PDA

View Full Version : form 1 or 4

shtf6688
05-04-12, 14:43
has anyone used a form 1 for a suppressor they purchased? we can use form 1 or 4 ?

cj5_dude
05-04-12, 14:56
has anyone used a form 1 for a suppressor they purchased? we can use form 1 or 4 ?

Form 1's are for making NFA items, so if you were to build the silencer yourself you need a Form 1.

Form 4's are for transfering the NFA item from the dealer to the new owner. So if you buy one from your dealer you need a Form 4.

Your dealer should be able to walk you through the process if you're buying a silencer from him. If you're building a silencer then you need to do a Form 1 and get it approved and returned to you before you start the build.

shtf6688
05-04-12, 15:00
Form 1's are for making NFA items, so if you were to build the silencer yourself you need a Form 1.

Form 4's are for transfering the NFA item from the dealer to the new owner. So if you buy one from your dealer you need a Form 4.

Your dealer should be able to walk you through the process if you're buying a silencer from him. If you're building a silencer then you need to do a Form 1 and get it approved and returned to you before you start the build.

ok cool, thanks for the help. an ffl that does sell class 3 told me we could use the form 1 and it would be faster. i just wanted to clarify.

ccrn_csc
05-04-12, 17:54
ok cool, thanks for the help. an ffl that does sell class 3 told me we could use the form 1 and it would be faster. i just wanted to clarify.

I would look for a new dealer.

Robb Jensen
05-04-12, 18:36
Notice the difference?

Form 1:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/d9f37668.jpg

Form 4:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/e1330c58.jpg

shtf6688
05-04-12, 19:48
yes sir i see the difference. thanks for the info, yeah im going with the form 4 because im not building one.

cj5_dude
05-04-12, 20:36
I think you should talk to your dealer a little more and get a firm understanding of what he's telling you. If he's legitimately telling you that you can buy a silencer that's already made from any manufacturer on a Form 1 then he's a fool and don't do business with him. Also there is no time difference between a Form 1 and a Form 4 once it's in the hands of the ATF.

If you wanted an SBR and that's what he was telling you about, it could be faster to build one on a Form 1 vs buying one on a Form 4 if the dealer had to order one from the manufacturer and didn't have one in stock already.

So in short, if you are buying a silencer from any reputable dealer they will have you fill out a Form 4 and send it off to the ATF. There is no reason at all to fill out a Form 1 for buying an already built silencer.

shtf6688
05-04-12, 21:16
actually yeah maybe we miss communicated with each other on that one. because i was talking to him also about building an SBR. but ill double check with him.

on that note if you were to build an SBR, i have a stripped lower, can we send the form with that serial number and wait for it to clear then i can take it back from him. or how does it work with sbr. just need to send in the form (1 or 4?) with the serial number of a stripped lower and after approval i can build it or have it built but in the dealers possession till it clears. thanks for any info

cj5_dude
05-04-12, 21:56
Read the sticky thread at the top of the NFA section titled "How to SBR". It's very simple, in that case you will do a Form 1 filled out correctly. You don't need a dealer for that. You can do the Form 1 yourself, hold onto the lower you have, engrave it, and when the form is approved you can slap on a short upper. It's very simple but please make sure you understand all of the laws before you make the leap so that you aren't on the wrong side of the bars in your local jail.

Iraqgunz
05-05-12, 02:11
I would be very careful of using this Class III if he doesn't understand something simple like the difference between a Form 1 or 4.

Eurodriver
05-05-12, 08:17
actually yeah maybe we miss communicated with each other on that one. because i was talking to him also about building an SBR. but ill double check with him.

on that note if you were to build an SBR, i have a stripped lower, can we send the form with that serial number and wait for it to clear then i can take it back from him. or how does it work with sbr. just need to send in the form (1 or 4?) with the serial number of a stripped lower and after approval i can build it or have it built but in the dealers possession till it clears. thanks for any info

You should do more research before continuing with NFA items.

No, you cannot have an SBR built (no matter whose possession it is in) until the Form 1 comes back approved.

shtf6688
05-05-12, 09:37
thanks for all the info guys, i talked to him we cleared it up. just miss communication. and yes i will do more research. thanks again