PDA

View Full Version : Glue for tango down + surefire switch?

Kiwi
05-06-12, 05:29
Hey guys, I'm trying to glue a surefire rubber switch onto a tango down SCAR Panel, have already tried gorilla glue but it just came right off. Can anyone help?

Ps. I realize that they make a panel with pocket for SF switches but it's not located at the right position for my liking.

Thx heaps!

Todd.K
05-06-12, 10:50
Try the Right Stuff. It's rubber and will flex without letting go like RTV.
http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.htm

Rough up the surface with sandpaper, then thoroughly degrease. Surface prep is going to be key for adhesion.

If it was me I'd just try some heavy duty double sided tape, so you don't have to replace the panel when the switch needs to be replaced.

Iraqgunz
05-06-12, 14:51
I use a Tango Down stubby as well. What I found works was to degrease the grip, use some good velcro and then attach the switch. I then use a small zip tie and zip tie the switch to the grip. I have yet to have it works loose and it's been there for 18 months.

trinydex
05-06-12, 17:19
^picture?

RD62
05-06-12, 19:02
I use a Tango Down stubby as well. What I found works was to degrease the grip, use some good velcro and then attach the switch. I then use a small zip tie and zip tie the switch to the grip. I have yet to have it works loose and it's been there for 18 months.

Gunz, FYI... he said TD Scar panel.

Kiwi
05-06-12, 19:24
Try the Right Stuff. It's rubber and will flex without letting go like RTV.
http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.htm

Rough up the surface with sandpaper, then thoroughly degrease. Surface prep is going to be key for adhesion.

If it was me I'd just try some heavy duty double sided tape, so you don't have to replace the panel when the switch needs to be replaced.

Hey Todd, thx for the tip. Now the SCAR panel already have a pretty rough surface, do I still need to sand it down to get the raw material to contact the glue or woud it be better off letting the adhesive to bond it directly to the texture that the panel already got? Of course after cleaning them with alcohol wipe or some sort.

Thanks!

Iraqgunz
05-07-12, 03:13
Ooops. My bad. :nono:

Gunz, FYI... he said TD Scar panel.

ScottsBad
05-10-12, 15:22
Use E-6000 - I swear by it. It is the toughest most universal adhesive I have ever used. I am an adhesives freak, and I've just about thown away all the other stuff I used to use. RTV silicon, epoxy, Loctite polyeurathane construction adhesive, and the cyanoacrylates (super glue) are what I keep around now as E-6000 has replaced everything else.

Here is a data sheet (it also comes in black):
http://www.fdjtool.com/downloads/instructions/ce6000.pdf

It is available all over the net and at some stores.

Kiwi
05-10-12, 17:33
Cool Scott, thx for the tip, will try it out tonight!

4thPointOfContact
05-10-12, 17:51
Always rough up the surface, even if it has dimples, engraving, molding, stippling, tippling or rippling. The outer surface of plastic forms a skin as it forms in the mold, this is what stops most adhesives.

Kiwi
05-10-12, 18:28
Will rough up the surface and use E6000 tonight. Thanks again guys :)

ucrt
05-10-12, 22:07
Use E-6000 - I swear by it. ...
...It is available all over the net and at some stores.

=======================================

The Wal-Marts around here have it in their Craft Dept. for about $3. Fantastic glue and surface prep is 90% of the job.