PDA

View Full Version : Installation Question

weg111
05-04-12, 11:43
Hello everyone. I have an issue that I am trying to resolve. First, I researched the amount of recommended torque to apply to a castle nut on a receiver extension on this site and AR15.com. The consensus was to apply roughly 40 inch/lbs of force (Not ft/lbs). This seems particularly light and that I can probably just use my hands to install it. Is this correct? I just want to verify.

I suppose the idea is that the staking of the castle nut is method that keeps the castle nut in place and not the amount of torque on the castle nut.

Thank you. I realize that this is an elementary question to most of the experts out there.

RGoose
05-04-12, 12:05
I usually snug it down using a wrench without putting any ass behind it (light pressure). Then stake in two locations. You are correct, the staking is key.

Warg
05-04-12, 12:07
No, foot pounds not inch pounds. This was a typo in the pre-2009 TM that has resulted in propagation of misleading information.

See: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94568

You should stake even with the corrected torque.

Iraqgunz
05-04-12, 12:38
I never use a torque wrench for stalking the castle nut and have yet to have one come loose. Tighten it sufficiently and stake it and you will be good.

weg111
05-05-12, 17:23
Thank you Gentleman.