PDA

View Full Version : Basic AR training in MN

Bigkrackers
05-06-12, 17:55
Just took a basic AR class from Timm Training, sponsered by Huldra Arms. Dave Timm is a great guy to learn from. This is a good intro to the AR platform; from learning the components and history of the AR to breaking one down and cleaning it, Dave goes through it all. He brings lots of ARs and accessories for show and tell.

Even though Dave is partial to piston ARs and to Huldra there is no sales pitch and he gives a fair, no B.S.,assessment to both DI and piston systems.

The range time is great with some good drills on shooting fundamentals; standing, kneeling, prone and transitioning. Dave even broke out the timer for some competitive style drills that added some light stress to the mix.

All-in-all, a good class to take if you are thinking about getting an AR or already have an AR but are new to the platform.a

Dave-HuldraArms
05-07-12, 02:30
Thanks for the feedback, glad you were able to make it. I think we figured out, were you tied for the high milage award?

Dave

Bigkrackers
05-07-12, 18:37
Yes. And I had the pleasure of driving through that nice little storm cell on the way home. Enjoyed the class and will recommend it to others.

Thanks again Dave.

BravoHotel
09-02-12, 22:35
Looking for an AR course maybe one more level in advancement from what this one sounded to be. I've been shooting ARs for a while recreationally and know how to maintain them but I'm looking to gain some tactiacl proficiency and skills.

Any suggestions for a AR course in MN or even western WI?

Hmac
09-03-12, 08:21
I don't know all the details, but there are likely to be more training courses at different levels from Timm Training once the 50-yard indoor range at the Baxter Fleet Farm is completed in November.

Time is getting short, but Dave is sponsoring Jeff Gonzales teaching a Combative Carbine 2 course in Brainerd (http://tridentconcepts.com/shop/combative-carbine-level-2-3/) later this month. The dates recently changed, but it looks like it's going to be September 28-30. I took it last year. This is an excellent course.

There are courses around the Twin Cities...I know little about them, but I hear good things about Sealed Mindset (http://www.sealedmindset.com).

Especially if the Brainerd area is more conventient to you, I'd recommend contacting Dave, either by PM or via Contact Us at his website Timm Training (http://timmtraining.com/home/welcome.html).

BravoHotel
09-03-12, 11:11
Thanks, Hmac. I'll be sure to look into those options.

Dave-HuldraArms
09-13-12, 14:09
Bravo,

Hmac was correct, we are hosting Jeff again this year for combative carbine 2. More info here:
http://tridentconcepts.com/shop/combative-carbine-level-2-3/

Let me know if you have any questions.
Email me or PM me.

Thanks!
Dave

Dave-HuldraArms
09-19-12, 21:57
TriCon class is full. Thanks guys!

BravoHotel
09-19-12, 22:16
Congrats. I'd be interested in a Combat Carbine 1 when it's offered. I have no "official" carbine training so I should probably start there.

Huldra128
12-21-12, 08:56
BravoHotel,

Glad to see that you are interested in our training. Might I suggest going through one of our basic carbine courses when the new Mills Shooting range opens. Tricon will be back next year but for a pistol course. Hope to see down the road sometime.

Mike

Hmac
12-21-12, 10:09
BravoHotel,

Glad to see that you are interested in our training. Might I suggest going through one of our basic carbine courses when the new Mills Shooting range opens. Tricon will be back next year but for a pistol course. Hope to see down the road sometime.

Mike
Any word on the carbine course Mike? Louis or Jason?

BravoHotel
12-21-12, 11:49
Good to know. Curious where this particular MF shooting range is opening since there are multiple locations.

I'm always looking to train more so I'll be keeping an ear open for details on the Tricon pistol course next year as well.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Hmac
12-21-12, 12:15
Good to know. Curious where this particular MF shooting range is opening since there are multiple locations.

Right across the street from Fleet Farm in Baxter, MN.

http://www.facebook.com/millsshooting

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/18309_432918016774424_844804376_n.jpg

Stewart Mills firing the inaugural shot yesterday.

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/622344_450264765039749_1091777711_o.jpg

BravoHotel
12-21-12, 15:12
Very cool! Even cooler...my grandparents and aunt and uncle live in Baxter so I have free room and board already lined up. :p

Huldra128
12-23-12, 09:29
Any word on the carbine course Mike? Louis or Jason?

Louis will be here in August for the shotgun course. I don't think I'll be able to swing Jason as it is going to be around $650 per person but Dave and I are thinking of putting one on. I received an email from Tricon and we are looking at the end of August for the pistol course.

I'll keep you posted.

Hmac
12-23-12, 09:39
Louis will be here in August for the shotgun course. I don't think I'll be able to swing Jason as it is going to be around $650 per person but Dave and I are thinking of putting one on. I received an email from Tricon and we are looking at the end of August for the pistol course.

I'll keep you posted.

I'd rather take a carbine course from you and Dave than Jason Falla any day, Mike. :)

I'll have to look up AAR's on TriCon's pistol courses. In the meantime, Mark and Tim want to do that shotgun course in the worst way.

Hmac
12-28-12, 07:58
Mike, do you anticpate that the TriCon pistol course will be CP1 or CP2?

I note that CP2 is 2000 rounds. Price and availability of ammo may have some practical effects on peoples' ability to pull that off.

Dave-HuldraArms
12-28-12, 16:59
Hmac,

Mike and I are going to meet really soon to finalize some details but it looks like shotgun is a go. We will get round count and information up ASAP on the web site so you can start saving ammo now. I think pistol would prob be pistol 1 but who knows we may get him to customize something as well. This year year is going to be a tough training year due to ammo.

Also, hearing your support and interest to take a rifle class from us is a HUGE compliment and it really means a lot to me. We have some ideas and it will probably be a reality for our first carbine class outside of the basic one we currently offer. This would fall in line more with other carbine schools, 2 day and have more shooting drills and range time then the basic class which is just that, the basics.

And on top of that Mike and I are working on developing the new classes for Mills range that will be 2-4 hours in length per class for those wanting to split up training and then can decide how long they want to continue. Similar to the IDS series that you've taken Hmac but we will also branch out to basics, women's only classes, rifle, and then we are hoping others will join us for in home defense classes and similar as well. Don't worry it won't just be the Mike and Dave show :D

Thanks, Dave

BravoHotel
02-15-13, 12:13
I see the TriCon even this Auguest will be CP2. Not sure about others, but I was hoping for CP1.

Has anyone heard any talk about a carbine 1 or pistol 1 course scheduled for 2013 around these parts?

Dave-HuldraArms
02-15-13, 12:24
Hey Bravo,
Mike and I will be offering a 2 day carbine 1 course this summer. We are teaching this on our own but we are really excited to offer this and think it will be a great course. We also have some stuff that I have not seen in any other carbine courses as well as moving target drills. We may possibly offer a pistol course as well. Please shoot me a PM and I'd be more then happy to make sure you are on the email list. Also we will be offering some pistol courses as well. Don't let CP2 intimidate you, if you can handle a pistol safely and have a solid grasp of the fundamentals you would be fine. I would be more then happy to help with training before if you'd be interested.

Thanks
Dave

BravoHotel
02-15-13, 12:47
Hey Bravo,
Mike and I will be offering a 2 day carbine 1 course this summer. We are teaching this on our own but we are really excited to offer this and think it will be a great course. We also have some stuff that I have not seen in any other carbine courses as well as moving target drills. We may possibly offer a pistol course as well. Please shoot me a PM and I'd be more then happy to make sure you are on the email list. Also we will be offering some pistol courses as well. Don't let CP2 intimidate you, if you can handle a pistol safely and have a solid grasp of the fundamentals you would be fine. I would be more then happy to help with training before if you'd be interested.

Thanks
Dave
Thanks, Dave. I have solid pistol skills (been shooting many years) but no official "level 1" course from anywhere/anyone so I thought that would automatically rule me out of CP2.

PM inbound on your carbine and pistol courses. I'd like to be sure I end up on that mail list.

BH

Hmac
02-15-13, 13:10
PM inbound on your carbine and pistol courses. I'd like to be sure I end up on that mail list.

BH

Please don't shoot the RC target truck ;)

Dave and Mike teach an excellent course.

BravoHotel
02-15-13, 14:26
"Wait...what...someone shot up the RC truck?!?" :secret: