PDA

View Full Version : Rail light mount Q's

MH64
01-08-08, 19:57
This is sort of an addition to the vfg question I posted in another thread.

For those that are running a tac light on a railed handguard, how are you mounting it to be used on a railed handguard, both with and without a vertical fore grip on the handguard?

I have seen various mounts from an offset type mount to those that have the light right against the rail in either the 3, 6 or 9 position.

The lights I personally have at this point are a couple of G2 Surefires and a couple of 6P with shock bezels.

RD62
01-08-08, 20:56
I've been trying to figure out what I like best too. Right now my mount puts the light right against the rail and I've been running it at the 3:00 position. I just ordered a VTAC mount in hopes of moving the light to about the 1:00 or 11:00 position, to better clear barricades and other obstacles. Ideally I want to try the 12:00 position, but I'd need a new rail set-up for that, so it'll have top wait awhile

-RD62

MH64
01-11-08, 20:13
Bump for more feedback.

RD62
01-11-08, 20:54
Got my VTAC mount and have it attached at the 9:00 position which puts the light at about 10:00. It's pretty tight to the rail, and doesn't stick out any further than my DD rail mount QD sling adapter. Front bezel of the light is about even with the back of the FSB which with an "Irish" grip on my VFG and left index finger along the bottom of the 3:00 rail puts the tailcap of the light in just the right position for thumb activation. I was running a tapeswitch, but I think I prefer this method. When I get a new rail system I will move my sling mount rearward and my light mount and VFG forward, as I like the handling of the VFG further towards the muzzle but this works for now.

There are several good ways to mount a G2/6P, like the DD mounts, Larue, VLTOR, the Surefire M78 QD mount (which lets you remove the light from the mount without having to take the mount off the weapon). The VTAC is pretty inexpensive so I thought I'd give it a shot to see how I like it. I wish someone made one like it from aluminum or similar heavier duty material, as I don't know how this will hold out with heavy usage. But it holds the light tight and seems pretty solid on the rail. If it goes TU, I'll probably go with a DD mount.

I started a thread about best light placement before, you may find it interesting. http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5500

It pretty much comes down to personal preference though. Good luck!

-RD62