PDA

View Full Version : Casio G-shock

sboza
05-04-12, 22:55
I did some searching on m4c and it seems like Casio G-shock watches are pretty durable. I begin a le academy shortly and I need a watch that has a stopwatch, timer, alarm, and can be completely silenced.

I was looking at this model as it is cheap and I expect it to get beat up quite a bit: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW9052-1V-G-Shock-Classic-Digital/dp/B000GAYQLI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Am I scraping the bottom of the barrel? Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar model? Any alternate recommendations in the $50-100 range? Thanks guys.

.45fmjoe
05-05-12, 00:30
I have no experience with the watch, but I need to get one for wear on duty since wearing an expensive automatic is kinda stupid.

Good luck in your academy, keep your nose clean and in the books. Oh, and make sure you can run and how are your pushups? Can you shoot? ;)

NongShim
05-05-12, 00:44
I wear a G-Shock all the time. I don't have that model. I got a solar powered one on clearance for less than $40. It has been awesome for 5 years. I wear it more often than my Suunto Vector lately, because it is less bulky. I assure you that a G-Shock will be robust enough for your academy.

sboza
05-05-12, 01:31
I have no experience with the watch, but I need to get one for wear on duty since wearing an expensive automatic is kinda stupid.

Good luck in your academy, keep your nose clean and in the books. Oh, and make sure you can run and how are your pushups? Can you shoot? ;)

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm not too young so getting into trouble isn't as much of a concern but your advice is well received and appreciated. Hitting the books and maintaining motivation for some of the more tedious material is going to be a challenge but I hate to fail at anything so that should push me through.

I'm a pretty strong runner although I rarely run over 5 miles a time and usually stick to 2-3 miles. I used to run 1.5 miles before working out to warm up and I've recently switched to doing that postworkout so my times on the 1.5 are a bit slower due to muscle fatigue but i still attain about 11 min on the 1.5 with hilly roads. I can do better on a planned 1.5 mile run without the fatigue of a prior workout.

As for push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups, I haven't maxed out in the last couple of months but I have focused on core strength. After your post, I tested myself and untimed and without rest I hit 78 push-ups, 80 sit-ups, and 14 pull-ups. With some exercise specific conditioning, I can bring those numbers higher in the coming weeks but I think I should be alright at least at the beginning of the academy.

I've never really been out of shape and my body to height ratio is pretty good (6'0" at 180lbs) so I am, fortunately, not in the rush to get into shape category.

Shooting is the least of my worries since I have benefited from really good (and really bad :)) training. I am confident with pistol and carbine. The shotgun is where I am lacking. I only have fam training for the purpose of a breaching module. So I do have some concern with that weapon system.

Thank you for your kind words and advice, I am grateful.

sboza
05-05-12, 01:33
I wear a G-Shock all the time. I don't have that model. I got a solar powered one on clearance for less than $40. It has been awesome for 5 years. I wear it more often than my Suunto Vector lately, because it is less bulky. I assure you that a G-Shock will be robust enough for your academy.

Thank you sir, based on your recommendation and SME status, I went ahead and made the purchase. I appreciate the feedback.

Aries4570
05-05-12, 01:35
I've owned a G Shock Mudman for 4 years of duty work and through the academy. It has to be the toughest watch I have ever owned.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G9000-1V-G-Shock-Mudman-Digital/dp/B000FPVUJA

I bought mine for $65 brand new back then. Must have been a sale.

sboza
05-05-12, 01:50
I've owned a G Shock Mudman for 4 years of duty work and through the academy. It has to be the toughest watch I have ever owned.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G9000-1V-G-Shock-Mudman-Digital/dp/B000FPVUJA

I bought mine for $65 brand new back then. Must have been a sale.

Wow, I like it. Very few negative reviews. At $90, it is twice as pricey as the one I just ordered. I really like the Mudman, may have to pick that one up at some point after the academy to use as my primary watch. Thank you for the suggestion

Pax
05-05-12, 03:04
Another here who cannot speak highly enough of his G Shock.

I have been meaning to compile a list of people who approve of the G Shock series and use some themselves for some time now. Off the top of my head, I can recall Walter Sobchak, numerous PJs and of course... Jack Bauer.

