PDA

View Full Version : Updated Info on My SBR Builds

Iraqgunz
05-12-12, 03:57
I thought this would be a good time to provide some updated info about both of my SBR's just to let others know what has been working.

Both the 11.5" and 12.5" (Kino) are BCM, the 11.5" has a standard upper and the 12.5" has a Vltor MUR. Both use standard BCM BCG's and Mod 4 Gunfighters. Both are set up to use the AAC M4-2000 suppressor. To date- both uppers have run 100% without and malfunctions or stoppages for several thousands of rounds. I have been using Froglube exclusively for the last 6 months or so. I can definitely tell the difference as far as cleaning goes.

Lower receiver consists of a BCM lower with the Vltor A5 set up, H4 buffer and green Springco spring. I really like the Springco springs and recommend them as standard for most set ups.

Recently I ordered an LMT enhanced bolt carrier and was debating whether or not to use it. I know some people like them and I have heard that others had issues. Today I decided I would slap it inside and see what happens.

Firing suppressed I really couldn't detect too much change. I know something felt a little different, but I couldn't pinpoint it. Once I removed the suppressor the difference was immediate. The cycling seemed even smoother than before and it almost reminded me of a 14.5" with an H2 buffer inside.

I swapped things around and dropped into the 11.5" as well and it ran like a champ. Again with the suppressor off it wa more noticeable. Both uppers cycled 100% using M855, M193 and Hornady Steel TAP 75gr. I plan to run some different loads through it to cover a wider spectrum.

In short the A5+Springco (green)+ the LMT enhanced carrier= reliability and a smooth shooting SBR.

Over the last couple of years both have seen changes (beginning with a blue Springco spring and H2 buffer, then H3 buffer and now the A5 set up. I have fired various lots of XM193, M193, M855, Hornady TAP 75gr. T2, Steel case TAP 75 and 55gr., S&B M193 clone, PPU M193 clone, PPU 75gr. Match ammo, PMC Bronze Line M193, and Federal AE .223. Again, no issues, malfunction or anything else.

I also started using my 3rd Surefire 60 round magazine. Thus far all 3 magazines have been used in a shooting course and one of them was used in Magpul Dynamics Carbine I and II. They have proven to be 100% reliable thus far and provide an obvious advantage with less reloading.

I welcome any feedback, questions or concerns.

Brahmzy
05-12-12, 06:53
Thanks for the update.
I just moved to the VLTOR A5 setup myself on all of my ARs (ouch.) My 10.5 Noveske I haven't been able to shoot yet - but I'm excited. It was already my smoothest/softest shooting rifle I own. Hoping the A5 has further improved on that. I've got a few spare A5 buffers of differing weights for testing.
What weight buffer did you settle on for this rifle? Just the std. A5 H2?

EDIT: Duh! Just re-read you're using the H4.

MrSmitty
05-12-12, 08:41
Good info.

I have a Noveske 10.5" upper that I've been running on an A5 system with H4 buffer. The upper runs like a champ but doesn't like it if I remove the o-ring that came in the Noveske bolt. It will FTEject all day without it. Do you think the enhanced carrier with its longer dwell time would allow me run without an o-ring?

On another note, I know you're a fan of the McFarland rings. Have you been running them in these uppers? If so, I'm guessing they mated well with the enhanced carrier?

SteveL
05-12-12, 09:09
What benefit do you feel the Sprinco springs offer over standard rifle or carbine springs?

munch520
05-12-12, 10:48
What benefit do you feel the Springco springs offer over standard rifle or carbine springs?

x2?

A short and sweet 'how to' get your suppressed SBR running smoothly. VLTOR A5, LMT-E, etc. Thanks IG!

Iraqgunz
05-12-12, 15:20
All of my bolts use McFarland rings. I swap them out first thing.

Good info.

I have a Noveske 10.5" upper that I've been running on an A5 system with H4 buffer. The upper runs like a champ but doesn't like it if I remove the o-ring that came in the Noveske bolt. It will FTEject all day without it. Do you think the enhanced carrier with its longer dwell time would allow me run without an o-ring?

On another note, I know you're a fan of the McFarland rings. Have you been running them in these uppers? If so, I'm guessing they mated well with the enhanced carrier?

Iraqgunz
05-12-12, 15:24
I will let the rocket scientists battle it out over the composition, blah, blah, blah. What I can say is that the springs exhibit very little decrease in their length. The one spring in my lower has had several thousands of rounds through it with almost no change in length.

What benefit do you feel the Springco springs offer over standard rifle or carbine springs?

Brahmzy
05-12-12, 15:27
I will let the rocket scientists battle it out over the composition, blah, blah, blah. What I can say is that the springs exhibit very little decrease in their length. The one spring in my lower has had several thousands of rounds through it with almost no change in length.

You or anybody know of anyone that's used the JP polished springs at all? I've been using one for a while in one of my rifles, but don't have enough rounds on it to make a solid thumbs up or down yet.

SteveL
05-12-12, 16:21

Thanks for the response. In your opinion, is it worth ditching a functional, in-spec rifle/carbine spring in favor of a Sprinco, or would you recommend using the original until it needs replacing and then going with a Sprinco?

BCmJUnKie
05-12-12, 16:42
How often do you clean.

Just whenever or do you have a specific round count.

I run the same 2 rifles, the ONLY time I get malfunctions is when I use steel cased, which is rarely.

kry226
05-12-12, 16:57
How does the weight/size of the 60 round mag affect your weapon manipulation, balance, etc?

Iraqgunz
05-12-12, 22:10
Probably not. But when it comes time to replace it then get Springco.

*Warning- this is not a paid advertisement and the endorsee is not an actor.*

Thanks for the response. In your opinion, is it worth ditching a functional, in-spec rifle/carbine spring in favor of a Sprinco, or would you recommend using the original until it needs replacing and then going with a Sprinco?

Iraqgunz
05-12-12, 22:12
Clean? Oh you mean wipe down the BCG and the inside of the upper and reassemble. Maybe once or twice a month.

After a high count class, I tear it down and inspect it close.

How often do you clean.

Just whenever or do you have a specific round count.

I run the same 2 rifles, the ONLY time I get malfunctions is when I use steel cased, which is rarely.

Iraqgunz
05-12-12, 22:12
Not at all. I find it balances very easy.

How does the weight/size of the 60 round mag affect your weapon manipulation, balance, etc?

BCmJUnKie
05-12-12, 22:14
Clean? Oh you mean wipe down the BCG and the inside of the upper and reassemble. Maybe once or twice a month.

After a high count class, I tear it down and inspect it close.

Thats my cleaning regiment. About once a month....sometimes

SteveL
05-13-12, 06:22
Probably not. But when it comes time to replace it then get Springco.

*Warning- this is not a paid advertisement and the endorsee is not an actor.*

That makes sense. Thanks again.

eternal24k
05-13-12, 10:41
Iraq,
did you notice any difference with carbon fouling when using the LMT enhanced carrier?
I have one in my Mk12, and after a range trip, I have thick GREEN carbon all over and the bcg is bone dry. Its even a little stiff to unlock the bolt after around 60 rds. I thought i would have less carbon with the extra bleeding, cannot seem to pinpoint what or why

Todd.K
05-13-12, 11:53
The upper runs like a champ but doesn't like it if I remove the o-ring that came in the Noveske bolt. It will FTEject all day without it. Do you think the enhanced carrier with its longer dwell time would allow me run without an o-ring?

Carbines (especially SBR's) need more extractor tension than the original rifle design. I don't think LMT would design a bolt with two extractor springs if the enhanced carrier fixed all the extraction issues.

snackgunner
05-13-12, 12:37
If you werent running a suppressor on your 11.5" and 12.5" what muzzle device would you go with? Would you add a Battle Comp 1.0 for an even more smooth shooting SBR?

MrSmitty
05-13-12, 12:59
Carbines (especially SBR's) need more extractor tension than the original rifle design. I don't think LMT would design a bolt with two extractor springs if the enhanced carrier fixed all the extraction issues.

Good call, I didn't even think of that haha. Haven't had a single malfunction in 3000 rounds with the o-ring in so that's how it's going to stay!

Iraqgunz
05-13-12, 13:55
I only put a few magazines through each upper, so I can't say for sure. Also, the Froglube is still there so it isn't burning off.

What kind of lube are you using?

Iraq,
did you notice any difference with carbon fouling when using the LMT enhanced carrier?
I have one in my Mk12, and after a range trip, I have thick GREEN carbon all over and the bcg is bone dry. Its even a little stiff to unlock the bolt after around 60 rds. I thought i would have less carbon with the extra bleeding, cannot seem to pinpoint what or why

Iraqgunz
05-13-12, 13:56
If I wasn't running suppressed, everything would be Battle Comped.

If you werent running a suppressor on your 11.5" and 12.5" what muzzle device would you go with? Would you add a Battle Comp 1.0 for an even more smooth shooting SBR?

eternal24k
05-13-12, 14:32
I only put a few magazines through each upper, so I can't say for sure. Also, the Froglube is still there so it isn't burning off.

What kind of lube are you using?

I have tried a variety: CLP, EWL, Slipstream, Synthetic 10w50, grease.. The brass is also filthy. Do me a favor and see if your brass looks any different. Might just be my particular combination. But I am glad to hear your results, I have been wanting to try moving the enhanced carrier to my 12.5", provided it doesn't have the same fouling/carbon results; I don't mind it on the SPR, but I like my "fighting" rifles to stay wet if possible.