PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Question

scrowell
01-09-08, 05:42
I am thinking about reloading my own ammo and i have a couple of quick questions that maybe you guys can help me out with. In your honest opinion what is a good reasonably priced reloader and what led/powder should i use. I will be reloading .223 rem, and 5.56 nato. thanks in advance guys.

jmart
01-09-08, 06:28
How much do you shoot? Press features (and price) is a function of production rate. Progressives allow increased production, but at a higher cost. Single stage will be the cheapest, but slowest. Plus you'll need to get a powder measure ($35-100), scale ($25-50), calipers ($35) and a few other odds and ends tools depending upon how you eventually set up.

If you go with a Dillon progressive, expect to pay $500-600 for all of the above. A Lee Single Stage kit will run $100. Then you have turret presses which fall in the middle ($150-200).

How much time are you willing to invest? How much do you shoot and how often? And how important is keeping your investment cost down? We need to know those answers before we can give appropriate recommendations.

Powder: Start of with a ball powder. Much less aggravation.

55/62 grain: H335, Ramshot TAC, AA2230
Heavier: Ramshot TAC

tpe187
01-09-08, 07:03
Reloading probably isn't worth it for you, since you plan on only reloading one caliber and since that caliber is .223/5.56, especially if this is just for plinking ammo.

If the intent is to load some hunting or competition ammunition, where you will only need maybe 50-100, then I could see picking up a lee press or go with the RCBS Rockchucker kit. Good beginner set and loads quality, low volume ammunition.

If you plan on doing high volume reloading, I would go with a Dillon 550 or 650 with case feeder. Now these get expensive pretty quickly, so keep that in mind. Progressives make more sense when you intend to shoot a lot and load several calibers.

I started reloading when I wanted more accurate hunting ammunition and didn't want to pay $30 for a box of 20rds. I got the RCBS Rockchucker Kit and that worked fine for that purpose. Then I got into IPSC shooting and needed to reload more ammo and faster. I upgraded to a Dillon 550 at that time. After several years, I sold the 550 and got the 650 because it was auto indexing and automatically fed cases. All I had to do was but a bullet on top of the case and pull the handle. I could reload about 600rds an hour.

In the end, you don't really save any money, you just shoot twice as much. Hope this helps.

markm
01-09-08, 07:45
In the end, you don't really save any money, you just shoot twice as much. Hope this helps.

You indeed shoot more at a cheaper per round cost. It's not the magic lamp that it appears to be. You have to buy a lot more than the basic press. And you don't start to discover all the stuff you really need until you're knee deep into it....

A bench, tumbler, storage containers for all the various in process components, a dedicated area for all of this mess, etc.

It costs a lot. But if you enjoy it, and are in it for the long haul, it can be worth it. If not, buy wolf! :D

Trim2L
01-09-08, 09:54
At todays ammo prices I can buy the equipment needed to load 1K rounds plus all of the components for what it would cost to buy 1K rounds of factory loaded ammunition.

For anyone looking to get into reloading, you don't have to spend a grand up front. Reloading is modular, start small and work up. The Lee Classic turret press is a great way to get your feet wet. For about $150 - $200 you can get all the tools needed to load .223 and then when you are ready you can buy a Dillon.

Trim2L
01-09-08, 09:56

Don't ever admit that to your wife. Every time something shows up from Midway I tell my wife it is a tool to help us save money. :D

markm
01-09-08, 10:18
At todays ammo prices I can buy the equipment needed to load 1K rounds plus all of the components for what it would cost to buy 1K rounds of factory loaded ammunition.

Primers, Powder, bullets, case tumbler and media, crimp removal device, dies, case lube, case guage, chronograph, powder scale, and press??? :confused:

taliv
01-09-08, 10:46
don't forget a reloading manual, trimmer, and calipers

when i started reloading 223/5.56 four years ago, I bought 10,000 pieces of once-fired brass for $300, and similarly cheap bullets/powder/primer and now most of that brass has been fired 4x. My avg cost/rnd was about 7 cents for the first 15,000, and it's been about 10 cents/rnd since then. (i.e. 1000 rnds costs me $100) So, I've definitely saved money.

Part of the problem I've run into recently (aside from component prices doubling) is that i started taking carbine classes and they don't really give you time to stop and pick up your brass there. So my stash has dwindled to about 5k.

My point is that if you're calculating the savings of reloading and you plan to attend carbine classes, don't count on using that brass 5x. Honestly, purchasing cases for every loading makes reloading much less attractive financially.

