PDA

View Full Version : MK 18 dilemma

murphy j
05-13-12, 12:49
So, here's my dilemma. I placed my order for a DD MK 18 through my local class 3 ffl a couple weeks ago. I found out about a week ago that they're back ordered till October with no guarantee that it'll even come in then. With the wait times with the ATF being 6 months or so, it'll be around this time next year or later before I could have the rifle. I'm debating canceling the order and going with something else like a Colt 6933, 6921 or similar quality option. I'm curious what you guys would do in that situation and looking for other options I might not have thought of. I'd really like to go the factory SBR route for my first SBR, but have thought of SBR'ing a 6920 or similar. I'd just prefer the factory route. So what would you do if you were in this situation and wanting a factory SBR?

mkmckinley
05-13-12, 12:59
Just get a Mk 18 upper and register a lower separately. You can get a complete 16" rifle, like a 6720, to register and shoot that while you wait for the SBR paperwork to clear. The actual Mk 18s used by the military are just DD uppers on M4 lowers anyway.

murphy j
05-13-12, 13:07
Just get a Mk 18 upper and register a lower separately. You can get a complete 16" rifle, like a 6720, to register and shoot that while you wait for the SBR paperwork to clear. The actual Mk 18s used by the military are just DD uppers on M4 lowers anyway.

I've been thinking about this route. I budgeted for a factory SBR as opposed to register the lower of a 16" rifle/buy the upper later. The funding was strictly regulated by my missus. I was hoping to get a complete SBR, then suppressor in a years time.

I also just realized I put this in the wrong forum. I meant to put this in the NFA section. Mods please move to the appropriate place. Thanks.

JoshNC
05-13-12, 16:15
I would buy the 6933. And as mkmckinley suggested, then also buy a Mk18 upper from DD or Noveske.

ccrn_csc
05-13-12, 17:57
Or just buy the whole rifle from Noveske. I won't take till October to build, but the Form 3 may.

Most of all, you will be, for lack of better word, married to this lower. Make sure it is what you want- not what is available.

amd5007
05-13-12, 18:10
This belongs in the NFA section.

But, Form 1 a lower of your choice and build the mk18 upper (or you can buy it). I built mine and it turned out pretty nice. DD 10.3" barrels are available and you can find the rails around.
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=2680

Edit: I neglected to read the other posts. I agree with mkmckinley. That is exactly what you should do. By the way, I want to give a shout out to him for helping me with my mk18 build.

sinlessorrow
05-13-12, 18:24

yep, highly recommend getting a lower and SBRing it and just get the DD MK18 upper thats what i did here

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/SinlesSorrow/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0763.jpg

murphy j
05-13-12, 20:15
I'm leaning towards a 6920 at this point and SBR'ing the lower at a later date. I appreciate everyones advice and experience in this matter. I had my heart set on a factory SBR when I finished up this last deployment and knew I'd have to wait a bit, but i'm really feeling like this wait is a bit excessive at this point. I'm just really conflicted as to how to still meet my goals, expectations and be satisfied with the end result.

sinlessorrow
05-13-12, 20:56
I'm leaning towards a 6920 at this point and SBR'ing the lower at a later date. I appreciate everyones advice and experience in this matter. I had my heart set on a factory SBR when I finished up this last deployment and knew I'd have to wait a bit, but i'm really feeling like this wait is a bit excessive at this point. I'm just really conflicted as to how to still meet my goals, expectations and be satisfied with the end result.

get a colt 6920, get the form 1 started and sent off on the lower and shoot the 6920, by the time the form 1 comes back approved you can buy the MK18 upper

amd5007
05-13-12, 20:59

Good idea. Who knows when the factory SBRs will come in stock and then you have the 6 month wait on top of that. I would go the Colt route or get a Colt 6921 and a dd upper.

g5m
05-13-12, 21:36

murphy j
05-13-12, 21:39
Buy a DD MK18 from Clyde Armory and they have them in stock.
At least they did recently.

