PDA

View Full Version : Another Colt or BCM thread

wipate
05-07-12, 07:01
Hey guys,

Another new guy here and I'm looking at getting my first AR. I've done research and read tons over the last 6 months while I've been saving up. I'm looking to order from Grant at GandRTactical. My question is should I get a Colt LE6920MP which is in stock now or spend a little more and spec out a BCM BFH LW midlength as the components become available (BCM lowers are out of stock)?

The difference would only be $100-$150 but that would go a long ways in ammo.

I'm flip flopping back and forth and really don't know what to do at this point. Just curious what you guys think.

Thank you.

rob_s
05-07-12, 07:08
I'm a little concerned with "spec out" when it comes to a first AR. How do you know the difference between what you want and what you need?

I don't think anyone would be surprised to see me recommend the Colt. However, if you just want a longer handguard and "spec out" the BCM means getting it set up in a basic configuration with MOE furniture, then I'd go with the BCM.

However, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If you can get the Colt now, I'd get the Colt now.

djmorris
05-07-12, 07:09
If you want to buy a complete rifle get the Colt 6920. If you want a specific setup then go BCM. That's really all there is to it because neither is really better quality than the other. In fact, BCM probably has the upper hand as far as customer service goes.

Shiz
05-07-12, 07:11
Either way you can't go wrong. I am a fan of the "middy" gas system, so I chose BCM, many times. I also cheated and got myself some spikes, and surplus arms lowers here locally to put the BCM uppers onto.

Watrdawg
05-07-12, 07:13
I have a BCM upper sitting on a LMT lower. Is it better than the Colt. Who knows. Saying all of that I agree with what Rob said. If you can get the Colt now go ahead and then put the rest of the money into ammo. You can't go wrong either way so why wait?

wipate
05-07-12, 07:19
Guess I should have been a little more specific. By spec out I just meant get upper and lower seperate and then buy all the Magpul furniture to put on the BCM. They would be set up almost identical as far as furniture goes. The Colt just comes standard with it all.

I'm sure I would be happy either way and that I am overthinking things. My two biggest concerns are:

1. Mid-length vs carbine: I'm a tall guy and think I would benefit from the extra real estate of the midlength but not having experience I really don't know how much of a difference it would make if any.

2. M4 vs lightweight barrel: I like the idea of a getting the lightest set up I can. The Colt website lists the 6920 at 6.8lbs. That seems to be fairly light from what I've read and I honestly have no clue what the weight would be on an equivalent 16" lightweight BCM to compare.

Clem
05-07-12, 07:33
Grant does have the A2 lowers in stock.
In both blem and non-blem.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-A2&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dbcm%26searchstart%3D18%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-A2C&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dbcm%26searchstart%3D18%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

rob_s
05-07-12, 07:50
Guess I should have been a little more specific. By spec out I just meant get upper and lower seperate and then buy all the Magpul furniture to put on the BCM. They would be set up almost identical as far as furniture goes. The Colt just comes standard with it all.
good plan

I'm sure I would be happy either way and that I am overthinking things. My two biggest concerns are:

1. Mid-length vs carbine: I'm a tall guy and think I would benefit from the extra real estate of the midlength but not having experience I really don't know how much of a difference it would make if any.
Something to consider....

IME, when I decide I want more length to a handguard, I REALLY want more length. That means 10.0 or longer, which is also longer than the mid-length. And if you shave the FSB and install a Brazilian (smooth sides & bottom) rail over it you'll be LIGHTER than the MOE or M4 handguards too.

2. M4 vs lightweight barrel: I like the idea of a getting the lightest set up I can. The Colt website lists the 6920 at 6.8lbs. That seems to be fairly light from what I've read and I honestly have no clue what the weight would be on an equivalent 16" lightweight BCM to compare.

I am a huge fan of lightweight. Going from M4 to lightweight you're going to save ~5 oz. on the Colts (6920 vs. 6720). The BCM difference will be even less. But that weight savings is at the muzzle end so you feel it more than you'd think, and it affects your target transitions more than you'd think.

