PDA

View Full Version : Colt Combat Commander

Scoby
05-09-12, 11:20
I’ve always wanted a 1911 .45 acp. Beautiful handguns and the .45 is a deadly round.
I’ve done some research on these but probably not enough. I have friends that have 1911s, Colts, RRA, Kimbers, and have shot them all including a compact Kimber.

Don’t like the compact 1911s at all. The full sizes are great and handle / shoot really nice, but just seem to be a little large to CC on the hip.

I picked this up the other day after handling it. It was one of those…damn this is nice and has potential….got to have it moments. I think I got a good deal on it too from everything else I’ve seen.
Purported to be a 1970s model Combat Commander. Serial No. starts with 70BSXXXX. Anyone know if this may be correct or how I can find out?

From a cosmetic standpoint the pistol is in great shape if it is really 35+ years old.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/CComrightside.jpg
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/CComleftside.jpg

I knew even before the purchase that it presented two issues for me.
The trigger is terrible compared to the other 1911s I’ve shot.
The sights suck due to my older eyes. Or maybe my eyes suck and I can’t see shit is more like it.

I don’t know that I want to modify this pistol to the point that I could not return it to its’ original condition. Any thoughts on this? Concerning myself over nothing?

Any recommendations for trigger/sights based on the above consideration if it should be a consideration?

I’ve only had a chance to put two mags / 14 rds through it yesterday. I know I need to shoot it more and will when time allows. And, when I get some more mags. Had a malfunction on both strings I shot and each malfunction was exactly the same…..failure to feed the last round in the mag. It is the only mag that I currently have and appears to be the original Colt magazine. Weak mag spring is what I’m thinking due to the age. Good assumption?

I’ll be getting 2 or 3 more mags or course and I know everyone has their favorites. 8 rd Wilsons, McCormicks, new Colts? What do you think? Six of one, half dozen of the other?

Haven’t done any research or a search on here for belt holsters yet but, if anyone has a recommendation I’d like to hear it.

krm375
05-09-12, 12:57
Nice looking Colt,
I have two older series 70 Colts that I sent to Novaks to give them a few upgrades, not a full tune up, but a few modern additions to make them a little better shooters. I kept the original hammer, and added a slim but ambi safety, and beavertail with the adjustable Novak sights.
A few new mags from whomever you like, Novak, Wilson, etc.
I like FISTinc. holsters they have many to choose from.

http://www.novaksights.com/photogallery/photo1911.html

jeffreywt
05-09-12, 18:17
The full sizes are great and handle / shoot really nice, but just seem to be a little large to CC on the hip.

The combat commander has a steel, full size frame. The difference is about .75" of slide and barrel. In my experience, in a holster with 10 deg cant, they carry the same. In a straight drop, it might be noticed when sitting down.

I picked this up the other day after handling it. It was one of those…damn this is nice and has potential….got to have it moments. I think I got a good deal on it too from everything else I’ve seen.
Purported to be a 1970s model Combat Commander. Serial No. starts with 70BSXXXX. Anyone know if this may be correct or how I can find out?

I'd call Colt or perhaps message Brent on the m1911.org forums (he is active there and works at Colt CS).

I don’t know that I want to modify this pistol to the point that I could not return it to its’ original condition. Any thoughts on this? Concerning myself over nothing?

If you want to keep resale value, leave it be. Otherwise if it's a keeper, I'd do what makes you happy.

Weak mag spring is what I’m thinking due to the age. Good assumption?

I’ll be getting 2 or 3 more mags or course and I know everyone has their favorites. 8 rd Wilsons, McCormicks, new Colts? What do you think? Six of one, half dozen of the other?

Wilson 47D (or ETM), Tripp Research, or McCormick power mags should solve that issue.

Haven’t done any research or a search on here for belt holsters yet but, if anyone has a recommendation I’d like to hear it.

I don't carry a 1911 often, but when I do, it's in a Milt Sparks VMII.

http://i.imgur.com/JEHyO.jpg

theJanitor
05-09-12, 20:04
look here for Combat Commander. It could be a few different years in the 1970's

http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

Sam
05-09-12, 20:18
If you plan to shoot that stock Commander for any length of time, you will notice the webbing between your thumb and index finger will be hurting. That short grip safety tang with the ultra sharp Colt factory edge will cut you. Since you don't want to permanently alter this gun, you should consider installing a drop in Wilson beavertail grip safety made for the commander. It should fit and not leave an unsightly gap, it will make your hand feel much better.

