PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight profile barrel and suppressor use.

Mikey
05-07-12, 08:03
Are there any issues with running a lightweight profile barrel with a suppressor?

Mike

QuietShootr
05-07-12, 08:05
Are there any issues with running a lightweight profile barrel with a suppressor?

Mike

Usually, a light barrel gives you a much larger POI change from unsuppressed to suppressed.

yellowfin
05-07-12, 08:07
But once it's on there, is it as consistent? Also are there any issues with increased heating?

QuietShootr
05-07-12, 08:13
But once it's on there, is it as consistent? Also are there any issues with increased heating?

In my experience (note, others may vary) a truly light barrel like an original Colt or BCM pencil barrel is not a good choice for a suppressor because of the large poi change and decreased accuracy with a suppressor mounted. Heat could be an issue more quickly as well. To my way of thinking the ideal profile for a can for most use is the contour that LMT uses on its 10.5" barrels. It's not an HBAR, but it's heavier than standard.

Mikey
05-07-12, 08:20
Any issues with barrel whip and increased likelihood of baffle strikes?

QuietShootr
05-07-12, 08:28
Any issues with barrel whip and increased likelihood of baffle strikes?

Think about that, and use a piece of paper if you need to. Come back with your answer, and explain how you got there. This will be a good exercise.

rob_s
05-07-12, 08:49
Once the can is on, or if it's a dedicated solution, I think it's a non-issue.

I was going to link to a comparison I did with a 6933 and Ops 15th but am having technology problems.

AR15barrels
05-07-12, 11:26
Think about that, and use a piece of paper if you need to. Come back with your answer, and explain how you got there. This will be a good exercise.

Wait, you mean the can whips with the barrel?
I thought the barrel just whipped around and the can sat still.
If I use a light enough barrel, can I curve my bullets around a pole and hit my opponent?

kyrin88
05-07-12, 17:12
Wait, you mean the can whips with the barrel?
I thought the barrel just whipped around and the can sat still.
If I use a light enough barrel, can I curve my bullets around a pole and hit my opponent?

You would have to join that secret fraternity that Morgan Freeman is in, first.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-07-12, 17:23
In my experience the poi shift is fairly consistent.

Turnkey11
05-07-12, 21:45
You would have to join that secret fraternity that Morgan Freeman is in, first.

I just wanna know what Morgan Freeman and Mr Miyagi use in their bath water.

glocktogo
05-08-12, 09:33
I run a 6933 with an M42K in full auto on a Colt RR M16. No issues there. I'm not sure I'd do it on a 16" pencil barrel though. There's a lot more unsupported barrel sticking out there with a 16" vs. 11.5".

Mikey
05-08-12, 20:03
Yeah thinking about it, that was a dumb question.

Thank you for the advice.

Mike

kwelz
05-08-12, 23:18
I run a 10.3 inch LW DD barrel with a M4-1K. POI shift was extreme. Probably 3-4 inches at 25 yards.