PDA

View Full Version : Big Army says no more polymer mags

kest_01
05-04-12, 20:14
https://acc.dau.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=510851&lang=en-US

Benefit/Value

Issue: TACOM has become aware of units ordering 30 rd. commercial (i.e. polymer, etc.) magazines for their M4/M16 family of weapons. The M4/M16 Army authorized magazines are the following: NSN 1005-00-561-7200 (improved magazine) and NSN 1005-00-921-5004 (older magazine; use until exhaustion).

Rest of the story at the link. Don't think many people will listen to this until its strictly enforced, there's a lot of us using PMAGS in the army. Ill keep using them and my TangoDown mags until I'm forced to stop.

Eric D.
05-04-12, 20:37
I thought black pmags had an NSN and were a approved for unit procurement? Is this a reversal decision?

Bravo Company has an NSN listed: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-p/mag210%20black%20window.htm

ETA: Oh, I see. There are two acceptable mags for the Army. Pmags may have an NSN but the are just not approved by the Army, correct?

kest_01
05-04-12, 20:47
They do have a NSN, and a bunch of units have bought and issued them. TACOM is now putting out that the only mags listed as authorized in the -10 are the Army issued ones.

rickp
05-04-12, 21:12
https://acc.dau.mil/CommunityBrowser.aspx?id=510851&lang=en-US

The M4/M16 Army authorized magazines are the following: NSN 1005-00-561-7200 (improved magazine) and NSN 1005-00-921-5004 (older magazine; use until exhaustion).

So what are these improved mags???

a0cake
05-04-12, 21:17
So what are these improved mags???

They're just the tan follower mags.

http://peosoldier.armylive.dodlive.mil/2009/12/14/armys-improved-magazine-increases-weapons-reliability-%E2%80%9Ctan-is-the-plan%E2%80%9D-for-the-new-magazine/

Javelin
05-04-12, 23:19
The Army has enough problems as it is. I don't understand why the Army would limit Soldiers from using the best equipment intentionally.

devinsdad
05-05-12, 01:00
There are too many polymer magazines on the market and there are a lot of soldiers that only hear "polymer is better" and buy the cheapest out there. Tapco, Bulgarian, TD, PMAG, Lancer etc. Which one works and works best for combat use? Even here on this site, many prefer one over another. While companies claim that their product is "combat ready" that is a marketing term, not reality. By saying NO to polymer mags, that should make the USGI mag, which has worked since the beginning, the standard in the field. This is the first time in history that there has been so many accessories availiable for a fielded combat weapon. Sights, grips, foreends, magazines...etc and a way to put them in the hands of the troops. Many hang stuff on their weapon for no other reason to be like that other guy, so that must be better. Even in a rifle squad, damn near every rifle is outfitted different. Some have quality parts, some are complete crap. The Army is trying to to stop the flow of non standardized/tested magazines from getting into the hands of our Soldiers. Hope it works.

NongShim
05-05-12, 01:17
I think this is great news. Plain old GI mags work great. I'm so sick and tired of seeing pmag related stoppages and watching people look for issues with the gun instead of shitcanning their stupid plastic mags. I haven't messed with the ARC mags because for me they aren't a solution to a problem. My green and tan follower mags are all stellar performers.

This is actually a good move.

GrumpyM4
05-05-12, 02:02
Typical dumb-assed big army decision.

Go for uniformity over function.

Just like trying to develop their own polymer mag even though the Pmag was already avalible.

As if the USGI mags don't have their fair share of problems.

Why don't they just do an IW type test of magazines and see which ones come out on top rather then forcing adherence to outdated requirements?

Only a matter of time until they start fining soldiers for using non-issued items on their guns and gear. That'll be a brilliant move of stupidity too. Just like this one.

Whatever.

R0N
05-05-12, 04:01
PMAGs actually failed Army testing several years ago for the following reasons

1) rough handling at -60F causes damage/cracks in feed lip
2) immersion in MIL-L-46000 Lubricant Semi-Fluid Automatic Weapons - LAW and 804-01-284-3982; DEET Insect Repellent causes stress crazing/cracking

aguila327
05-05-12, 06:08
Beleive it or not people This is a good idea. I don't know were you get the information stating that usgi mags are prone to problems in comparison to Pmags, etc.

I'd rather have one of my guys buy it because his USGI mag crapped the bed than have the same with Pmag. At least I can blame Uncle Sam.

All kidding aside, I love my Pmags but always have a 1/2 dozen USGI mags on my side for when TSHTF. Proven to work is better than the cool factor, and given time sooner or later a polymer mag maker will meet the requirements for approval.

Steel is the way to go. "Go Fusil":D

5pins
05-05-12, 08:43

2) immersion in MIL-L-46000 Lubricant Semi-Fluid Automatic Weapons - LAW and 804-01-284-3982; DEET Insect Repellent causes stress crazing/cracking

If you are referring to the test I think you are, it was not pmags that were used.

Eurodriver
05-05-12, 08:50
I think this is great news. Plain old GI mags work great. I'm so sick and tired of seeing pmag related stoppages and watching people look for issues with the gun instead of shitcanning their stupid plastic mags. I haven't messed with the ARC mags because for me they aren't a solution to a problem. My green and tan follower mags are all stellar performers.

Of course it is. We had plenty of issues in extremely cold temps with PMAGs. Aside from the obnoxious clanking/springing sound empty USGI magazines make when thrown in a drop pouch, I have absolutely zero issues with them. They stack better, they're more streamlined, smaller... I greatly prefer them in almost every regard. Plus, with the USMC utilizing the IAR, having PMAGs floating around is now a liability.

R0N
05-05-12, 09:01
If you are referring to the test I think you are, it was not pmags that were used.

I was not involved in the test so I cannot testify to the fact but Marine Corps Systems Command, PM Individual Weapons thinks otherwise and specifically quotes that test and say PMAG were tested and didn't meet the specifications

5pins
05-05-12, 09:16
We are thinking about two different tests.

The one I was referring to was conducted by TECOM in 06 or 08, not the Marine Corps.

rickp
05-05-12, 09:16
There are too many polymer magazines on the market and there are a lot of soldiers that only hear "polymer is better" and buy the cheapest out there. Tapco, Bulgarian, TD, PMAG, Lancer etc. Which one works and works best for combat use? Even here on this site, many prefer one over another. While companies claim that their product is "combat ready" that is a marketing term, not reality. By saying NO to polymer mags, that should make the USGI mag, which has worked since the beginning, the standard in the field. This is the first time in history that there has been so many accessories availiable for a fielded combat weapon. Sights, grips, foreends, magazines...etc and a way to put them in the hands of the troops. Many hang stuff on their weapon for no other reason to be like that other guy, so that must be better. Even in a rifle squad, damn near every rifle is outfitted different. Some have quality parts, some are complete crap. The Army is trying to to stop the flow of non standardized/tested magazines from getting into the hands of our Soldiers. Hope it works.