SeriousStudent
05-05-12, 12:47
I will second the recommendation posted by the others. I have a pair of solar atomic G-shocks. Both have been perfect for the last seven years. I got them at a sale from an insurance company. They had been in a store destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, buried underwater in rubble for 6 weeks.

They run perfectly with no issues at all, and I do not baby them at all. I own a Suunto as well, and really like it. But when I know the watch is going to get beat, I reach for one of my Casios.

Good luck with your academy!

Jaysop
05-05-12, 13:08
I recommend a mudman! Im wearing one right now, its my gym watch. Its also my hard work, duty watch.
The buttons are stiff which you'll figure out is a good thing. And the display is simple.

Best watch ive ever had in terms of reliability. Ive beat the shit out of it, soaked it froze it, left it in summer sun and so on. Also the light is very good on it. And simple functions.

Before that I had a solar powered one and had some issues with it as did the few other people who bought them at the same time. (post crucible in boot camp) maybe a bad lot. there are quite a few designs of the mudman, I have an ugly green one. there's a nice all black one as well.

I also have one with the hands and such, the light sucks on it so beware of the type you get.

I have a Tag Heuer I got as a gift, looks nice but I still feel like my $60 does a better job for what I need.

Look on ebay and get a good deal. I don't normally recommend ebay but just check the seller out, make sure its new and jump on a good deal. Get something you like because more than likley it will last you a loooooong time. And if your cheap like me if it work I can justify replacing it until it dies, 5 years I believe on the mudman I have on right now.

sboza
05-05-12, 14:15
I recommend a mudman! Im wearing one right now, its my gym watch. Its also my hard work, duty watch.
The buttons are stiff which you'll figure out is a good thing. And the display is simple.

Best watch ive ever had in terms of reliability. Ive beat the shit out of it, soaked it froze it, left it in summer sun and so on. Also the light is very good on it. And simple functions.

Before that I had a solar powered one and had some issues with it as did the few other people who bought them at the same time. (post crucible in boot camp) maybe a bad lot. there are quite a few designs of the mudman, I have an ugly green one. there's a nice all black one as well.

I also have one with the hands and such, the light sucks on it so beware of the type you get.

I have a Tag Heuer I got as a gift, looks nice but I still feel like my $60 does a better job for what I need.

Look on ebay and get a good deal. I don't normally recommend ebay but just check the seller out, make sure its new and jump on a good deal. Get something you like because more than likley it will last you a loooooong time. And if your cheap like me if it work I can justify replacing it until it dies, 5 years I believe on the mudman I have on right now.

Alright, you guys have me sold on the mudman. I get free return shipping on the model I just bought so I'm sending it back when I receive it. Is the model of the mudman recommended by Aries4570 what you would also recommend? I looked on amazon and there are mudman models from $90 to $399. I think I'll stick with the $90 one unless there is some really good reason to pay more.

And I will check eBay as you recommended. Thank you.

mallowpufft
05-05-12, 14:24
I currently own two G-shocks and have traded a few others away.
My primary one is a black GW6900 solar/atomic. Handy as hell. I mtb in it, ski in it, bang around on snow making equipment with it, fiddle **** with power tools with it. Hell, I threw it off the chairlift this winter on to a pile of rocks 70ft below. Skied down, hiked in to the rock pile and grabbed it. Nothing wrong with it. Still runs fine.
My other is a bright red Mudman that I like quite a bit but the bright red tends to stand out a bit. I really like the extra seals over the Mudman buttons.
If you can find a solar/atomic Mudman you won't regret it. You'll get 10+ years of daily use out of it.

I've found some good deals on the classifieds at watchuseek
It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

Jaysop
05-05-12, 14:29
Alright, you guys have me sold on the mudman. I get free return shipping on the model I just bought so I'm sending it back when I receive it. Is the model of the mudman recommended by Aries4570 what you would also recommend? I looked on amazon and there are mudman models from $90 to $399. I think I'll stick with the $90 one unless there is some really good reason to pay more.

And I will check eBay as you recommended. Thank you.

$399!!?!
That's insane, Im sure you could find one for 60$
I can't imagine what is worth 399 on the others ecept for the trendy all white or red ones.