Get Wilson magazines.

kingkroupa
05-09-12, 23:51
If you plan to shoot that stock Commander for any length of time, you will notice the webbing between your thumb and index finger will be hurting. That short grip safety tang with the ultra sharp Colt factory edge will cut you. Since you don't want to permanently alter this gun, you should consider installing a drop in Wilson beavertail grip safety made for the commander. It should fit and not leave an unsightly gap, it will make your hand feel much better.

Get Wilson magazines.

Agreed, it was painful to shoot mine with the stock grip safety. I replaced it with the Wilson drop in beavertail and it's all better. I did have to do some fitting on the engagement tab but nothing major.

Scoby
05-14-12, 08:30
Thanks for the input.

I've shot this another 100 rds since my first post.

The sights on this pistol will have to go. It is my eyes I know but, it is what it is.

I can't get over the trigger. I know it can be corrected but, I'm not sure just how much, if any, modifications I'd want to make to this pistol.

The FTF the last round continued to be an issue although not every time. Got some Wilson 47Ds on the way. They seem to be the most highly recommended everywhere I've looked.

Sam you are correct. The grip safety does have alittle bite to it. This mod would be further on down the wish list but one I'd want to make.

Cash investment for all of this has become a major consideration for me.

Now, after saying ALL OF THAT.

I have since gotten my hands on a Colt Goverment Model XSE which is a full size 1911. Got it for close to the same money I paid for the Commander.

Much cleaner / lighter trigger, Novak sights (really big improvement), ambidextrous saftey, nice beavertail grip safety, double diamond grips and no FTFs.

Handles and shoots really well.
I've since determined that the larger size is not going to be as big of a consideration as I thought.
I'll carry this only when I can wear my shirt out or have a jacket, etc.. on. Not really a big deal.

I now have a firearm that really needs no modifications for my needs and requires no further outlay of cash.

So.....as the way some firearm acquisitions / dispositions can sometimes go....the commander is now for sale.

VooDoo6Actual
05-14-12, 10:31
Great story epilogue.

Welcome to the enigma & conundrum of 1911's.

I have several in my litter. They ALL seem to be my favorite.

Scoby
05-15-12, 08:29
Great story epilogue.

Welcome to the enigma & conundrum of 1911's.

I have several in my litter. They ALL seem to be my favorite.

Yes they are a mystery and the choices a person has in purchasing a 1911 nowadays is overwhelming. Even when basing a puchase on very specific needs. Seems everyone is making a 1911 these days in every configuration imaginable.

The XSE and I now need to become familiar friends.

wetidlerjr
05-15-12, 17:55
Get Wilson magazines.

It depends on your grip. I've never had that problem but, then again, I don't use the ultra-high handhold that everyone thinks is needed with a 1911. The Wilson "drop-in" will work with little gap with most (but not all) pistols and it will, most likely, still need some fitting.
I second the Wilson mags but you can also convert the Colt mags with Wilson kits.

wetidlerjr
05-15-12, 18:00
Thanks for the input.
I've shot this another 100 rds since my first post.
The sights on this pistol will have to go. It is my eyes I know but, it is what it is.
I can't get over the trigger. I know it can be corrected but, I'm not sure just how much, if any, modifications I'd want to make to this pistol.
The FTF the last round continued to be an issue although not every time. Got some Wilson 47Ds on the way. They seem to be the most highly recommended everywhere I've looked.
Sam you are correct. The grip safety does have alittle bite to it. This mod would be further on down the wish list but one I'd want to make.
Cash investment for all of this has become a major consideration for me.
Now, after saying ALL OF THAT.
I have since gotten my hands on a Colt Goverment Model XSE which is a full size 1911. Got it for close to the same money I paid for the Commander.
Much cleaner / lighter trigger, Novak sights (really big improvement), ambidextrous saftey, nice beavertail grip safety, double diamond grips and no FTFs.
Handles and shoots really well.
I've since determined that the larger size is not going to be as big of a consideration as I thought.
I'll carry this only when I can wear my shirt out or have a jacket, etc.. on. Not really a big deal.
I now have a firearm that really needs no modifications for my needs and requires no further outlay of cash.
So.....as the way some firearm acquisitions / dispositions can sometimes go....the commander is now for sale.

