PDA

View Full Version : Stock Glock sights?

J-Dub
05-08-12, 20:30
I'm new to the glock platform and my duty gun has trijicon sights. I'm looking at getting a 23 for conceal/off duty carry.

Is it a must that i replace the factory sights? I keep reading that they are worthless, is this true?

C4IGrant
05-08-12, 20:33
New to glock platform and my duty gun has trijicon sights. I'm looking at getting a 23 for conceal/off duty carry.

Is it a must that i replace the factory sights? I keep reading that they are worthless, is this true?

True. Place holders so that the slots in the slide do not become damaged.

C4

J-Dub
05-08-12, 20:53
So i might as well pay the extra 60 bucks for some Meprolite Nightsights?

Thanks.

Failure2Stop
05-08-12, 21:04
Not really what I would consider to be "good sights", but still marginally better than the factory plastic.

F-Trooper05
05-08-12, 21:06
The sights are the only thing on a Glock that absolutely must be changed. No exceptions.

espnazi
05-08-12, 21:08
You can also get Ameriglo night sights for a decent price and just install them yourself. I personally like the I-dot pro.

Buck
05-08-12, 21:10
GH-431... Just saying...

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/special-combinations

S/F

B

J-Dub
05-08-12, 21:19
Ok how about trijicon sights? I think a 23 w/ trijicon night sites will run me 470.00, compared to 450.00 for meprolites.

Personally i'd rather have an M&P. But im trying to stay with one platform.

lunchbox
05-08-12, 21:36
I too have a glock 23 and am looking to replace the front sight only with this http://www.skdtac.com/Warren-Tactical-Sight-Tritium-Front-p/wrt.206.htm next paycheck, they also have sets..

DeltaSierra
05-08-12, 21:39
Ok how about trijicon sights? I think a 23 w/ trijicon night sites will run me 470.00, compared to 450.00 for meprolites.

Personally i'd rather have an M&P. But im trying to stay with one platform.

I'm running the RB1 sights on my carry gun (Glock 19,) and they are very good - I'd suggest those over the Meprolites or Trijicons.....

Frailer
05-08-12, 21:48
...Is it a must that i replace the factory sights? I keep reading that they are worthless, is this true?

No, they're not worthless. In fact, they work just fine, and the "goalpost" rear works especially well for my middle-aged eyes. All my Glocks wear them.

I'll admit that I'm in the minority here, and I wish they were steel instead of plastic. I may well have to change them out if and when they ever start to show appreciable wear. But it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not trying to contradict anyone who commented above. If they think they suck, they're absolutely right. But they don't suck for me.

J-Dub
05-08-12, 21:56
All good info guys, i appreciate it.

ccoker
05-08-12, 22:24
Got a G19 recently for CHL use
kind of full circle as a 19 was my first handgun purchase as an adult

been looking at options and going with this setup from Ameriglo

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/pro%20idot%20green.jpg

F-Trooper05
05-08-12, 22:25
No, they're not worthless. In fact, they work just fine, and the "goalpost" rear works especially well for my middle-aged eyes. All my Glocks wear them.

I'll admit that I'm in the minority here, and I wish they were steel instead of plastic. I may well have to change them out if and when they ever start to show appreciable wear. But it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not trying to contradict anyone who commented above. If they think they suck, they're absolutely right. But they don't suck for me.

You might feel differently when you draw your gun in a fight one day and notice that your front sight post is missing. Or when you rip the rear sight off by doing a one handed reload. I would encourage you to at least replace them with the metal Glock sights if nothing else.

darr3239
05-08-12, 22:33
Heinie Straight Eights

trlcavscout
05-08-12, 22:45
I like the factory sites and have used them for work for years. I only have trijicons on my nite stand gun because the wife likes them. I am switching a couple Glocks to the metal combat sites but overall the factory sites are ok. Some of my best runs at GSSF shoots have been with factory sites on a Glock 22.

CoryCop25
05-08-12, 22:47
Got a G19 recently for CHL use
kind of full circle as a 19 was my first handgun purchase as an adult

been looking at options and going with this setup from Ameriglo

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/pro%20idot%20green.jpg

I run these but with a yellow rear tritium insert. They are fantastic!