Have you considered the 6720 and see if Grant can change out the furniture for you to the MOE? Or just deal with the Rogers stock and M4 handguards until you get some rounds downrange and exposure to some other setups?

My suggestion for a new shooter would be to buy the 6720 as-is and try to get a better rear sight (last time I checked it was coming with a rear sight that doesn't lock in the up position) if you're going to shoot irons or go ahead and by the Aimpoint PRO with the gun. Get a better sling like the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling or the Viking Tactics. Then go get into a class. Vickers Shooting Method, Randy Cain Carbine 1, whatever. You want to get into an entry-level course as quickly as possible before you start teaching yourself bad habits.

I suspect that what you'll find after one class is that:
1) The A2 pistol grip blows chunks
2) You want a longer, free-float, handguard of some sort, making the mid-length gas system irrelevant

The reason you don't jump the gun on these is that you'll get a chance to see a variety of handguards and grips in the class and then you'll know more after three days than some guys who only ever "research" on the internet for months. I do, however, suggest a Gapper or a foam earplug to fill in the gap on the A2 grip, your right social finger will thank you.

wipate
05-07-12, 07:50
I don't like the A2 stocks. Would I be able to put on a Magpul MOE or CTR stock on an A2 lower?

wipate
05-07-12, 07:55
I've looked into the 6720 too. I steered away from it since it would cost about the same as the BCM once I got all the Magpul furniture. Never thought to see if I could work out a deal with Grant. Also the 6720 is showing as out of stock so that goes back to the order now or wait for them to come back in stock.

Clem
05-07-12, 08:14
You would need to switch out the receiver extension, buffer, and buffer spring to accommodate and MOE or CTR stock.
You could ask Grant to see if he could help you out with that.
I suggested those since they were in stock.
And switching from A2 to an MOE/CTR is fairly simple.

I don't like the A2 stocks. Would I be able to put on a Magpul MOE or CTR stock on an A2 lower?

Texas
05-07-12, 08:38
BCM has their lowers instock and you can order direct from them. I just received mine from them a couple weeks ago. I had the same problem with everyone else being out of stock on their lowers.

Spiffums
05-07-12, 08:51
If you want a pretty stock M4 get a Colt from Grant or even Wal-mart as all the Colts are pretty much the same.

If you want a rail, different muzzle device or something along that lines order a BCM how you want it.

duece71
05-07-12, 09:09
Buy the Colt now and be done with it.

cagusmc
05-07-12, 09:21
Can't go wrong with Colt. I have 3 now and would buy another if the opportunity arises.

Kokopelli
05-07-12, 09:43
Well, if you can get a Colt (in-stock) you can always order a BCM upper and switch things around. I have a Colt MT6700 HBAR because it was the only 20" range rifle I could locate and when I started lusting over the BCM mid-length, I thought why now.. Options are only limited by availability really.. Ron

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/DSC08294.jpg

MEGA-M4
05-07-12, 09:48
I love my LE 6920, get one!

wipate
05-07-12, 09:51
Is the 6920MP considered heavy at 6.8lbs? I know it is a M4 profile barrel and not heavy profile but does anyone that has one think it is overly heavy for its purpose. I'm just brainstorming, if I put an Aimpoint PRO on at ~12oz and then a quad rail (possibly a Centurion C4 12.0 FSP that rob_s recommended) at another ~4-5oz over the MOE handguard I'd be sitting just under 8lbs. Once I load up that would add another ~1lb so sitting there ready to rock and roll would be about 9lbs. Am I going to be hating myself for not going lightweight or is 9lbs fully loaded an acceptable number?

I know, I know... I'm overthinking things. In my head I know I should just get the Colt. I've just been researching so long saving up some funds that now that its time to buy for some reason I can't just pull the trigger.

Thanks again for all your help guys, it's greatly appreciated.

rob_s
05-07-12, 09:58
You are over-thinking things. Get the Colt as it is what's in-stock. Worry about the rest later. I can't remember if the 6920 MOE comes with a carry handle or a MBUS rear sight? If the MBUS I think that product is unsat as a standalone and you'll want something else.

