PDA

View Full Version : Rock River and mill spec

oldgus3836
05-09-12, 10:08
I have a Colt 6920 and a RRA DCM model both shoot very well. My question is why are RRA considered tier 2 firearms. I know the staking is not the same as my Colt I compared that seems like a simple fix. But what about the internals and receivers are they okay won't hold up to excessive firing I really do not know. I like my Colt but I like my RRA but they are basically two different styles of rifles one is for combat and one is for paper punching. I am not trying to start anything just like to know basic differences. Thanks Gus. Another thought there was a thread on TDI mill spec etc. If I remember my history correctly during WW1 the USA did not have machine guns to the quanity they needed so we were supplied by the French with their gun the problem with theirs was parts were not interchangeable within the same model but different gun so mil spec came about that no matter who made the firearm ie: Colt, Ithaca, Singer etc the parts were interchangeable between models I could be wrong but I thought that what mill spec was orignally for. Thanks again this an interesting forum.

Grease Monkey
05-09-12, 10:20
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

This may be what you're looking for.....

Also, try the orange search button up top.

djmorris
05-09-12, 10:22
First, do a search.

The term "mil-spec" is just referring to a minimum set of standards. In a nutshell, that means your Rock River does not meet the minimum standards of a combat weapon for the US Military. It's not even remotely close.

It's not just the staking; it's a variety of things. The materials used, castle nut staking, gas key staking, over-gassed (more wear on the weapon), commercial spec receiver extensions, no preventive testing such as HPT/MPI, M4 feedramps, barrel twist rate, etc -- Honestly it's quite a long list and also quality control in general plays a part in that.

No Rock River meets the minimum standards. No offense but they are suitable for no more than what you said.... punching paper.....

C4IGrant
05-09-12, 10:31
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56063

C4

oldgus3836
05-09-12, 10:35
I did use the search I did not get what I wanted. I never said my RRA was mil spec. Basical the post is two seperate topics.

Grizzly16
05-09-12, 10:43
I did use the search I did not get what I wanted. I never said my RRA was mil spec. Basical the post is two seperate topics.
Yes,mil spec ensures parts interchange.

And Grant's linked thread (and others) answer why milspec is important for quality/durability.

C4IGrant
05-09-12, 10:46

I think you question isn't fully clear.

If your intended purpose for your RRA is to:

A. Look at
B. Impress friends/Relatives
C. Shoot at varmints
D. Shoot at cans

Then it matters NOT that it follows any known quality standard.

When we get into guns that we are going to bet our lives on, we start to think about the importance of set standards or guidelines to follow to help ensure the most reliable weapon possible.

C4

SteadyUp
05-09-12, 10:48

Read through the Knowledge Base (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355) threads. Look at the comparison chart, and refer to the explanation of features. That will explain why RRA is considered less than stellar here.

oldgus3836
05-09-12, 11:07
The RRA is DCM model that I bought at Camp Perry after taking the SAFS class I knew nothing abour AR's it had a better trigger than the rifles that we used in class. The only models that they sold at Camp Perry were Armalite, DPMS, RRA and maybe Olympic arms this was back in 2002 or 3. Before the class I had no desire to own an Ar but after the class I thought they were kind of a neat rifle so what the heck I bought one I have shot 3 shot groups that can be covered by a quarter at 200 yds. I may have 500 rounds thru it. I bought it to shoot at Camp Perry service rifle matches. As I learn more about these types of rifles I add to my arsena/collection. So can I change the bolt and other parts to get a better rifle or just shoot it for it's intended purpose as a match type rifle. I shoot for fun and enjoyment I visit these forums for information from folks who know more than I. I use the search function but it never seems to give the right answers but it has occasionally. If everytime someone asks a question and the answer is use the search button what is the point of the forum I can use google and search the whole internet. Forums are suppose to be places well like minded people can ask questions and hopefully learn and discuss familiar topics. I apologize if my questions are simple but this ar stuff is relatively new to me.

