:51
If you have a spare BCG- that means any part of the BCG that is missing, lost or damaged can be pulled of an replaced or if necessary the entire BCG.

The other springs I mentioned because often times they get damaged when people dick with their pistol grips.

A wise person would get as many spares as possible and keep them on hand.

IG - (I understand having a spare BCG is the absolute minimum) Did you mention the rest because that is what you've found to be most prone to wear/malfunction?

I've been trying to put together a small list of essentials too. I think the context of having back ups is important. I plan on SHTF as the ultimate measure of how good any preparation is/can be.

PiercedJD
05-04-12, 12:54

In my admittedly limited experience those small springs/pins are good to keep in a spare parts kit not quite so much from failures alone, but from being voted by their High School classmates as most likely to shoot off to BFE.

PA PATRIOT
05-04-12, 14:04
I just do a basic maintenance every 4000rds fired by replacing the,

Extractor spring
Extractor plunger
Extractor rubber ring
Ejector spring
Gas rings
Buffer spring

Cost is under $15.00 and even the most novice owner should be able to swap out these parts.

At 10,000rds the lower springs are changed out at a cost of $28.00

This simple plan will keep your AR running strong barring a bolt failure. I keep at least three spare sets available, One in the home, One in the Vehicle and the last in my AR stock (Minus the Buffer spring) so I can do a repair no matter what my location is.

drrufo
05-04-12, 16:46
I have a case with extra springs,pins,sight parts, bolt parts, triggers, hammers, gas tube, special tools and various metal parts. I am maintaining my own four rifles plus my son's so I don't know what will break or get lost. I can't run down to the local gun store or hardware for parts so I feel fairly confident I can keep everything running in any event. I also have a print out of all the pin and springs sizes laminated in the case so I can find those in the hardware store, maybe.

Quentin
05-04-12, 20:00
I like the idea of a spare rifle, in fact I have a BCM LW midlength upper in transit that will complete my almost identical spare. Sure it's not cheap but it guarantees you have every part backed up.

As far as a small kit you can carry along, maybe an LPK with gas rings and extractor kit thrown in.

Clint
05-04-12, 20:11
A BCG is nice, but the carrier is unlikely to fail if the gas key screws are properly staked.

A spare bolt is the minimum.

It contains about 10 different small parts and is not that expensive.

Adding a cam pin, firing pin and FP retainer will cover the most common failures.

An extra LPK laying around is 85% likely to turn into a complete rifle without careful monitoring. Just so you know.

rob_s
05-05-12, 04:49
Given the amount of crap most people schlep to the range with them a complete lower parts kit (minus the grip) and a complete spare BCG take up virtually no space.

The single best backup, however, is a spare gun. I had a popped primer get under my trigger last weekend at VTAC Carbine 1.5 and I just threw that gun in the back of the truck and grabbed another one. Fixed it at lunch.

LRB45
05-05-12, 06:57
Where is the best place or places to pick up springs and spare parts from? Which brand if any are going to be better?

rob_s
05-05-12, 07:00
Where is the best place or places to pick up springs and spare parts from? Which brand if any are going to be better?

Best (http://www.specializedarmament.com/)

alternate (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=10001/avs%7CManufacturer_1=COLT/Products/Rifle-Parts)