PDA

View Full Version : Range Report

aceofspades991
05-12-12, 23:26
Hi everyone,

Before I go on, let me say, the rifle which I'm writing about now is my first AR, so none of the tings I say should be taken as expert opinion, nor would I want to convey anything to be taken that way. I write this to serve as a statistic so to speak... (i.e. "I bought this and like it, you may as well.") as well as to thank all of the contributing members here. You persuaded me to get what I did and I couldn't be happier.

I began ordering parts for my rifle back in April, and completed it today.
The rifle consists of the following:

BCM BFH 16" govt profile barel.
BCM Full auto bolt carrier group.
BCM med. gunfighter charging handle.
BCM cosmetic blem lower.
Magpul Moe handgaurds.
Magpul CTR stock.

My friend built a very similar rifle with a 14" barrel being the only major difference.

We hit the range and fired aprx. 100-120 rounds of Federal XM193 through each gun. We began by zeroing out the sights, my friends gun was slightly off and we adjusted it accordingly. I was happy with where the first group was out of mine. I may see if I could get it a little better but right now I figure the variance probably stems from my inexperience from the A2 sights, not the firearm.

My gun functioned nearly flawlessly all day. The only problem we ran into, what that the bolt on my friends gun did not lock back after the last shot towards the end of our shooting session. We sprayed some Break Free lube on the bolt and loaded a round and it worked fine from then out.

A few useful points.

In comparing the 16" to the 14" barrel, there was no tangible difference while shooting them, however in handling them, the 14" was noticeably easier to transition from target to target, I was surprised at the difference.

My rifle has a Magpul CTR stock, my friends had a standard collapsing stock. The CTR looks neat and doesn't rattle while your walking with it, but when shooting, I did not find that the friction lock mechanism made any difference because the rifle was pulled tight against my shoulder. and I doubt I'd pay an additional $40 over a standard stock (or a MOE stock if I wanted the furniture to match.)

I did really like the pmags, my dad has a bushmaster that was double feeding, I did some reading on this forum and learned that usually related to the magazines (which we did not suspect because it did it with several of his old aluminum mags), and when I ordered my parts, I threw in an extra pmag for him. Low and behold, there was not one malfunction with his rifle today either :)

Anyways, thanks again for everyone here helping me select a good rifle.

Ace.

badness
05-12-12, 23:43
nice mang. I just started a build yesterday too. :D

btw....where's the PICS?

ARJ
05-13-12, 00:38
I just went from a 20" to a 16 myself. The faster target aquisition is like night and day. Way faster,I love it.

Butter
05-13-12, 01:34
btw....where's the PICS?

You used some good parts, good job. However, I dont believe it till I see it.

aceofspades991
05-13-12, 20:39
There she is.

aceofspades991
05-13-12, 20:45
Here's a shot of the target the three circled in sharpie was the first group from my rifle. Sorry for the quality, no money for expensive cameras, I spent it all on guns :)