LocoPlumber
05-05-12, 14:45
i've had the same solar atomic g shock for close to 8 years and i have never had a single issue with it. i would tell you get it and don't look back. mine was $90 back then i don't know about now though.

sboza
05-05-12, 15:02
$399!!?!
That's insane, Im sure you could find one for 60$
I can't imagine what is worth 399 on the others ecept for the trendy all white or red ones.

Ha, yeah, my budget didn't quite hit $399. I found the mudman aries suggested for 80 shipped, I think I'll hit the buy button on it. Thanks for the help man. I think I'll be happier with the mudman than the one I linked at the top.

sboza
05-05-12, 15:12
Dammit dammit dammit! http://www.lapolicegear.com/casio-g9000-1v-g-shock-mudman-watch.html

Lapolicegear has it for 59.95 but they are backordered too far back for me. Oh well, $80 isn't bad, thanks for all the help guys.

ZoneOne
05-05-12, 18:01
I have this Timex Ironman Shock.

I've had it for years, survived multiple military schools as well as entire deployment in Afghanistan.

It was around $25.00

If / when it ever breaks, I will just buy another one. I find the GShocks to be too bulky.

Link to image :

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f220/271726d1269993714-timex-ironman-shock-review-buzzbait-t5k195-2.jpg

Jaysop
05-05-12, 18:04
Ha, yeah, my budget didn't quite hit $399. I found the mudman aries suggested for 80 shipped, I think I'll hit the buy button on it. Thanks for the help man. I think I'll be happier with the mudman than the one I linked at the top.

Hey no problem. I believe you'll be served well by it.

Erk1015
05-05-12, 19:47
It looks like I might be too late, but I wore that exact model for about three years. It went through ocean swims, two trips to Iraq and plenty of training in the states. The thing that finally killed it was a fat lady at walmart who screwed up the insides of it replacing a battery. I went and got another one and it has been working fine since '09.

madisonsfinest
05-05-12, 20:29
It looks like I might be too late, but I wore that exact model for about three years. It went through ocean swims, two trips to Iraq and plenty of training in the states. The thing that finally killed it was a fat lady at walmart who screwed up the insides of it replacing a battery. I went and got another one and it has been working fine since '09.

Too funny. That was exactly what took down my first G-Shock. Of course they gave me a solar one, new to replace it for breaking it

sboza
05-05-12, 20:39

Which model did you have? The one I originally linked or the mudman that Aries and a couple other dudes recommended? I've got both on order and I was gonna send back the dw9052. But at $42, I wouldn't mind keeping it as a back-up and dedicating training watch.

I will stay the hell clear of Walmart for battery replacement. :lol:

Redhat
05-05-12, 21:35
Another atomic/solar user. Had it since '05 and still going strong after everyday duty wear. I wish it had a count down feature...but it's an obsolete model (GW300) so maybe the new ones do.

Strider5.56
05-05-12, 22:00
I love my G-shock. I have been wearing it everyday for a little over a year. I have the Rare negative display "scorpion" G9300-GB1. Great watch. Has navigation and is still a mudman. What appealed to me about the g shocks is that fact that you can get anything from basic to advanced options and it won't break your bank. I have never understood why so many people pay as much for a watch as they do their handguns. Especially the analogue watches. We live in a digital world, why not go digital?

bdcheung
05-05-12, 22:02
I've had my unknown-model G-Shock since... gosh... high school?

The rubber strap finally broke, and I'll be replacing it with this:
http://www.countycomm.com/milnato.html

Erk1015
05-05-12, 22:03
Which model did you have? The one I originally linked or the mudman that Aries and a couple other dudes recommended? I've got both on order and I was gonna send back the dw9052. But at $42, I wouldn't mind keeping it as a back-up and dedicating training watch.

I will stay the hell clear of Walmart for battery replacement. :lol:

The dw9052 that you originally linked, sorry I should have specified.

sboza
05-05-12, 22:16
The dw9052 that you originally linked, sorry I should have specified.

No worries brother. In that case, I may just dedicate the dw9052 as my backup and training watch rather than return it. Thanks for the input.

And thank you to everyone else for their suggestions and experiences. I appreciate it.

jmoore
05-05-12, 22:59
Especially the analogue watches. We live in a digital world, why not go digital?

