PDA

View Full Version : Expected life of a flash hider

G-lock
05-14-12, 10:03
I have a A2 type extended flash hider on my 14.5 middy and it appears to have developed a horizontal crack at the far end by one of the open sections.

I've owned the upper since it was new and it has not been beat up, it was purchased in 8/2010 and it has approximately 1400 rounds thru it.

I have not contacted the builder yet as I wanted to make sure I did not have an unreasonable expectation that it would last the life of the barrel absent unusual damage.

Please let me know if my expectation was is in error.

wahoo95
05-14-12, 10:05
Pics? That's not normal since an A2 should last the life of the rifle

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

G-lock
05-14-12, 10:09
Here is a pic showing where the crack is.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/Mitzelj2011/A2Xwebjpg.jpg

Dano5326
05-14-12, 10:42
Likely a heat treat issue from one of two, or combined origins.

1- the flashhider came too brittle from the maker

or

2- when it was perm-afixed (welded or soldered) it got too hot and ruined heated treat. It's necessary to, substantially, heat sink the barrel when applying this much heat to a small barrel.

Generalpie
05-14-12, 11:23
Add in some regular thermal expansion and contraction and stress from barrel whip during firing and there ya have it.

Definitely not normal but as Yoda says. Happens, shit it does.

Talk to the builder.

G-lock
05-14-12, 15:38
Would it be safe to shoot until I get it repaired. I got a class coming up and I want to run this gun. I intend to monitor it and see if it gets any worse or should I expect a rapid dissassembly?

tonyxcom
05-14-12, 15:48
I wouldn't worry about it at all. As long as you don't use for breaching I would think a flash hider is a pretty low stress part.

sinister
05-14-12, 16:38
Change it. They're cheap and it doesn't take long.

With M14s a crack would screw with accuracy bad. On M4s/M16s a crack that soon is not normal.

G-lock
05-14-12, 16:49
Change it. They're cheap and it doesn't take long.

With M14s a crack would screw with accuracy bad. On M4s/M16s a crack that soon is not normal.

I would except it's pinned and welded, not a trivial matter.

tonyxcom
05-14-12, 16:52
If you do end up spending the $80 or so to remove and re-pin that A2 you might as well upgrade to some type of comp or brake.

G-lock
05-14-12, 16:57
If you do end up spending the $80 or so to remove and re-pin that A2 you might as well upgrade to some type of comp or brake.

I hope the builder who I just email'd will take care of me and I will certainly discuss an upgrade to a Battle Comp.

G-lock
05-15-12, 15:07
Good news, vendor answered e-mail this a.m. and I have a UPS call tag in my E-mail. Their response is exactly what I expected. Thanks again to all who replied.

G-lock
05-21-12, 15:14
Vendor got the upper this morning and confirmed the flash hider was bad and they made me smoking deal on an upgrade to a Battle Comp 1.5. All is well, thanks again to all who posted here!

badness
05-21-12, 15:37
congrats. Glad everything went well. Because i was gonna say. That sure as hell ain't normal after 1400 rounds!

alex71
05-21-12, 19:56
Good to see they took care of you. They should last a lot longer than 1400 rounds.

KyAKGuy
05-21-12, 20:57
Never seen one crack like that.

KyAKGuy

dhena81
05-24-12, 03:01
I've never heard of this happening either. If its ok I think it would be a good change of pace to mention the vendor since most people just talk about the bad.

badness
05-24-12, 04:01
My guess is bcm

BGREID
05-24-12, 10:07
Who is the builder? We should give credit for good customer service.

G-lock
05-24-12, 12:42
BCM was indeed the builder, I didn't want to start an issue of folks questioning the A2X's, I expect mine was a rare failure, additionally mine was one of the very early LW mid-lenght uppers. I'm very glad they were able to swap it and not replace my barrel as this one is unusually accurate.

BCM was utterly fanstastic in this transaction, I shipped it on Thursday, back in my hands on Wednesday, fully fixed and it looks perfect.

BCM has my business and other's should not look elsewhere, as Paul and his crew rock.

Airhasz
05-24-12, 21:19
wow, quick turn around!

WKshooter
05-29-12, 12:49
BCM customer service is great. A while ago I was getting short stroking on a BCM upper. I was looking at the gas key and noticed gas leakage around one of the screws. I did some checking and found the lead screw had broke flush with the surface. I called BCM CS and they said to send it back to them...a week later I had a new complete carrier..can't say enough about their CS. :smile:

I called to thank them for their service and was asking the rep about the screw, she said it was unusual and they wasn't 100% sure why it broke, but it did appear to be a warranty issue..

Markasaurus
06-01-12, 12:40
Add in some regular thermal expansion and contraction and stress from barrel whip during firing and there ya have it.

Definitely not normal but as Yoda says. Happens, shit it does.

Talk to the builder.

Best internet comment of the year, ha ha.

When you said "pinned and welded" I think you identified the problem right there. If it's pinned it didn't NEED welding...except for legal right? I'd guess that welding did the damage to the piece, more then 20,000 rounds would do. If it has to be "permanent" i'd want that silver soldered instead if I had a choice, otherwise you might just be buying another one in 2,000 rounds...

G-lock
06-06-12, 09:40
Markasaurus-
When I said welded, it was only welded over the pin hole. I think you were refering to a weld around the circumference of the muzzle decive which could effect the heat treat.

ROBZ71LM7
06-09-12, 08:42
I'd be surprised if the heat treat out there was affected. It's very far away from the heat affected zone of the weld. Perhaps residual stress from the weld maybe? But that far away is a surprise to me. I think it had more to do with a stress riser from the machining.