rob_s
05-09-12, 11:13
The RRA is DCM model that I bought at Camp Perry after taking the SAFS class I knew nothing abour AR's it had a better trigger than the rifles that we used in class. The only models that they sold at Camp Perry were Armalite, DPMS, RRA and maybe Olympic arms this was back in 2002 or 3. Before the class I had no desire to own an Ar but after the class I thought they were kind of a neat rifle so what the heck I bought one I have shot 3 shot groups that can be covered by a quarter at 200 yds. I may have 500 rounds thru it. I bought it to shoot at Camp Perry service rifle matches. As I learn more about these types of rifles I add to my arsena/collection. So can I change the bolt and other parts to get a better rifle or just shoot it for it's intended purpose as a match type rifle. I shoot for fun and enjoyment I visit these forums for information from folks who know more than I. I use the search function but it never seems to give the right answers but it has occasionally. If everytime someone asks a question and the answer is use the search button what is the point of the forum I can use google and search the whole internet. Forums are suppose to be places well like minded people can ask questions and hopefully learn and discuss familiar topics. I apologize if my questions are simple but this ar stuff is relatively new to me.

I see that you are a "give me a fish" kind of guy. This forum is... used to be a "teach me how to fish" kind of place.

You are right, forums are for discussing. Typically you either want to add to an existing thread on the topic or simply search and you will find your answers. Others prefer the "I'm a special snowflake and refuse to search" approach.

oldgus3836
05-09-12, 11:31
I read your list Robs that you posted. Thanks very informative. I am not trying to be annoying just can never find what I want when I search. But your thread is very good on Oh no I bought this or that. So basically I am going to shoot my RRA until it breaks and if the Zombies come I will use it till it brakes then grab my Colt. I am kind of like Oddball in the movie Kelly's Heroes When Telly Salavas asked him where is the tank he replies it's broke Why aren't you fixing it. And the classic answer "Hey man I only drive em I don't fix em". Thanks again for your help and answers. I wll try to use the search more often. Gus

rushca01
05-09-12, 12:00
I see that you are a "give me a fish" kind of guy. This forum is... used to be a "teach me how to fish" kind of place.
You are right, forums are for discussing. Typically you either want to add to an existing thread on the topic or simply search and you will find your answers. Others prefer the "I'm a special snowflake and refuse to search" approach.

That's signature line material!

Positive Displacement
05-09-12, 12:12

I have two Rock Rivers... Sold the upper, BCG and charging handle for 360.00. Next I bought two BCM 16" mid-length systems, with spikes tactical HPT/MPI BCG and BCM charging handles. The RR NM-2 stage trigger has worked well, I have an LMT SST in the other one. Mil-spec buffer tubes also. I wouldn't trust a complete Rock River, even for coyotes or prarie dogs.

I've never looked back.

Also, read a bunch and post little.

JSantoro
05-09-12, 12:50
I did use the search I did not get what I wanted.

Some folks here have directed to what you need, meaning references to where this has been discused before, i.e., mil-spec, what it means, how it applies to what the market offers, be it a premium firearm or one that brings to mind a chick so nasty that you wouldn't bone her even if you were angry at your wedding tackle for some odd reason.

You're not "starting anything" with the question, in and of itself (generally, other folks will do that FOR you...! ;) ). But, it's a rehash/duplicate of existing discussions, and we try to avoid that where we may.

The reference to the Knowledge Base thread here in AR GD is valid; see also the stickied thread by the same title found in the AR Technical subforum, which contains even more sources. One must ask oneself,"Am I the first guy to ask this question?" The most objective of folks realize that the answer is, far more often than not, "No," so some topics bear being centralized in the form of the stuck threads, and members are heavily encouraged to utilize the two Search functions.

An inactive thread may be revived IF it's to ask a new question, seek clarification, or add new info. It's only "necroposting" if the post is non-additive.