....are geezers who really like analogue. If I could get an analogue equivalent to a "G-Spot" - oops, G-Shock, - I would be all over it:) Am open to any suggestions, btw.

FWIW & OT - some of my students "misread" the analogue clocks in the classroom because they are SO used to a digital-only world!!!!!!! And they really freak when I have them do an assignement without their calculators or cell phone "apps"!!!! "You mean you want us to do LONG DIVISION????" :)

john (young geezer:)

Serpico1985
05-05-12, 23:32
Seeing this thread reminded me how much I liked my old solar g-shock that went MIA at work. I ordered this (http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/G5600KG-3.asp) solar g-shock to replace it.

Thanks m4c for making me spend more of my hard earned cash.

Defaultmp3
05-06-12, 02:10
I have never understood why so many people pay as much for a watch as they do their handguns. Especially the analogue watches. We live in a digital world, why not go digital?

Analog watches are far easier to read at a glance. As for the cost issue differential between a G-Shock and a nice chronometer, it's about craftsmanship; a G-Shock is like a Glock, a Sinn or Rolex or whatever can be seen as a high end 1911. You either get it or you don't.

misanthropist
05-06-12, 11:13
My daily wear is an analog g-shock - well, it used to be until the strap gave its life defending me from a pit bull attack at work (seriously).

I haven't ordered a new strap yet, but I will. It's a good watch and I like the fact that, as stated, I can just glance at it and get the time.

They make a few analog models. Mine is a simple one but I have seen some pretty impressive ones as well.

HackerF15E
05-06-12, 11:26
....are geezers who really like analogue. If I could get an analogue equivalent to a "G-Spot" - oops, G-Shock, - I would be all over it:) Am open to any suggestions, btw.

There is actually a whole line of analog G-shocks.

http://www.gshock.com/watches/aviation/readmore2/

http://www.gshock.com/resource/refresh/images/watches/detail/aviation-readmore.png

rob_s
05-06-12, 11:26
I'm not exactly sure what separates the G-Shock from the regular watches, but if you're willing for forgo the G-Shock name you can broaden your horizons to other Casio models. When I couldn't find what I wanted in the G-Shock line I expanded out and found exactly what I wanted in the regular line.

Of course, the watch has proven to be smarter than me and I haven't taken the time to figure out how to work all the features I thought I wanted, so...
:sarcastic:

ETA:
I kind of wish I'd gotten an Ironman with the start/stop on the face instead of the side. FWIW.

RD62
05-06-12, 13:09

http://www.gshock.com/resource/refresh/images/watches/detail/aviation-readmore.png

That's a pretty sharp looking G-Shock analog.

My sole watch at the moment is a G-Shock analog that I have had for a few years now.

I prefer to wear a SS Chrono or Divers watch for work, church, out on the town, etc. Something with a nice SS bracelet, but I am hard on them and keep killing them...

My G-Shock keeps ticking along though. However it does gain time like an SOB. Several minutes a month. Maybe it's time to change the battery?

jmoore
05-06-12, 16:29

...just made my day:)

john

jpmuscle
05-08-12, 00:51
...just made my day:)

john

Ill second that, ive been searching for a replacement watch for a month or so now. The aviation line is really really nice and the stainless bands are huge plus too as im not a fan for the poly ones. I just cant decide between the aviation model you quoted or the following G9300GB in black/gold. just no metal band

http://www.gshock.com/resource/refresh/images/watches/xlarge/G9300GB-1_xlarge.png

http://www.gshock.com/watches/?id=270E608A-2FD0-4B21-9D3B-58950AA41791&pline=8EDC0377-2A63-43D4-A06F-1EE2F1A1814E

I do find myself lusting after a few of the EDIFICE model watches tho

trappernanabg19
05-08-12, 09:28
I've had mine for over 20and some years and it's still going strong.

