PDA

View Full Version : Colts and 20 round mags?

bluecanary
05-12-12, 18:39
Why does the SP6920 & 40 come with 20 round mags?

Problem with the 30's ?

GeorgiaBoy
05-12-12, 18:43
I don't know, but it's certainly not a "problem with the 30's"

Buck
05-12-12, 19:26
Why does the SP6920 & 40 come with 20 round mags?

Problem with the 30's ?

Due to the advantages of the 20 round magazine over the 30 round magazines in LE use...

B

USA
05-12-12, 21:02
Probably so they can sell them in states like Maryland that don't allow 30 round mags. You can possess them in Maryland, but can't, among other things, buy them in Maryland.

bluecanary
05-12-12, 21:33
Due to the advantages of the 20 round magazine over the 30 round magazines in LE use...

B

What do you mean?

Suwannee Tim
05-12-12, 21:42

B

Do tell.

Ronin64
05-12-12, 22:59
What are the advantages in LE use? Because I'd rather have 30 in the gun and I'm LE.

DeltaSierra
05-12-12, 23:03
What are the advantages in LE use? Because I'd rather have 30 in the gun and I'm LE.

When I'm in and out of vehicles, I'd much rather have a twenty rounder in the gun than a thirty rounder as it is less apt to get hung up on something in the vehicle.

3 AE
05-12-12, 23:23
For the simple reason it's cheaper to provide two twenty round magazines instead of two thirty round magazines for the price point.

Ronin64
05-12-12, 23:26
When I'm in and out of vehicles, I'd much rather have a twenty rounder in the gun than a thirty rounder as it is less apt to get hung up on something in the vehicle.

I haven't had the 30 round mag get in the way when I'm in and out of the car, the barrel is usually what annoys me (16"). I do prefer 20 rounders for prone though, since it lets me to get much lower.

K9 jake
05-13-12, 18:37
It may have to do with this-
Here In VA, anything over 20 rds is considered an assault rifle, and has stricter BGC guidelines and permits

rljatl
05-13-12, 18:45
20 rounders are better for shooting prone or off a bench, but my new 6920SOCOM came with two thirty rounders.

The_War_Wagon
05-13-12, 18:50
For the simple reason it's cheaper to provide two twenty round magazines instead of two thirty round magazines for the price point.

For the win.

Eurodriver
05-13-12, 18:58
It may have to do with this-
Here In VA, anything over 20 rds is considered an assault rifle, and has stricter BGC guidelines and permits

What?

IN VIRGINIA?

robm
05-13-12, 20:35
I prefer a 30 round magazine for prone

Ronin64
05-13-12, 21:55
I prefer a 30 round magazine for prone

You probably wouldn't on a two way range :)

robm
05-13-12, 22:23
maybe so, Isn't using a 30 round mag as a rest against the ground an accepted and instructed method? Doing so gives you a third point of contact. I could be wrong, please learn me

robm
05-13-12, 22:26
by the way I realize I have strayed from the original question the OP asked, I can start another thread if needed

Ronin64
05-14-12, 01:24
maybe so, Isn't using a 30 round mag as a rest against the ground an accepted and instructed method? Doing so gives you a third point of contact. I could be wrong, please learn me

I think its a good technique for extra stability, but I just don't like how it props my head up more in the line of fire. However, I generally keep a 30 round mag loaded and a 20 round mag on my person. If time permits I would switch to the 20 in prone, if not, I would use the technique you stated.

We did drift off the original topic, but I guess that is the point of a discussion forum sometimes?

I don't know why Colt provides two 20's vs two 30's, but I am kind of glad they do since I really like the Colt 20 round mags!

novaDAK
05-14-12, 03:04
What?

IN VIRGINIA?

After that guy shot up the CIA employees outside of Langley, they passed a feel-good law in VA restricting certain "assault" firearms to citizens and legal permanent residents. For firearms that meed the definition* you need to prove citizenship or legal residency at the time of purchase, and carrying such firearm loaded requires a CHP (so things like a USP Tactical with a threaded barrel, you'd need a Concealed Handgun Permit even to open carry it).

*An assault firearm is defined as any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of offence with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-14-12, 04:14
What do you mean?

I'm not an LEO, but I mainly use Colt and NHMTG 20rd Magazines. Lower profile, easier to manuever in tight spaces, rifle fits in carry bag with magazine loaded, lighterweight for longer carrying periods, etc.

Eurodriver
05-14-12, 05:17
After that guy shot up the CIA employees outside of Langley, they passed a feel-good law in VA restricting certain "assault" firearms to citizens and legal permanent residents. For firearms that meed the definition* you need to prove citizenship or legal residency at the time of purchase, and carrying such firearm loaded requires a CHP (so things like a USP Tactical with a threaded barrel, you'd need a Concealed Handgun Permit even to open carry it).

*An assault firearm is defined as any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of offence with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.

Robert E. Lee would be embarassed.

Traveshamockery
05-14-12, 06:19

At the Vickers Shooting Method carbine class I recently attended, we were instructed to use the magazine as a third point of contact, resting it against the ground.

Traveshamockery
05-14-12, 07:50
Double tap.

EW1066
05-14-12, 08:44

If I'm reading this right. This law only applies if some offence has already occurred? Kind of like elevating an assault to a "hate crime"? I wonder if it has its own set of special penalties as well?