You should also include the time you spend picking up brass. For instance, if you buy a case of factory for $350, and collect the spent cases (like you'd do if you were reloading) and resell them for $75, then you're really only playing $275/case.

markm
01-09-08, 11:45
Honestly, purchasing cases for every loading makes reloading much less attractive financially.

For sure! I've never bought brass at all. If I need more brass, I buy factory ammo to get it. It's kinda strange! I need to burn thru this UMC so I can make some good ammo out of it! :p

Submariner
01-09-08, 12:29
I need to burn thru this UMC so I can make some good ammo out of it! :p

Ain't that the truth!:D

Before I figured out this fact of life, I bought Remington brass for as little as $.03/round. Most I ever paid was $.06; at $.08, I switched to buying UMC on sale at Dick's, printing off coupons as necessary - $.25/round or $.17 plus one once-fired case.

scrowell
01-09-08, 12:36
I definatly WANT to start out small. Also i do have time, and a place to invest into reloading. I shoot quite often but by no means do i shoot 1k rounds a week or anything. Im not only wanting to do it because of cost but for the hobby... i just enjoy everything about weapons and their accessories. I am looking to pay 500 or less for the major components also.. Thanks for the advice that has already been given i am sure it will help a ton.

Trim2L
01-09-08, 12:47
Primers, Powder, bullets, case tumbler and media, crimp removal device, dies, case lube, case guage, chronograph, powder scale, and press??? :confused:

Yep

extra words to meet the minimum.

markm
01-09-08, 12:50
Yep

You getting your stuff at WalMart or something? ;)

Trim2L
01-09-08, 13:09
Ain't that the truth!:D

Before I figured out this fact of life, I bought Remington brass for as little as $.03/round. Most I ever paid was $.06; at $.08, I switched to buying UMC on sale at Dick's, printing off coupons as necessary - $.25/round or $.17 plus one once-fired case.

Some people just aren't creative. There are a ton of sources of free once fired brass, its all in how you present your request. Most of the PD's around here pay to have their brass removed as does the National Guard (they give it away by the ton) and the ranges. I also convinced all my friends it is too expensive to reload, just like MarkM is doing in this thread, and because I told them littering was wrong they pick up their brass for me. :D I have other friends (Fudds) who think their practice ammo with military brass isn't good enough so they either throw it away for give it to me.

I reload .223 for $.05 - $.08 per round. The powder is all pull-down bought in 8lb kegs, primers are new purchased by the case (5K), and bullets are all brand new from a friend who buys bullets by the skid.

As far as the loading tools, keep an eye out of Ebay, Gunbroker, Midway, Natchez, and your local classifieds. I started with a Rockchuker Supreme kit and worked my from there, but it could be done less expensive if you are patient. I started reloading match grade .308 so mass production was not a concern however knowing what I know now I'd just buy a Lee turret press and go from there. If you are willing to spend some money a Dillon is nice and will last forever (skip the 550B and get the 650 because it is easy to grow out of the 550B).

I reload all my ammo now, .223, .308, .30-06, 7mm, 9mm, 45ACP, .38spc. I even reload my own defensive ammo GASP! How does 100 rounds of 45ACP Gold Dot for the price of a 20 round box factory Spear sound?

markm
01-09-08, 13:21
I also convinced all my friends it is too expensive to reload, just like MarkM is doing in this thread

You have to tell people it's not worth it, or you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Who in their right mind is going to advise others to get into the game, and drive their component costs up?

Trim2L
01-09-08, 13:29
You have to tell people it's not worth it, or you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Who in their right mind is going to advise others to get into the game, and drive their component costs up?

MarkM, reloading has become tragically expensive lately...can I have your brass?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

markm
01-09-08, 13:43
MarkM, reloading has become tragically expensive lately...can I have your brass?

I moved my guns into the garage! I use my safe to store brass now! :D

toddackerman
01-09-08, 14:04
For the overall average best prices for components (so you only pay 1 HAZMAT Fee for one shipment versus multiple shipping and handling fees) that I can find in one place check out Powder Valley. www.powdervalleyinc.com

Outstanding prices on Ramshot TAC Powder ($95.50 for 8#), good prices on WW Small Rifle Primers ($21.50 per 1,000), and Really good prices on Hornady 55 Gn. FMJ w/c bullets ($58.74 per 1,000), especially when you buy them in the 2,000 count ($111.79 per 2,000).

These prices are better than anywhere I can find in the Denver area by a long shot...EVEN with the HAZMAT and shipping charges.