You are going to wind up with another gun if you get even remotely serious about this. Learn on the 6920, make small changes, use what you learn on carbine #2 when you're ready.

djmorris
05-07-12, 09:59
6.8 lbs is not heavy at all, especially since you may be saving a little weight if you replace the MOE hand guards. I saved a couple of oz's by switching from the MOE hand guards to my Troy Alpha Rail. Obviously the length/size of the rail (and quality) plays a big part in this. 6.8lbs is very nice and less than most AR's out there.

Just get BCM or Colt and you're good to go in every aspect. They are basically equal although BCM has the slight edge for customer service and configurations. Either are great and the weight is not an issue when you're buying quality parts generally. You're over thinking this, IMO.

trlcavscout
05-07-12, 11:28
The BCM 14.5" middy lightweight is my favorite all around, for classes/range etc. I bought a Noveske 14.5" middy but i want to replace it with another BCM. I had a Colt 6920 but didnt like the 16" carbine.

I would shoot a few and decide on what you like and buy that instead of wasteing money on something you dont like.

Brahmzy
05-07-12, 11:36
+1 for middy 14.5's. Softer shooters than a carbine and handier than a 16".

polymorpheous
05-07-12, 12:27
Has everyone overlooked the fact that his choices are a button rifled carbine length barrel or a hammer forged mid-length barrel?

ucrt
05-07-12, 13:11
Is the 6920MP considered heavy at 6.8lbs? I know it is a M4 profile barrel and not heavy profile but does anyone that has one think it is overly heavy for its purpose. I'm just brainstorming, if I put an Aimpoint PRO on at ~12oz and then a quad rail (possibly a Centurion C4 12.0 FSP that rob_s recommended) at another ~4-5oz over the MOE handguard I'd be sitting just under 8lbs. Once I load up that would add another ~1lb so sitting there ready to rock and roll would be about 9lbs. Am I going to be hating myself for not going lightweight or is 9lbs fully loaded an acceptable number?

I know, I know... I'm overthinking things. In my head I know I should just get the Colt. I've just been researching so long saving up some funds that now that its time to buy for some reason I can't just pull the trigger.

Thanks again for all your help guys, it's greatly appreciated.

=========================================

If you're wanting to save a little more weight, the Aimpoint T-1 is about 8 oz lighter than the PRO.

If you pickup a Troy rear sight, you'll probably save a little weight getting rid of the Carry Handle. With an Aimpoint on it, a rear sight will be for backup use. So, a MagPul rear sight (or the Troy) will be fine as a backup...as Rob mentioned.

As far as furniture, at the most, add a MOE HG, it gives you a tad more usable length and not much, if any, weight increase. Don't forget a VCAS or VTAC sling. They weigh about 3 pounds a piece....just joking. ;)

Unless you're a weakling like my BIL, the 6920 will be plenty light enough.

But maybe it's just me...

rob_s
05-07-12, 13:59
Jesus christ, we're well on our way to this going full-retard.

Get the Colt. Don't get distracted with all this 14.5", mid-length, hammer forged, go to the gym, internet bullshit.

Brahmzy
05-07-12, 14:04

Get the Colt. Don't get distracted with all this 14.5", mid-length, hammer forged, go to the gym, internet bullshit.

LOL!!!

tbirk
05-07-12, 14:14

I'll second that!

kwelz
05-07-12, 14:52
I know I am going to regret this.... But here goes...

You don't know what you don't know. This isn't an insult, you are new to ARs. We have all been there. Hell I am still there in a lot of way.

But I see you are falling into the same trap many of us did. I call it the Ohhh Shiny trap. You see people with a lot more experience talk about various configurations and you want it. But that isn't a good idea. Because what works for them may not work for you. Yes you want to keep their advice in mind. They are SME, Mods, trainers, etc for a reason. But you won't know what works for you till you have some hands on experience.

So instead of buying this or that, buy the baseline and work from there. And the baseline in this case is a Colt 6920. If you got a complete BCM or DD, or LMT instead than great. Those guns are all about the same quality.