Keep the Commander. Have a good 'smith switch out the sights for something newer (bigger), lighten up the trigger and have TWO great pistols! :D

Scoby
05-15-12, 20:54
Keep the Commander. Have a good 'smith switch out the sights for something newer (bigger), lighten up the trigger and have TWO great pistols! :D

Don't think I haven't thought about it but, as it stands now, the budget will not allow it. :no:

samuse
05-15-12, 23:46
I've always thought the Combat Commander, hell any Commander was a dumb idea.

You get all the negatives of a full size gun, with added negatives of shortening the original design. Genius.

I love a good 1911 (have spent a LOT of $ on 'em), but using one for anything other than a range toy is just a bad idea.

Scoby
05-16-12, 06:55

You get all the negatives of a full size gun, with added negatives of shortening the original design. Genius.

I love a good 1911 (have spent a LOT of $ on 'em), but using one for anything other than a range toy is just a bad idea.

Can't speak for your first two comments. I don't have that much experience with the 1911. I do know that I like the size of the commander even though it is only 3/4" shorter than a full size.
I would keep this one if I had the expendable cash to upgrade it.

I would think that there are alot of veterans from WWI thru Vietnam that would disagree with your last comment.

I have no doubt that there were some that hated it as well.

DNS
05-26-12, 18:06
It was common back in the 70's after you bought a colt to take it to a gunsmith and have the feed ramps polished. Even the gold cup would't feed anything but fmj. most of the time. When the 80's series came out colt started polishing the ramps so they would feed better.

Gun
05-26-12, 18:34

Having them in several major conflicts was probably a bad idea as well.:rolleyes:

wetidlerjr
05-27-12, 06:22

Having them in several major conflicts was probably a bad idea as well.:rolleyes:

Yeah, the fact that they are still used in combat and personal defense all over the world is not good either.
Nothing like the wisdom of a troll to liven things up. :D

g5m
05-27-12, 10:46

With that serial number it certainly should be a Series 70.

With a steel frame/receiver--use a magnet-- it is a Combat Commander. With a nonmagnetic frame it would be aluminum and be a Commander.

It may need a trigger job and slight gunsmithing attention, as mentioned. It will probably be very reliable.

VooDoo6Actual
05-27-12, 11:36
Somebody always has to put a turd in a punchbowl at a good party...

wetidlerjr
05-27-12, 14:19
With that serial number it certainly should be a Series 70.
With a steel frame/receiver--use a magnet-- it is a Combat Commander. With a nonmagnetic frame it would be aluminum and be a Commander.
It may need a trigger job and slight gunsmithing attention, as mentioned. It will probably be very reliable.

Commanders (Combat or otherwise) are either pre-Series 80 or Series 80.

g5m
05-28-12, 11:42
Okay. But, common usage and the Blue Book both seem to break them down into
"pre-70 Series" manf 1950-69,
Series 70 manf 1970-83 0r, for steel 1971-80

and Series 80.

Not trying to be argumentative just using standard nomenclature, even though I don't recall any significant difference between the pre-70- and 70 series. I IRC the serial numbers and slide markings vary. And, values seem to vary.
Pre 70 seems to be better finished.

wetidlerjr
05-28-12, 18:57
Okay. But, common usage and the Blue Book both seem to break them down into
"pre-70 Series" manf 1950-69,
Series 70 manf 1970-83 0r, for steel 1971-80
and Series 80.
Not trying to be argumentative just using standard nomenclature, even though I don't recall any significant difference between the pre-70- and 70 series. I IRC the serial numbers and slide markings vary. And, values seem to vary.
But, my pre 70 seems to be better finished.

With Colt Commanders it's "pre-Series 80" or Series 80" as Commanders never were a "Series 70". A TRUE "Series 70" (original) had a collet (finger) bushing and an "Accurized" barrel (and were full-size 5" models) neither of which the Commander has ever had and is NOT about any type of safety system as the "Series 80" is. Today, the "Series 80" safety system is found on all lengths of Colt 1911s, including Commanders. Even the new Colt "Series 70" 1911s are not true to the original "Series 70". The Blue Book is, simply, wrong and it is not "standard nomenclature" or "common usage" except among the uninformed. Also, Colt does not help by muddying up the waters with their present day use of "Series 70" and "Series 80" in relation to some models. Some may say it doesn't matter but it does if you are paying a premium price for an older Colt 1911 Government Model or Commander. If one doesn't care then feel free to call it whatever you want including "Series 90" as Colt has on some 1911 type pistols.
Confused? Well, there is no need to be. All you need to do is some research on Colt 1911 type pistols and your eyes will be opened. :D