Very well said. Big Army can get silly at times, but this is a good move on their part.

polydeuces
05-05-12, 09:23
Switched to Pmags (flawless) because every other steel mag i ever used was a piece of crap - can't say who made them, probably were the bad ones?

So who actually makes the (good) GI mags, what to look for, and where to get them?
Thanks.

Eurodriver
05-05-12, 09:30
Switched to Pmags (flawless) because every other steel mag i ever used was a piece of crap - can't say who made them, probably were the bad ones?

So who actually makes the (good) GI mags, what to look for, and where to get them?
Thanks.

have you ever bought new in wrap USGI mags? In the original military packaging?

http://www.gunlistings.org/uploads/1_accessories_ar15_30_round_usgi_mags__clips__brand_new__38461.jpg

Various manufacturers make them, but Okay seemed to make the most I run into.

El Cid
05-05-12, 09:34

Thanks.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81074&highlight=Magazine+journey

MarkG
05-05-12, 09:36
Thanks.

Okay Industries branded as Colt or NHMTG.

CarlosDJackal
05-05-12, 09:42
Putside of normal wear and tear, I have not had any issues with my aluminum "GI" magazines. However, I most exclusively use PMags nowadays.

That being said, I think this is a good idea. Too many GIs will buy the cheapest magazines they come across, use it once, and then declare it reiable enough for combat.

I know an AD AF type who is convinced that his Olympic Arms Carbine and Troy polymer magazines is the best combination even though he has never put these through a multi-day training course. But since he fancies himself an SME of sorts (no, he is not SF) you can't teach him anything because he already knows it all.

I perzonally have no problems using GI mags as long as they are made by the top manufactureres. YMMV.

Robb Jensen
05-05-12, 09:48
Policies such as this are "dumbing down" meaning they make a policy like this because there are people out there who think all polymer mags are created equal. Some people think for instance that Tapco mags are just as good as PMAGs, same dumbasses think all polymer pistols are created equal.

The problem with USGI aluminum mags is that people don't destroy them when they're past their service life and are causing stoppages. They try to fix them instead of tossing them in the trash. You can't fix a cracked double feeding polymer mag. I have no issues with USGI mags within their service life other than that and I own 50 or so. Once they cause a stoppage or are damaged I shitcan them.

Everything has a service life, the key is figuring out what the expected service life of a part is and to replace it before it fails. Example:

I replace my cam pins every 3K rounds or more often if they're really battered. (I find doing this seems to make bolts last longer)
Extractors, extractor pins and springs and firing pins every 10K
CAR buffer springs when they get to 10.25" in length
Hammer, trigger and disconnector springs every 7-10k rounds
Bolts every 7-10K rounds
I can't recall the last time I've had a malfunction that wasn't caused by the ammunition.

M4Guru
05-05-12, 09:59
The USGI mags are great. I like PMAGs just fine but I go fight with USGI mags that I inspect, maintain, and just replace whenever I feel like it. I dry heave when ARC mags come up...mine all wouldn't work in any gun.

Like every other feed system, it's a disposable item. I don't think you'd have problems with either as long as you're not afraid to sacrifice them to the dumpster gods earlier than you'd like to.

rickp
05-05-12, 10:10
USGI is all i've ever used. I've never had a reason to go to PMags since USGI mags have always worked as intended, even in the shitty environment of the Middle East. Like any other gun part, maintain it as well as you can, mark them for training or operational use, and when they fail discard appropriately.

If I remember right what turned me off from jumping on the Pmag fad was that the originals ones had issues on some AR's. I just remember something wasnt 100% with them. I'm sure others are more educated on the whole Pmag history.

a0cake
05-05-12, 10:17
When you're discussing magazines and the military, or specifically the military's perception of certain magazines, there is a habit / action that is so prevalent and of such importance to the discussion but is rarely mentioned.

There's this disease in the military, where people take off their armor and out of exhaustion, ignorance, and laziness, plop it down on the hard ground. Drop is probably a better word than plop. Often, the brunt of the impact falls directly on the magazine feed lips. Watch any average platoon take their kit off. 90% of them will essentially slam their magazines on the ground feed-lips first without even thinking about it.

Fix this bad habit, and magazine performance will become way less of an issue. All these equipment based solutions are of minimal importance compared to the issue of dumbasses slamming their magazines on the ground day in and day out.

I've said for a while now that there needs to be a substantial and deliberate effort to dedicate a day or two Army wide and go through every single magazine in circulation to identify the ones that need to be replaced. Direct every single soldier (in the fighting units at least) to gather up every magazine in his control. At the company level, put everybody in a loose formation with a pile of magazines in front of each soldier. Explain how to test and inspect the magazines. Do it, and chuck the bad ones. Have the supply sergeant do a 1 for 1 swap for every bad magazine found. Now that the bad magazines are out of circulation, have every soldier number his magazines with stencils and spray paint. Instruct them to keep track of which magazines are performing and to ditch the ones that aren't. Instruct them to stop slamming their body armor on the ground. Enforce all of the above.

The VAST majority of M4 malfunctions are magazine related. Fix this magazine epidemic and suddenly people will stop complaining about the M4's reliability.

Ronin64
05-05-12, 10:43
When you're discussing magazines and the military, or specifically the military's perception of certain magazines, there is a habit / action that is so prevalent and of such importance to the discussion but is rarely mentioned.

There's this disease in the military, where people take off their armor and out of exhaustion, ignorance, and laziness, plop it down on the hard ground. Drop is probably a better word than plop. Often, the brunt of the impact falls directly on the magazine feed lips. Watch any average platoon take their kit off. 90% of them will essentially slam their magazines on the ground feed-lips first without even thinking about it.

Fix this bad habit, and magazine performance will become way less of an issue. All these equipment based solutions are of minimal importance compared to the issue of dumbasses slamming their magazines on the ground day in and day out.

I've said for a while now that there needs to be a substantial and deliberate effort to dedicate a day or two Army wide and go through every single magazine in circulation to identify the ones that need to be replaced. Direct every single soldier (in the fighting units at least) to gather up every magazine in his control. At the company level, put everybody in a loose formation with a pile of magazines in front of each soldier. Explain how to test and inspect the magazines. Do it, and chuck the bad ones. Have the supply sergeant do a 1 for 1 swap for every bad magazine found. Now that the bad magazines are out of circulation, have every soldier number his magazines with stencils and spray paint. Instruct them to keep track of which magazines are performing and to ditch the ones that aren't. Instruct them to stop slamming their body armor on the ground. Enforce all of the above.

The VAST majority of M4 malfunctions are magazine related. Fix this magazine epidemic and suddenly people will stop complaining about the M4's reliability.

Good point. I see the same issues in LE where people keep the same malfunctioning magazine because "it works most of the time." usually because it's personally purchased. Toss it and buy a new one! It's not worth your life to save $10-$15....