For once fired "Processed" 5.56mm brass check out Scharch Manufacturing. www.scharch.com Shipping is free with $70 order or more, and 1,000 pieces of brass are $76.00.

skyugo
01-10-08, 23:57
You indeed shoot more at a cheaper per round cost. It's not the magic lamp that it appears to be. You have to buy a lot more than the basic press. And you don't start to discover all the stuff you really need until you're knee deep into it....

A bench, tumbler, storage containers for all the various in process components, a dedicated area for all of this mess, etc.

It costs a lot. But if you enjoy it, and are in it for the long haul, it can be worth it. If not, buy wolf! :D

i dunno i'd say it still comes out ahead with current ammo prices.

i paid 27 dollars for 100 rounds of silver bear. steel case, fairly innacurate ammo. match grade ammo can be 50 cents a round...

i can reload for about 16 bucks/100. and that's decent brass case ammo.

yeah it takes time, but i like doing it. i guess that's the key. you have to enjoy it. if you're just sitting at your press cursing up a storm, just buy ammo. i like it though. i've just got a cheapo lee setup. it's very satisfying.

Buck
01-11-08, 02:53
I believe the best bang for the buck in the reloading world is the Dillon 550... It will allow you to start slow and work your way up to several different calibers and loadings if you wish... They have the best warranty, and the press is both easy to use ,and easy to change calibers....

If you buy the 550 it is a one time thing and can handle anything that you may want to load...

Just my .02

Buck

markm
01-11-08, 07:51
if you're just sitting at your press cursing up a storm, just buy ammo.

I've had several of those days over the years!

tpe187
01-11-08, 11:38
Ok, I was bored and wanted to see what some options would be for a new reloader. If you can get your brass for free, then obviously it will be cheaper. Also, this doesn't factor in the hours it will take you to do this or the bench you will need to construct or buy. Hope this helps

As of 11 January 2008

Bullets x 5000 Win 55gr 326.33(PowderValley) Hornady 55gr 282.32
Powder x 5000 H335 2xkegs 229.50(PV)
Primers x 5000 102.50
Brass x 5000 1000x5 reloading 92.50
Shipping/HAZMAT 40.00
Total 790.83
(1) 15.8 cents a round (2) 14.9 cents a round

Pulled 62gr (RVOW.com) $40per1K $200
Surplus WC844 (Patsreloading.com) $99per keg 8lbs x 2 $200
Primers x 5000 $102.50
Brass 1000pcs with 5 reloads $92.50
Shipping/HAZMAT $60
Total $655
(3)13.1 cents a round

Just using 1K instead of 5K

Hornady 55gr x 1000 $64.72
H335 x 4lbs $63.80
WSR primers x 1000 $21.50
Brass x 500pcs from Scharch $50.99
Shipping and Hazmat $40
Total $241.01 + Rock Chucker kit 694.93 to get started
$241.01 + Dillon Kit $1066 to get started
(4) 24.1 cents a round

For Comparison to factory ammo:
55gr M193 from Ammoman.com $389 per thousand
38.9 cents a round
Wolf 55gr from Ammoman.com $289 per thousand
28.9 cents a round

Below is from Midway USA:

Reloading Components
RCBS Rockchucker Master Kit $274.99
Frankford Arsenal Calipers $25.99
Hornady M2 case tumbler $69.99
Cleaning Media $13.00
Media sifter $10.00
Hornady One-shot Case Lube $8.00
RCBS 2-Die Set $28.95
.223 Case gage, lyman $17.00
Shipping $25.00
Total $453.92

Brian Enos website Dillon 550 “Never Reloaded before” package. Included all you would need to start $825 with free shipping
Case Trimmer Kit from Midway $72
Total $897

This is the Cost with paying off the reloading equipment over 5K rounds
24.9 cents a round with (1) components and Rockchucker Total $1244.75
33.8 cents a round with (1) components and Dillon kit Total $1687.83
22.1 cents a round with (3) components and Rockchucker Totatl $1108.92
31 cents a round with (3) components and Dillon Kit Total $1552

Hope this helps with your decision to reload or not

toddackerman
01-11-08, 12:10
tpe....WOW!

That took a lot of effort. This should be tacked for all to see in the Information forum.

Thaks from all of us!

EricCartmann
01-13-08, 17:26
tpe, you need to start your own thread! and make sure it gets sticky, that is excellent info!

markm
01-14-08, 07:50
Yep. I finally analyzed my cost savings on ammo a year or so back.... I thought for sure I wasn't saving much, if any money. I don't often buy components in bulk.... usually just enough to get by for an immediate need. But I figgered I paid for my equipment in the savings on .45 ACP reloads alone.... many years ago. Not even considering how much savings you get on rifle ammo. :eek: