PDA

View Full Version : 7x57 for hunting

C-grunt
05-10-12, 18:13
My wife has told me she plans on buying me a rifle for fathers day. Locally I have found a Ruger #1 in 7mm Mauser for sale in my price range. Im pretty sure Im going to stick with the #1 as its probably the only gun I really regret selling.

But I am a little concerned about the 7x57 chambering. I know the 7x57 has been used the world over but it seems like its not exactly an easy round to come across and the factory loadings are supposed to be way downloaded. I know I can reload for it.

What do you guys think?

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-10-12, 18:48
What are you going to hunt with it? If you hand load then there is no issue check the ammo availibilty at midway usa. Just off the top of my head its in between a 7mm-08 and a 280rem. In an action like the #1 I dont see down loading anything.

okie john
05-10-12, 19:58
There’s nothing wrong the 7x57. With handloads or European factory loads, it’s hot on the heels of the 270, and that’s not a bad place to be. US factory loads move a 175-grain bullet about 2,400 fps, which is nothing to sneeze at. 170-grain 30-30 Winchester factory ammo does about 2,150 over a chronograph, so domestic 7x57 loads outrun it somewhat. The 308 is a bit faster (2,650-ish with a 175), so the 7x57 with US factory handloads falls right next to the 300 Savage. Again, not a bad place to be.

The problem you may face with an American factory rifle chambered in 7x57 is that it’s probably throated and rifled for the traditional 175-grain round-nose load. That means a 1:9 (?) twist and a leade that’s long enough for that long round-nose bullet. If that’s what you shoot, then you’re OK and the gun will probably shoot fairly well.

But if you switch to lighter spitzer bullets, all of that leade becomes freebore and the rifle may not shoot well. I got around that in an old Mauser I owned by seating the bullet way out of the case, but then the cartridges were too long to feed through the magazine. I know the Number 1 doesn’t have a magazine, but the fact remains that even if you handload, you may have to work some magic to make any 7x57 fly right unless it’s a custom and you tell the riflemaker to set the barrel up for light, pointed bullets. Even then it’s a crapshoot, since most of them only own the long-throated reamer and still get it wrong.

The Number 1 is a delightful little rifle. Why not get one in 308?

PM me if you have questions.

Okie John

SkiDevil
05-10-12, 22:28
My wife has told me she plans on buying me a rifle for fathers day. Locally I have found a Ruger #1 in 7mm Mauser for sale in my price range. Im pretty sure Im going to stick with the #1 as its probably the only gun I really regret selling.

But I am a little concerned about the 7x57 chambering. I know the 7x57 has been used the world over but it seems like its not exactly an easy round to come across and the factory loadings are supposed to be way downloaded. I know I can reload for it.

What do you guys think?

I have an uncle that is an avid Big game hunter and it is one of his favorite calibers. It was a very popular hunting caliber in Europe, it is likely to this day.

Also, my father used the 7mm Mauser in his youth as well and re-counted many instances of far-off shoots taking game cleanly at several hundred meters.

If I was not dead-set on keeping to a minimum of calibers on hand, I would likely own one myself. Particularly, after just seeing the low prices of some of the factory rounds.

I use a .308 and the last time I purchased several boxes of hunting ammo [Winchester Super-X Silver tips] it cost around $45/ 20 round box.

For hunting anything in the lower 48, especially deer sized game, I think that you would do well with the 7X57, a.k.a. .275 Rigby/ 7mm Mauser.

The Ruger #1 is a beautiful rifle and that action is very strong, permitting hotter loads than a bolt-gun.

Good Luck,
SkiDevil

P.S. I have shot the 7X57 and the 7mm Remington Magnum. Between the two I would take the Mauser cartridge, because of the lesser recoil, muzzle blast, etc.

Ammo for sale on-line:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/7mm-mauser.html

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentId=ammoGroup&ammoGroup=1&searchBy=size&ammoSize=340&category=3

http://georgia-arms.com/7x57.aspx

http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=286

Food for Thought:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/7mm.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sensible_cartridges.htm

http://www.norma.cc/en/Search-results/?quicksearchquery=7X57+mauser

C-grunt
05-10-12, 23:51
This would be for smaller to mid sized game most likely, ie pigs and deer. I would like to hunt regularly but the only people I know that are experienced hunters all live out of state and I'm not going to go hiking off into the woods to shoot an animal without some experienced guidance first.

Maybe one day down the road I might take it elk hunting. When I retire my plan is to go on an African plains game safari so I figure I should learn to be a proficient hunter many years before hand.

As far as the rifle goes I guess if I dont find the 7x57 to be what I want I can get the rifle rebarrelled.

Hizzie
05-11-12, 02:39
American loadings are downloaded. Loads from Lapua, S&B, Prvi Partizan and Hornady Superformance are full loads.

SkiDevil
05-11-12, 10:48
This would be for smaller to mid sized game most likely, ie pigs and deer. I would like to hunt regularly but the only people I know that are experienced hunters all live out of state and I'm not going to go hiking off into the woods to shoot an animal without some experienced guidance first.

Maybe one day down the road I might take it elk hunting. When I retire my plan is to go on an African plains game safari so I figure I should learn to be a proficient hunter many years before hand.

As far as the rifle goes I guess if I dont find the 7x57 to be what I want I can get the rifle rebarrelled.

Check-out a few of the local gun ranges because there are probably hunting clubs there within the group. I have seen this in every shooting range/ gun club that I have been a member.

I have only been to AZ a few times, my cousin lives there. From my understanding and limited experience there is a variety of terrain dependent upon which part of the State you are located.

To hunt Javelina or Black tailed deer is not overly complicated. Most use stalk and shoot techniques, looking for likely food and water sources in order to identify likely habitat. Including, searching for tell-tale signs like tracks and droppings.

I have taught several friends basic hunting techniques, and usually started-out with small game first. By learning to hunt small game like jack rabbits with a rifle first it will carry-over to other animals. If you can hit a running 5-7 Lbs. jack rabbit on the fly with a rifle, then shooting a running deer becomes a fairly easy proposition.

There are many hunters who enjoy teaching/ helping others start-out. If you have the Hunter Safety courses available in your area, that is where I would recommend starting first.

SkiDevil

P.S. For the game you would like to hunt the 7X57 is more than adequate.

okie john
05-14-12, 15:45

You'll be fine for pigs and deer (and quite a bit more) with a scoped Number 1 in 7x57, even if you stick to domestic factory ammunition. Given your plans, you should check out three books by Craig Boddington. The first is "Safari Rifles", which is an all-around guide to rifle for hunting in Africa. There's a LOT of eye-opening information in there. The next is "Shots at Big Game", which lays out the basics of hunting-specific marksmanship. And the third is "American Hunting Rifles", which is pretty much what the title says it is.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Okie John

C-grunt
05-14-12, 16:30
You'll be fine for pigs and deer (and quite a bit more) with a scoped Number 1 in 7x57, even if you stick to domestic factory ammunition. Given your plans, you should check out three books by Craig Boddington. The first is "Safari Rifles", which is an all-around guide to rifle for hunting in Africa. There's a LOT of eye-opening information in there. The next is "Shots at Big Game", which lays out the basics of hunting-specific marksmanship. And the third is "American Hunting Rifles", which is pretty much what the title says it is.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Okie John

Thanks. I went down to Cabelas today and looked at ammo. They had a couple hunting loads in 139 grn (Hornady SuperPerformance SST and Federal Premium SP) and some 173 grn S&B and PPU. Also looked up reloading components but couldnt find a die set for my Lee Handloader.

Im going out to OK to go pest control/pig hunting this summer and will probably head back there this upcomming deer season. My uncle up there is a true outdoorsman and avid hunter. They live on a ranch and they rarely buy meat. Im gonna do some hunting with him and learn as much as I can.

Last time I was out there he showed me how to track and stalk pigs which resulted in my first game (other than dove) kill.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/Pig-1.jpg

Pig was about 120 pounds and the rifle is a Winchester 1895 30-06 (his not mine).

okie john
05-14-12, 16:37
Thanks. I went down to Cabelas today and looked at ammo. They had a couple hunting loads in 139 grn (Hornady SuperPerformance SST and Federal Premium SP) and some 173 grn S&B and PPU. Also looked up reloading components but couldnt find a die set for my Lee Handloader.

Im going out to OK to go pest control/pig hunting this summer and will probably head back there this upcomming deer season. My uncle up there is a true outdoorsman and avid hunter. They live on a ranch and they rarely buy meat. Im gonna do some hunting with him and learn as much as I can.

Last time I was out there he showed me how to track and stalk pigs which resulted in my first game (other than dove) kill.

Pig was about 120 pounds and the rifle is a Winchester 1895 30-06 (his not mine).

It sounds like you're on exactly the right track. Where in Oklahoma are you headed?

Okie John

C-grunt
05-14-12, 19:28
It sounds like you're on exactly the right track. Where in Oklahoma are you headed?

Okie John

A bit outside Duncan.

okie john
05-14-12, 19:31
I grew up hunting north and east of there, but that's good country.

Have fun.

Okie John

brickboy240
05-15-12, 12:02
My uncle has a Ruger No1 in 7x57mm and I have shot it a few times.

A very sweet shooting rifle that is accurate and he has taken many deer and pigs here in TX with no problems at all. He uses only factory loads and drops critters like mad with the rifle.

It is light, handy and a soft kicker.

Go for it....I really like that round and am jealous that my cousin will inherit that nice little rifle! LOL

- brickboy240

yellowfin
05-16-12, 09:31
Being on the receiving end of it was what inspired/scared us into the creation of the .30-06. Consider it your personal lightning bolt.

GunnutAF
06-19-12, 12:28
C-grunt
I have it's big brother 8X57mm and as far as power/capabilty for what you want to hunt the 7x57mm will suit you fine. If anything the new bullets available today only make it a better cartridge. Mild recoil good range make it a fine chioce for your hunting needs buy it and be happy. :D

brickboy240
06-20-12, 09:58
I have 3 Mausers in 8x57 and yes, it is VERY effective on medium game like wild pigs. Kills them like lightning.

The 7x57 with good ammo should be great for whitetails and pigs at 100-200 yards or so.

- brickboy240

Powder_Burn
06-20-12, 11:42
A Ruger #1 in 6.5x55 or 7x57 is a classic combo and a fine choice for your needs. Both of these cartridges require intermediate length actions in the bolt world. However, modern bolt rifles chambered in these calibers are built on long actions that are longer than required. In the Ruger #1 action, you don't have to accept excess action length to run long or intermediate cartridges plus you usually get a longer barrel length with a shorter overall length than a bolt gun. I wouldn't recommend getting #1 in any short action cartridge like a .308 just because you would not capitalize on the space efficiency the #1 allows with the long and intermediate cartridges. In the 7x57 your have a handy rifle adequate for anything from hogs to elk. Check out the Hornady Superformance line for full velocity factory loads. I've used SST's on a truckload of whitetails and hogs with good success.

brickboy240
06-20-12, 16:16
I also have three Swede Mausers in 6.5x55mmm caliber. This is another caliber that often gets looked over on the way to magnum-whatever land.

The 6.5x55...like the 7x57 is very accurate and is very easy on the shoulder.

I often wondered why they invented the 260 Remington when the 6.5x55 Swede was already out there and uses a wider weights of bullets than the 260 Rem.

The 6.5x55mm Swede has got to be one of my favorite calibers to shoot, period. Accurate and versatile. If I ever buy another deer rifle, it will be a Sako Model 75 in 6.5x55...no doubt about it.

- brickboy240

Powder_Burn
06-20-12, 18:59
I often wondered why they invented the 260 Remington when the 6.5x55 Swede was already out there and uses a wider weights of bullets than the 260 Rem.

The .260 came about because Rem wanted a cartridge that achieved 6.5x55 ballistics and fit into a short action. Factory .260 loads range between 120gr and 140gr whereas 6.5x55 loadings range between 93gr and 155gr. Same story with the 7-08 as it was designed to duplicate 7x57 ballistics in a short action.

donwalk
07-20-12, 16:24
along with the books recommended above, you might also read "Bell of Africa" by W.D.M. Bell.

Wulfmann
08-25-12, 14:04
The .260 came about because Rem wanted a cartridge that achieved 6.5x55 ballistics and fit into a short action. Factory .260 loads range between 120gr and 140gr whereas 6.5x55 loadings range between 93gr and 155gr. Same story with the 7-08 as it was designed to duplicate 7x57 ballistics in a short action.

Bingo!!

Basically the 308 case necked down to use the 6.5 and 7MM bullets and with modern powders these newer versions have better performance using less powder.
On average the 7MM08 will go 150FPS faster with the same powder than the 7X57.

Wulfmann

brickboy240
08-30-12, 11:49
I once borrowed a cousin's Sako 75 in 6.5x55mm.....man...what a sweet shooting rifle.

If I win the lotto...I am ordering a Sako 75 in that caliber.

-brickboy240