PDA

View Full Version : Better way to remove Colt front sling swivel?

Graystroke
05-08-12, 13:06
I've ordered the Elzetta FLH1500 front light mount that fits into the front sight/sling swivel housing. This means I will have to remove the front swivel. I found this thru an online search that brought me back to a 2 year old M4Carbine post. I'm not too fond of pounding on my new Colt, is there a better way than this? Thanks.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48532

SteadyUp
05-08-12, 13:38
You're gonna have to pound on the pins to get them out. Remember, it's an AR, not a super rare, mint condition museum piece.

OdinIII
05-08-12, 13:51
Neither of the two that I've removed were Colt's but all they required was gentle taps.

Graystroke
05-08-12, 14:26
Neither of the two that I've removed were Colt's but all they required was gentle taps.

Thanks OdinIII, I put the rifle upside down in a rifle rest and started tapping the pin with a large nail set. It moved reasonably easy and when it was flush with the center piece, I switched to a smaller nail set and continued to tap it. Once it cleared the center piece it shot upward, bounced off the ceiling, and I haven't seen it since! But it's off and I'm all set, thanks.

OdinIII
05-08-12, 14:49
No problem.

Are you going to replace the trigger guard? It is a different story.

Graystroke
05-08-12, 15:37
No problem.

Are you going to replace the trigger guard? It is a different story.

I'm not into wearing bulky gloves, the stock guard will do just fine. My scope came today, my LT104 is suppose to be here tomorrow. The light mount and QD swivel shipped today - I have a tactical light in mind so I should be all set for awhile. Thanks again for the help.

Pretty soon my add-ons will add up to more than what the Colt cost!

OdinIII
05-08-12, 15:49
Usually the trigger guard is replaced for comfort. Some aftermarket guards fill the painful gap at the pistol grip.

Good luck.

Kokopelli
05-08-12, 16:17
I've ordered the Elzetta FLH1500 front light mount that fits into the front sight/sling swivel housing. This means I will have to remove the front swivel. I found this thru an online search that brought me back to a 2 year old M4Carbine post. I'm not too fond of pounding on my new Colt, is there a better way than this? Thanks.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48532

... ..........

spr1
05-08-12, 18:18
The right sized drill part way through the formed portion of the rivet and a gentle tap drives it out. Super simple