Rattlehead
05-08-12, 23:56
Check out Heinie Straight Eight's..

d90king
05-09-12, 07:48
GH-431... Just saying...

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/special-combinations

S/F

B

I prefer the 433's :D
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/GL433-1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/eb339557.jpg

skullworks
05-09-12, 08:39
AmeriGlo all the way!

Meprolight has a crappy screw for the front sight; the Swedish armed forces has had huge problems with them coming off (regardless of LocTite) and have recently switched to AmeriGlo.

Also, Meprolight use large tritium inserts to compensate for their weak glow. AmeriGlo uses smaller more intense inserts that have about twice the longevity of the Meprolight inserts.

Ironbutt
05-09-12, 08:53
I have 3 Glocks & replaced the sights on all of them with Ameriglos. I have the I-dots on the G17 & like that setup. I put a set of Hacks on the G21 & was so impressed that I bought a set for the G23. That big orange dot on the front really stands out.

C4IGrant
05-09-12, 09:05

Yes, they are plastic and yes they can become easily damaged.

How is your weapons night fighting capability with those on it???

Just so you know, Glock laughs out loud every time someone actually keeps these sights on their gun. ;)

C4

TeamGrazzi
05-09-12, 09:43
Is there a way to replace the rear sight without one of those big a$$ tools that cost more than the sights did?

C4IGrant
05-09-12, 09:47
Is there a way to replace the rear sight without one of those big a$$ tools that cost more than the sights did?

Yes. You can use a brass punch and tap them out. For me personally, the press is the best way to install a rear sight that has Tritium vials in it.

C4

NWPilgrim
05-09-12, 09:53

Yes, borrow one form a friend! Out of several Glock owners you may know at least one of them probably already has one of the rear sight tools.

I lived with the OEM sights for a long time until I tried the Ameriglo Pro Operator night sights. Did not try to I-dot version, but those would be my next choice if I did not already like the Pro ops.

TeamGrazzi
05-09-12, 09:57
Ok one more stupid question.... If I purchased Ameriglo sights does it matter what kind of tool I get? Seems like every sight maker has their own tool. Will one work with all sights? Again dumb question alert!

Texas
05-09-12, 10:26
I have had the Truglo TFO sights and I liked them quite a bit. However I have heard a lot about the Warren tactical sights and I might try them on my new G23 RTF.

C4IGrant
05-09-12, 10:27
Ok one more stupid question.... If I purchased Ameriglo sights does it matter what kind of tool I get? Seems like every sight maker has their own tool. Will one work with all sights? Again dumb question alert!

MWG is the main company.

C4

Ironman8
05-09-12, 10:33
I'm in the market for some new sights and about to pull the trigger on the GL-433s (thanks d90king) and was looking to pick up one of the front sight tools that Ameriglo sells. Any experience with one of these? (https://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/sight-tools/glock/front-sight-tool)

Is the smaller/cheaper one worth even the small amount of money that you would spend on it? Or should you just go with the $29 version?

Any other suggestions besides these?

d90king
05-09-12, 11:26
I'm in the market for some new sights and about to pull the trigger on the GL-433s (thanks d90king) and was looking to pick up one of the front sight tools that Ameriglo sells. Any experience with one of these? (https://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/sight-tools/glock/front-sight-tool)

Is the smaller/cheaper one worth even the small amount of money that you would spend on it? Or should you just go with the $29 version?

While not something of outstanding quality, the one that came with the sights has worked well enough for me. I have used it on 5 sets of 433's with no issue...

Ironman8
05-09-12, 11:31
While not something of outstanding quality, the one that came with the sights has worked well enough for me. I have used it on 5 sets of 433's with no issue...

Oh, didn't know the sights will come with one.

Follow on question, when using one of these, how tight do you generally tighten the screw? I tend to gorilla grip some things and over-tighten, so I don't wanna strip the screw or tool for that matter. I will be using blue loc-tite as well...

d90king
05-09-12, 11:39
Oh, didn't know the sights will come with one.

Follow on question, when using one of these, how tight do you generally tighten the screw? I tend to gorilla grip some things and over-tighten, so I don't wanna strip the screw or tool for that matter. I will be using blue loc-tite as well...

