PDA

View Full Version : Clean bolt with wire wheel & drill?

PA Rifleman
05-10-12, 22:07
Is there any damage that can occur if you use a wire wheel brush on a drill to clean the build up off of your bolt?

also, while we are on this subject is it possible to polish your BCG for better performance?

to make it clear, I am poor white trash status right now so starting a quality build is on hold. I just want to see what tips and tricks can be learned to make what I have run at its best.

sinlessorrow
05-10-12, 22:27
Is there any damage that can occur if you use a wire wheel brush on a drill to clean the build up off of your bolt?

also, while we are on this subject is it possible to polish your BCG for better performance?

to make it clear, I am poor white trash status right now so starting a quality build is on hold. I just want to see what tips and tricks can be learned to make what I have run at its best.

NO, JUST NO!!

do not use a wire brush and a drill, if you are poor just use some cleaner and a rag.

i use the CAT M4 tool personally and find it to be a great tool but its $35.

CoryCop25
05-10-12, 22:31
I would not polish the bolt because the hard coat annodizing is one of the better finishes out there. It can also change the thickness in certain areas causing function issues.
You can clean the carbon off the back end of the bolt if you want to but it is not necessary. It will not improve the function.
For someone on a budget, pay attention to the extractor, ejector and ejector spring and the gas rings. These items are fairly cheap and a good idea to have around.

Tweak
05-10-12, 22:40
I would not polish the bolt because the hard coat annodizing is one of the better finishes out there.

I would hope the bolt is phosphated. :sarcastic:

No wire wheels, wire brushes or sandpaper. You can use bore solvent and a toothbrush. On bad ones you can use a bore brush or a .30 cartridge case. Theoretically the carbon should be self limiting but I've seen two hard use rifles fail in classes (both with duty Black Hills) from too much carbon preventing the bolt from telescoping into the locked position. Doesn't need to be spotless, doesn't hurt to clean it.

As for polishing the BCG, just shoot it, the rough spots will polish out.

CoryCop25
05-10-12, 22:43
I would hope the bolt is phosphated. :sarcastic:

that's what I meant.

Iraqgunz
05-10-12, 23:06
Why don't you spend some time READING the various stickied threads here about cleaning and maintenance. There is alot of information there.

You will discover that all you need to do is keep your bolt nice and wet when shooting and most all of your carbon build up will disappear.

Littlelebowski
05-10-12, 23:56
If you're poor, stop doing damage to what you own in name of aesthetics.

Beat Trash
05-11-12, 08:58
Most of up poor guys use a thing called "elbow grease". Works well, along with a tooth brush and some solvent as far as cleaning goes.
I learned about cleaning the M16/AR system 30 years ago in a place called Paris Island, South Carolina. This was a time and place where the concept of a clean gun was pushed by individuals who were fanatics about the topic. Or actually whatever is one step past fanatic.

Elbow grease was used in large quantities.

I still keep my guns clean, but I know it's not necessary for the gun to function. As previously mentioned, keep it wet and you're good.

You can educate yourself here for free. The knowledge you can obtain by reading and searching topics can safe you a lot of time and money once you are ready to buy a carbine.

WARRIOR84
05-11-12, 09:30
I agree with the previous poster just use a brush and some solvent and some elbow grease never hurt anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

wahoo95
05-11-12, 09:51
Why don't you spend some time READING the various stickied threads here about cleaning and maintenance. There is alot of information there.

You will discover that all you need to do is keep your bolt nice and wet when shooting and most all of your carbon build up will disappear.

Yep....using a good lube prevents the carbon from sticking up and makes clean up easy. Also keeps things running reliably.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

crh428
05-11-12, 10:01
This is why the Army has so many unreliable guns.

I like to call it "destructive maintenance"

devinsdad
05-11-12, 11:29
Cartrage case works great for the areas where the carbon is a bit too stubbron. The brass isn't gonna hurt hardened steel. Lot of tools out there to use, but a case is cheap and works great.

JSantoro
05-11-12, 12:06
White trash = troglodyte, in which case, we have a stickied thread just for you, in the AR Technical subforum: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61505

Or, one could use the keyword "cleaning" in either of the Search functions....