I'll look in to it. Thanks

Mahk
05-14-12, 00:18
So, here's my dilemma. I placed my order for a DD MK 18 through my local class 3 ffl a couple weeks ago. I found out about a week ago that they're back ordered till October with no guarantee that it'll even come in then. With the wait times with the ATF being 6 months or so, it'll be around this time next year or later before I could have the rifle. I'm debating canceling the order and going with something else like a Colt 6933, 6921 or similar quality option. I'm curious what you guys would do in that situation and looking for other options I might not have thought of. I'd really like to go the factory SBR route for my first SBR, but have thought of SBR'ing a 6920 or similar. I'd just prefer the factory route. So what would you do if you were in this situation and wanting a factory SBR?

I bought the DD MK18 upper then built my own lower from an AeroPrecision stripped lower with a high quality FCG. They're one of the cheapest and highest quality lowers on the market. It's cheaper than the factory route and I have a kickass pistol to play with while I wait on my form 1. Fit between the two is rock-solid and AP's machine work and finish is second to none.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4663/mk18.jpg

Saab95v6
05-14-12, 03:28
Get the factory colt 6933, I have 3.
Cheers

ASH556
05-14-12, 08:04
It depends on what you want. As another poster pointed out, you're pretty much married to the lower forever, so get what you want. If you don't care, then Form 1 whatever lower you can get and buy a DD complete upper (you can get them for like $800). However, if you really want a factory complete DD gun, then find one in stock (dealers do have them, you just have to look) and get the factory gun.

KalashniKEV
05-14-12, 08:12
As another poster pointed out, you're pretty much married to the lower forever, so get what you want.

I don't know why people stress out over this.

In fact, I don't even know what that means... like, if you want a Punisher skull on it or some zombie crap or something?

Even the very cheapest lowers, I don't think, cause horrific catastrophes related to function.

ASH556
05-14-12, 08:32

In fact, I don't even know what that means... like, if you want a Punisher skull on it or some zombie crap or something?

Even the very cheapest lowers, I don't think, cause horrific catastrophes related to function.

If you're a pure function guy, then fine. Some folks aren't super keen on have a deer's head (Stag) or two dicks smashing a spider (Spike's), or whatever on their lower. I bought my factory DD MK18 because I liked the fact that there was no extra engraving on the lower. Different strokes.

ccrn_csc
05-14-12, 09:59

I only meant if you are going to pay the Tax for a lower - then get want you Want. I dont care what is on the side - like my Mama always said, it's what's on the inside that counts :D. With only a few hundred dollars between Great quality and Mediocre Quality, added with the fact of a $200 stamp - make an informed decision the first time based on your needs or wants, not on wait time. The OP was discussing how transfer times are increasing - I feel they will only get longer - so I ordered the Noveske Mk18. It'll be a great New Year!

my $0.02

KalashniKEV
05-14-12, 11:05
With only a few hundred dollars between Great quality and Mediocre Quality...

Whoa!

My Superior was $79 and it's teh bomb-diggs.

Almost everything is made by just a few manufacturers anyway. You're just paying for the final finish and whatever cartoons they stamp or apply to the magwell.

I'm all for paying for quality- but only when it's tied to results, function, or something quantifiable.

I say get the ball rolling on a stamp TODAY for an M4 type lower that you already have and order the upper.

You might be in business in as little as 5 months...

crh428
05-14-12, 11:26
In my experience DD exaggerates their lead times. They may say six weeks and you might get it in 4, for instance.

Can't really count on it, but that has been my experience at least.

Mahk
05-14-12, 12:11
If you're a pure function guy, then fine. Some folks aren't super keen on have a deer's head (Stag) or two dicks smashing a spider (Spike's), or whatever on their lower. I bought my factory DD MK18 because I liked the fact that there was no extra engraving on the lower. Different strokes.

Hahaha, +1. My decision was 90% Aesthetic. I was going to buy a Colt 6920 lower just because it said "M4 CARBINE", but then I realized that I was about to pay $300 more for a marking and less quality. I don't really like a picture of anything on my rifles. Same reason I'll never buy anything from Spikes that doesn't fit inside the gun, they like to put that shitty logo on everything they touch. The AeroPrecision logo looks nice and professional and the company itself is a Tier 1 aerospace manufacturer and it shows in the quality of their stuff.

condition 1
05-15-12, 17:50
Go with a LMT factory SBR, install the DD MK 18 rail and a DD MK 12 gas block, done ! Thats what I did...

RCO'B
07-15-12, 16:09
Just Form 1 a decent lower and get either the DD or Noveske Mk18 upper and call it a day.