PDA

View Full Version : Pivot pin too tight

skywalkrNCSU
05-12-12, 18:27
I have been having some trouble removing the pivot pin in my current build. I took out the buffer and spring and it came out a lot easier, like it pushes the upper forward causing the fit to be too tight or something. Even when I push down on the upper to try to accomodate for that I still have trouble removing it.

The other weird thing is if I remove the takedown pin and rotate the upper I still have trouble removing the pivot pin. But if I don't have the buffer spring in and have the takedown pin it, the pivot pin removes pretty easily.

Thoughts?

Sticks
05-13-12, 07:31
Details on the build - Upper, lower, LPK...

How may rounds have you fired?

Who built it - did you buy a bunch of parts to assemble, or just an upper and lower?

skywalkrNCSU
05-13-12, 10:15
It is actually a rebuild of an old build. Upper is RRA, lower is LAR, LPK is mainly RRA except for trigger and takedown/pivot pins. I lost the spring for the takedown pin and decided to get some KNS pins instead since they didn't need them. Not real thrilled with the purchase but it isn't the cause of the issue since it still exists with the normal pins.

Before I took it apart it had a couple hundred rounds through it. The pin fit was always tight but for whatever reason it seems too tight now.

lunchbox
05-13-12, 10:20
As soon as I heard tight pins I knew It was a RRA.

skywalkrNCSU
05-13-12, 10:47
The upper is next on my list of parts to be replaced, I am basically building a completely new gun piece by piece on my old gun so I still have something that functions since I can't afford to buy all the parts right now. Still doesn't really change the fact that it didn't used to be so tight and without the buffer/spring in and the upper on the lower the pins come out fine. Doesn't make sense to me that the pin would still be in there too right when the takedown pin is removed and the upper is rotated off of the lower.

Ramone
05-13-12, 10:59
Still doesn't really change the fact that it didn't used to be so tight and without the buffer/spring in and the upper on the lower the pins come out fine. Doesn't make sense to me that the pin would still be in there too right when the takedown pin is removed and the upper is rotated off of the lower.

That Really makes no sense at all. There must be something else going on.

lunchbox
05-13-12, 11:08
That Really makes no sense at all. There must be something else going on.
Agreed, Skywalker the rear take down detent was the same as front pivot pin detent you installed correct?

Gun
05-13-12, 11:50
The other weird thing is if I remove the takedown pin and rotate the upper I still have trouble removing the pivot pin. But if I don't have the buffer spring in and have the takedown pin it, the pivot pin removes pretty easily.

Thoughts?

This would have nothing to do with taking the pivot pin out, if the upper was rotated away from the lower.

Sounds like the pins are just binding. I had this problem with a BCM upper, and a Noveske lower. Takedown pin had to be hammered in and out, and now is starting to loosen. Nothing to do with the buffer, or it's spring.

Iraqgunz
05-13-12, 13:40
Unless it's affecting operation- leave it be. Every AR owner knows that after time the upper and lowers will loosen up.

skywalkrNCSU
05-13-12, 14:14
Unless it's affecting operation- leave it be. Every AR owner knows that after time the upper and lowers will loosen up.

That is the plan, just odd that I am having that issue now but wasn't having it before. Maybe it got torqued a little bit and that little difference is causing it to be tight. It isn't like I have another upper to switch on it or anything so I can still do everything I need to with the pivot pin in.

Markasaurus
05-17-12, 18:56
Polish it with steel wool or even sandpaper, clean then grease it? Take down pins being much easier to obtain then lower receivers, i'm just sayin