PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Ken Hackathorn 2-Day Home Defense - May 4-5, 2012 - Marietta, Ohio

chuss
05-08-12, 21:22
AAR: Ken Hackathorn 2-Day Home Defense - May 4-5, 2012 - Marietta, Ohio

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99703

This class was hosted by Castle Defense at the Fort Harmar Gun club. One of the few ranges that offers a shoot house open to the public.

I'd like to thank the guys from Castle Defense for offering us the opportunity to train at the shoot house. It was a rewarding experience.

Class and Drills:

We started out the first day at the flat range, next to the shoot house. Ken and the other instructors had us warm up with some basic handgun drills to see where we were all at. We probably spent half the day there. The next half of the day, we spend in the shoot house. At first, with the blue guns, learning how to walk thru the house, open doors, peer around corners and walls, and clear rooms. It was challenging just opening the door, and entering the room without exposing too much of yourself or your weapon. Sometimes, I focused so much on that...that I failed to see the target in the room.
After we all had a practice run, we went thru the house with our own weapons, and were required to shoot the hostile targets, and not shoot the friendlies. We had several runs like this thru the house, and then broke for dinner.

After dinner, we did more drills on the flat range with moving, peering, and shooting around barrels (barricades) until dark. Then, the real fun began, as we had to clear the house under moonlight conditions. We learned how to use our weapon mounted or handheld lights. It was a level of complexity that I wasn't used to. Alot of elements all tied together. Opening doors, peering around corners, not exposing too much of yourself or your weapon, walking, observing the room, using your flashlight briefly to identify potential targets, accurately shooting targets...etc.

Day 2 included more drills inside and outside of the shoot house. Needless to say, we all received more than our money's worth...and we were all exhausted.

It was a real eye opener for someone who usually just shoots on the flat range in a straight line with little movement as possible. If you think you can get out of bed in the middle of the night and defend your house, I'd say that you need to try this class out first, before you think you are ready. I walked away feeling that I had alot more work to do, but this class gave me the information I needed to get started down the right path.

We had an opportunity to shoot a long gun in the house. It was easier to clear the house with a handgun. You'll just have to experience it for yourself to understand why. A shotgun or a rifle is much more powerful as opposed to a handgun...but it was harder to maneuver around doors and walls with it.

Where else can a civilian get an opportunity to train in a shoot house, much less, at night? Now, add Ken Hackathorn and Joe Barnsfather, and the guys from Castle Defense. It was nothing short of miracle. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the Make a Wish foundation put all of this together. :)

Thanks to everyone who made this possible, and I look forward to another class at the shoot house.

Sincerely,

Chris

Mr. Smith
05-09-12, 09:22
Thanks Chris
I was glad to be there to help .
It was a great class for you and the others.
The time we get to spend on the range should be spent with people that want to get better and I know you are on the path.