PDA

View Full Version : Cuba Question

3 AE
05-07-12, 18:10
What is it about Cuba that for over 50 years we still have an embargo on them? Hell, we've done/do business with just about every present or former communist country over the years. It doesn't matter which party has control of Congress or which Liberal or Conservative is the POTUS. It seems like Cuba is a no go. Is there something they know that we don't? We want their cigars and their baseball players! They must want something from us. Let's make a deal.

Eurodriver
05-07-12, 18:53
What is it about Cuba that for over 50 years we still have an embargo on them? Hell, we've done/do business with just about every present or former communist country over the years. It doesn't matter which party has control of Congress or which Liberal or Conservative is the POTUS. It seems like Cuba is a no go. Is there something they know that we don't? We want their cigars and their baseball players! They must want something from us. Let's make a deal.

We do business with Cuba.

3 AE
05-07-12, 18:56
We do business with Cuba.

We do?:confused:

GTifosi
05-07-12, 22:22
Gitmo is in Cuba.
Someone set that up and is paying the rent.

Belmont31R
05-07-12, 22:45
We do?:confused:

Yes. Food and medical supplies are exempt from the embargo. I believe we are Cuba's number 1 importer of food products.

Personally I think the embargo is stupid, and we are trading with the Chinese and Vietnamese. We have a Vietnam war memorial for everyone of our guys who died there and in the 90's we opened trade with them. Cuba was not near as hot of a 'war', and was really quite limited when you look at comparisons to other conflicts.

oef24
05-07-12, 23:05
Tons of food including rice is exported directly from the US to Cuba.

O

Belmont31R
05-07-12, 23:40
http://en.mercopress.com/2011/04/16/cuba-admits-food-imports-bill-is-up-25-and-miracles-are-running-out

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-08-12, 00:30
I love Cuban cigars, I say its about time we open free trade again since my homemade humidor isnt gonna keep my R & J's and Cohibas moist forever.

Belmont31R
05-08-12, 01:02
I love Cuban cigars, I say its about time we open free trade again since my homemade humidor isnt gonna keep my R & J's and Cohibas moist forever.

Ending the embargo would destroy cuban cigar quality for at least 5 years. Every swinging dick would want to try a cuban, and theres already a huge problem with fakes.

I agree with ending the embargo just don't think you are going to go to your local BM and get a quality box of Cohibas for a couple hundred. There is also the issue of the general cigar and atladis holding a lot of cuban brand names because of the embargo. Who gets to sell under what name? Ive yet to see a rational response to that. The cubans are already selling as many cigars a year as they can.

Allow me to rant here for a second but its not cuba who is ****ed up when it comes to exports. They are exporting to dozens of countries all with their own ****ed up laws. This nation has one legal importer and this country has blah blah blah. Grey market cigars and blah blah blah. The war on terror in the US means a lot of internationally purchased cigars are getting confiscated. Blah blah blah. This whole thing is so stupid is asinine. But I can go to cop shop and buy some vietnamese made gloves to go "on duty" with or go buy my dog some chinese made dog food thats probably going to kill her. This whole thing is so friggin stupid. All these governments want a their ounce of flesh anytime money changes hands. The cubans are ****ed up but so is every other country.

glocktogo
05-08-12, 07:54

Umm...because we're mad, pouty children when we don't get our way and we're proving that we can hold a grudge as long as anyone else? :confused:

Eurodriver
05-08-12, 08:16
Umm...because we're mad, pouty children when we don't get our way and we're proving that we can hold a grudge as long as anyone else? :confused:

No, because Cubans who fled Castro are a significant voting block in the swing state of Florida. How do you think Clinton won Florida in '96? Do you think it was just a coincidence that was the same year he strengthened the embargo?

Also, here's an interesting factoid on Cuba, the Cuban government actually owns a plot of land in Ybor City (Tampa, FL). They pay the property taxes every year via check, and for 50 years the US Government has not cashed a single one.

http://www.wtsp.com/rss/article/200825/8/Why-do-they-call-it-that-Part-of-Tampa-owned-by-Cuba

I went on a tour of Ybor city a few weeks ago, and met one of the District Attorneys from the '90s. He always told his officers that "If there is a murder in that park, you better drag the body back to America. I dont want any international incidents."

http://www.hmdb.org/Photos1/114/Photo114237.jpg

Spurholder
05-08-12, 08:28
Gitmo is in Cuba.
Someone set that up and is paying the rent.

TR's people brokered one heck of a deal. Wonder if we're still paying in gold, though? :confused:

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/dip_cuba003.asp

BrigandTwoFour
05-08-12, 10:48
No, because Cubans who fled Castro are a significant voting block in the swing state of Florida. How do you think Clinton won Florida in '96? Do you think it was just a coincidence that was the same year he strengthened the embargo?

^^
This

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, went to college in Miami. There is a lot of VERY strong emotion on the part of Cuban expats. They would love to see their families again, but they absolutely despise the government and will support any effort to "stick it to the man."

Until the Cuban government collapses or is overthrown (again), they will always be a vote for whoever keeps the embargo strong.

rojocorsa
05-08-12, 23:29

If I understand correctly, it's because of the Cuban-American lobby/special interest.

Otherwise, this makes not a lick of sense.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/431074_1969492654545_1759851430_955045_1328352050_n.jpg

I made this a couple months ago. And yes, it's because I'm a cigar guy. That's what brought my attention to the issue.

ETA: Yes, I also understand what this would to supply and demand, don't get me wrong.

Also, the embargo was the best thing that ever happened to cigars in general, no?

feedramp
05-09-12, 00:30
The real question is, did you pronounce it "KOO-bah" in your head when you read the word "Cuba"?
:D

yellowfin
05-09-12, 08:13
Their cigars are spotty on quality. Sure the flavor is there, but QC is severely lacking. Rum on the other hand is much harder to screw up and I recall theirs being quite good. Now if you want a really awesome Cuban export, there's Daisy Fuentes.

05-09-12, 21:00
Um, there are lots of hot Cuban women. Bitches be jealous.

Moose-Knuckle
05-09-12, 21:05
Classic cars, best cigars in the world, and of course Mojitos.

obucina
05-09-12, 21:47
Classic cars, best cigars in the world, and of course Mojitos.

i would love to see the castro regime disappear sooner rather than later. I have a few cuban friends who would like to see that also....Personally, I would give anything to put PILAR on the side of a 22ft center console and go Marlin huntin' then scout for a mojito. I remember when those refugees got a '52 Aquamarine Edsel to float to Key West when I was in high school, the man who did that deserves a full ride to MIT! I live in South Florida and found out how much Fidel is hated when I was 8, I asked my mothers friend what he thinks about that Castro guy with the long beard. Ironically, that dude was named Fidel also!

of course, this happens to come up when I make black beans and rice for dinner!

rojocorsa
05-09-12, 22:40
i would love to see the castro regime disappear sooner rather than later. I have a few cuban friends who would like to see that also....Personally, I would give anything to put PILAR on the side of a 22ft center console and go Marlin huntin' then scout for a mojito. I remember when those refugees got a '52 Aquamarine Edsel to float to Key West when I was in high school, the man who did that deserves a full ride to MIT! I live in South Florida and found out how much Fidel is hated when I was 8, I asked my mothers friend what he thinks about that Castro guy with the long beard. Ironically, that dude was named Fidel also!

of course, this happens to come up when I make black beans and rice for dinner!

1) Where there is a will there is a way.

2) They got some delicious black beans.

Would love to be able to travel to Cuba and visit and have a good time.

Kfgk14
05-09-12, 22:53
I hate having to go to Canada to smoke a Cuban and make it all "kosher". If they just lifted the embargo on cigars, at least...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-10-12, 02:59
Just an FYI, Nicaraugan tobacco is tasting mighty fine recently, even surpassing the flavors of some of my Cubans. Ive heard amazing things about "La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso" and "Cabaiguan Guapo". As far as my other 2 cuban favs, Mojitos and Cuban sandwhiches, Annals and Drews on Thursday nights in Oceanside, CA makes the meanest Cuban sandwich in the world. And as far as mojitos, well, Applebees (I know I know) has a great double shot Mojito.

chadbag
05-10-12, 11:43
Yes. Food and medical supplies are exempt from the embargo. I believe we are Cuba's number 1 importer of food products.

Sending out, not coming in to us. There is a reason Belize has a corner on the Habanero market.

--

obucina
05-10-12, 13:03
1) Where there is a will there is a way.

2) They got some delicious black beans.

Would love to be able to travel to Cuba and visit and have a good time.

Ive done some backwater fishing in florida bay and usually joke to the captain about heading south for some rum drinks. also, there is a boat rental place near fiesta key, the owner makes a point to inform you that there is NOT enough gas to get to Havana!