TAZ
05-05-12, 11:05
A0Cake, you're 100% on the mark. However, I don't see that happening in the near future. To take your common sense approach would mean that every soldier issued a weapon would need better training on how to maintain it and what makes it go bang reliably. Essentially, the military would have to depart from the lowest common denominator stance and switch to the bring everyone to a higher standard model of live. Pretty hard switch. The lowest common denominator thinking is very ingrained across our society. The concept that an individual can be trained and made accountable for their life is about as alien as it gets to some. IMO these types of zero tolerance policies are the dot band aids trying to cover a sucking chest wound. Just. It a good idea.

diving dave
05-05-12, 11:12
besides guys, I saw the President said the war on terror was pretty much over anyway..............:blink:

scottryan
05-05-12, 11:54
Of course it is. We had plenty of issues in extremely cold temps with PMAGs. Aside from the obnoxious clanking/springing sound empty USGI magazines make when thrown in a drop pouch, I have absolutely zero issues with them. They stack better, they're more streamlined, smaller... I greatly prefer them in almost every regard. Plus, with the USMC utilizing the IAR, having PMAGs floating around is now a liability.

Exactly.

I have began purging all Pmags out of my collection.

Over Easter weekend we went shooting. We had a pmag so swollen that the rounds were stacked in it side by side instead of staggered.

They were trapped about 1/4 of the way down the magazine body. I had never seen anything like it before.

It would not work in either my buddy's Benelli MR1 or my Colt 6933. This pmag belonged to my buddy who is a "casual gun owner" who doesn't shoot much, and the magazine was like new.

I banged it on the sole of my shoe and couldn't get the rounds to pop back in line to the top of the feedlips. Never seen anything like it.

Ammunition was federal M193. After taking a pocket knife to pluck out the ammo, we put it in a NHMTG magazine and there was no more problem.

polydeuces
05-05-12, 11:57
Cool, thanks.

ST911
05-05-12, 12:13
Buy quality and demand 100% function, especially for those who go in harms way. That being said, this is an axle folks seem to get wrapped around far too easily.

Lots of conversation lately about GI mags. All that is old is new again.

Gunzilla
05-05-12, 12:20
The best reason I've seen for using EVERYTHING but metal G.I. magazines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdesKUSUchA

After watching this I wouldn't take G.I. magazines if they were offered for free, it's Magpul or nothing.

It makes me wonder if the guy making the final decision watched this video, or ever pulled a trigger in anger. :blink:

a0cake
05-05-12, 12:23
The best reason I've seen for using EVERYTHING but metal G.I. magazines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdesKUSUchA

After watching this I wouldn't take G.I. magazines if they were offered for free, it's Magpul or nothing.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ivfgb6.jpg

Heavy Metal
05-05-12, 12:37
Exactly.

I have began purging all Pmags out of my collection.

Over Easter weekend we went shooting. We had a pmag so swollen that the rounds were stacked in it side by side instead of staggered.

They were trapped about 1/4 of the way down the magazine body. I had never seen anything like it before.

It would not work in either my buddy's Benelli MR1 or my Colt 6933. This pmag belonged to my buddy who is a "casual gun owner" who doesn't shoot much, and the magazine was like new.

I banged it on the sole of my shoe and couldn't get the rounds to pop back in line to the top of the feedlips. Never seen anything like it.

Ammunition was federal M193. After taking a pocket knife to pluck out the ammo, we put it in a NHMTG magazine and there was no more problem.

That sounds like somebody tried to overstuff the magazine and put 32 rounds in it.

Jaysop
05-05-12, 12:38
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ivfgb6.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc390/jsop0331/superhighfive.jpg

morbidbattlecry
05-05-12, 13:00
And so the winds of the internet blow.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-05-12, 13:01
I never had an issue with a GI mag ever, dont see a reason to ban it but no matter I guess.

mkmckinley
05-05-12, 13:27

I'm not surprised: I've had the feed lips on Pmags crack in cold weather and not just once. I'm not shit canning my Pmags any time soon but my serious-use mags are USGI with the tan followers or Magpul followers.

Todd00000
05-05-12, 13:51

It makes me wonder if the guy making the final decision watched this video, or ever pulled a trigger in anger. :blink:
I know right, every time I went on a mission a truck ran over my mags and then I stuffed them full of sand. I hate it when that happens. I need some pmags.

Jaysop
05-05-12, 14:11

Makes me wonder the same of you, no offense.

Metal mags never gave me any shit. If they did I turned them into the armory.
The guy in the armory was into sport shooting so he never second guessed anyone requesting new mags.

I don't have much time with polymer mags but id be interested to see how they stood up on a chest rig with constant movement under fire drills and buddy carrys and such.

Uniformity assists in easy repair and replacement.

That and you'll always get that guy who thinks just because its polymer its good to go, Buying the cheapest shit from china and wondering why it doesn't work. Makes sense that they'd cut the BS.
Imagine if the Army allowed personally owned rifles? How many DPMS's would you see out their with sightmark optics and CCA stocks?

Side note: I was told by a NG friend that they are allowed to bring self acquired rifles overseas. And use them instead of issued M4s.
Can anyone confirm?

Todd00000
05-05-12, 14:15
Side note: I was told by a NG friend that they are allowed to bring self acquired rifles overseas. And use them instead of issued M4s.
Can anyone confirm?

SF types can get away with it, but regular forces allowed, no way.

M4Guru
05-05-12, 15:51
SF types can get away with it, but regular forces allowed, no way.

Not just no, but **** no, is that allowed or condoned. That is a career ender anywhere if you got caught, SF included.

Ronin64
05-05-12, 18:11
Not just no, but **** no, is that allowed or condoned. That is a career ender anywhere if you got caught, SF included.

Not to mention you'd lose auto/burst capabilities:alcoholic:...

NongShim
05-05-12, 19:19

FACT.

Jaysop
05-05-12, 19:22
I didn't think so, I do believe that they were told they could. Then again their unit doesn't seem to squared away.

Doc Safari
05-05-12, 19:23
I think this is great news. Plain old GI mags work great. I'm so sick and tired of seeing pmag related stoppages and watching people look for issues with the gun instead of shitcanning their stupid plastic mags.

I agree. Not that I have a wealth of personal experience but it's odd there are so many complaints where Pmags are used when they are supposedly such great mags.

ForTehNguyen
05-05-12, 19:25
I got both, who cares, both have advantages and disadvantages over the other

Doc Safari
05-05-12, 19:26
I replace my cam pins every 3K rounds or more often if they're really battered. (I find doing this seems to make bolts last longer)
Extractors, extractor pins and springs and firing pins every 10K
CAR buffer springs when they get to 10.25" in length
Hammer, trigger and disconnector springs every 7-10k rounds
Bolts every 7-10K rounds
I can't recall the last time I've had a malfunction that wasn't caused by the ammunition.

Good concise rules of thumb. I'm going to print this out and tack it to the lid of my parts container, I think. ;)

Todd00000
05-05-12, 19:29
I didn't think so, I do believe that they were told they could. Then again their unit doesn't seem to squared away.

