PDA

View Full Version : WTF did they do to this lower

kwelz
05-10-12, 14:35
I picked up this Colt lower complete for 200 bucks so I am not complaining too much. However after I got it home I noticed this.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2PKl9Gc6J-k/T6wXN-IsIqI/AAAAAAAAAH4/jh2Pd_xJrqs/s834/DSC_0025.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Z9VOM7n2CmI/T6wXRQFv3KI/AAAAAAAAAIA/Li-geEZQOmw/s834/DSC_0026.jpg

At first I thought it was just gunk. But it is hard. As far as I can tell it is JB weld or a similar filler. It almost looks like the poured it in there then smashed an upper down on it.

When I attempted to put my uppers on it they fit but are pretty tight.

Has anyone EVER seen something like this before?

!Nvasi0n
05-10-12, 14:41
Looks like someone did a redneck "bedding" job to tighten up a sloppy UR/LR fight. I'd be pretty sore about that.

kwelz
05-10-12, 14:55
Meh. For what I paid I am not too upset.

I checked with the seller. It is JB weld.
Any easy way to remove it?

TacticalSledgehammer
05-10-12, 15:00
Oh baby! :eek:

I'd leave it in there unless it screws with your upper. I'd try sticking a wood burner in there to see if heat would loosen it up, then try to remove it. Idk

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-10-12, 15:13
I have seen that once before on an Olympic lower I bought. I cleaned it out but it was not JB weld I dont know how to get that out.

Guns-up.50
05-10-12, 15:21
You may be able to use a small grinding bit on a dremal if you have one, obviously be careful not to take too much off.
But I guess it it isnt hurting anything I'd leave it, hell for 200 good buy!

a0cake
05-10-12, 15:24
Q: How can I remove J-B Weld after it is fully cured?

A: When fully cured, J-B Weld can only be removed by grinding or filing it off, or by directly heating the product above the 600 degree maximum temperature threshold.

Sucks that somebody did that to a perfectly good lower. Not that there's anything really wrong with it now as long as it's not retardedly tight...I'd probably just leave it.

The_War_Wagon
05-10-12, 15:28
At least it won't come apart, like an accu-wedge! :jester:

tonyxcom
05-10-12, 15:35
I'd take a small drill bit and drill a bunch of holes into the JB Weld then carefully chisel it out with a screw driver.

scoutfsu99
05-10-12, 15:56
Looks like someone did a redneck "bedding" job to tighten up a sloppy UR/LR fight. I'd be pretty sore about that.

$200 for what looks to be a complete Colt lower.....I think I'd live just fine with that. If it doesn't affect function I wouldn't touch it. If you're determined to get it out, I would send it off to somebody reputable who probably has better knowledge/tools and let them tackle it.

Suwannee Tim
05-10-12, 16:56
The best way to get it out would be to machine it out on a mill but unless you have access to a mill the cost would be excessive. Ain't many chemicals will touch epoxy, heat will work a hurt on it but it has to be pretty hot, hot enough to draw a temper on the aluminum so you don't want to heat the whole thing. I like the idea of a wood burner or soldering iron. The fumes of burning epoxy are pretty nasty. BTW if you ever smell the fumes of burning epoxy from under the hood of your car it means your alternator is dying. Are you going to have it re-anodized?

Blankwaffe
05-10-12, 17:07
Bedding AR receivers is or was pretty common in the high power arena when I was playing.In fact I had my old M15A2 NM bedded by an old Gunny that frequented Camp Perry when I was attending.Seems the AMU had an article on the subject a few years ago as well.

In this case,if the upper fits on the lower and there is no resistance when the take down pin is pushed in/out,then I'd leave it alone and run it.No harm done.If not I'd use a dremel and clearance the bedding enough for the new upper to fit and roll with it.

CC556
05-10-12, 17:10
If it doesn't cause a problem with your upper, I'd just leave it alone. It's not like it's going to cause any problems.

BCmJUnKie
05-10-12, 17:10
Just shoot it.

Its cosmetic....and its hidden.

Its kinda wierd you didnt inspect it before you bought it???

Cesiumsponge
05-10-12, 18:02
Try "aircraft remover" with dichloromethane. I've used it to break down epoxy and strip powdercoating. It's nasty stuff so ventilate well and wash your skin if you get splashed because it WILL start burning like a mofo shortly. The last quart can I picked up was a Rustoleum brand at Autozone for about $15.

kwelz
05-10-12, 19:38
Thanks all. I think I am just going to leave it the way it is since the uppers I have tried seem to fit.

I did inspect the lower. Hell I even took the FCG out to check them. But somehow I missed this. Honestly I dont even remember popping the takedown pin out so I guess I screwed up there.

Also there is. I reason to refinish it. The only real wear is the rear takedown pin and where the CH slides. I dont think this has seen my much shooting.

DJTHEMAC
05-10-12, 21:43
At least it won't come apart, like an accu-wedge! :jester:

This actually. I have heard of people using bedding atmerials to permanently miminize play between the upper and lower receivers

gatorfan605
05-10-12, 22:12
This actually. I have heard of people using bedding atmerials to permanently miminize play between the upper and lower receivers

I'm not a gunsmith, but it seems to just be an accuwedge.....albeit, a permanent one.

DIRTMAN556
05-10-12, 22:19
Ha, that is too funny. Looks like it works.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-10-12, 23:58
You sir have an epoxy bedded lower. Unless your upper wont fit on it, leave it alone. It isnt hurting anything.

robb01
05-11-12, 08:53
As bad as it looks, if its not hindering operation of the rifle, I'd leave it

http://goo.gl/H9XbG

AKDoug
05-11-12, 18:27
Use caution with any chemical or heat removal methods. Funny things happen with aluminum and some chemicals, ditto with too much heat. I'd leave it unless you have an upper that won't fit. In that case carving away enough to allow them to fit is all that's needed.