PDA

View Full Version : First grip reduction

Jaxx10
05-10-12, 08:29
Took me a very long time but finally finished my first reduction on my duty g17. it now accepts both g19 and 17 mags. let me know what yall think

BCA
05-10-12, 13:25

Dave L.
05-10-12, 13:56
Nice work!

Jaxx10
05-10-12, 13:57
thanks guys!

ShipWreck
05-11-12, 11:17
Very nice!

WARRIOR84
05-11-12, 11:55
Nice job what did you use to do it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Evan_O
05-12-12, 01:49
Looking good Jaxx! I may have to take you up on your offer.

Guns-up.50
05-12-12, 10:49
:confused: Not to be a dick but why would you cut up a RTF 2 frame?
And it looks like you use mag extentions on your 19 why would you not just leave the 17 if you are going to use extended mags? just wondering your reasoning

but looks good nice work

Jaxx10
05-12-12, 11:19
:confused: Not to be a dick but why would you cut up a RTF 2 frame?
And it looks like you use mag extentions on your 19 why would you not just leave the 17 if you are going to use extended mags? just wondering your reasoning

but looks good nice work

Not being a dick brother, everyone has reasons for doing things. Me included. I cut my RTF frame because its a tool and just because its RTF and a "rarer" model doesn't mean anything to me. The reason for cutting the frame to accept 19 mags is because I like the longer sight radius and with a tac light attached the longer slide and light reduces recoil slightly and keeps on target. I use one mag extension and the rest are 17 mags on my duty belt. I don't fully trust mag extensions as I have had one "pop" on me when I entered my patrol vehicle and it hit my console. I'm 6'8 and I have never had a problem ccw a full size weapon. but I like the fact that both of my duty weapons can accept both magazines. Now instead of worrying about how many mags of each weapon I have in my vehicle and on me. Any mag will work that I have. Like I said everyone has a reason for doing things and mine are purely functional.

DocGKR
05-12-12, 13:08
Well done!

Lot's of folks I know feel a G17 cut to accept G19 mags is the ultimate carry pistol...

ElyasWolff
05-13-12, 14:07
That looks nice.
I just hope it is not an issue weapon and your armorer wont freak out! :D

Good idea though. if you carry IWB off duty the grip is the hardest part to hide, and you gain the 1/2in longer sight radius of the G17 with a G19 grip.

If I can manage to win a G17 at the upcoming GSSF match this is a very tempting project!

Guns-up.50
05-13-12, 20:56
Not being a dick brother, everyone has reasons for doing things. Me included. I cut my RTF frame because its a tool and just because its RTF and a "rarer" model doesn't mean anything to me. The reason for cutting the frame to accept 19 mags is because I like the longer sight radius and with a tac light attached the longer slide and light reduces recoil slightly and keeps on target. I use one mag extension and the rest are 17 mags on my duty belt. I don't fully trust mag extensions as I have had one "pop" on me when I entered my patrol vehicle and it hit my console. I'm 6'8 and I have never had a problem ccw a full size weapon. but I like the fact that both of my duty weapons can accept both magazines. Now instead of worrying about how many mags of each weapon I have in my vehicle and on me. Any mag will work that I have. Like I said everyone has a reason for doing things and mine are purely functional.

Ok I got ya I am also on the guns are "tools" wagon as well, and in that aspect I very much agree with you... On the other hand the more you cant get them the more people want them and thoes rtf are it. I have known people to trade NIB Gen 3s for used RTF's. I also see the functionality looks good
besides on the other hand the more they are destroyed the more mine are worth ;)

coryd
05-13-12, 21:30
That looks really good. The reduction looks professional and the stippling is better than most that I've seen people post.

SteveS
05-13-12, 21:41
WOW!!! nice work!!

Harv
05-13-12, 22:27
How did you reduce the hump? did you use the epoxy/grind method or heat it up and push the hump flat?

Jaxx10
05-15-12, 15:27
I used the epoxy grind method. Next time I will try the heating method but I didn't take enough material off to breach the epoxy.

Mark71
05-15-12, 23:41
Great job! The gun looks great!

Lost River
05-19-12, 09:14
Most of the "home jobs" often look like someone went full retard. Yours on the other hand looks very nicely done. I would carry that. 'nuff said.

Stay safe.

Jaxx10
05-19-12, 11:58
Thanks again guys, starting on the g19 soon.

mark olindale
05-21-12, 23:28
Looks Great! It would appear that you have a new carry gun! Or if you were already carrying it you now have a better carry gun.

msigette
05-22-12, 05:41
Looks really good. You are definitely more courageous than i am when it coumes to modifying my handguns.

SpankMonkey
05-22-12, 07:40
That looks great OP. What type of epoxy did you use?

Jaxx10
05-22-12, 22:29
I used a marine Epoxy. Really any Marine or plastic epoxy will work. But i chose Marine due to it drying white and I could easily add some dye to match the color of the frame. If i had Acraglass i would have used that but the epoxy did great. The only plastic epoxy i could find dried a yellow or amber color and was semi clear so that's why i chose Marine.

kest_01
05-22-12, 22:37
Looks really good man