That's beyond not squared away. Unproven parts make you a liability in combat. A SF Soldier on my COP in Zabul province 2009 had a LMT piston upper break on him in a fire fight.

Javelin
05-05-12, 19:35
That's beyond not squared away. Unproven parts make you a liability in combat. A SF Soldier on my COP in Zabul province 2009 had a LMT piston upper break on him in a fire fight.

What did you do to him. Sir?

Alaskapopo
05-05-12, 19:37

I personally have seen a lot more magazine malfunctions with GI mags than P mags.
Pat

Todd00000
05-05-12, 19:40
What did you do to him. Sir?

He wasn't in my chain of command but his punishment was letting his fellow Soldiers down.

Alaskapopo
05-05-12, 19:41

Thanks.

GI mags are not made of steel. They are made out of alluminum. I have plenty of good GI mags in addition to plenty of P mags, lancers etc. However with GI mags you can have a bad mag and not even know it. At least when a P mag takes a dump its obvious to the naked eye.
Pat

Todd00000
05-05-12, 19:42
I personally have seen a lot more magazine malfunctions with GI mags than P mags.
Pat

Me too but I've been around thousands of GI mags, and all the ones that malfunctioned were old.

ZoneOne
05-05-12, 20:11
My understanding for the block on ordering the PMAGs through PBUSE was that they were highly pilfer-able. Instead of adding them to any form of accountability at the Company and BN level, Big Army just decided to say (NO MORE).

We ordered about 1000 while in Afghanistan. I'm sure there are maybe around 10-20 still left in the Company Arm's room right now.

SMETNA
05-05-12, 20:17
I've only ever used GI mags.

Because there are no pre-ban pmags.

FML

scottryan
05-05-12, 21:14
That sounds like somebody tried to overstuff the magazine and put 32 rounds in it.

It wasn't overstuffed. It only had about ~20 rounds in it when it swelled.

The first ~10 rounds fired fine.

a0cake
05-05-12, 21:14

FML

LOL. That was pretty funny. I'm in a ban state also, but my situation is nowhere near as dire. When I moved to NY I gave 30 or so PMAG's to my buddy in Florida and got ~40 brand new pre-ban USGI type magazines in return. Not sure what I'm going to do when they shit the bed. I do my best to baby them but shit happens. :eek:

sboza
05-05-12, 21:42
I have never had any major issues with usgi mags. I ran my training mags pretty hard always keeping them seperate. Whenever they went bad (always after a lot of use), they went in the trash.

I have no idea why I went to pmags since I was never too big on the magpul brand but I did. I switched away from a perfectly good mags to try pmags. I'm back to usgi and haven't regretted it.

Other than issues others have pointed out, I am not a fan of the ribbing and thickness as it creates a lot of friction in double mag pouches. Also, it is a lot easier to insert usgi mags into the magazine well than pmags (for me at least). Pmags catch a bit more if placement isn't near perfect so I am not as consistent with them (not a huge issue).

Strider5.56
05-05-12, 22:39
During my time in the Army I did experience problems with the metal issued mags. Then again these were mostly old issue 20 rd mags, maybe left over from NAM, I don't know. One thing I like about PMags is that they will flex a little and go back to their original shape. Sometimes the metal mags when sat on, laided on, etc. Will bend on not go back to their original shape. This is when I witnessed feeding issues. This mostly occurred when we got a cherry straight out of AIT, who would wear his LBV high and with all the mags directly over the front of his chest. So when he hit the deck, he was landing on his mags. Not smart. The post earlier about the PMags failing at -60F, how many Taliban do you see running around the North pole. I would be concerned with the M-16/M-4 cycling at that temp with the break free oil anyway (maybe militec that is issued). I think mags are like anything else, you take care of them, they will take care of you.

Alaskapopo
05-06-12, 00:22
Me too but I've been around thousands of GI mags, and all the ones that malfunctioned were old.

That is the problem with GI mags is you never know when they are bad until they malf. If this decision stands it will go down much like the armys specification for a magazine cut off in the Krag so the soldiers would not waste ammo in combat. Pure stupid.
Pat

feedramp
05-06-12, 01:28
That is the problem with GI mags is you never know when they are bad until they malf.

How is that not true of all magazines? (i.e., you only know they're bad when they fail.)

Koshinn
05-06-12, 01:37
How is that not true of all magazines? (i.e., you only know they're bad when they fail.)

Metal is malleable. Plastic breaks.

Dave_M
05-06-12, 01:37

The singular advantage I'd give to poly mags is that one can visibly see when the feed lips are out of spec (because they ****ing crack first). However, one has to inspect them in the first place to notice it anyhow I suppose.... I'd guess that less than 1 in 10 do this, even in working BN's...

sboza
05-06-12, 01:57
That is the problem with GI mags is you never know when they are bad until they malf. If this decision stands it will go down much like the armys specification for a magazine cut off in the Krag so the soldiers would not waste ammo in combat. Pure stupid.
Pat

This is just a silly argument. The fact that two SME's on this board are advocating usgi mags should be a clue. I personally know several sf dudes who reverted back to or never left usgi mags in the first place and feel the same way.

A regular maintainance schedule and seperation of training mags make usgi mags as reliable as the gun firing them. There are a lot of things that can go bust on an AR but the professional changes out springs, pins, extractors, ejectors, etc ... on a schedule to prevent failures in the field. Magazines are no different. Maintain them and they'll work when you need them to.

P.S. By maintainane on magazines I mean checking them for obvious damage, wiping mud and other crap off, function testing when possible, and relegating to training or the trash can those magazines have been seeing heavy use (preferably prior to failure). I do NOT mean disassembling them.

Alaskapopo
05-06-12, 01:58

As others have said with P mags you can easily tell if its broken not so with a GI mag.
pat

Alaskapopo
05-06-12, 02:01
This is just a silly argument. The fact that two SME's on this board are advocating usgi mags should be a clue. I personally know several sf dudes who reverted back to or never left usgi mags in the first place and feel the same way.

A regular maintainance schedule and seperation of training mags make usgi mags as reliable as the gun firing them. There are a lot of things that can go bust on an AR but the professional changes out springs, pins, extractors, ejectors, etc ... on a schedule to prevent failures in the field. Magazines are no different. Maintain them and they'll work when you need them to.

P.S. By maintainane on magazines I mean checking them for obvious damage, wiping mud and other crap off, function testing when possible, and relegating to training or the trash can those magazines have been seeing heavy use (preferably prior to failure). I do NOT mean disassembling them.

I frankly don't know what basis the two SME's on this board have for their decision. What I do know is based on personal experience from being a shooter, LEO, firearms instructor and competator. P mags have served me better overall than USGI mags have. (not saying USGI mags are junk I own a lot still) Others may disagree. If a SME on the forum tells me something that is contrary to my personal experience I am still going to go with my personal experience. Also I am sure you will find conflicting opinions among SME's as well.
Pat

a0cake
05-06-12, 02:04
Just throwing this out there:

To see if a magazine is good or not as part of a routine preventative maintenance schedule, load 15 rounds and give the magazine a good slap from the bottom. If rounds come out, ditch the magazine. You can also use this gauge:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41033/Product/AR-15-M16-MAGAZINE-FEED-LIP-GAUGE

Staying proactive will make the gradual / not easily noticeable with the naked eye damage to USGI magazines a non-issue.

sboza
05-06-12, 02:21

To see if a magazine is good or not as part of a routine preventative maintenance schedule, load 15 rounds and give the magazine a good slap from the bottom. If rounds come out, ditch the magazine.

That's a good one, I'm gonna add that to my routine. I usually do a visual inspection or a side by side with a new mag. Thanks brother.

train of abuses
05-06-12, 02:29
I'm not surprised: I've had the feed lips on Pmags crack in cold weather and not just once. I'm not shit canning my Pmags any time soon but my serious-use mags are USGI with the tan followers or Magpul followers.

Thanks for the report. How cold was it when they cracked if you don't mind me asking?

sboza
05-06-12, 02:54
I frankly don't know what basis the two SME's on this board have for their decision. What I do know is based on personal experience from being a shooter, LEO, firearms instructor and competator. P mags have served me better overall than USGI mags have. (not saying USGI mags are junk I own a lot still) Others may disagree. If a SME on the forum tells me something that is contrary to my personal experience I am still going to go with my personal experience. Also I am sure you will find conflicting opinions among SME's as well.
Pat

To each their own, I have no problem with folks who use pmags :). I just don't agree with your reasoning since proper maintenance makes the point moot in my opinion. I will add that most aluminium mags I have seen fail were the old, sometimes worn the hell out, black follower usgi's and low quality aluminium mags. I rarely see malfunctions with the green or tan follower usgi's, even the ones not well maintained.

And I'll let the SME's speak for themselves but the majority sf guys I know and have worked with don't go with the "the new thing" unless it is thoroughly tested (often by themselves) AND represents significant improvement in capability. The pmags don't meet this threshold for a lot of these dudes (I personally believe pmags have a couple of drawbacks rather than adding to capability). That said, of course every one has their own opinions and there are certainly SME's who prefer pmags.

I am wondering the context surrounding the failures you have observed and experienced from usgi mags. Are we talking about training mags? Used mags issued for firearms training? Green or tan follower usgi's? I assume most of these failures occurred in training or gaming since I think it's safe to assume that you don't shoot that much in an operational context.

If you maintain your magazines, I don't see why you are having so many issues with usgi mags. If you don't mind, would you explain some context surrounding the failures you have witnessed? I am honestly not being an ass, this is more for my education.

GrumpyM4
05-06-12, 03:34
I've had newer (Okay) magazines fail on me.

Limited round count through the mags (ran through 4 or 5 times at the most) and in training, several simply dumped the base plate and the guts spewed all over the ground.

This was when I was doing a side by side comparison of Pmags to USGI under what I consider difficult conditions (active gravel pit).

I had bought 2 Pmags to test and the rest in my gear were the virtually new Okay mags I had bought during the ban years to be my "go to" mags. I had run the OK mags through three times to ensure that they worked properly then stored them until the ban passed.

Once Pmags were developed, I was leery due to my previous experiences with thermolds and orlites so I only bought two for testing.

Like I said, several USGI mags took a shit on me in less then half a day and the Pmags took the abuse and kept going.

After that I packed away all of my USGI mags into ammo cans for future "what-ifs" and have run nothing but Pmags for awhile now with zero issues or complaints. Including a fair amount of FA fire, training sessions, etc. Rain, snow, sleet, hail, hot weather, cold weather, FA, suppressed, training, dirt shooting (what little i do), being dropped in mud, kicked around, accidentally stepped on while in the gravel pit, etc. etc. etc.

My personal experience, not the name on the side, keeps me squarely in the Pmag camp for the time being.

SOWT
05-06-12, 04:14
Can anyone confirm?

As others have said "NO!".

General Order #1 prohibits personal firearms in-theater (thank you Norman).

I find it interestng that the "New" brown followers essentially take Magpul's idea and institutionalize it.

I wonder if Magpul gets royalties?

Iraqgunz
05-06-12, 04:43
I was recently in A'stan and I saw numerous U.S and some NATO personnel using PMAG's.

I personally know U.S military personnel who have carried PMAG's into combat. If it were up to me I would take PMAG's any day over aluminum. The pros and cons are already well known.

I find PMAG's much easier to field strip and maintain.

As for the personal weapons thing....I do in fact know a few guys that brought their own uppers into theater and used them. In one case it was against the advice of someone who had some misgivings about the reliability of said upper.

scoutfsu99
05-06-12, 05:38
I'm curious how many people would listen to TACOM about their approved lube too?

We're lucky that we have options between reliable magazines instead of options between unreliable magazines.

R0N
05-06-12, 06:04
The post earlier about the PMags failing at -60F, how many Taliban do you see running around the North pole. I would be concerned with the M-16/M-4 cycling at that temp with the break free oil anyway (maybe militec that is issued).
Although it does get cold out in RC East probably not TB, but there may be a concern with NORKs since there is a history of fighting them in extreme cold. I would be more concerned with the insect repellent and cold weather lube (That the LAW stuff mentioned) issues. Down in the green zone of the Helmand at least I experience quite a bit of bugs

RogerinTPA
05-06-12, 06:09
Problem is, that there are so many Pmags in Theater and in the system, it's not even funny. I see more Pmags carried by Soldiers and Marines, where I'm based, as well as the FOBs I fly into, than USGI type mags (Which appear to be well worn, with a gold hue). As others have stated, to this day, there is still no mandated inspection in place for replacing Mags (and Extractors). If armorers are doing so, they are few and far between. IMHO, any unit deploying should have brand new mags issued and extractors replaced. Returning units to CONUS should have those mags inspected, then turned in to be used as training mags only.

I have a healthy dose of both Pmags (100+) and USGI type (100+ of D&H & NHMTG), but have been buying the NHMTG mags with Magpul followers since they are so cheap these days. Out of all the Pmags I've owned, I've had only 3 fail so far, but they were several years old and well used, so I felt I got my money's worth. As they fail from normal personal and class usage, they will be replaced with NHMTGs.

zack991
05-06-12, 06:52
Makes me wonder the same of you, no offense.

Metal mags never gave me any shit. If they did I turned them into the armory.
The guy in the armory was into sport shooting so he never second guessed anyone requesting new mags.

I don't have much time with polymer mags but id be interested to see how they stood up on a chest rig with constant movement under fire drills and buddy carrys and such.

Uniformity assists in easy repair and replacement.

That and you'll always get that guy who thinks just because its polymer its good to go, Buying the cheapest shit from china and wondering why it doesn't work. Makes sense that they'd cut the BS.
Imagine if the Army allowed personally owned rifles? How many DPMS's would you see out their with sightmark optics and CCA stocks?