Redhat
05-28-12, 20:19
With Colt Commanders it's "pre-Series 80" or Series 80" as Commanders never were a "Series 70". A TRUE "Series 70" (original) had a collet (finger) bushing and an "Accurized" barrel (and were full-size 5" models) neither of which the Commander has ever had and is NOT about any type of safety system as the "Series 80" is. Today, the "Series 80" safety system is found on all lengths of Colt 1911s, including Commanders. Even the new Colt "Series 70" 1911s are not true to the original "Series 70". The Blue Book is, simply, wrong and it is not "standard nomenclature" or "common usage" except among the uninformed. Also, Colt does not help by muddying up the waters with their present day use of "Series 70" and "Series 80" in relation to some models. Some may say it doesn't matter but it does if you are paying a premium price for an older Colt 1911 Government Model or Commander. If one doesn't care then feel free to call it whatever you want including "Series 90" as Colt has on some 1911 type pistols.
Confused? Well, there is no need to be. All you need to do is some research on Colt 1911 type pistols and your eyes will be opened. :D

I'm interested in this stuff...where did you get your information? Is there a particular reference book you would recommend?

g5m
05-28-12, 21:37

Okay. I understand your point. And there is no difference in the earlier and later Commanders, until the slide changes. As stated.

wetidlerjr
05-28-12, 22:31
I'm interested in this stuff...where did you get your information? Is there a particular reference book you would recommend?

Not really although others could probably help you more in recommending a particular book. I picked a lot of good info on 1911forum.com which I consider the best of all forums that deal with the 1911. If you aren't a member, I suggest you join, do some searches and start picking the brains of the "Masters" there. I would ask for the book recommendations there. I often see Collector’s Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols Models of M1911 and M1911A1 by Charles W. Clawson recommended but it is pricey at $125.00. I don't have a copy but it is considered the best by many.
Here is a site for 1911 books. 1911 Books (http://www.scott-duff.com/)
Some so-called 1911 sites are helpful but some perpetuate the common errors like with Series 70 and 80. It takes awhile to know enough to "separate the wheat from the chaff". I'm still learning. :D

wetidlerjr
05-28-12, 22:34
Okay. I understand your point. And there is no difference in the earlier and later Commanders, until the slide changes. As stated.

There are other differences but it would take more than a few posts to get into that. It's an on-going learning process for me and I don't even pretend to be an authority. :no:

g5m
05-29-12, 08:38
Clawson's big book deals with 1911's and 1911A1's. As in military versions. Can't speak to the 'Collector's Guide' condensed version referenced.
If you have a chance to look through the big book you'll see some gorgeous photos of pristine 45's.

Scoby
05-29-12, 09:25
wetidlerjr

Good information. Thanks for posting it.

I just joined 1911.com a couple of weeks ago and have been doing alot of reading. Sooooooooooo much information there to absorb.

As an update. The Combat Commander has been sold.
Here is its' replacement.
About 200 rds down the tube so far without a problem.
Decent trigger and sights. Accuracy at 10 yds with range ammo is good for what I'm capable of.

Colt XSE Goverment Model
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/IMG_1397.jpg

wetidlerjr
05-29-12, 10:16
wetidlerjr
Good information. Thanks for posting it.
I just joined 1911.com a couple of weeks ago and have been doing alot of reading. Sooooooooooo much information there to absorb.
As an update. The Combat Commander has been sold.
Here is its' replacement.
About 200 rds down the tube so far without a problem.
Decent trigger and sights. Accuracy at 10 yds with range ammo is good for what I'm capable of.
Colt XSE Goverment Model
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/IMG_1397.jpg

Great looking pistol and great photo skills, also. :D

brickboy240
06-07-12, 11:33
I have that same version of the Combat Commander, except mine is in satin nickle.

Glad yours shoots fine as is.....I had to swap the ejector and extractor and do some other tweaking to make it cycle 100%. I think I even added a Wilson Bulletproof Slide Stop because I kept getting premature slide lock! LOL

Shoots great now...but a pain to get it that way.

They're quality guns but some of the earlier ones like mine had teething problems. Mine was made in 1970.

Nowdays, you can buy a cheapo 399 1911 and the damn thing will function 100% right out of the box. Sure, its out of spec and made of cast and MIM parts but the things usually run.

Colts are still worth it, because their resale is high and once you get a Colt 1911 to run right....man...they're totally worth owning.

An unaltered early Combat Commander is a collector piece of sorts. Think twice before going crazy on mods. Might be worth more if it was left alone.

- brickboy240