PDA

View Full Version : Night Sights on your AR

NoveskeFan
05-08-12, 04:09
Curious as to how many here run Tritium irons on their AR's. Seems like a good thing to have should optics fail. Do most of you consider this a good investment for a Home Defense rifle?

boomhower
05-08-12, 04:49
It seems most are against it. I run a truglo tritium front dot on mine. I haven't tried a rear NS. Everyone says they just blur with NTCH shooting style which makes sense. I've found the site helps as much in the day as it does at night. The lighter colored dot is much more contrast that a black iron. I have to qual at night and a black iron on a black target at night is a challenge. It was worth the $60 to me though I know I'm in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

fixit69
05-08-12, 08:29
Tried them on a friends. I really thought it might be a good idea. Wrong again. Love them on my pistols. Just not on an AR.

Weird thing is (did blur a little) it was " distracting ". I don't know how else to put it. Kept throwing off my sight picture for some reason. Maybe I just needed more time with it, but...

masakari
05-08-12, 08:35
I have a night sight front post on my Springfield Armory SOCOM16, and dont really like it. Its too fat to be used at longer range. This alone has dissuaded me from getting them for my ARs.

Animal_Mother556
05-08-12, 08:36
Here are my thoughts on night sights -- and I could be totally wrong...

We are supposed to identify our target's foreground and background, right? If it is dark enough where we can see the glow from our sights...how are we identifying anything? That is why I carry a light source. I can see my sights as they are silhouetted against the lit-up target. Night sights are not for me.

!Nvasi0n
05-08-12, 10:17

We are supposed to identify our target's foreground and background, right? If it is dark enough where we can see the glow from our sights...how are we identifying anything? That is why I carry a light source. I can see my sights as they are silhouetted against the lit-up target. Night sights are not for me.

^^this^^ no problems here shouldering my weapon in low ready, activate light, shoulder to ready...boom perfect sight picture.

Or just shoulder to ready...pop on the light, and you'll be in the money if you have solid anchor points..and you'll be right on your sight picture

Eurodriver
05-08-12, 10:34
The best night sight I have ever used is a Surefire M600C coupled with an Aimpoint T1.

Second to that is a PVS14.

Kain
05-08-12, 11:58
I have a set, like the front for certain situations the rear I find to be pretty much useless. Not something I would be concerned added to every rifle I own though.

Failure2Stop
05-08-12, 12:04
If you have an attached light, there is no real benefit to a tritium front on a rifle.
Don't waste your money on tritium rear sights on a rifle.

TangoSauce
05-08-12, 12:08
I run one on my front sight on a few of my ARs. It's not that distracting to me. However, the tritium is only on one face of the sight post making you do a full rotation when sighting in your rifle. That's not a huge deal, but it's nice to not have to deal with that.

Also, I would never run tritium rear sights because it's be too easy to misalign (especially when they're the same color). Could also imagine that your vision would focus into short range to obtain your sight align versus sending your eyes downrange.

Overall, spend the money on a nice weapon light instead.

zk556x45
05-08-12, 12:56

Perhaps because, ideally, you will (1) illuminate and identify => (2) go dark, move and engage => (3) move and illuminate to assess.

Thoughts?

zk

DeltaSierra
05-08-12, 21:47
The best night sight I have ever used is a Surefire M600C coupled with an Aimpoint T1.

Yup....

NoveskeFan
05-08-12, 22:14
Looks like target illumination at close range wins. I have a Surefire G2X on my middy and a Surefire Mini Scout pending for my SBR build. Still might order some Troy Tritium's to get a feel for them at low / no light. Thanks to all that put in their .02 cents.

devinsdad
05-08-12, 22:52
Tritium front, regular rear. Works as advertised during the day, and gives a point of aim referance point for low to no light situations. I like them and am slowly adding them to my rifles. For 99.9% of the time, I shoot during daylight and don't notice them. Just another one of those better to have and not need rather than need and not have items.

Animal_Mother556
05-09-12, 07:29
Perhaps because, ideally, you will (1) illuminate and identify => (2) go dark, move and engage => (3) move and illuminate to assess.

Thoughts?

zk

If I illuminate something at night and identify it as a threat, I am going to smoke it right there...if you "go dark" and move, who says the target will still be where you left it?

Light 'em up, then smoke 'em...just like a cigarette.

TangoSauce
05-11-12, 18:31
I got to shoot a few days ago in low light and actually found the tritium quite useful despite some of the cons I noted above.

There could be some advantages to it, particularly in a stalking situation where you don't want to use a light.

My feelings are definitely mixed on them. There seems to be a time and place for most things...

bluecanary
05-13-12, 00:24
Curious as to how many here run Tritium irons on their AR's. Seems like a good thing to have should optics fail. Do most of you consider this a good investment for a Home Defense rifle?

I work nights. got to have night sights. I just did the Meprolight front. I like it. Not very bright. Do it again probably go with the back too.

I have since added an EO Tech. Never looking back from there...

NoveskeFan
05-13-12, 00:43
I'm "working" right now:D. I bought the Trijicon front & rear apertures and installed the front blade on a Troy BUIS and have a Troy tritium rear. Used the set up to practice clearing my house the other night and really like it. Even with the very low light in my home at night, I found it easy to find the front sight post and was suprised how naturally it centered in the rear sight ring. The rear Trijicon aperture will be going into a LMT rear sight for a future build.

I work nights. got to have night sights. I just did the Meprolight front. I like it. Not very bright. Do it again probably go with the back too.

I have since added an EO Tech. Never looking back from there...

Animal_Mother556
05-13-12, 10:29
So, if it is dark enough to see the glow from your sights...how are you guys identifying your target?

NoveskeFan
05-13-12, 11:01
I think that at some distances and lighting conditions, the use of night sights alone would not be the best choice. As with my pistol, the night sights are an aid to find my proper alignment. I don't always need to illuminate a target with my light, it all depends on the conditions.

So, if it is dark enough to see the glow from your sights...how are you guys identifying your target?

Buckshot Barry
05-13-12, 11:50
I have a Trijicon CP-25F front sight and Streamlight TLR1-s on my LE6920 and am very pleased with the results.

bluecanary
05-13-12, 19:32

By the muzzle flashes. :blink:

A flashlight gives your assailant something to shoot at. That being said, I mount a Fenix on my Magpul handguard. Better be very careful with the light. We make lots of noise: keys, radio, partners, etc.

Practice, practice, practice.