PDA

View Full Version : Cheek Pad for Hunting Rifle

Redhat
05-06-12, 19:20
I am in need of a cheek pad for my CZ 550 bolt rifle. The stock is a bit too low for me to get a tight cheek weld when my eye is aligned with the scope. I wind up lifting my cheek off the stock in order to see through my Leupold 3x9x40 scope.

I have looked at TACOPS and Eagle but they don't mention how much rise they add to the comb.

Any help appreciated.

Warg
05-06-12, 23:35
Might sound a bit crude, but for the stocks I don't want to modify. I simply use a Triad stock pack (http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pad.html)with a piece of foam underneath. The pack adds 3/8" by itself.

Redhat
05-07-12, 18:59
Thanks,

That looks similar to the others I have been researching. I don't much care if it's crude as long as it is functional.

Pappabear
05-11-12, 07:53
I run them on my hunting guns. Most need it. The Triad is good. Blackhawk makes one but it's "pleather". Feels a little funky but it's cheap and works.

Google shooters pack. Or just buy the Triad

CharlieKilo98
05-11-12, 17:57
Can you fit shorter rings?

BIGUGLY
05-11-12, 18:05
The eagle does not add a whole lot, I needed just about a inch and got it with one. Plus with the way its made you can tighten it down and maybe adjust the height doing this. Also with the soft part against you cheek you can lower your head and still maintain a good weld.

Redhat
05-11-12, 18:42
Can you fit shorter rings?

Nope, the scope is as low as it can go.

zombie killer
05-31-12, 17:56
I found a cheap solution at Bass Pro Shops. It's a neoprene band that you can stack multiple pre cut pieces of foam for just the right height. It's a cheaper alternative but works for me.

Redhat
05-31-12, 18:39
Thanks, I'll look into that.

readyme
06-03-12, 18:47
Keep us updated.
I just got a Remington 700 that also needs about about 1/2" riser.

Pappabear
06-03-12, 23:20
If you want a good permanent solution. Karsten makes and adjustable plastic cheek riser, (like you see on the long range Savage guns- I just said the S word) and they are very nice. If your stock has a Monte Carlo cheek rest built into it, not so good.

You have to drill two holes in your stock, but they are good. And are permanent and don't break down.

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Karsten-s-Custom-Cheek-Rest-A-Model.html

gunnut284
06-16-12, 22:58
I have both the Eagle and the Blackhawk versions and actually prefer the Blackhawk. You can always add some foam underneath to raise it what you need. I have also seen some that are leather that might be more suited to a traditional wood stocked hunting gun.

donwalk
07-26-12, 12:06
if the wood of your CZ stock is as good as mine, you probably don't want to mess with it on a permanent basis.

i have used an old plastic, plant pot*. heated with a heat gun and shaped to the stock itself, after cutting the basic shape i want, punch holes along the bottom of each side, then fill the void between the stock and the cheek piece/riser with whatever, to reach the height desired, and cinch it down very tightly.

*i've used the one and two gallon ones but prefer the two gallon as they are thicker and create a more stable, stronger, reliable, durable addition.

basic shape can be done using tin snips or sheet metal snips and you can use rough sandpaper to finish the surface to make it 'non-slip' to your satisfaction

in the end, it's "Form fitted" and can be cinched very securely but it will require occasional 're-adjustment'.