PDA

View Full Version : My First Rifle

North
05-06-12, 21:16
This is my first rifle ever, as well as my first build.
DPMS Lower
DPMS LPK
Magpul ACS
Magpul BAD Lever
Magpul MOE grip
Magpul MBUS gen 2 (front/rear)
Magpul MS3 Sling
Magpul ASAP
Magpul RSA
Vltor MUR1 Upper
Vltor BCM Charging Handle Mod 4
Vltor Low Profile Gas Block
Troy TRX Battlerail
Battlecomp 1.5
AR15 Performance 14.5 Socom 1/8 barrel w/ Bolt
Primary Weapon System Bolt Carrier
Milspec buffer tube
H Buffer
Carbine Spring
Aimpoint PRO
Surefire Classic until I can afford a brighter, nicer model.
10 Magpul Pmags (more to come!)

I'm now buying as much ammo as possible and gather money to train with it. Thanks to local LEO's and M4C for the help!

wahoo95
05-06-12, 21:23
I've been considering an ARP barrel for an upcoming build. Keep us posted on your results with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Iraqgunz
05-07-12, 02:27
Would you please elaborate on your choices and why you chose the parts that you did?

North
05-07-12, 08:58
Would you please elaborate on your choices and why you chose the parts that you did?

No problem sir:
DPMS Gear- bought at a gun show and it was the beginning of my purchases. The trigger from the LPK does suck but for now it works. After I train and get more experience, I will like to build a different lower for the upper.

Magpul Gear- Best gear you can purchase for your rifle from everything I know and have learned. The company does put a lot of thought and work into their designs and products.

Vltor Products- Everything they make is well built, and I have never seen 1 online review about their products failing.

Troy TRX- lightweight, very nice flattop, and since the AR platform is front heavy I decided to go with it.

Battlecomp 1.5- legal issues from cutting the barrel down. And from what I know it is the best of the best.

AR15 Performance 14.5 Socom 1/8 barrel w/ Bolt- This was offered at the time as a combo buy. The barrel was a 16" 5.56 and I wanted a 14.5" rifle with a 1.5" welded compensator. I picked up the barrel, bolt, gas tube, and bolt carrier group kit for $300 total.

Primary Weapon System Bolt Carrier- Works and does the job, especially for $80-$90.

Aimpoint PRO- I got this on sale over the weekend for $387 total. I liked it and it is basically a Aimpoint Comp M3.

Surefire Classic- I paid $3 for batteries and the light was free. It does the job until I buy a new light weight one.

10 Magpul Pmags- bought in bulk, and after watching videos of our military running over them with tanks andstill functioning, it is hard not to buy them. I think if you have a gun and none of your magazines are loaded then you really just have a expensive paper weight.

Now to tell you why I started this build. Last year I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Testicular Cancer. I spent 4-5 hours 5 days straight (1 week per month) getting treatments so I had plenty of time to search what to buy, and the history of the M4. I was very sick and a friend (LEO) had gotten onto me for the past few months prior to being diagnosed about not having a rifle. I believe in the sthf/natural disaster stuff so not having a rifle is not an option. Also really want to become a police officer so I figured while building a rifle would be good for home defense, it would also be good for me to train with.

For anyone that is interested. The pistol is a Gen4 Glock 19 with a ghost 3.5 connector. All the magazines are Glock Factory.

skywalkrNCSU
05-07-12, 11:45
Good looking gun, much better build than my first one (current is looking pretty similar)

North
05-20-12, 02:09
Went to a local indoor range called Target Masters tonight and got it zero'd in at 50yrds. Actually got a 2" group with it but as my skills evolve, the groupings will become tighter. I'll post some pictures up tomorrow evening of the grouping and the battlecomp in action.