I crank it down pretty good (keeping in mind that the tool doesn't really allow you to get a death grip on it because it is pretty narrow) and apply loc-tite and haven't had one work loose yet...

Ironman8
05-09-12, 11:43
I crank it down pretty good (keeping in mind that the tool doesn't really allow you to get a death grip on it because it is pretty narrow) and apply loc-tite and haven't had one work loose yet...

Gotchya. Thanks d90. Putting my order in now :)

okie john
05-09-12, 12:02

I agree that a press is the best way to install tritium sights. But a press will also pay for itself in profanity the first time you actually sit down to get a proper zero, unless you're happy holding the A-zone at 7m, in which case it won't matter. Also, since changing your duty load can change your POI, you'll need it then as well. And if you buy more than one Glock...

Just get the press. It makes a lot of sense in the long run.

Okie John

okie john
05-09-12, 12:12

I wouldn't worry about them "showing appreciable wear". I'd worry about them falling off or getting knocked off if you drop the gun. (When I replace Glock sights, I usually just push the front sight off the slide with my thumb. The rear sight will usually drift out if I press it hard enough against a workbench top. It doesn't take much for either of them to give way.)

If you really like the sight picture, Glock makes the same sights in steel. They're about $30 from Glockmeister. If you use the gun to defend yourself or people you care about, please seriously consider at least upgrading to Glock steel sights.

Okie John

skullworks
05-09-12, 12:17
If you really like the sight picture, Glock makes the same sights in steel. They're about $30 from Glockmeister. If you use the gun to defend yourself or people you care about, please seriously consider at least upgrading to Glock steel sights.
This, at least for the front sight!

pr1042
05-09-12, 12:31

Not sure what part of Texas you are in but I ordered from GT Distributors. They were special order so took longer to come in but ran me 75 installed....

RagweedZulu
05-09-12, 15:42
With one exception , I have swapped out the sights on all of my Glocks with steel. It's a MUST. The exception was a G27 that I carried on duty and off for most of 12 years. The sights gotreally dinged up (the rear was a factory adjustable set) but they worked right up to last month.

I wanted RB1 sights on it, but since they were back ordered, I went with 10-8 U-notch and LOVE them! Fast, very accurate and dependable. I'm going to start putting these on all my SD guns.

BTW, I did the swap myself, at the kitchen counter with a hammer, punch and some LocTite 242. I'm sure there are better ways to do the work, but I'm not looking for a pretty gun. It's a tool and needs to have some dings on it anyway. :)

SmokeJumper
05-09-12, 16:33
If your duty gun has night sights, then personally I would run night sights on my off-duty and back up guns, that is what I do. I also like the Trijicon and Heine sighs in the three dot configuration. Just what works for me. And the sight tool/pusher helps facilitate the swap. But I bet your rangemaster/armorer will install the new sights for ya if you ask. Good luck

NWPilgrim
05-09-12, 17:09
The difference in models of rear sight tools is whether the push pads have sloped or vertical sides. Glock and Ameriglo (Trijicon too I think) at least have sloped sides. Don't know the differences between brands though it appears some have different screw mechanisms.

The front sight tool that comes with Ameriglo sights is small but adequate. I did't realize it was included and bought the larger tool. It is longer and bigger diameter handle but same hex head.

Frailer
05-09-12, 18:38
You might feel differently when you draw your gun in a fight one day and notice that your front sight post is missing. Or when you rip the rear sight off by doing a one handed reload. I would encourage you to at least replace them with the metal Glock sights if nothing else.

Since I've retired from the military, the odds of me getting in a gunfight are very low--for the sake of argument, let's call it one in a thousand. Since I've drawn a Glock from a holster more than a thousand times without ripping a sight off, the odds of me doing so are clearly lower, but let's call it 1/1000 anyway.

The odds of the two events occurring simultaneously are therefore one in a million. The NWS says it's 100 times more likely that I'll be struck by lightning in my lifetime.

I'll take those odds.

The folks at Glock can giggle at me all they like.

okie john
05-09-12, 18:40

Whatever you say, ace.

Okie John

Heavy Metal
05-09-12, 19:13
Since I've retired from the military, the odds of me getting in a gunfight are very low--for the sake of argument, let's call it one in a thousand. Since I've drawn a Glock from a holster more than a thousand times without ripping a sight off, the odds of me doing so are clearly lower, but let's call it 1/1000 anyway.