But the fact is that you as a shooter starting with ARs are not going to tell the difference between a middy and a carbine Gas system. You are not going to know what rail works for you, or if you want a larger FoV on your optic, etc.

So get the basic Carbine, fondle that bitch like you are out after prom. Shoulder it, dryfire it, Take it to the range and put a case of ammo through it. Take even a basic 1 day class. Then start adding things or taking them away. Change out the grip or buttstock. Add a longer rail that suits your needs.
You will want to do that down the road. And it is a pain in the ass to do with a pinned FH on a 14.5 inch gun.

But don't make those changes because I, or anyone else told you too. Do it because you took the advice, added it to your hands on experience, and then figured out what is best for you.

I can spec out a gun for my needs. Plan it. Buy the parts and build it, and then not have to touch it. I can do that because I have done a lot of shooting in the last couple years. But even then I am still learning and may have to change my way of thinking at times.

Kokopelli
05-07-12, 16:40
hahahahaha.. I like the direction of this thread.. It reminds me of the first "high priced" 1911.. :D:D Cheers.. Ron

!Nvasi0n
05-07-12, 17:10
If you want a pretty stock M4 get a Colt from Grant or even Wal-mart as all the Colts are pretty much the same.

If you want a rail, different muzzle device or something along that lines order a BCM how you want it.

Wow! Awesome advice...screw the small guy/site sponsor and buy Walmart? Seriously dude, WTF...I think he obviously has grant in mind. Screw Walmart! I'll always support the little man when it comes to gear.

Solid advice on the 6920 though. I personally would always take the least expensive model and use the extra money on ~500 rounds of ammo

Sorry to jump your case man, but seriously Grant is a solid dude here....and sponsors the site your posting on. Think about it

Mike from Texas
05-07-12, 20:40
Get the 6920. You can always change out to a Troy (or other) for more rail length.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k493/Mike-from-Texas/Inventory%208-2011/cdbb9ad0.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k493/Mike-from-Texas/Inventory%208-2011/702b690f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

feedramp
05-07-12, 20:54
Wow! Awesome advice...screw the small guy/site sponsor and buy Walmart? Seriously dude, WTF...I think he obviously has grant in mind.

wtf, how do you get that out of what he wrote? He recommended Grant up front.

bear22
05-07-12, 21:33
Grant what is your price on the 6920?

Do you have the 6720 in stock? If so, price?

Bear

eo500
05-07-12, 21:37
I have two 16" BCM lightweight mid-lengths, everyone who shoots them loves them. They can't believe how smooth they feel compared to their carbines (LMT, Colt, S&W). That being said, I don't think they are going to run out and trade their carbines for middys, but if they were buying it new, they'd probably lean towards the BCM.
Whichever you choose, you'll have a quality firearm that should serve you very well for a long time.

Cameron
05-07-12, 21:46
No contest. Bravo Co mid length over the Colt.

Pros for the BCM: Hammer forged, light weight, mid length gas.

BCM is showing blem lowers in stock here (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Lower-Receiver-Groups-M4-AR15-s/156.htm).

Better product, better customer service, and BCM is a forum supporter, and Bravo Company is owned by an actual person, Paul who posts here!

BCM FTW!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7273/7103251421_e649accf7d_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8012/7104512257_c403c53c47_b.jpg

NWPD122
05-08-12, 00:06
Can't go wrong with either Colt or BCM. Go shoot both and see what you like. I went with a 6920 for duty use and have no regrets - great weapon. Here's my LE6920....

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae114/PrimeTarget122/ColtLE6920.png

wipate
05-08-12, 11:30
Just placed my order with Grant for the 6920 and an Aimpoint PRO. Thanks to everyone who posted for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Not to start another debate but now I need some sling suggestions. I was going to go with the Magpul MS3 but heard enough negative comments to pass. I'm looking at the VCAS that some of you have recommended. Padded, unpadded? I was looking at IWC and they carry them, looks like it doesn't come with the QD swivel so I'd have to add those on plus the attachment for the MOE handguard. Correct? I also added the Noveske QD endpoint to my order with Grant so I have the option to try out 1 and 2 point configurations to see what I like best.

Thanks again guys. I can finally stop stressing and just look forward to receiving my new toy. :)

Sry0fcr
05-08-12, 12:22
I'd get the Colt if for no other reason than it's available now and priced right. Plus personally I'd skip the middy unless you're going to be shooting 5.56 NATO pressure ammo the overwhelming majority of the time.

Cameron
05-08-12, 12:43
Plus personally I'd skip the middy unless you're going to be shooting 5.56 NATO pressure ammo the overwhelming majority of the time.

I have a DD 16" mid length and a BCM 14.5" mid length and shoot predominantly .223 commercial ammo. I have had zero problems.

Cameron

NWPD122
05-09-12, 00:09
Just placed my order with Grant for the 6920 and an Aimpoint PRO. Thanks to everyone who posted for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Not to start another debate but now I need some sling suggestions. I was going to go with the Magpul MS3 but heard enough negative comments to pass. I'm looking at the VCAS that some of you have recommended. Padded, unpadded? I was looking at IWC and they carry them, looks like it doesn't come with the QD swivel so I'd have to add those on plus the attachment for the MOE handguard. Correct? I also added the Noveske QD endpoint to my order with Grant so I have the option to try out 1 and 2 point configurations to see what I like best.

Thanks again guys. I can finally stop stressing and just look forward to receiving my new toy. :)

6920 and PRO are a great setup. Same setup as mine(posted above). I just added the Troy DOA BUIS. Another great piece.

jhs1969
05-09-12, 00:57

I have both a VCAS sling and a Viking MK2 padded sling. I recommend a padded sling, and I prefer the Viking to the VCAS. I have a feeling most would recommend the VCAS but after using both, again, I like the Viking. You can try a single point sling if you like but I think you'll find it sucks. At least that's my opinion on single points.

SteadyUp
05-09-12, 10:42
Grant what is your price on the 6920?

Do you have the 6720 in stock? If so, price?

Bear

You could actually go to his website (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home) and look...

6920 (which is in stock): http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

6720 (not in stock): http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

bear22
05-09-12, 13:53
You could actually go to his website (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home) and look...

6920 (which is in stock): http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

6720 (not in stock): http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

Yup, thanks Steadyup, that's what I ended up doing. I didn't look at his signature originally but I found it lower. Forgot to circle back here and edit my post.

Thanks for going throught the trouble to pull this information.

Shiz
05-09-12, 14:24
LOL he bought the 6920. If you scroll past the latest suggestions, you will see this...

bear22
05-09-12, 15:33
LOL he bought the 6920. If you scroll past the latest suggestions, you will see this...

Why is that funny? I must be missing something, I thought his choice was solid?

I'm currently debating between Colt and BCM, standard or LW 16" ... if it's laughable that he got the 6920 maybe I should reconsider my options?

Cameron
05-09-12, 16:40
Why is that funny?

I think he means it is funny because people keep giving advice after he has already placed an order. Not funny because he bought the wrong carbine.

Cameron

wipate
05-09-12, 18:32
6920 and PRO are a great setup. Same setup as mine(posted above). I just added the Troy DOA BUIS. Another great piece.

NWPD122,

It was your picture that sealed the deal for me. Such a great looking setup, can't wait to get mine. Is that a TLR-1? How do you have that mounted?

SteadyUp
05-09-12, 22:11
Yup, thanks Steadyup, that's what I ended up doing. I didn't look at his signature originally but I found it lower. Forgot to circle back here and edit my post.

Thanks for going throught the trouble to pull this information.

No problem, you're welcome.

bear22
05-09-12, 22:36
No problem, you're welcome.

I see you are in Pittsburgh. I lived in Oakland for a while and then the southside. Are you downtown or in the burbs? Great town!

SteveS
05-15-12, 19:01
Colt or BCM they are both good to go . The Colt has a nicer name I would guess for resale.

badness
05-15-12, 19:05
why would you necro this thread? He's already purchased the rifle.