PDA

View Full Version : M&P Thumb Safety

rickp
05-11-12, 10:37
I removed the thumb safety off my M&P.45 and I'm curious if anyone has had any issues with their gun after doing the same.

I still need to test fire the gun just to make sure before I start carrying it, but I would like to know of any issues before hand. I don't really forsee any problems but would like to check any way.

R.

05-11-12, 11:19
I removed the safety from my 9 last year and have never had a problem. But it is not a carry gun for me. It is the only pistol I have and I only use it for range and USPSA matches.

cgcorrea
05-11-12, 12:03
I removed the TS from my M&P 45 about four months into owning it, after ordering the gap fillers from S&W. I carried it like that for a while, but in the end I decided to just put the TS back on. Just for added safety value, since it didn't affect the way I gripped the gun(It did at first, due to an impropper grip, but a few savvy M4C members locked me on:big_boss:, and helped me correct the issue.) or my ability to manage recoil, and deactivating it was just a part of the draw stroke. Not that I'm a stickler for manual safeties. But since I had that option, I figured I'd take advantage of it. I have since switched to 9mm Glocks. One negative thing that I did note, is that with the TS on the gun, I couldn't reach the slide release with my shooting hand thumb.

arcticlightfighter
05-12-12, 11:35
I removed the TS from both of my .45's. Both are carry/duty guns. I installed the frame plugs which was a little tricky as I had to wigggle the sear housing up and down a bit to allow one of them to fit. Other than that, no issues.

I also installed APEX DCAEK in both. No issues.

I am a certified SW MnP armorer for my agency but it is an easy fix if you follow disassembly/reassembly procedures.