PDA

View Full Version : Storage rattle elimination?

Wiggity
05-12-12, 15:38
So how would you guys eliminate rattle caused by batteries and other things stored in the VFG and stock?

I have a few ideas but I thought I'd check here and see if you guys have any insight into this.

Hehuhates
05-12-12, 15:40
stuff stuff in it.

Wiggity
05-12-12, 15:43
What kind of stuff?

Hehuhates
05-12-12, 15:46
soft stuff I've used earplugs and bore snakes. Also cut to fit bandanna pieces.

Jaysop
05-12-12, 15:53
I take cerial box cardboard, rip off a good square. Roll it up into a cylinder, and then aganst the length and put it in and push the cap on. That works for small lube bottles and batteries in tube storage.

For compartments, just grab a ziplock shove what you want in it. And stuff it all in the compartment. Waterproof and enough material to fill the space and eliminate rattle.

Pistol Shooter
05-12-12, 15:56
stuff stuff in it.

:lol:

Well played.

GrumpyM4
05-12-12, 15:58
I always use extra foam ear plugs.

They compress, expand to fill missing space, don't conduct electricity between batteries, etc. And they come in real handy in case somebody forgets their ear pro.

bluecanary
05-12-12, 16:41
Pieces of paper

NitroDave08
05-12-12, 17:15
Lens cleaner cloths.

GTifosi
05-12-12, 17:19
Tightly coiled 550 cord, because you never know when it may come in handy.

Take into consideration that I don't use grip storage, just stocks.

RD62
05-12-12, 17:32
I never use them. I carry batteries, etc on my kit.

I don't care for the rattle or extra weight (not that it's much, but oz's on a carbine add up).

I figure if I need it in a hurry a velcro secured pouch on my chest rig is going to be easier to access quickly then a tube on my stock, unscrewing my vfg, pulling a plug from my grip, etc.

If I did use them, I like the suggestion of foam ear plugs to eliminate unwanted rattle.

Something else may work better for you though.

polymorpheous
05-12-12, 17:49
Cleaning patches.

feedramp
05-12-12, 18:33
Lens cleaner cloths.

Yeah those. A microfiber cloth works well and can come in handy.

krisjon
05-12-12, 18:39
I always use extra foam ear plugs.

They compress, expand to fill missing space, don't conduct electricity between batteries, etc. And they come in real handy in case somebody forgets their ear pro.

+ 1. Cheap foam plugs work great and hardly weigh anything.

badness
05-12-12, 19:46
i like ear plugs. Cause if you go to the range and happen to have left your hearing pro's at home, just bust open your vertical forgrip or where ever and take out your ear plugs. Problem solved lol.

lunchbox
05-12-12, 19:54
Tightly coiled 550 cord, because you never know when it may come in handy.

Take into consideration that I don't use grip storage, just stocks.

+1 550 cord, in combination with 550; I keep ranger bands (industrial strength rubber bands made from cut up tire tubes for those who don't know) and surefire batt. and lost parts kit in my grip and stock.

sjc3081
05-12-12, 19:55
How about a tiny bag of 22 bore patches

duece71
05-12-12, 19:57
Ziplock bag, waterproof and no noise. Like I am ever going to go swimming with an AR.

pira114
05-13-12, 01:51
I use cleaning patches impregnated with vasoline. Enough to fill the void, plus about 20 strike anywhere waterproof matches. If need be, I have some emergency fire starting stuff.

But I started doing this when I started carrying it hunting and hiking. I'm out on foot for days at a time. I carry extra batteries and such in my pack and jacket pocket (other fire starting stuff too). Theory was that if I got lost, and ditched/lost my pack for whatever reason, I'd at least have fire starting stuff.

Probably not the intent of this thread, but that's what's in there.