PDA

View Full Version : 13in custom vs 12.5

jwfuhrman
05-07-12, 09:39
So every once in a while I get ideas, usually not good ones, but was curious as to what you guys think here.

Instead of a 12.5, I had the thought of cutting down, re threading and crowning a 14.5 barrel to 13in. This would give you slightly more clearance when using say a 12in rail like the DD RIS II. The 1/2in extra isn't much, but in theory(in my head at least), it would be just as usuable as a 12.5 but have that extra clearance for longer rail and suppressor use.

What do the guys in the real world think of that?

Cameron
05-07-12, 09:58
I was looking at 3 of my ARs this morning they were lined up and I was thinking that there is so little difference between the 16", 14.5", 10.5" barrel lengths that it means very little in terms of size. (That is why I went for "as short as possible" on my SBR).

I have an LMT 10.5" barrel with a DD 10" lite rail and I am looking at my options for mounting a can with so little barrel exposed so I get the need for the extra 0.5"

While I think you could cut a 14.5" down to 13" and it would look good with a 12" rail and a can, is the 1.5" really worth it???

Only you can answer that.

Cameron

AR15barrels
05-07-12, 11:08
Rather than trying to pick a length to be compatible with parts, just gather up all the parts, dry fit the barrel and rail on a receiver and put a sharpie mark where you want the can to shoulder up against the barrel.
Then send your barrel to the guy doing the threading and tell him to put the shoulder at the line...

jjw
05-08-12, 21:14
why go thru all that doe 11/2" seems useless to me but if its what u want Mr Rausch is correct.

i use d/d 11.5" 1/7 lite wt on all my sbr's 1" extra seems good for dwell time, on the cans. s/f and knacs. 10.5 is good but i like 11.5 why i dont know just do, no tactical reason. either is gtg for tactical work. i am lazy tho. if i can buy it i wont build it.

don't take this badly but down in god's country (TEXAS) thats called straining at a gnat and swallowing a horse.

good luck

jwfuhrman
05-08-12, 21:32
I run a KINO(12.5) already, and have a 14.5in BCM standard barrel I had ordered a while ago for a random build that I never got around to finishing along with a Troy 12in MRF. Figured I would try out the 13in with a 12in rail idea since I've got the parts.