PDA

View Full Version : Vickers slide stop

ridgerunner70
05-13-12, 12:08
I'm no armorer by no means but, I'm a millwright so decided to install the VSS on my G17 and G19. I've never had any issues with my glock but after installing the slide stops I've having the slide lock a few times through each mag on both Glocks. Both Glocks are well lubed and I did try different mags on both. Like I said I've never had any issues untill I installed the slide stops. I know this is my error and wondering if I have to much spring tension and should adjust accordingly? Do I have to much tension on the spring? Thanks

HaydenB
05-13-12, 12:15
I'm no armorer by no means but, I'm a millwright so decided to install the VSS on my G17 and G19. I've never had any issues with my glock but after installing the slide stops I've having the slide lock a few times through each mag on both Glocks. Both Glocks are well lubed and I did try different mags on both. Like I said I've never had any issues untill I installed the slide stops. I know this is my error and wondering if I have to much spring tension and should adjust accordingly? Do I have to much tension on the spring? Thanks

Do you shoot w/ a high thumbs forward grip? If you do, you are probably just pushing the slide stop up w/ the base of your thumb. Try shooting one handed to see if it still happens.

m1a_scoutguy
05-13-12, 12:17
I'm no armorer by no means but, I'm a millwright so decided to install the VSS on my G17 and G19. I've never had any issues with my glock but after installing the slide stops I've having the slide lock a few times through each mag on both Glocks. Both Glocks are well lubed and I did try different mags on both. Like I said I've never had any issues until I installed the slide stops. I know this is my error and wondering if I have to much spring tension and should adjust accordingly? Do I have to much tension on the spring? Thanks

Interesting,,I bought one and installed it on my 17 and have had 0 issues !! Did you go to Youtube and watch how its done,,it is pretty straight forward !! (Sorry just checking,;)) I know it took me longer to watch the Video than it did to install it !! I say just double check everything and go from there !! I guess I didn't realize you could or need to adjust the tension on them,:confused: I guess if it doesn't work for ya,,it doesn't work !! I like mine,,they are a decent add on I think !!

BCA
05-13-12, 12:26

ridgerunner70
05-13-12, 12:51
Do you shoot w/ a high thumbs forward grip? If you do, you are probably just pushing the slide stop up w/ the base of your thumb. Try shooting one handed to see if it still happens.Yes I do shoot with a high thumbs forward grip and i will try the one handed, thanks

ridgerunner70
05-13-12, 12:53
Interesting,,I bought one and installed it on my 17 and have had 0 issues !! Did you go to Youtube and watch how its done,,it is pretty straight forward !! (Sorry just checking,;)) I know it took me longer to watch the Video than it did to install it !! I say just double check everything and go from there !! I guess I didn't realize you could or need to adjust the tension on them,:confused: I guess if it doesn't work for ya,,it doesn't work !! I like mine,,they are a decent add on I think !!I'm sure it's operator error:p

Vendetta
05-13-12, 16:37
I'm sure it's operator error:p

That or like someone else said, try reinstalling it. Some have had issues because the spring didn't sit right the first time. I've had some buddies that had the same problem, we took it out and put it back in and it works fine now.

JHC
05-13-12, 17:20

I see this experience reported here and there. I have one that was tried in several 9mm Glocks and a G21 and it would lock the slide back frequently. I never had any problems running the OEM (small) part fast so I've just taken it off. I don't really need it. Shooting with gloves is not relevent for me. Experimenting with tuning the spring in my otherwise reliable Glocks didn't interest me personally.

Odglock
05-13-12, 17:26
Make sure the spring is under the top pin. I see this all the time. To insure the spring is in correctly, put the top pin back in the gun first, then install the slide stop with th sling compressed under the top pin, then install the lower pin. The lever should have downward tension.

Heavy Metal
05-13-12, 17:53
I see this experience reported here and there. I have one that was tried in several 9mm Glocks and a G21 and it would lock the slide back frequently. I never had any problems running the OEM (small) part fast so I've just taken it off. I don't really need it. Shooting with gloves is not relevent for me. Experimenting with tuning the spring in my otherwise reliable Glocks didn't interest me personally.

You do understand which spring they are talking about?

The one ON the slide stop itself.

JHC
05-13-12, 18:06
You do understand which spring they are talking about?

The one ON the slide stop itself.

That's the one. I saw some "how to" photo's on a forum about a year ago or so.

ridgerunner70
05-13-12, 20:04
Yes, the spring on the slide stop is hitting the top pin on my G19 gen3. On my G17 gen3 it's a 2 pin and the spring goes up against the bottom of the locking block it looks like. I did not have good down tension, I will try and see how it goes tomorrow.

Hart
05-13-12, 20:06
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Problem and repair was exactly as odglock described, nothing wrong with the part itself.

F-Trooper05
05-13-12, 20:09
Happens to me when I use them, unfortunately. That's why I don't use them.

ridgerunner70
05-13-12, 20:12
Hey guys before anyone gets the wrong impression I am Not saying it's the product. I know it's something pertaining to me on how I installed the product.

Chameleox
05-13-12, 21:44
I had a similar experience with mine. I installed one on my G22 towards the end of last August. 300 or so rounds later, it came off. I'm a righty. I've never had a problem with my thumb riding the lever. I was getting early lockbacks on nearly every mag. Didn't matter- 2 handed, lefty, 1 handed SH or OSH, light mounted or not. Switched back to OEM, and the issues went away immediately. Haven't looked back.

I like the way it helped my manipulations, and I know other users who swear by it, but its not for me.