PDA

View Full Version : S&W Shield Video Review

MilitaryArms
05-08-12, 22:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJ16huA8wA

I have been testing the S&W Shield for a couple of weeks now and have fired over 1,000 rounds through the latest S&W offering.

Check it out and as always, questions and comments are welcome.

CoryCop25
05-08-12, 22:44
Nice job! I may look into getting one of these.

AKIA_AZ
05-09-12, 00:42
Nice job!
I was thinking about getting a Shield but after seeing the review I think I might just go with the M&Pc since thickness is not a huge concern to me. Now if only they would hurry up on replacing the triggers on regular M&P pistols.

On an off note, who makes your steel targets? Love the design.

Eddiesketti
05-09-12, 06:31
Is S&W just taking notes from their imports of the Walther PPS? Looks fairly identical.

MilitaryArms
05-09-12, 07:55
Nice job!
I was thinking about getting a Shield but after seeing the review I think I might just go with the M&Pc since thickness is not a huge concern to me. Now if only they would hurry up on replacing the triggers on regular M&P pistols.

On an off note, who makes your steel targets? Love the design.

It's a Tatical Torso target by Action Target. It's a new product and might not be listed on their website just yet.

It is a great target though, I like it the best of my man sized steel targets.

Texas
05-09-12, 08:01
I'm liking it

MP9
05-09-12, 09:16
Nice review.

I got my couple weeks ago, very happy with it. I have a FS too. at least in my shield there is the false reset like his bigger brother. the reset is more audible but while releasing the trigger you can feel like a small "clic" and make you think it is the reset and when pull the trigger it doesnt shoot, so you have to release it a little more.

M_Rapp
05-09-12, 13:21
Looks nice.... Always good to have options... :)

ARonBoard
05-09-12, 14:19
Just watched this video. Great job. I am personally trying to decide between the 9c and the shield. Sold my G26 for a PM9, wasnt reliable enough. Now Im more familiar with AIWB carry methods I think something like the 9c would work well. Again, nice to have decisions.

M_Rapp
05-09-12, 15:14
Just watched this video. Great job. I am personally trying to decide between the 9c and the shield. Sold my G26 for a PM9, wasnt reliable enough. Now Im more familiar with AIWB carry methods I think something like the 9c would work well. Again, nice to have decisions.

Same dilemma I have.... Nice thing about the 9c is the parts would pretty much work with my fullsize 9s.....

.45fmjoe
05-09-12, 15:27
Nice review as always.

I'm waiting for the Shield to be added to the federal LE sales list and I'm ordering one immediately - just can't decide on 9mm or .40 S&W.

SmokeJumper
05-09-12, 16:28
Job well done on the review. Looks like this new Smith is a winner. I'm looking at its potential in the BUG role. Thanks for the info.

Ty_B
05-10-12, 11:47
I shot one one Sunday and while it's a nice little gun, the trigger is several levels worse than aweful. My staple gun has a cleaner break. It was both extremely heavy and inconsistent. One time it creeped, another time it didn't, etc. The gun was new, for what that's worth.

MilitaryArms
05-10-12, 23:40
The trigger on mine is a clean and consistent 7lbs. It didn't lighten up in over 1000 rounds fired, but I like a heavier trigger on a carry gun. 6-7lbs works for me.

The only real difference in size between the Shield and the 9C is in the width. For the slightly thinner Shield you give up 5 rounds of ammo. If you carry IWB the width of the 9C really doesnt matter. What I can't do comfortably with the 9C that I can do with the Shield is carry it in a pocket.

If you plan to run a holster you might as well go with the 9C, IMHO.

RogerinTPA
05-11-12, 12:33
The trigger on mine is a clean and consistent 7lbs. It didn't lighten up in over 1000 rounds fired, but I like a heavier trigger on a carry gun. 6-7lbs works for me.

The only real difference in size between the Shield and the 9C is in the width. For the slightly thinner Shield you give up 5 rounds of ammo. If you carry IWB the width of the 9C really doesnt matter. What I can't do comfortably with the 9C that I can do with the Shield is carry it in a pocket.

If you plan to run a holster you might as well go with the 9C, IMHO.

Excellent review and have come to the same conclusion.

ShipWreck
05-11-12, 13:08
I have one and really like it. I sold my Kahr PM9 last week because the Shield is softer shooting, and I can do doubletaps with it.

I am having some abdomen pain issues, and haven't been able to carry IWB for almost 6 months now. I never really liked my PM9, and I went to rent and buy a Kahr P9. I rented the Shield as an after though, and I had to get one.

I like the thinness. It works much better for pocket carry than a doublestack - and I've pocket carried a G26 and a Walther P99c before.

SpankMonkey
05-17-12, 17:39
MAC saw your video and read up on the shield. I picked one up this week. So far it looks like this might be my new EDC. Been very happy with its performance. I need to put a few hundred more rds down range to fully trust it. But, so far its been great. Nice job on the vid.

I have been looking for a slimmer gun for some time. S&W has knocked the ball out of the park with this one. BTW I have been ETCing a G-19 for close to 20 years. It take's a lot to impress me.

Safetyhit
05-17-12, 18:30
Great review. Thorough and informative.

packinaglock
05-17-12, 19:02
Good job on the review, well done.

Ankeny
05-17-12, 19:16
I shot one one Sunday and while it's a nice little gun, the trigger is several levels worse than aweful. The trigger on my Shield wasn't very stellar out of the box. A few minutes with a file and a stone to finish up and there is now zero over travel, an exceptionally short reset, and a clean break at 5.25 pounds.

I gave up on finding a 9c locally and went with the Shield. Sunday I found four M&P 9c pistols locally. Go figure.