PDA

View Full Version : M&P VTac review

WillBrink
05-14-12, 11:34
So, took buddies new VTac to the range. It's on loan to me, and if I like it, he wants to trade for it.

Put 200 rnds through it as function test to start. Had 5 FTF. Was using W white box 180g. Last rnd in the mag would hang up on the feed ramp and be partially into battery. A quick sharp tap on the mag seated rnd. Came with two mags. He has 3 others, will try those at some point and see if it continues to do that, but as I'm probably not going to keep it (see below) more his problem than mine.

Sites: I had no problems picking up the sites intended to pick up under the conditions used, which in this case was day time, so fiber optics. Your eye does not even see the small night sights. Have not tried it in low light, so can't comment on night sites.

Trigger. I had my 9mm FS with Apex and a stock .40FS. My impression was the trigger is slightly improved over stock (could live with it) but nothing close to Apex set up. Has a crisp clean break (didn't measure weight but seemed in the 5-6lb range) but zero reset feel. Short stroked it a few times not making it out to the reset.

Accuracy, I was very rusty. At usual distances of 7-15 yards, acceptable groupings for me, but at 25 yards free standing, in the 12+" range and pretty bad. Was windy day however... I'm assuming me vs gun at this point. It's amazing how fast those skills go.... :(

General, I just don't like polymer .40 guns as a rule and honestly, this one no different. Recoil is snappy, and quick follow up shots slow for me. Slow fire, no problem, speed it up to make quick double taps, or failure drill, etc, either slow or groups get large. 500rnds for the day, hands, elbows, and such felt a tad beaten. Yes, I'm an f-ing pussy, but my Ti framed commander 1911 weighed approx the same and I'd prefer that any day.

However, in .45 I can drive the M&P better than I can the .40, and in 9mm, make quick accurate holes where I want them if I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

Conclusion: will stick with my 9mm FS, and would go with the .45 if I wanted a larger caliber. .40 polymer guns are still not for me, but I didn't find anything not to like if you prefer .40, as long as that FTF issue gets worked out of course. My 9mm FS has been reliable as I could ever ask for.

Will give it another go and see if impressions change.

RCI1911
05-14-12, 13:06
Sites: I had no problems picking up the sites intended to pick up under the conditions used, which in this case was day time, so fiber optics. Your eye does not even see the small night sights. Have not tried it in low light, so can't comment on night sites.

Interesting to hear that. I was wondering how well they worked. They just looked "busy" to me when I handled a VTac.

WillBrink
05-14-12, 13:19
Interesting to hear that. I was wondering how well they worked. They just looked "busy" to me when I handled a VTac.

Under the conditions I used them, my eyes are attracted quickly to the fiber optics. Under low light, should be the reverse. I have heard the time it can get visually confusing is during transitional periods of light, but not experience as of yet with that.

jmoney
05-15-12, 09:16
my first day using mine it was pretty overcast, the tru glos still lit up. Going from low to high light situations really is not as bad as people are expecting, your eyes will follow the green.

Entry95
05-19-12, 11:02
Will are there any pics of the V-Tac pistol being shot by you?

WillBrink
05-19-12, 11:40
Will are there any pics of the V-Tac pistol being shot by you?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/106_0719.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/106_0720.jpg

Sensei
05-19-12, 19:21
Will, I agree with you assessment of the trigger. I installed DCAEK kits in both of my VTACs (9 and 40). However, I share the same problem with the trigger reset. All of my other M&Ps have the APEX RAM which gives the gun a much more positive reset. Unfortunately, the sear housing for the VTAC modes will not accommodate this after market part. I only hope that APEX comes out with the RAM designed for VTAC and thumb safety models in the near future...

Sensei
05-19-12, 19:27