The odds of the two events occurring simultaneously are therefore one in a million. The NWS says it's 100 times more likely that I'll be struck by lightning in my lifetime.

I'll take those odds.

The amount of force it takes to remove that front sight is around the level of a dying dustbunny.

Frailer
05-09-12, 19:13
Whatever you say, ace...

FWIW, your initial response was very well-reasoned and civil. I appreciate it. Seriously.

I *have* dropped a gun before, so *your* scenario was a realistic one.

For everyone else, I conceded up front that if you think they suck, you're right. No need to prove it to me.

F-Trooper05
05-09-12, 19:45

I'll take those odds.

If you're going to go by "the odds" then why even bother carrying a gun? Metal Glock sights are $30. Not getting a set is just lazy. And recommending to people like the OP that their plastic sights are good to go is reckless.

Frailer
05-09-12, 20:27
If you're going to go by "the odds" then why even bother carrying a gun? Metal Glock sights are $30. Not getting a set is just lazy. And recommending to people like the OP that their plastic sights are good to go is reckless.

Did you actually read what I wrote, or was your response reflexive?

Here's how I closed my initial post:

...I'm not trying to contradict anyone who commented above. If they think they suck, they're absolutely right. But they don't suck for me.

What was reckless about that?

We all play the odds, partner. If we didn't, none of us would carry handguns; we'd all be carrying rifles. The question is, what level of of risk is acceptable to *you*?

I don't happen to think that the stock plastic sights--which work for me--pose an inordinate risk. You are absolutely free to feel differently. You can even think me an idiot.

But if you do, why the heck are you wasting your time arguing with an idiot?

TeamGrazzi
05-09-12, 21:15
I just broke down and got a press. Figure I need to start building up my "Armour's tools" anyway. Got one for $120 that came with a larger front sight tool. Of course my wife hates me but what ever because I keep buying stuff :dance3:

J-Dub
05-09-12, 21:29
thanks for the info guys. Looks like its either ameriglo or trijicons.

Maybe just some metal glock sites to start off, then decide down the road.

Ironman8
05-09-12, 21:37
Gotta say, I put an order in with Ameriglo @ 11:56am and had a tracking number by 12:54pm! I think it actually went on the truck at around 2pm...now that's FAST folks! :eek: Great CS on their part!

NWPilgrim
05-10-12, 00:18
My Ameriglo sights have "Trijicon" stamped right on them. Must be designed, modified and marketed by Ameriglo but manufactured mostly by Trijicon. So both are top quality.

espnazi
05-10-12, 00:32
My Ameriglo sights have "Trijicon" stamped right on them. Must be designed, modified and marketed by Ameriglo but manufactured mostly by Trijicon. So both are top quality.

I believe Ameriglo makes the sights, and Trijicon just installs the tritium inserts.

RagweedZulu
05-10-12, 00:42
True story:

The only time I've seen stock sights fail was during a roll over traffic collision on State Route 99 a few years ago. A guy hit a guard rail on sweeping curve, flipped end over end while rolling too. Inside, his G30 was bouncing around (lucky it didn't smack him in the grape). While storing the pickup, after he was flown from the scene, I found a like new G30 with the front sight busted clean off the slide, just a little hole up there.

Although I'm not a fan of carrying a Glock with the factory plastic nubs on top, they DO hold up pretty well in my experience. Just keep your four wheels on the road and you're GTG.

Ghostmaker
05-10-12, 02:11
We all play the odds, partner. If we didn't, none of us would carry handguns; we'd all be carrying rifles. The question is, what level of of risk is acceptable to *you*?

I don't happen to think that the stock plastic sights--which work for me--pose an inordinate risk.

Not to jump into this argument but I've witnessed more than one student's stock glock sights get stripped off. It does happen.

While its likely you may never be in a personal defense situation, I think making sure our personal defense tools are up to said task is something we should do. I mean, it should be a no-brainer.
Its sane & sound thinking not to want the risk of them coming off in the middle of a bad situation no matter how unlikely.

whats wrong with bettering our odds? Who doesn't want that?

Most of those situations also happen in low-light or no-light. So there is also the factor of having the night sights to help those odds.

I mean, even though most engagements happen within close range it doesn't mean I'm not going to train for long range engagements even though they are even more unlikely.

But its your your preference so do what you want. :)

skullworks
05-10-12, 06:51
I believe Ameriglo makes the sights, and Trijicon just installs the tritium inserts.
Pretty much everyone in the industry buy their tritium inserts from the same source - Trijicon. So, though the sights themselves may vary, and the quality/size of the inserts may vary as well, the source invariably is Trijicon.

Rodman24
05-10-12, 07:30
I knocked the front sight off of my G22 before I could get even put 500 rounds through it (and before my sights came in for installation). And I have no idea how it even happened. I don't recall any serious abuse taking place. I pulled the G22 out of my range bag and "surprise!".

Change them.

JSGlock34
05-10-12, 07:51
Steel Glock OEM three dot night sights are a $59 option. While not my sight of choice, I've probably shot more Glocks with these sights than any others, and they are rugged and serviceable. You can send your slide to Glock and they'll install the sights too (no additional charge).

Personally, I consider replacing the plastic sights as a requirement for any defensive firearm.

Ameriglo, Trijicon, Warren and other sights are out there that have their own attributes and followings. I'm currently experimenting with the Trijicon HD sights on my new FDE G17. One of the advantages of Glock is the fact that just about every manufacturer makes their sights for Glock pistols.

C4IGrant
05-10-12, 09:10

Trijicon simply installs the Tritium (nothing else).

C4

gunnut284
05-10-12, 13:30
While I don't really consider it mandatory changing the plastic stock sights out for something more durable is recommended. Its usually the second thing I change, after the stock slide stop for the extended one. Sights, slide stop and maybe a plug are about all I do to a Glock. I have Glock factory night sights, Meprolights, Trijicons and 10-8s on various Glocks and all work fine for me. I actually still have plastic sights on my 26 and they work fine but will be replaced before long.

hatidua
05-10-12, 13:54
My 1992 G19, that has been used so much there's not much finish on the slide anymore and the frame was replaced because the grip cracked, is going to need a new sight - apparently the plastic ones that have been on it since day 1 aren't functional. I learn something every time I go on the interwebs.

20 year old sights - but they suck. I'll go buy some new ones right away!

PLCedeno
05-10-12, 13:56
Did you actually read what I wrote, or was your response reflexive?

Here's how I closed my initial post:

...I'm not trying to contradict anyone who commented above. If they think they suck, they're absolutely right. But they don't suck for me.

What was reckless about that?

I don't happen to think that the stock plastic sights--which work for me--pose an inordinate risk. You are absolutely free to feel differently. You can even think me an idiot.

But if you do, why the heck are you wasting your time arguing with an idiot?

Its possible part of what's going on here is that some are comparing the old Glock front sight to the new. The new plastic ones are screwed in just like on a night sight. These are much more durable than the old ones with the little plastic stake. Though i change mine out into Trijicons almost immediately, i dont see how the claim that they come off so easily is reflective of the new design.

ffhounddog
05-10-12, 14:13
Well if your duty gun has three dot nights sights get a three dot set. I had Warren Tacticals on my gen3 Glock 19 and my fiance could not line them up right. She was looking for the other two dots (I have just the front as tritium). She grabed my Glock 19 Gen4 with three dot trijicons and did a lot better. She told me it was too different going from 3 dots to just one dot. Training issue maybe but she does shoot the glock better than I most days.

Now if you think the rears are too big on Trijicons, Ameriglo has a 3 dot with small rear vials. Those are pretty good. I use them on my G17 and find I can see the front better.

JSGlock34
05-10-12, 17:10
I guess I just don't follow the 'debate'. I don't need to personally break off a plastic rear sight to know that it is a probable failure point - particularly when used to cycle the slide during a vigorous survival manipulation. I'd rather learn from the experience of others and purchase better equipment.

JonInWA
05-11-12, 08:16
There have always been essentially three issues with the OEM Glock polymer sights: 1. The relative fragility of the method of securing the front sight to the pistol; 2. The relative susceptability of the front sight to wear (i.e., from contact with the holster from repeated drawing/re-holstering over time); and 3. That the basic Glock sight picture with the OEM sights is flawed (or severely limited in viability) due to the large front sight/narrow rear sight notch (with inherently limited light bars upon alignment and the increased liklihood of a more distant target being significantly or completely obscured by the size of the front sight).

Issue #1 has been resolved by Glock for over a year, in that the front sight, while still polymer, is now secured to the slide via a screw; however, issue #2, the susceptability to wear is still there. Issue #3 is the interesting one; while the new screw-on polymer sight does appear to be a bit thinner than its pinned-on predecessor, it's not thinned by much. However, I've had some very good results over the years with the OEM sight setup-the large front dot front and goalpost rear are actually very fast to pick up and alight effectively-and in the combination of sights and trigger pull skills needed to actually accurately impact the target, I think that the triggerpull is the more important part of the equation.

All that said, the reality is that since Armando Valdez, I can't think of a major Glock jockey that sticks with the OEM Glock sights, be they polymer or steel. The current trend seems to be with 1. Metal sights, and 2. Wide rear notch (.140 and larger) and a .125 (or narrower) front sight, using either a serrated blade, or a large colorful dot, or a fiber optic front (or fiber optic front/rear) or a tritium front (or front/rear combo, in the same or different colors).

At a minimum, if you choose to remain with the OEM sight set-up, replace the polymer sight with the Glock steel ones; they're dirt cheap, and inexpensive insurance from wear (and seperation from the gun if you've got the older pinned-on front sight). I'm actually pleased enough with the Glock set-up to retain their sights (albeit in steel) on my G17, one of my G19s, and my G21, and have consistantly achieved good or better results with them in IDPA and GSSF matches over a several year period.

However, there is much to be said for the available the alternatives, many of which have already been discussed on this thread. I'm running with a set of Trijicons in the other of my G19s, and its very fast set-up, and provides a very good day and night sight picture; in my G34, I run a set of Warren Tacticals, with the back face of the front sight blade painted in a flourescent color-out of all my sight combinations, it's probably the best of the ones that I've personally got and used, all things considered if I had to pick one sight.

Best, Jon

okie john
05-11-12, 13:08
There have always been essentially three issues with the OEM Glock polymer sights: 1. The relative fragility of the method of securing the front sight to the pistol; 2. The relative susceptability of the front sight to wear (i.e., from contact with the holster from repeated drawing/re-holstering over time); and 3. That the basic Glock sight picture with the OEM sights is flawed (or severely limited in viability) due to the large front sight/narrow rear sight notch (with inherently limited light bars upon alignment and the increased liklihood of a more distant target being significantly or completely obscured by the size of the front sight).

With point 3 in mind, I remembered that there is one good thing about the factory polymer rear sight: you can open the notch with a pocket knife if you want to try different notch widths. In a recent set of experiments, I turned the rear sight around so the goal-post thingy faced forward and didn't distract me, then carved away.

Also, if you want some Glock rear sights to experiment with, most gun shops have a pile of them lying around, and they'll be happy to give them to you for free.

Okie John

brickboy240
05-11-12, 16:22
When I get my G19 to stop dinging my forehead with brass...I will be putting DeFoor sights on the thing.

If not...well...its off to M&P or PPQ land for me! LOL

- brickboy240

Ghostmaker
05-12-12, 01:23
I knocked the front sight off of my G22 before I could get even put 500 rounds through it (and before my sights came in for installation). And I have no idea how it even happened. I don't recall any serious abuse taking place. I pulled the G22 out of my range bag and "surprise!".
Change them.

Yep & like i mentioned, I've seen more than one student's come off...3 to be exact. 2 of the 3 happened during a basic pistol class we was running & was stated to have less than 100 rounds through them...the front sights ripped off, they was the staked ones.
The 3rd was when a student was running one handed drills during a different class & racked his slide on his belt catching the rear sight on it... sure enough it popped right out. When he pushed out to get a sight picture, he was surprised to see his rear sight had disappeared :blink: :confused:

My 1992 G19, that has been used so much there's not much finish on the slide anymore and the frame was replaced because the grip cracked, is going to need a new sight - apparently the plastic ones that have been on it since day 1 aren't functional. I learn something every time I go on the interwebs.

20 year old sights - but they suck. I'll go buy some new ones right away!

Point is, it can & does happen. Not that it will happen without a doubt everytime, but I wouldn't want to be the one it happened to at the wrong time. How do you know which ones will & which ones wont, its not a definite either way.
Its not something to play around with- at least it isn't with us that has seen the proverbial "elephant" or the ones who doesn't do this stuff just for another hobby, past time, etc etc... When it comes to personal defense you have to take things seriously, thats exactly why we train & make sure our equipment & tools are GTG... We take it seriously or at least we should because its a very serious matter.

You cant get too comfortable in thinking theres a very small chance of it actually happening, cause it can & does...every day, all over the place.

I wouldn't buy a supped up drag racer to race with & run the lowest octane in it. I buy my tools & equipment for a purpose, & I'm gonna give myself the best chance of winning. :)

I guess I just don't follow the 'debate'. I don't need to personally break off a plastic rear sight to know that it is a probable failure point - particularly when used to cycle the slide during a vigorous survival manipulation. I'd rather learn from the experience of others and purchase better equipment.

Exactly....

J-Dub
05-12-12, 08:53
I dont really want to start a new thread, so heres another question.

How much would you pay for a gen 2 23 police trade in with a good amount of holster wear (has trijicon ns)? The price is 330.00. Too high? I personally like the gen 2 grip better than the 3 or 4.

I dont mind the cosmetic wear, as if i get tired of looking at a worn slide i can get it cerakoted.

Devildawg2531
05-12-12, 11:27
I have the original Glock plastic sights on all 3 of my Glocks (gen 2 and gen 3) dating back to the mid 90's. I haven't had any issues with them breaking or falling off but I don't get into shootouts very often (none so far :) ) - I normally use my G27 for CCW and the G22 for IDPA and house gun, and the G24 for steel challenge and back up house gun. Both the G22 wears a Sufefire X300 and the G24 wears a Surefire X400 (wife preferred the laser - I find it distracting). I had considered the Surefires as my night capability; but the AmeriGlo's look like an inexpensive insurance / upgrade.

Question is the AmeriGlo IDPA allowed, specifically the AmeriGlo GH 431 ? At $42 each on the AmeriGlo site these look vey reasonable and should help front tight visibility. Any sites you can recommend that have them at better pricing?

Thanks

mkmckinley
05-12-12, 11:50

I use the MGW M&P sight pusher on my Glock rears and it fits just fine. One tool works for both brands' pistols. You can find the MGW tools for less than $100. If you're only ever going to install one set of sights it's easier to just have a gunsmith do it. If you're going to do more than one I think it's better to just get the tool, some files and learn to do it yourself. Dawson Precision has a good tutorial on their youtube channel. It's not that hard if you're mechanically inclined although I've seen people **** it up a few times. You'll also have an easier time making precise windage adjustments if you have the sight pusher.

NWPilgrim
05-12-12, 18:17
I dont really want to start a new thread, so heres another question.

How much would you pay for a gen 2 23 police trade in with a good amount of holster wear (has trijicon ns)? The price is 330.00. Too high? I personally like the gen 2 grip better than the 3 or 4.

I dont mind the cosmetic wear, as if i get tired of looking at a worn slide i can get it cerakoted.

$330 is a fair price to me, I would buy it in a heartbeat. In fact, I bought a very similar condition used G22 for about $350 several years ago. The night sights are good for 10 years and I think I got maybe four good years and then they faded out more each year. Even then they are still good steel black sights. With a new Glock over $500 and plastic non-night sights, it think the Gen2 G23 is a good deal.

J-Dub
05-12-12, 21:24
Good, because i just bought one! Well i missed out on the 23, so i picked up a 22. I can still conceal it i bet, or just open carry it.

I see a cerakote job coming soon too....maybe Magpul FDE...

Melon
05-13-12, 22:00
Maybe a dumb question, but as I like the goalpost rear sight, does anyone make a night sight in this configuration? All I can seem to find is a 2 dot tritium set up.

Nemecsek
05-14-12, 09:58
The OEM plastic sights are perfectly usable and are actually the best low-light sights I have seen, due to the large white "ball in the bucket" that stands out great. And for the last few years, the plastic front sight is actually screwed in, just like all aftermarker sights. The old presed-in sights from years ago sucked bad. Must of my Glocks keep the original sights until something happens, usually a dent or worn edge.

But, for most of my "serious" carry guns and especially duty guns, I use steel sights; Mepro's (mine are 15 years old and still usable)or recently, Heinie Ledge rear with Dawson front W/O tritium.

When first issued my G22, I sheered the front sight of while practicing drawing from out retention holster before I ever fired a 1st shot. Then, a few weeks later, I pointed out to my FTO that his gun is missing the front sight!! I have also seen folks lose the front sight shooting through ports at IDPA/USPSA matches where the recoil caused the muzzle to hit the top of the port. I've seen front sights stuck in the wood!!

Despite all this, most of the Glocks I see in department hosters sport the original plastic sights. I have no worries. Most OIS dont remember seeing the sights and shoot reactively. So for all you folks using the original sights, dont panick. The chances of the front sight falling off a few seconds before you have to make that 1 in a million hostage rescue head shot from 75 yards out are slim.

gatorfan605
05-14-12, 10:07
Not a fan of the polymer sights.... especially the adjustables on the G34.

Ghostmaker
05-15-12, 12:36
The OEM plastic sights are perfectly usable and are actually the best low-light sights I have seen.....

The best? I disagree. There are so many better ones out there. But hey, if it works for you then whatever. Its your preference.

Despite all this, most of the Glocks I see in department hosters sport the original plastic sights. I have no worries....

Well, any actual incident will be slim, but we still train our knowledge, mindset & skill because it happening IS a possibility.

All of our local LE that are issued Glocks replaces the plastic sights with aftermarket night sights from a reputable manufacture... I haven't seen one with the original plastic sights in many years. They have seen it be a issue in the past.... so again, it does happen occasionally.

As I stated before, just the possibility of it happening, no matter how small, should be enough to make someone want to choose a better option... there are so many. When you have the option to make sure its not going to be a issue... why wouldn't you... Especially since its not that expensive of an upgrade.

To most, it seems to be a obvious choice, as it should be.

I wouldn't be telling people not to worry about it...Its something to seriously consider.

Nemecsek
05-15-12, 15:12
I agree. Anyone carrying a Glock on-duty or serious "social work" should replace the plastic sights with a good set of aftermarket sights. The thought of drawing my gun and not finding the front sight would cause aggravation. The chances of losing the front sight is slim but I'VE HAD IT HAPPEN at the range and I now carry a spare in my range bag! But since they instal them with a screw now, I think the OEM's are servicable.

But, they do seem to "glow" in low light. They suck in daytime due to the thickness of the front post and obviously have no night capabilities, but the big fat white plastic ball in a bucket stands out the best for my eyes in low ambient light.

Ghostmaker
05-18-12, 00:41
I agree. Anyone carrying a Glock on-duty or serious "social work" should replace the plastic sights with a good set of aftermarket sights. The thought of drawing my gun and not finding the front sight would cause aggravation. The chances of losing the front sight is slim but I'VE HAD IT HAPPEN at the range and I now carry a spare in my range bag! But since they instal them with a screw now, I think the OEM's are servicable.

But, they do seem to "glow" in low light. They suck in daytime due to the thickness of the front post and obviously have no night capabilities, but the big fat white plastic ball in a bucket stands out the best for my eyes in low ambient light.

Yea, I rarely see any with the plastic sights now days except when we run basic pistol classes. Still then, I don't see them too often. The newer screwed in type is a step above the other ones, but obviously there are better out there.
Also, like I said, there was that one time that a students rear flipped out when he racked his slide on his belt running a one handed drill; which I haven't heard of that happening much before that.

Because most engagements happen during low light-no light situations, I like to have the capability for the no light part of that. I like the I-Dot setups that are out now, especially on my 1911's.

brushy bill
05-19-12, 10:50
When Defoor sights can be had at this price, I can't see why one wouldn't upgrade.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156142

ralph
05-19-12, 13:10
When Defoor sights can be had at this price, I can't see why one wouldn't upgrade.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156142

I'll have to agree, for the price you can't go wrong. I myself installed a set of Ameriglo "Hackathorn" sights on my G19, Took it out yesterday, and checked for zero, they seem to be pretty much on.. I like these sights..