Clobbersauras
05-14-12, 01:00
I've been wearing this model daily for over two years.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu0Tmg0e7wNXbkq6iaykGBeVzTneefjZT14_IUVg2prYB0byOk

I work in an office pushing papers all day wearing "business casual", so I get ripped about my watch not being dressy enough semi regularly. My usual response is to stand up and say "this is why I wear it" and throw the watch as hard as I can against the floor. I then toss it to them and ask them to inspect it for damage, which there never is. Done this trick two or three times now and the idiot ripping me about the watch always ends up asking more questions about G-shocks. I'm sure one day it will backfire and I'll smash the crystal, but until that day....:D

jmoore
05-14-12, 08:39
However it does gain time like an SOB. Several minutes a month. Maybe it's time to change the battery?

Does yours have the "multi band 6" feature? I thought that was supposed to update the time via radio on a regular basis?

TIA

john

streck
05-14-12, 09:24
I am completely sold on G-shocks as a utility watch. I have had the same DW-8200 Frogman since '96 when I bought in the UAE while on deployment. It has seen nearly daily wear through through deployments, several schools, saltwater submersion, flight deck non-stick bashing.

It is on its 3rd battery with no problems.

If it ever does give up the ghost, this thing deserves to be buried with honors and a color guard.

Internet image of my watch (the red letters are worn off the protective case but still present on the face):

http://watchshock.com/photo/Casio/G-Shock/Frogman/DW-8200-1A/DW-8200-1A-watches-1252342245.jpg

SHIVAN
05-14-12, 09:29
I went Riseman, http://www.amazon.com/G-SHOCK-G-Shock-Riseman-Watch/dp/B003II1B4K

I wanted the solar, atomic clock and altimeter. I wanted the altimeter specifically for knowing altitude for hunting and it's potential effects on ballistics.

The solar charging is sweet and it auto-syncs time everyday.

SWATcop556
05-14-12, 09:35
Bought this one about eight years ago and its been rocking along through everything I can throw at it. Only time I don't have it on with when I'm forced to wear nice clothes (not a uniform or jeans and a t-shirt) like for church.

http://www.gshock.com/products/index.php?id=466F3559-C829-42E1-A8EB-76BF91889320

Pay no attention to the douche in the ad. FWIW this color blends well with most clothing colors.

streck
05-14-12, 09:45
Pay no attention to the douche in the ad. FWIW this color blends well with most clothing colors.

I don't know, yellow seems to be your color.... :D

SWATcop556
05-15-12, 09:47
I don't know, yellow seems to be your color.... :D

Yooooooouuuuuuuu mutha****a. :big_boss::sarcastic:

RD62
05-15-12, 12:32
Does yours have the "multi band 6" feature? I thought that was supposed to update the time via radio on a regular basis?

TIA

john

Negative.

Mine is identical to the one pictured in the post above your question.

madisonsfinest
05-15-12, 19:56
The problem with the G-Shock is they last forever. So it's hard to justify buying another one when the one you have works well

mallowpufft
05-15-12, 20:08
But they come in different colors to match different outfits

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk 2

mildot
05-15-12, 20:57
I've been using a "Mudman" at work for a while, rugged and the price is right. I don't think that you can go wrong. I bought the battery version.
not the solar.

duece71
05-15-12, 21:29
The Aviator G shocks look nice. Does anyone know if there is one that displays GMT or one that displays multiple time zones? Might be kind of useful in my line of work......:D Thanks.

mildot
05-15-12, 21:31
I believe that the Mudman does.

mallowpufft
05-16-12, 15:48
Most of them have some sort of second time zone option. Looking at my 6900 right now I just tap the split / reset button to swap time zone with date.

http://img.tapatalk.com/20945640-1245-def4.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/20945640-1276-a6cb.jpg

Don't have the mudman on me right now but I'm 99% certain it's the same.
Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk 2

Twisted10
05-17-12, 09:59
im gonna pick up a mudman sometime soon. :)

B52U
05-17-12, 10:10
Most durable watch I've ever owned. Waveceptor/tough solar GW-002KA. Everyday wear for years. Usually the first thing on digital watches to go is a cracked band from repeated donning and doffing. This one however has the nylon/resin band which has proven very durable.

Ricardus
05-17-12, 10:22
This is the one we used back in '88-'91. I used it for about 7 years before I needed to change the battery. Casio discontinued it for the longest time and then brought it back. It is easy to use and not too complicated to set up.

