PDA

View Full Version : Planning my first build

weezy101
05-11-12, 12:02
I've been roaming this site for about a month now and finally decided to to join and get some input from you guys. Originally I was planning to just buy a colt or bcm m4 but after seeing all the possibilities I just wouldn't be happy with it. Here's a list of what im thinking so far, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

upper:
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI)
BCM Standard 14.5" M4 Carbine Upper Receiver Group (NFA)
Centurion Arms C4 Rail System, Carbine Cutout

lower:
Rainier Arms Forged Lower Receiver - Zombie (stripped)

I know theres a bunch of parts that im still missing I just dont know what to go with and would rather spend a little extra money to get quality parts then some cheap pos just to save a few bucks. From reading other threads I know you guys swear by bcm but what are your thoughts on rainier arms? I dont know to much about them and really only chose that lower because of the fire select modes.

RGoose
05-11-12, 13:07
OK, first off welcome to the site.

That's a good choice in upper receiver, except I recommend that you get one that either has a pinned flash hider, or has a 16" barrel and you can avoid the NFA issue all together. For more info on the NFA process, check out the NFA subforum.

As for the lower, I cannot speak highly enough about the BCM "blemished" lower I purchased from Grant (a member of this forum) of G&R Tactical (www.gandrtactical.com). You can configure the lower with a variety of stocks, grips, and triggers. Grant only delivers superior service and I highly recommend G&R.

Unless you already have all the tools, building just isn't worth it for most. I happen to enjoy putting rifles together, but I have the mental illness known as "gear head syndrome" and find spending hours covered in grease, welding slag, and ground off vehicle rust to be an enjoyable pursuit.

IYAAYASwarrior
05-11-12, 13:07
What are you going to use it for? What kind of price window are you looking at? Knowing that may help you decide on exactly what you want/need. BCM makes great stuff, I have one so I can vouch for it. Customer sefvice plays a big role in alot of peoples decisions and to me it is worth it to go with a reputible manufacturer due to the service it comes with. Only advice I can give you is get the best available within your range. If you are a few hundred short of what the best cost, be patient and save more. Shoot the $%*@ out of it.

lunchbox
05-11-12, 13:22
I've been roaming this site for about a month now and finally decided to to join and get some input from you guys. Originally I was planning to just buy a colt or bcm m4 but after seeing all the possibilities I just wouldn't be happy with it. Here's a list of what im thinking so far, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

upper:

lower:

I know theres a bunch of parts that im still missing I just dont know what to go with and would rather spend a little extra money to get quality parts then some cheap pos just to save a few bucks. From reading other threads I know you guys swear by bcm but what are your thoughts on rainier arms? I dont know to much about them and really only chose that lower because of the fire select modes.

Man, if I'm going to go NFA I'm goin for 11.5'' barrel not 14.5'' hell just pay the little extra and get it pinned.

weezy101
05-11-12, 15:57
OK, first off welcome to the site.

That's a good choice in upper receiver, except I recommend that you get one that either has a pinned flash hider, or has a 16" barrel and you can avoid the NFA issue all together. For more info on the NFA process, check out the NFA subforum.

As for the lower, I cannot speak highly enough about the BCM "blemished" lower I purchased from Grant (a member of this forum) of G&R Tactical (www.gandrtactical.com). You can configure the lower with a variety of stocks, grips, and triggers. Grant only delivers superior service and I highly recommend G&R.

Unless you already have all the tools, building just isn't worth it for most. I happen to enjoy putting rifles together, but I have the mental illness known as "gear head syndrome" and find spending hours covered in grease, welding slag, and ground off vehicle rust to be an enjoyable pursuit.

NFA really isn't a problem my dad started a trust years ago and had me added to it when I turned 21. As for building it myself I dont have the tools but I have several friends, most in the army, that do have all the tools I would need and I love to build things. Theres just something about putting it all together myself thats really gratifying. Originally I had planned to go with a stripped bcm blemished lower until I found the RA zombie. Most people on this site would advise against going for looks vs known quality but from what I have read RA is pretty good and as i stated earlyer I like the fire select modes, live dead and undead.

What are you going to use it for? What kind of price window are you looking at? Knowing that may help you decide on exactly what you want/need. BCM makes great stuff, I have one so I can vouch for it. Customer sefvice plays a big role in alot of peoples decisions and to me it is worth it to go with a reputible manufacturer due to the service it comes with. Only advice I can give you is get the best available within your range. If you are a few hundred short of what the best cost, be patient and save more. Shoot the $%*@ out of it.

I really only plan to use it for some fun at the range with friends but I do have family in Colorado that has a huge ranch I can take it up there and shoot coyotes in the mountains.I could use it for home defense but I think my shotgun is a little better suited for that since I dont have to worry about the shot going through walls to the neighbors house or kids room. So basicly im just building it as my first venture into this platform, a learning experience that I can have fun with. Price isn't to much of a worry although i would like to keep it under 1200 not including extras like optics tactical grip etc.

Does anyone have a lower parts kit they could recommend?

rhegar4
05-11-12, 16:04
I was in the same boat as you...."1st post"..lurking and reading. They are right to send to to G&R. Grant has the Rainier Lower stripped and you can add parts if you choose(i have heard nothing but good things about his LPK). Rainierarms.com is out of stock..so it says on the site. I was wanting a blem BCM but everyone and their mother is too.( just look at G&R Facebook page). I went with a LMT complete lower to pair w/ a DD M4V7LW upper. He also has some Noveski blem and non in stock...just my newb 2 cents.

Inkslinger
05-11-12, 16:10
This is "custom build" section, not the "hey, what do you think of my list of part" section. That would be "general discussion". Just saying....

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82447

JSantoro
05-11-12, 16:41
The thread Inkslinger specifies is a stickied thread that resides at the top of this subforum.

One should read the stickies of any subforum in which they wish to post PRIOR to posting in it. They're there for a reason.

So long as this thread soon satisfies the guidelines of the cited sticky...it currently does not...it's fine, and better off here than in AR GD.

weezy101
05-11-12, 17:01
The thread Inkslinger specifies is a stickied thread that resides at the top of this subforum.

One should read the stickies of any subforum in which they wish to post PRIOR to posting in it. They're there for a reason.

So long as this thread soon satisfies the guidelines of the cited sticky...it currently does not...it's fine, and better off here than in AR GD.

well thank you for moving it to the correct subforum.

C4IGrant
05-11-12, 19:24

upper:

lower:

If you are into the RA lowers (which I am a fan of), I would pass the zombie BS and get their standard one (which we stock). Then you can get our LPK's and the Geissele G2S trigger (which is one of the best triggers out there and not normally available).

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=RAIN

C4

d90king
05-11-12, 21:36
Skip the silly, redneck, zombie logo and just buy the Ranier from Grant. To answer your question about Ranier... They are a great outfit and I don't recall ever hearing a negative thing said about them.

MistWolf
05-12-12, 02:30
Build a very basic 16" (or what ever barrel length that suits you) with no rails and take it out & shoot it. Right now, you don't know what you want, what's a waste of money or what it really needs.

My first AR carbine started off like this-
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_00012.jpg

Your carbine, whether you build it or buy one complete should probably be configured very similarly because it has what you need to go shooting at minimal cost. As you gain experience through shooting your carbine, you will start to see what changes, if any, need to be made to your rifle to suit your needs.

After putting more than a few rounds through my AR carbine, it now looks like this, except it now has a quick adjustable sling-
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/CarbineSurefire003.jpg

Additions are an Aimpoint H1, sling (not shown in photo) Mossie Tactical weapon light mount, Surefire X300 and a Battlecomp compensator.

Still need to sort out the sling, but everything else is working so far. It's better to start off with a basic carbine and build it up than to start off fancy and having to pull parts off because they don't work or prove to be useless.

An AR is a good choice for house defense. The 5.56 has less problems with over penetration than a 12 gauge with buckshot

PS- Listen to Grant. Skip the zombie stuff and save some money. Besides, zombies have been done to death

weezy101
05-12-12, 17:19
Build a very basic 16" (or what ever barrel length that suits you) with no rails and take it out & shoot it. Right now, you don't know what you want, what's a waste of money or what it really needs.

Your carbine, whether you build it or buy one complete should probably be configured very similarly because it has what you need to go shooting at minimal cost. As you gain experience through shooting your carbine, you will start to see what changes, if any, need to be made to your rifle to suit your needs.

You have a really good point. I have shot several ar before but they were all friends guns customized to the way they wanted them. I do want to build it myself thought as I said earlier I love to build things and as an added bonus it will help me to understand how everything works plus I have my friends to help me assemble everything so I don't do it wrong.

What would be a basic but good quality lower parts kit to go with the stripped RA lower?

johnpuga1982
05-12-12, 17:42
Daniel Defense LPK comes to mind.

rhegar4
05-12-12, 21:18
You have a really good point. I have shot several ar before but they were all friends guns customized to the way they wanted them. I do want to build it myself thought as I said earlier I love to build things and as an added bonus it will help me to understand how everything works plus I have my friends to help me assemble everything so I don't do it wrong.

What would be a basic but good quality lower parts kit to go with the stripped RA lower?

Again, G&R Tactical has the Rainier Arms Stripped Lowers in stock, you can add G&R's LPK ( which you will find on here are very well liked and recommended). Also, if you choose so, you can add the rest of the lower rec. parts you will need.
I havent been able to find a Daniel Defense LPK ANYWHERE..I called them and the salesman told me no parts being sold until late third fourth quarter. I think Stagg Arms LPK's gets good reviews.maybe search it...then as far as availablity the other less desireables...if you r interested send me a pm and ill give you a list of sites to check out.