PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here experience credit card fraud after ordering online from ...

30 cal slut
05-11-12, 10:45
Crye Precision?

If so, please chime in.

Ned Christiansen
05-12-12, 00:40
I've never ordered from them and have had my card numbers abused in NYC, Madrid, and Dubai in the last three years. Whatever happened to you might not be related to them.

Rattlehead
05-12-12, 12:01
Crye Precision?

If so, please chime in.

Funny you should mention this.

I placed an order early this week with Crye Precsion with my CC, now I'm on hold cancelling my card because someone was using it to buy a bunch of online gambling games with it.

I'm not sure if this is due to the CP site.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-12-12, 22:01
Nope. My only experience with Identity theft and CC fraud came right after using SKD's site. Got me for about $200 at Wal Mart, Sams, and Rite Aide. Luckily, my bank refunded me the money within 48hrs.

Wake27
05-13-12, 02:07
I've had lots of problems but never from CP or SKD. The last time though, the fraud guy I talked to from my bank told me a story of how a guy sat outside an office building and intercepted the signal as it was sent from people shopping online so it didn't even have anything to do with any actual website itself.

30 cal slut
05-13-12, 05:48
Nope. My only experience with Identity theft and CC fraud came right after using SKD's site. Got me for about $200 at Wal Mart, Sams, and Rite Aide. Luckily, my bank refunded me the money within 48hrs.

noted, thanks.

p.s. ARGH

Icculus
05-14-12, 09:10
Never ordered from there but it can and does happen. Mine's been hijacked twice. Could be coincidence but both times it was after an order with a prominent online ammo retailer. Just curious but did your card number get nabbed or have you just heard rumors and you're checking up before you place an order?

30 cal slut
05-14-12, 09:47
yeesh. any which way you go, you're screwed.

Sam
05-14-12, 10:24
I've never ordered from them but have had my credit cards frauded twice last year and my ATM card frauded once last year. So I've had plenty of experience dealing with the clean up after. Although I have no idea how the crooks do it.

My Discover cards were frauded by the crooks, using my card number to make online purchases at various vendors in California (I live in Georgia and never been to the west coast). Both times Discover were quick to act and close the account. I got new cards in two to three days. After the second fraud on Discover, I got gun shy and haven't used it since.

My ATM bank card was frauded and the bank's fraud department (Wells Fargo) actually caught it and contacted me to verify the transactions. The crooks made three transactions totalled over $15000 (which I didn't even have in that account). After the bank verified with me that i didn't make those transactions, they disapprove the transaction and issued me a new ATM card. As a precaution, they told me to close my two accounts that were linked to the frauded card. All of that were a pain, as I had to open two new accounts with new passwords, etc.

The fraud department at the bank as well as Discover told me that there are many possible ways that the crooks could have hijacked my cards:

1)skimming - installed a reading device as gas pumps, third party ATMs, to read my key punches and transmit to their remote readout.

2)my computer may have some kind of spyware virus

There was a recent fraud attack on a major VISA card processor in Atlanta that affected 100,000 customers. There is nothing you can do against that.

jwfuhrman
05-14-12, 10:30
Same boat as Sam, but Wells Fargo is still giving me the run around in $4500 in charges..... when I had no where close to that in my account.... this was 3 months ago....

Sam
05-14-12, 11:40
Same boat as Sam, but Wells Fargo is still giving me the run around in $4500 in charges..... when I had no where close to that in my account.... this was 3 months ago....

Wow. Sorry to hear about your problems. I guess I was lucky that my probelms were resolved in a week. The bank (in my case) was very responsive and helpful.

Hope yours get resolved soon.

Anyway, now I'm not using the ATM card to make purchases like I used to. I don't use it at restaurants, retailers or gas pumps. I only use the ATM card for withdrawing cash at the bank's ATMS. I'm strictly doing cash (which is a pain) business and if I must use anything other than cash, I use the one VISA card. All consumer protection advocates suggest using a credit card to make electronic purchases, as it is easier to make claims on them than an ATM card.

chadbag
05-15-12, 13:22
I've had lots of problems but never from CP or SKD. The last time though, the fraud guy I talked to from my bank told me a story of how a guy sat outside an office building and intercepted the signal as it was sent from people shopping online so it didn't even have anything to do with any actual website itself.

I doubt this. Most WiFi signals in an office building are encrypted (not super high level but still encrypted). But, even if they aren't, the actual online ordering transaction would be done over SSL. I have not seen a website in 10 years that takes CC and is not SSL encrypted.

--

Don't use an ATM or debit card to buy stuff. Use a credit card (and treat it like a debit card -- put it in your check register and pay it asap to avoid the debt). Let the banks front THEIR money and you pay them back. Much easier to deal with when there is fraud involved, as the money as not come out of YOUR account. Even if the bank backs you up, the money is still missing until they get it refunded with a debit/atm card.

--

TehLlama
05-15-12, 13:38
Chadbag is right, SSL is a pain in the dick to break, and even cracking WEP 802.11 OTAR takes a decent amount of time to pick up enough IVs. WPA/2 - yeah...

Citi and Chase have both separately lost entire databases of track 2 data over the last couple months, which is what I've attributed my latest bout of this bullcrap to, and also why their security department actually caught it before I did.

Grizzly16
05-15-12, 13:50
Wow. Sorry to hear about your problems. I guess I was lucky that my probelms were resolved in a week. The bank (in my case) was very responsive and helpful.

Hope yours get resolved soon.

Anyway, now I'm not using the ATM card to make purchases like I used to. I don't use it at restaurants, retailers or gas pumps. I only use the ATM card for withdrawing cash at the bank's ATMS. I'm strictly doing cash (which is a pain) business and if I must use anything other than cash, I use the one VISA card. All consumer protection advocates suggest using a credit card to make electronic purchases, as it is easier to make claims on them than an ATM card.

Most cc theft has little to do with the big guys (Visa/MC/Discover) and more likely came from intermediate handlers or store fronts.