I used this model while at Ft. Bragg in jumps and it was the unofficial "airborne version" because the plastic strap would easily break off if the strap got hung up on something when exiting the C130 and it proved itself rugged when abused by everyone in my squad.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW5600E-1V-G-Shock-Classic-Digital/dp/B000GAYQKY/ref=sr_1_15?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1337267887&sr=1-15

jamaicanj
05-20-12, 23:38
I have two g-shock watches that have given me no issues whatsoever. Thumbs up

BGREID
05-22-12, 12:21
I still have a G shock that I bought in the early 80's, I don't use it anymore but I had replaced the 7 year battery twice before I quit using it. If the quality is still the same they make a good work watch.

jpmuscle
05-27-12, 13:13
This is the one we used back in '88-'91. I used it for about 7 years before I needed to change the battery. Casio discontinued it for the longest time and then brought it back. It is easy to use and not too complicated to set up.

I used this model while at Ft. Bragg in jumps and it was the unofficial "airborne version" because the plastic strap would easily break off if the strap got hung up on something when exiting the C130 and it proved itself rugged when abused by everyone in my squad.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW5600E-1V-G-Shock-Classic-Digital/dp/B000GAYQKY/ref=sr_1_15?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1337267887&sr=1-15

Thanks for the link, I just ordered one. I figure for the price its a cheap spare.

Spiffums
05-27-12, 20:56
Hrmm the yellow would match my Jeep....... Maybe if the clock on the radio ever goes out LOL

trinydex
05-02-13, 18:43
Ill second that, ive been searching for a replacement watch for a month or so now. The aviation line is really really nice and the stainless bands are huge plus too as im not a fan for the poly ones. I just cant decide between the aviation model you quoted or the following G9300GB in black/gold. just no metal band

http://www.gshock.com/resource/refresh/images/watches/xlarge/G9300GB-1_xlarge.png

http://www.gshock.com/watches/?id=270E608A-2FD0-4B21-9D3B-58950AA41791&pline=8EDC0377-2A63-43D4-A06F-1EE2F1A1814E

I do find myself lusting after a few of the EDIFICE model watches tho

it seem the gw9300 is one of the $300+ priced ones because the g9300 is the only one that can be sold in america. the gw9300 has solar and atomic, but the g9300 only has solar, no atomic.

there's always the option of putting a nato strap on your gshock...

rdbse
05-02-13, 19:23
I had the DW-5600 series model in the late 80's to early 90's. Great watch for what I needed but the band eventually rotted away.

mikelowrey
05-02-13, 20:06
When I did my LE academy I bought a $30 dollar Casio at Kmart that have been through everything you name it, eventually wifey got me a g shock I think it was around $70 and both are still running strong, now I debate myself which one I should wear to work lol.

pinzgauer
05-02-13, 20:31
Hard to beat the G-Shock. My son is wrapping up his 2nd year at West Point, served him well in field stuff (FTX, Air Assault, etc) but is also good for garrison duty.

There was a specific model that had a couple of features the RA guys recommended. So had to look a bit to find it. (Countdown timer???)

peruna
05-03-13, 19:33
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/3717/gshock.jpg

donlapalma
05-04-13, 12:55
Here is my Mudman GW-9300ER-5JF. I've had it about a year and I absolutely love it. Note the "Multi Band 6" on the face. This indicates that the watch operates by Atomic Timekeeping. Just pointing it out because the idiot working at Macy's tried to tell me that all the Casio's have Atomic Timekeeping. She clearly had no idea what she was talking about. So, don't be fooled if some moron or shady salesperson tries to mislead you.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/20130504_075352_zps1b249aae.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/dballare/media/20130504_075352_zps1b249aae.jpg.html)

Rob96
05-05-13, 05:26
On my second G-Shock. Had an original back when I was an Air Force SP. One weekend while working a gate at Clark that no one used on weekends I decided to see what it would take to break it. Kept me busy all day. Current watch is around 7 years old. Only odd thing about it is that it likes to run two minutes fast.

HackerF15E
05-05-13, 09:44
One weekend while working a gate at Clark that no one used on weekends I decided to see what it would take to break it. Kept me busy all day.

Awesome.

