PDA

View Full Version : LEO choices and advice.

TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE
05-11-12, 10:41
Hello everyone, I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm in the market for a field use rifle and was wanting to hear experienced feedback on the choices I have available and/or approved for deployment.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or feedback would be most welcome.

I have the choice of Smith, Colt or Bushmaster in a .223 cal. I am partial to Smith because of previous warranty experience with them, they're awesome. I have heard the Colt may be the most reliable due to some parts being x-rayed and mag checked, although I haven't confirmed this.

Thanks in advance.

adrenaline151
05-11-12, 10:53
Out of those 3, I would go with Colt, no question.
I carry my personally owned Daniel Defense V1 on duty, the rest of the guys have RRA and they have worked well for them.

TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE
05-11-12, 10:57
Out of those 3, I would go with Colt, no question.
I carry my personally owned Daniel Defense V1 on duty, the rest of the guys have RRA and they have worked well for them.
Thanks for the advice. What reasons make you partial to the Colt product?

Chameleox
05-11-12, 11:03
Someone will be along to tell you to search harder. This has been discussed here before.

Colt. I trust my life to one nightly.
S&W does make a decent product (have one of those, too).

Go with the Colt. Along with a select few other companies, still the gold standard while still being affordable.

Read the stickies; Bushmaster is a no-go.

TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE
05-11-12, 11:08
Someone will be along to tell you to search harder. This has been discussed here before.

Colt. I trust my life to one nightly.
S&W does make a decent product (have one of those, too).

Go with the Colt. Along with a select few other companies, still the gold standard while still being affordable.

Read the stickies; Bushmaster is a no-go.
I'm pretty much down to the Colt and Smith. What are your points on the Colt over the Smith model?

I'll do some more searching. Any pointers on what areas to try a search in? I was going to do one in the LEO area, but the Membership criteria required is more than I'm willing to work with.

feedramp
05-11-12, 11:11
AR Technical section. Check the stickies there.

adrenaline151
05-11-12, 11:13
Colt is basically the gold standard in AR pattern rifles. You can search for each of the brands you have available and find endless amounts of info.
In all reality, if you are going to shoot a few times a year at quals and leave your rifle in the bag the rest of the year, any of the above will probably suit you.
I would advise against the Bushmaster because of my personal experience with Bushmaster rifles. I have not had any first hand experience with S&W rifles, so maybe someone else can help you with that.
I know my answers haven't been very specific, but if they were it would take me forever to write the same stuff you'll find with a little bit of searching through this site.
Colt>S&W>BM is my opinion, and the best advise I could offer is to read every thing you can on this site regarding the brands you've asked about. There is a TON of info on here, and lots of it from guys who know whats up. Good luck Brother!

TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE
05-11-12, 11:29
Thanks. I'll continue the search :)

TucsonFX4
05-11-12, 12:01
I don't know what your search words were, but they weren't very good. Bushmaster should never be in your list of options that you will stake your life on and other officers lives on. Smith is ok, I own one. But as others have said, get the colt. Stickies and searches will reveal all the reasons why.

JSantoro
05-11-12, 12:08
One might want to start with the stickied threads at the top of the AR/M4 given subforums, particularly the ones with the words "Knowledge Base" in the title.