Can anyone confirm?
It depends on the state and the policy for the use of personally owned weapons. My state back home does not allow it, but I ran into a Wisconsin NG unit in Afghanistan that allowed their unit to use their personal AR 15 upper receivers instead of their issued Colt uppers. I spoke to my company First Sergeant and he said it is common that NG units are allowed to use their upper receivers or complete rifles. I asked why and he said he was not sure, but one reason could be they had more trigger time on a personal weapon then an issued rifle that is simple not fired very often if at all.

R0N
05-06-12, 08:45
If OPCON to a combantant commander, his rules are in effect.

It doesn't matter what your state's policy is, when activated you are under Title X, and what your state says means absolutely nothing.

zack991
05-06-12, 08:53

It doesn't matter what your state's policy is, when activated you are under Title X, and what your state says means absolutely nothing.

Yea, I am going by how it was explained to me, it was news to me that it was even allowed.

Todd00000
05-06-12, 09:11

To see if a magazine is good or not as part of a routine preventative maintenance schedule, load 15 rounds and give the magazine a good slap from the bottom. If rounds come out, ditch the magazine. You can also use this gauge:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41033/Product/AR-15-M16-MAGAZINE-FEED-LIP-GAUGE

Staying proactive will make the gradual / not easily noticeable with the naked eye damage to USGI magazines a non-issue.

Have you submitted your ideas to the AWG? If not I have a POC for you.

skullworks
05-06-12, 09:15
My guess, being a European civvie, is as voiced by others already that the Army block/ban is to prevent people from buying crap magazines and using them in a combat environment.

As to PMAG vs metal mags; in early 2011 the UK MOD ditched the steel HK magazines for their SA80 rifles in Afghanistan in favor of the Magpul EMAG. See article here: Troops in Afghanistan get new lightweight rifle magazines (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/TroopsInAfghanistanGetNewLightweightRifleMagazines.htm). The difference between the EMAG (Export Magazine) and the PMAG (Polymer Magazine) is that the EMAG was designed to fit a wider range of STANAG magwells than the PMAG. As to structural integrity the PMAG (with it's added material) should at least in theory be sturdier than the EMAG.

As you may know there is a German copy of the PMAG called G-MAG (originally manufactured by Cerberus GmbH but now branded OA-MAG and made by Oberland Defence), which I've heard reports actually outperform the original PMAGs. The G-MAG is a copy of a first-generation PMAG, but with some subtle differences. Where the feedlips of the PMAG will crack, the G-MAG will keep on trucking (one example I've heard is using them in M249 SAW, where the PMAG apparently will crack pretty quick).

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-06-12, 09:38

FML

I was wrong this is correct

I tried some PMAGS but they would not fit in any of my lowers with out sanding. I decided that they were not worth it for me based on that. I think we have all seen personaly owned stuff overseas allowed or not it happens all the time. In 04 we had a NG unit from Nebraska as our force pro, they had two sniper quilified guys but no rifle. So they brought there own upper and we gave them an M16A2 so they could use their upper on it.

a0cake
05-06-12, 11:44
Wile the facts are true it matters not in NY as every mag with a capicty over 10 rounds is a no-go pre ban or not.

Hey man, where are you getting this from? It's not true at all. Or are you just trying to keep all the pre-bans for yourself? :secret:

NYS Penal Code 265.00 section 23
23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition."

a0cake
05-06-12, 13:00
Have you submitted your ideas to the AWG? If not I have a POC for you.

Not formally. I mean, I've discussed it with various AWG and CATC shooting school personnel over the years. They're on the same page. It seems everyone's aware of the widespread mistreatment and mismanagement of magazines, except for the yahoos actually doing it (this includes senior NCO's and Officers...it's happening in their units so either they don't know or don't care).

I just ETS'd recently, but if you want to suggest or reinvigorate the impetus to enforce some of this, feel free to use my suggestion as your own and make the recommendations.

a0cake
05-06-12, 13:12
Whoops. Double.

a0cake
05-06-12, 13:13
I was recently in A'stan and I saw numerous U.S and some NATO personnel using PMAG's.

I personally know U.S military personnel who have carried PMAG's into combat. If it were up to me I would take PMAG's any day over aluminum. The pros and cons are already well known.

That's because they were literally issued out by the thousands. Probably tens of thousands. They were the black ones with the window. There was such an overflow of them that I had a solid 20 of them under my personal control last deployment, as did most.

Merits of PMAG's vs USGI magazines aside, I wish they would make up their minds and stop wasting money. That I was inundated and could literally go swimming in issued PMAG's just a few months ago, and now they're banned, is insane to me from just a decision making point of view. I'd like to see that chain of events.

PS. After being flooded with these PMAG's, one of our sister units banned them at unit level. Apparently they were falling out of the M4's randomly. I had serious doubts when I first heard that and chalked it up to improperly adjusted magazine catches or people accidentally hitting the release and blaming it on the magazines. Then it happened to me. On a related note: it was at almost 10,000 FT elevation and cold as Hillary Clinton's lady parts. Probably related. Or, it could have just been a bad run of PMAG's, just like there can be a bad run of anything, including USGI magaznes. Who knows?

Todd00000
05-06-12, 13:20
Not formally. I mean, I've discussed it with various AWG and CATC shooting school personnel over the years. They're on the same page. It seems everyone's aware of the widespread mistreatment and mismanagement of magazines, except for the yahoos actually doing it (this includes senior NCO's and Officers...it's happening in their units so either they don't know or don't care).

I just ETS'd recently, but if you want to suggest or reinvigorate the impetus to enforce some of this, feel free to use my suggestion as your own and make the recommendations.

WILCO. I'm going to check CALL tomorrow and hit my AWG POC up. When I was a LT and first became aware that magazines could go bad I would wait at the ammo shed on qualification days and anyone that was re-firing due to double feeds I'd make them throw away the mags; but now we have tools and TTPs.

Iraqgunz
05-06-12, 14:44
a0cake,

I agree with your post, unfortunately I think the idea will slip away. Another thing to consider is this.

Original magazines were DESIGNED to be used and discarded. Obviously that practice stopped as soon as some bean conting General did the math and realized how much money was being spent or wasted (depending on how you look at it).

So now we institute a regimen that says that all magazines MUST BE checked at xxxx interval. Any magazines found to have faults will be discarded. What will happen is that someone will look at cost and say WE CAN'T DO THAT (look at the money going to waste or why can't we use them for training) and the magazines then end right back up in the Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marines' kit.

The one possible solution would be to have a magazine hit team on hand with 5lb. hammer that served instant death to damaged magazines and was led by a 3 star General that could over rule some moron who wants to keep the mags.

Todd00000
05-06-12, 14:49
a0cake,

I agree with your post, unfortunately I think the idea will slip away. Another thing to consider is this.