EDUB

ST911
05-14-12, 09:28
I've received NIB Colts with both 20rd and 30rd magazines. My most recent purchases have shipped with 20rd PMags. 20s have mertis and advantages, but given a choice I prefer 30s.

Generalpie
05-14-12, 14:08
We just received 5 or 6 new Colt M4's and they all shipped with 20 round aluminum mags. I'm not sure there is really any "standard".

I prefer the 30's when ever possible and use Pmags almost exclusively.

bluecanary
05-14-12, 15:06
At the Vickers Shooting Method carbine class I recently attended, we were instructed to use the magazine as a third point of contact, resting it against the ground.

I did some prone shooting at a class last month. Had no problems with 30rnd mags.

Kokopelli
05-14-12, 15:38
Double tap.

hahahahaha.. That's great... A Classic.. Ron

Univibe
05-14-12, 18:33
For the win.

I'm not so sure . . . manufacturers like Okay (which makes Colt and NHMTG) make a whole lot more thirties for the .gov and everyone else than they do twenties. Economy of scale would dictate that those which they make more of can be sold cheaper.

Markasaurus
05-17-12, 18:36
Because they want you to buy 30 round mags, which is all most people buy anyway in the Free States.
My Stag came with ONE 10 round mag (I'm in the PRK) i'd be happy to be legally ABLE to own a 20.

GunnutAF
05-17-12, 23:04
novaDAK
So was this at the state level or just Northern VA counties? :rolleyes:
Doesn't sound like a state law. Kind of hard to believe since VA is an OC state.:rolleyes:

Sorry pal your smokin crack! I see no such law on the books http://www.ask.com/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Virginia?qsrc=3044

novaDAK
06-17-12, 21:44
novaDAK
So was this at the state level or just Northern VA counties? :rolleyes:
Doesn't sound like a state law. Kind of hard to believe since VA is an OC state.:rolleyes:

Sorry pal your smokin crack! I see no such law on the books http://www.ask.com/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Virginia?qsrc=3044

It's state law.

§ 18.2-308.2:01. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by certain persons.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C01

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

everyusernametaken
06-17-12, 23:13
It's state law.

§ 18.2-308.2:01. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by certain persons.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C01

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

As for the proof of citizenship at time of purchase, isn't that and the NCIC check required anyway? Even if it comes with 20 round magazines, you still have the same requirements for purchase of anything classified as an "assault weapon" here. I understand that magazine capacity can affect this "assault weapon" status when carried, but aside from "having a removable magazine", can the difference between 20 and 30 rounds affect this at time of sale?

BTW thank you for posting those codes.

skyugo
06-18-12, 00:16
20's are my favorite AR mag.

novaDAK
06-18-12, 18:56
As for the proof of citizenship at time of purchase, isn't that and the NCIC check required anyway? Even if it comes with 20 round magazines, you still have the same requirements for purchase of anything classified as an "assault weapon" here. I understand that magazine capacity can affect this "assault weapon" status when carried, but aside from "having a removable magazine", can the difference between 20 and 30 rounds affect this at time of sale?

BTW thank you for posting those codes.

If it's a centerfire rifle that lacks a threaded barrel and folding stock, it would still meet the definition if it came with a 30rd mag, while if it came with a 20rd mag (or even no mag) it would just be a regular rifle at the point of sale.
With VA's second form of ID requirement, you can just use your voter card as the 2nd form, as it meets the proof of citizenship requirement also, meaning you really only need two forms of ID instead of three.

GunnutAF
06-18-12, 21:25
novaDAK
So VA is nolonger an Open carry state? As I said the northern part of the state. Then add in Norfolk as they hated people open carrying- they'll use this to stop anyone OCing just to harass them. I see VA has gone to the liberal side- should have figured as they voted for Obama!:rolleyes: Sad Sad day for a once great state!:eek:

1859sharps
06-19-12, 12:58

B

What do you mean?

here this should help
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54607&page=4

novaDAK
06-19-12, 16:41
novaDAK
So VA is nolonger an Open carry state? As I said the northern part of the state. Then add in Norfolk as they hated people open carrying- they'll use this to stop anyone OCing just to harass them. I see VA has gone to the liberal side- should have figured as they voted for Obama!:rolleyes: Sad Sad day for a once great state!:eek:

VA is still an open carry state. Lots of people OC in the northern part of the state too. :)

Basically if you have a voter card and a CHP, you don't have to worry about all those laws, regardless of what county/city you are in.

K9 jake
06-19-12, 17:12
I have both my VC and my CHP, and I don't worry about anything.
Whether I am open carrying, or carrying concealed. I am legal.
If I'm not mistaken, those without the CHP, can still OC. In the southwestern part of VA, anyway.
But to own a suppressor, that requires a separate permit, if I'm not mistaken.

novaDAK
06-19-12, 18:00
I have both my VC and my CHP, and I don't worry about anything.
Whether I am open carrying, or carrying concealed. I am legal.
If I'm not mistaken, those without the CHP, can still OC. In the southwestern part of VA, anyway.
But to own a suppressor, that requires a separate permit, if I'm not mistaken.

Without a CHP, you can still OC anywhere in the state (minus the typical places like K-12 schools, detention centers, courthouses, etc.) however you just can't do so with a firearm that has a threaded barrel or magazine over 20rd capacity.

As for suppressors, nothing special is required. Just the federal paperwork and tax stamp. The only special thing about NFA in VA is that machine guns must be registered with VA state police.