PDA

View Full Version : Melonited Upper Receiver?

carl.c
05-07-12, 10:12
I've been assembling a parts list for a new rifle build, and I'm looking at some different options for a stripped upper. I'm 99% sold on going with a Mega Arms forged upper/lower combo. I know I really can't go wrong with that. Recently, I checked out the NiB-X Upper from WMD guns, and I like the idea of Nickel-boron coating to give that little extra smooth cycling.

I plan on using an Ar15 performance barrel, and a JP full mass bolt carrier group; both of which are melonited. It got me thinking, does anyone make a melonited upper receiver? I know I can't go wrong with some of the more conventional options, but I'm always interested in innovation.

C4IGrant
05-07-12, 10:20
I've been assembling a parts list for a new rifle build, and I'm looking at some different options for a stripped upper. I'm 99% sold on going with a Mega Arms forged upper/lower combo. I know I really can't go wrong with that. Recently, I checked out the NiB-X Upper from WMD guns, and I like the idea of Nickel-boron coating to give that little extra smooth cycling.

I plan on using an Ar15 performance barrel, and a JP full mass bolt carrier group; both of which are melonited. It got me thinking, does anyone make a melonited upper receiver? I know I can't go wrong with some of the more conventional options, but I'm always interested in innovation.

You can't as they are Alum.

C4

RD62
05-07-12, 10:20
I don't believe you can Melonite aluminum.

carl.c
05-07-12, 12:11
oh ok thank you

GrumpyM4
05-07-12, 19:02
Actually, you can melonite Al.

Only problem is that Al becomes extrordinarily brittle, making the nitriding process unsatisfactory for high Al content alloys, such as those that AR's are made from.

Turns out that the best steel alloys for nitriding contain a small amount of the following nitride forming metals: aluminum, chromium, vanadium, and molybdenum.