Original magazines were DESIGNED to be used and discarded. Obviously that practice stopped as soon as some bean conting General did the math and realized how much money was being spent or wasted (depending on how you look at it).

So now we institute a regimen that says that all magazines MUST BE checked at xxxx interval. Any magazines found to have faults will be discarded. What will happen is that someone will look at cost and say WE CAN'T DO THAT (look at the money going to waste or why can't we use them for training) and the magazines then end right back up in the Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marines' kit.

The one possible solution would be to have a magazine hit team on hand with 5lb. hammer that served instant death to damaged magazines and was led by a 3 star General that could over rule some moron who wants to keep the mags.
It has to become part of our PMCS culture.

wrecks30
05-06-12, 14:54
just for FYI, We were issued these in OEF 11, has a feed lip gauge built on.

http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/FS-001.html

Failure2Stop
05-06-12, 15:19
I don't think that PMags would have gotten the attention that they did were it not for the HK magazine.

The HKs were an improvement over the ratty ass beat to hell bent and rebent feed-lip GI mags that so many of us were stuck with during the dark and depressing days of the Crime Bill. Magazine issues probably accounted for 80% of the issues we had with our M16s/M4s (don't even want to get into the M249 issues), mostly because armorers would simply reissue f***ed up magazines. I had one of my new kids show up to an inspection with a magazine with the word "BAD" clearly ledgible in red paint marker, IN MY F***ING HANDWRITING.

Anyway, HK mags were great if they were issued (before the spring wear issue reared its head) and didn't get dented, as they were hard to justify at the $80 price point they were demanding. We were mostly dropping the followers and springs from issued mags and replacing them with better followers from MagPul and springs from other mags or upgraded ones from Wolff. It was a good solution if you were issued magazines, but stung a bit if you were buying GI mags.

Then, out of the West sprang "new" polymer magazines. I first saw them in a Pat Rogers class, and they were to be considered "training only" magazines at that time. Before you could say "Tactical Reload" there were videos of dudes running them over with trucks, tanks, and steam-rollers. As a community, we were sold before we could even find them on shelves. The fact that they cost 1/5th the price of HK mags had tremendous appeal, as did the ability to stuff 30 rounds into them and be able to tac-reload, in addition to the nice feature to not ramdomly tear a gouge in your thumb while stuffing the mag/press checking the top round. They also came in uniform matching colors (!).

I was an early proponent of PMags. Never had an issue with them (only bought one windowed mag, for verification of claims), and there were a lot of nice things about them. I destroyed one of mine just to see how much abuse one could take before failure. And make no bones about it, I absolutely did break it. What I really liked was how much damage the feedlips could take, and when they did break, they still would work (at least for the remainer of that magazine), and damage would simply take a chunk out of the mag or create a clean crack that would not interfere with operation. A small dent in the side of a metal mag will bind the follower, and bent feedlips will cause problems. An experienced eye will quickly identify the problem, but there are not as many experienced eyes in the .mil as there rightfully should be. Further, they actually worked in M249s, which was a nice bonus. So, an inexpensive magazine that functionally holds 30 rounds (though I load to 28 for real work) featuring a working anti-tilt and crud resistant follower that can be quickly visually checked for issues and worked in all of our 5.56 weapons held great value.

Then the love affair began to taper off.
It all really started a few years ago when a batch of them had repeated failures during a carbine course. The guy that reported it was met by huge push-back. Then issues started to arise in cold weather, which was also met by huge push-back. It was initially reported that non-black versions were less robust than the black ones, but that was met by huge push-back. It seemed that only people that personally experienced issues with PMags believed that they weren't the single greatest improvement to the system since the Mk262.

I have broken PMags.
I have broken HK mags.
I have broken a lot of GI mags.

I also wear out disposable razors at a pretty predicatable pace.
Magazines are a disposable item. Do not pay more for them than what you are willing to throw away once expected service life is met in your environment. Most magazines work...until they don't.

I stopped buying magazines about 2 years ago, other than a few "new" GI mags I grabbed on a whim for $9 each.
When my rotation of mags drops by another 20 I will probably pick up some of the new Lancers (just to see how they work) or GI mags (I have a relatively unfounded fondness for OKay mags, but haven't seen new ones in a while).

kwelz
05-06-12, 16:09

I won't comment on the video or the post. However I did love this comment on the video.

Humvee: DIE PMAG DIEEE!!!

PMAG: HAHAHAH I LAUGH AT YOUR ATTEMPTS TO HURT ME!!

HUMVEE: WHY WONT YOU DIE!!

PMAG: THIS IS GETTING TIRING...WAKE ME UP WHEN YOU DONE

HUMVEE: GO TO HELL PMAG!! *runs off angrily*

Wiggity
05-06-12, 16:36
Are the tan followers anti tilt?

a0cake
05-06-12, 16:38
Are the tan followers anti tilt?

Yep, they are.

Cagemonkey
05-06-12, 18:26
F2S pretty much summed it up. The problem is a system that tries to keep a disposable, non repairable item in service beyond its limits. All unserviceable GI mags should be destroyed as soon as they are determined to be defective with the heal of ones boot in order to prevent them from being recirculated. The new tan followers sound great except for the fact that they should have been designed so as to limit the magazine to 28 rounds.

sboza
05-06-12, 18:32

That just shows character. a0cake, you're a solid dude.

Strider5.56
05-06-12, 20:13
Pat

I agree totally with Pat. If personal experience is different than what some SME on hear are saying, I am going with personal experience. Once again I wonder how one becomes a SME.......I have personally seen crap on here that I just can't believe people are supporting product "A" over product "B". Only thing I can figure is that they are getting freebies or it looks good in "Call of Duty, Modern Warfare". We must remember, and I am NOT knocking 90% of our true SMEs on here, if you are an "Instructor/Trainer", you got to have some kinda of new technique or new tool to make you relevant. Or you start bashing something that a majority of people have NOT had any issues with because you need to market your stuff. I love these guys who always say "If you like this, your an idiot." Then they never back up what they are saying with some actual research or examples. Then magically they appear with a new product endorsement. They are as fake as any pop singer on MTV selling records. Any acclaimed SME out there giving info just so they can make a buck can burn in hell......

a0cake
05-06-12, 20:17
I agree totally with Pat. If personal experience is different than what some SME on hear are saying, I am going with personal experience. Once again I wonder how one becomes a SME.......I have personally seen crap on here that I just can't believe people are supporting product "A" over product "B". Only thing I can figure is that they are getting freebies or it looks good in "Call of Duty, Modern Warfare". We must remember, and I am NOT knocking 90% of our true SMEs on here, if you are an "Instructor/Trainer", you got to have some kinda of new technique or new tool to make you relevant. Or you start bashing something that a majority of people have NOT had any issues with because you need to market your stuff. I love these guys who always say "If you like this, your an idiot." Then they never back up what they are saying with some actual research or examples. Then magically they appear with a new product endorsement. They are as fake as any pop singer on MTV selling records. Any acclaimed SME out there giving info just so they can make a buck can burn in hell......