What was the end result? Did it take Mt Pinatubo to actually kill it?

motorolahamm
05-06-13, 08:34
Not sure on the model but I have had a solar powered one for about 11 years now. Never have had to change the battery.

sl4mdaddy
05-06-13, 08:46
'Had' a G-Shock solar/atomic for years with no issues at all....I'm sure it's still functioning flawlessly for the cork smoker that broke into our house or whomever he/she/it sold it to.

hal13
05-06-13, 10:26
I hate G-Shock!

I have a atomic/solar with metal band. It works perfect, no batteries to change, always has exact time, and had taken a lot of abuse. I have had it for 8 years and it keeps on ticking. It is so indestructible, I cannot justify buying a new watch.......:no:

Rob96
05-06-13, 16:46
Awesome.

What was the end result? Did it take Mt Pinatubo to actually kill it?

Actually I missed Pinatubo by a few months. :mad: I was there for everything else and miss the grand finale.

The watch suffered through repeated throws against a building and spiking it into the road. Can't remember what else I did to it. But ot did finally sucumb to the abuse it was dealt.

trinydex
05-07-13, 15:07
Here is my Mudman GW-9300ER-5JF. I've had it about a year and I absolutely love it. Note the "Multi Band 6" on the face. This indicates that the watch operates by Atomic Timekeeping. Just pointing it out because the idiot working at Macy's tried to tell me that all the Casio's have Atomic Timekeeping. She clearly had no idea what she was talking about. So, don't be fooled if some moron or shady salesperson tries to mislead you.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/dballare/20130504_075352_zps1b249aae.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/dballare/media/20130504_075352_zps1b249aae.jpg.html)

dang that's a $300+ gshock

i have a g9300-1 that i just started wearing daily. i think it has just the right combination of features. it's big but that's nice. i have the nato strap adapters and a maratac band. i like that it's solar powered, i wish it had atomic, but i've been checking the time drift and if i adjust it once a month it's not going to be an issue. even if i didn't, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

streck
05-08-13, 06:53
I've been using a "Mudman" at work for a while, rugged and the price is right. I don't think that you can go wrong. I bought the battery version.
not the solar.

im gonna pick up a mudman sometime soon. :)

I just bought the G9000-1V from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPVUJA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Keep an eye on the price as I paid less than is listed now.
It is a Master of G Mudman model for less than $100..and has world time. Just not atomic or solar. The display is great; uncluttered and easy to read until almost complete darkness.

I also have an 8900SH-1 and am not a fan of the dark background on the face. It is pretty hard to read in low or transient lighting. It is just fine for daytime use but the G9000 has been getting almost exclusive use.

I just need a new bezel and band for my DW8200 Frogman to get it back in the rotation.

NickyDunzo
08-12-13, 21:48
Been using GR7900nv for 3 years. It's been beat to hell still looks new. Next one I get though will have para cord band.

coastwatcher42
08-13-13, 10:42
I've got a G Shock that I bought at Wal-Mart around 1997-98 and it is still going strong. I've had to replace the battery a few times and it has went through a few straps. I work as a contractor and am very hard on watches and the Casio is the most rugged one I have had. I have been toying with the idea of replacing it with a Luminox, but I keep thinking about that old adage, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

chuckman
08-13-13, 11:46
I have the one that is solar and is sync'ed to the atomic clock. I never need to change a battery and I never have to change the time. I have had it for several years, in jungles, deserts, water...nary a problem.

KiloSierra
08-24-13, 08:21
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/24/yhyqebus.jpg

My GW 7900B. It replaced the stainless case Wal Mart special G-shock I finally tore up after five years. I would never get a Casio that's not a G-shock with the Tough Solar and Multi Band 6 features because I've never had a battery in Casio battery only watch last more then a year and the time keeping without the atomic clock syncing sucks on every other Casio I've had and the non G-shocks didn't even hold up in a office environment.

danpass
08-24-13, 08:51
http://www.danpassaro.com/img/s11/v34/p1052871267-4.jpg

Line Rider
08-25-13, 09:21
Years ago I found a G Shock in the local mall parking that had been run over. The face was crushed but the LED read out was still functioning and the time was correct.

Replicant
10-04-13, 13:24
I have thin wrists, so I'm looking for a more basic and low profile G-shock. So far the DW5600E-1V stands out to me as being streamlined (I believe it's the one shown a few posts up). Are there any other models you can recommend?