PDA

View Full Version : Hk style stock options

antlad
05-13-12, 03:21
I recently had the opportunity to shoot a 416 on an m16 giggle switched lower. I am not a big piston guy ( thanks to m4c) but this weapon is effing badass. Anyways I was impressed with the way hk designed the rounded butt pad. From the low ready to up and fire was very smooth and much more comfortable than my mod stock. My question is why are there not more stocks designed with a rounded butt pad? Do most of you prefer the flatter styles? It seems that it would be very easy to develop a round bolt on pad for say the ctr or other variants on the market. What are the cons of a rounded buttpad?

Arctic1
05-13-12, 05:31
Having used the 416 for 4 years, and I really like it, the two things I would like to change out on ours are the stock and pistol grip.

I am assuming you are talking about this stock, right:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/hk416rearstock_225_detail.jpg

For me, being of average build, the buttstock is too wide when using body armor, with my shooting style. I like to have the stock in my shoulder when shooting, not closer to my centerline or on the front plate like the butt pad is designed for.

We are getting new stocks, with a slimmer pad profile, so that should be better.

If the stock is convex, like the one in the photo, concave or flat doesn't play a big role for me. I used a CTR stock in Afghanistan, and preferred that over the stock above.

MistWolf
05-13-12, 11:26
It wouldn't be that hard to make one yourself from another recoil pad or other material and figure out a way to secure it to the stock

antlad
05-13-12, 13:48
Having used the 416 for 4 years, and I really like it, the two things I would like to change out on ours are the stock and pistol grip.

I am assuming you are talking about this stock, right:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/hk416rearstock_225_detail.jpg

For me, being of average build, the buttstock is too wide when using body armor, with my shooting style. I like to have the stock in my shoulder when shooting, not closer to my centerline or on the front plate like the butt pad is designed for.

We are getting new stocks, with a slimmer pad profile, so that should be better.

If the stock is convex, like the one in the photo, concave or flat doesn't play a big role for me. I used a CTR stock in Afghanistan, and preferred that over the stock above.

That's the one. $222 is insane for that thing, I don't care how nice it is.
Since I don't wear armor the bulkiness was not an issue for me. I just liked the way it pivots in the pocket. I do suppose I could fab something that would bolt onto a moe or CTR. Might be tough to retrofit my modstock though.

leibermuster
05-14-12, 09:45
I actually prefer that stock in most circumstances, that being said i own 2 CTR's and Sopmod stock as well and they are all fine in my opinion. Much better than the classical M4 collapsible stock that comes standard with most base line AR's. HK is meatier and good for many application but if running lighter the CTR might be better.

djmorris
05-14-12, 10:06
That's the one. $222 is insane for that thing, I don't care how nice it is.
Since I don't wear armor the bulkiness was not an issue for me. I just liked the way it pivots in the pocket. I do suppose I could fab something that would bolt onto a moe or CTR. Might be tough to retrofit my modstock though.

What? Go to HK's website www.hkwebshop.com and you can get it for like $150 or something like that. It's always in stock too. They've got some good products for fair prices on there for sure. It's significantly cheaper than the LMT SOPMOD.

antlad
05-15-12, 02:08
What? Go to HK's website www.hkwebshop.com and you can get it for like $150 or something like that. It's always in stock too. They've got some good products for fair prices on there for sure. It's significantly cheaper than the LMT SOPMOD.

I was looking at hkparts.net (http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-416-Factory-German-E1-Rear-Stock-p52.htm)

Anyone know if these stocks are the same as the one shown on hk's website?

Casull
05-15-12, 03:39
I'm not a fan of the stock. It is a great idea for low and ready transitioning but it just doesn't float my boat with the size and ability to help me repeat a cheekweld under any sort of urgency.

Mission first tactical seemed to create stocks with the 416 in mind, but I only say that because they constantly model it on the 416. It's called the "battle link".. here's an image of it on a shotgun: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Mission-First-Tactical-Battlelink-Utility-Stock-Commercial-Tubes-/00/s/MzgzWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqJ,!rkE88hC-PT0BPY2eH5-d!~~60_35.JPG

It seems to keep with some of the properties of the 416 stock but not quite. Anyway, just putting it out there. I don't personally like it either- although I've never used it.

djmorris
05-15-12, 08:58
I was looking at hkparts.net (http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-416-Factory-German-E1-Rear-Stock-p52.htm)

Anyone know if these stocks are the same as the one shown on hk's website?

Yes. HKParts is getting the stocks directly from HK and just charging more. hkwebshop.com is Heckler & Koch's official web store. Check out their inventory, some "hard to find" items for cheaper than anywhere else.