You went full retard man. Nobody here is making money by bashing PMAG's and advocating using USGI mags.

Todd00000
05-06-12, 20:20
You went full retard man. Nobody here is making money by bashing PMAG's and advocating using USGI mags.
:cool::haha:

sboza
05-06-12, 20:38

I'm with a0cake on this one dude. I think there was some reading comprehension fail on your part.

And my understanding is that the SME's on this site are verified sf dudes. That doesn't mean that they don't have differing opinions or that everyone else should bow down and do whatever an SME suggests or does. What it means is: Here is a dude with a ton of training and knowledge, been through selection, and most importantly, has had lots of actual operational experience. Not gaming and/or tons of traning or whatever some folks think make themselves qualified to disrespect SME's. When they speak, I listen with an open mind. Doesn't mean I blindly follow.

P.S. much respect for the conventional combat mos dudes too. I am specifically refering to the SME's as that is what was being addressed and their creds have been verified. There is a small but decent number of folks on this forum that definitely know what they are talking about without a status next to their name (such as a0cake).

rushca01
05-06-12, 21:20

Might consider taking a second to read this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76472&highlight=SME

rob_s
05-06-12, 21:27

You didn't get your check?

Question:
Is there a milspec for Pmags? While I haven't seen/found it yet there is undoubtedly one for the aluminum mags, and I imagine it is right down to the number of welds, finish, dimensions of the mag catch hole, etc. Same can be said for any other magazine?

!Nvasi0n
05-06-12, 22:11
Wow, this is starting to smell like a damn DI vs Gas Piston thread :) I'm just saying. If you are in the army, it's probably out of your hands. If your a civie, who cares buy what works...

JSantoro
05-06-12, 23:24
Indeed it is.

If there's a "You're an idiot..." message to be had, it's this: You're an idiot if you fall in love with your magazines, regardless of their manufacturer, configuration, or material.

I'm not a music guy. It's background noise, to me, so there's only two types or genres: music I like, and music I don't like.

In that idiom, there's only two types of magazines: Those that you have function-tested and are confident will run, and those that failed and should be fed into a wood-chipper.

I own and use 4 different brands of polymer mags and USGI; the only truly distinguishing feature of any of them is that THEY FUNCTION, and that they cease to exist once they no longer do so.....and I remain cognizant of the fact that there will come a time when they will FAIL. Disposable items, like Bic lighters.

Having said that, the thread is a heads-up regarding a shift in Army policy, with the likely intent of the OP being that of max dissemination. Let's keep the Less Filling/Tastes Great arguments to the existing threads that speak to such (one of which is cited), if you please.

As for how one becomes tagged as a SME, how it's defined aboard M4C is clearly spoken to HERE: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1497

If one wants to run his jib about SMEs, it's be best to do so after having read the stickied threads that hang in every subforum we have, which exist for a reason, such as defining precisely THAT sort of info.

SOWT
05-07-12, 00:05

Ding, Ding, Ding!

I am willing to bet they claim an upper is not a personal weapon, so they are not in violation of GO1.

They could still have issues returning to the CONUS though.

I encouraged my guys to buy/shoot AR-15/M-4 weapons, but only to get better with their issued weapons. What advantage is their to using a civilian upper on a DoD weapon?

GrumpyM4
05-07-12, 02:51
Indeed it is.

If there's a "You're an idiot..." message to be had, it's this: You're an idiot if you fall in love with your magazines, regardless of their manufacturer, configuration, or material.

This cannot be stressed enough IMHO.

I do prefer one type over another, but I still own both.

I am willing to place my life in the hands of both, I just know that one will last longer then the other, but in the end, both will end up failing at some point, hopefully not when I need them for real.

And i'm still waiting for my check from magpul for pimpin' their mags.......been waiting several years. Sometimes I don't think it'll ever show.....:(

STAFF
05-07-12, 10:05

In order to become a SME on this forum, you must be (or have been) attached to a Tier 1 unit or a direct action guy. Most of the SME's on here are either in or were in a Tier 1 unit.

When they give a recommendation, it is not to be taken lightly or blown off.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-07-12, 10:13
Hey man, where are you getting this from? It's not true at all. Or are you just trying to keep all the pre-bans for yourself? :secret:

NYS Penal Code 265.00 section 23
23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition."

I was wrong I mixed things up in my head thanks for correcting me

M4Guru
05-07-12, 13:38
Just so I'm tracking on what Strider5.56 is saying...the guys that make and sell millions of mags to the US Government are paying me to subvert PMAG sales to an extremely small subculture of shooting sport and MIL/LE enthusiasts to enhance their bottom line by selling a couple more dozen mags a year to former PMAG converts?

You know why I use GI mags? Because they appear to work as wonderfully\poorly as Lancer L5s or PMAGs for 1000000% more free in terms of what they cost me. I can use new ones every day and throw them out and not run out. PMAGs are fine. Use them. Feed my friends at Magpul's kids....I like those guys a lot.

Also, in you guys quest for proof of stuff...dudes get fired for sharing test reports. Procurement data is 100% classified for everything the units test\buy\issue. Like lose your clearance, career, job, just to prove something you have no need to prove to "the Internet". So you can see why it's not a good deal to show how many stoppages X had over Y in independent testing by outside contractors, regardless of the digital myths that would be crushed. In specialized units nothing bought or issued is an accident or one guy's uneducated opinion...it's done for a reason that I wager is more scientific, professional, thorough, and f-ing expensive than anywhere else. Its what is called EEFI by these various unit's commanders...it doesn't mean "Essential for Everyone on the ****ing Internet" unfortunately.

The information posted by anyone here is worth EXACTLY what you pay for it...

Matt Edwards
05-07-12, 14:36
Jonny,

You hit it on the head.

feedramp
05-07-12, 14:57
Also, in you guys quest for proof of stuff...dudes get fired for sharing test reports. Procurement data is 100% classified for everything the units test\buy\issue. Like lose your clearance, career, job, just to prove something you have no need to prove to "the Internet". So you can see why it's not a good deal to show how many stoppages X had over Y in independent testing by outside contractors, regardless of the digital myths that would be crushed.
That's a real shame. Valuable info kept from good people who could benefit from it. Such is life.

The information posted by anyone here is worth EXACTLY what you pay for it...
Disagree. Plenty of people who run their guns hard, teach courses, have time downrange, all share personal experience here with failures or lack-thereof, all of which is worth way more than what I'm "paying" for it. In lieu of having the actual government data which you say is classified, I'll take their experiential evidence and value it according to their experience level, which is generally pretty high.

M4Guru
05-07-12, 16:22
OK, how bout "your obligation to take any of the information here as fact is nonexistent"?

Strider5.56
05-07-12, 19:45
Ok, for clarification, I did get off track with my post. Pat's post about information different from his experience got me thinking. My comment was not geared towards magazines, it was a different piece of equipment. The reason why I kept it vague was to simply follow rule one. Which is: