PDA

View Full Version : red sprinco too much for 14.5 middy?

kenndapp
05-12-12, 12:37
i am running an h buffer with a red sprinco spring (red = extra resistance) in my bcm 14.5 middy. i was originally going to step up to an h2 buffer but when it was time to replace the spring i hopped on sprinco's website (recommended to me at the time) and saw the red spring. i figured a red spring plus h buffer would apply simaler resistance as a standard spring plus h2 buffer. it has fed every thing well m193, m855, mk318, 75gr tap, ssa, 64 ppt, ext, ext..... but still i worry a bit as i am one of those guys who cant help himself but to clean his riffle after every use. so its pretty much always being ran clean. i think the farthest its ever gone with out a full cleaning is about 6-800 rounds. i heard some where that a red springco spring was just too much resistance for riffles that were not over-gassed to begin with but, mine has been running this spring for about 1000 rounds now with nothing but stellar results. no sign of short stroking, no problems, always locks back on an empty mag. but like i said....the riffle is almost always clean. when i bought the red spring i bought a blue sping (standard resistance) too...just in case. the red is less than an inch longer than the blue. i don't see too much of a difference between the two.

so what do you think? should i keep the red spring due to my positive results? should i ditch the red spring based on crap i heard? should i ditch it because i have been told i am wrong even though my experience with it says "no problem" ?? is anyone else running a red sprinco in their middy??? what say you?

thanks
-ken

vicious_cb
05-12-12, 12:47
Yes it might be too much. The blue spring is already extra power, white spring is standard. You should be running a white in a 14.5" middy. Read:

STANDARD Power Buffer Spring,“WHITE Spring” Equivalent spring load to a “fresh” Mil-Spec M4 Carbine Spring. This spring will perform reliably in any properly configured and maintained 5.56 Carbine, if you wish to maintain the performance of a “fresh” Mil-Spec load spring without concern for replacement. This is the best choice for shooters and purists that wish to maintain the performance of most factory supplied Mil-Spec springs, but do not wish to be concerned with frequent replacement of same or do not have the time or inclination to seek enhanced performce options. The WHITE spring is recommended for 1st Gen M&P's, most RRA's, most Colt 6920 LE's, 6.8 Shortie Piston Guns, and when training with SRTA and other low power and light charged “budget” rounds. Color Coded WHITE.

ENHANCED Power Buffer Spring, “BLUE Spring” Offers improved performance with most non-suppressed 7.5"-12.5" shorties, middies, and all mid-length uppers with adjustable gas blocks. Best performance is usually achieved using buffers ranging from ST-2T, H2, DPMS Extra Heavy . Will run in some RRA'S and some Colt 6920 LE's, but use of heavier buffers may not be possible with the aforementioned as well as most uppers with light weight carrier groups (VTAC, etc.) Color Coded BLUE.

Extra Power Buffer Spring, “RED Spring” Best option for 16"+ barrels with carbine length gas system platforms with standard front sight towers and H buffers, gas piston guns, *some* suppressed shorties, and 9mm. Color Coded RED.

Iraqgunz
05-12-12, 14:12
For all around reliability and shootability you are better off with a blude Springco and an H buffer (possibly H2) at the most.

kenndapp
05-12-12, 14:16
whoa. thank you for that. i must have missed that. so would you ditch it and run the blue? i AM wrong with red spring....obviously. however my red spring results has been fantastic. i am only using the h buffer....so wouldn't that kind of be the equivalent to the blue+h2???

thehammer69
05-12-12, 15:07
whoa. thank you for that. i must have missed that. so would you ditch it and run the blue? i AM wrong with red spring....obviously. however my red spring results has been fantastic. i am only using the h buffer....so wouldn't that kind of be the equivalent to the blue+h2???

Sounds like it is working for you. I'd just stick with it.

kenndapp
05-12-12, 15:50
i think what i am going to do is run the riffle hard (for me that means not cleaning it for the duration of the summer) and the very first time i have a weapon related malfunction i will toss it and throw in the blue spring. i just hope i can keep my self from cleaning the riffle. sound like a good plan?

ST911
05-12-12, 18:06
so what do you think?

I think you bought a carbine that is GTG right out of the box, and you should stop dicking with it.

Nowhere in your posts did I see mention of what you were trying to accomplish by modifying it.

Buy ammo, not solutions in search of problems.

indawire
05-12-12, 18:52
I've had good results w/ my DD14.5" mid length (BC1.5 on the end) using a blue Sprinco and an H buffer. Nice pile of brass at 4 o'clock while using M855, consistant ejection, no dinged up brass, very minor deflector impact. Not quite as good with American Eagle 55gr. I suspect lesser powered loads w/ the 55gr .223 marked boxes. More scattered brass pile and one Pmag has inconstant bolt hold open which does not happen w/ the same mag and 62gr loads. The blue/H combo has given very good overall results, no need to experiment so far.

BufordTJustice
05-13-12, 04:39
For all around reliability and shootability you are better off with a blude Springco and an H buffer (possibly H2) at the most.

+1

My wife runs a 14.7" middy and she uses a Springco Blue and an H3, but she runs NATO pressure ammo exclusively.

She has also lightly buffed the bearing surfaces on the outside of the bolt carrier (bearing rails, side of the gas key, bottom where the hammer rides) with a felt dremel wheel on low speed with no polishing compound. Before doing this, she ran the Blue with an H2 without issue even on .223 pressure ammo.

If you're not running a coated carrier, an H (MAYBE H2) will be fine with the blue.

Rsilvers actually measured the in-battery weight of these springs a while back. He made a chart of it. I seem to recall the Blue offering ~7.5lbs of pressure in battery, the std carbine spring 6lbs, and the Red right at 8lbs. I own a white, red, and Blue. The Red is gonna be too much for anything but problem guns (think bushy with a huge gas port). I only keep it for diagnosing malfs.

As far as increasing shootability, I've dicked with every carbine spring/buffer weight combination available (and bought a Vltor A5...so what does that tell you ;) ). I've found greater benefit with using buffer weight to moderate the cyclic rate than going to a super-power spring like the Springco Red, the Tubbs CS flatwire, or the Wolff XP (I own all these springs too). Going with the Blue and an H/H2/H3 will be better than going with a lighter buffer and a heavier spring. That's been my personal experience.

I make this recommendation with regard to the speed of sight recovery back on target after a shot is taken. And, in case I haven't been clear, the Vltor A5 system does things that the carbine system can't do, both for reliability and for shootability. If you're looking for the best, get the A5 system and don't look back.