PDA

View Full Version : ALG Defense, Giessele, or just new springs?

Graystroke
05-15-12, 05:53
I shot my Colt 6920 last Friday for the first time while sighting in the scope -hardest trigger I've ever had. I checked it with a trigger guage and it averaged 8 - 8 1/2 pounds and it seemed to catch twice every time before dropping. I need something different.

The ALG Defense seems to be an inexpensive alternative although some thought they weren't based on a few online posts. I can get the ACT model for $69 shipped. Seems like everyone is positive about the Giessele SSA 2 stage trigger - I can get the SSA for $168 shipped.

Then there are articles that say just put some rubbing compound on the surface and dry fire a bunch of times while catching the hammer to smooth out the gritty feel. And then switching the trigger and hammer springs with something like the JP Enterprises offerings will make a considerable difference.

Just wondering if I should walk, jog, or run?

Generalpie
05-15-12, 08:13
I wouldn't ever judge a trigger until it has had several hundred rounds fired. Either dry fired or live fire.

That said I went from a 2 stage match trigger on my personal gun to a GI on my new work issue and it is a pretty good trigger. Some of the others are horrid. Mine has smoothed some over the first 500 rounds or so.

I don't think there is much difference at typical close range engagements however all else equal I would take a better trigger any day. If it is worth $70 or $170 is your call but I would shoot either of those (or GI) and not have a second thought.

308sako
05-15-12, 08:36
Had a Jewell for about 18 years, love it.

Have a Giessele match for about 2 years, think it's the best

Got a Giessele SD-E at SHOT, find it amazing in my SBR.

Go Giessele and shoot at a higher level of proficiency.

It is not wise to remove the surface hardening of the original fire control group with abrasive compounds. Changing springs brings with it reliability issues. The Giessele triggers use full standard weight springs, and are very hard which means they will last a very long time and be consistent throughout their life. After the barrel, nothing improves a rifles apparent performance more than the trigger, which is followed by sights.

C4IGrant
05-15-12, 08:41
The G2S is the best value in the Geissele linup. Next would be an SSA.

The ALG is identical to a USGI trigger, but is generally smoother and more consistent on the trigger pull. It is however the same "type" of trigger.

C4

Scoby
05-15-12, 10:07
I have a couple of the ACT triggers.

I've found that the ALG / ACT units are nice if you have multiple guns and only prefer a milspec trigger group.
They offer trigger pull weight and break consistency from gun to gun.

I just swapped out a Geissele FCG out of a lower I was selling and installed a Stag/CMT FCG. It had the lightest / cleanest trigger I have ever felt on a milspec trigger.
Thought about keeping it but didn't. :D

OldState
05-15-12, 14:57
The G2S is the best value in the Geissele linup.

C4

Can you buy this trigger by itself again?

C4IGrant
05-15-12, 15:14
Can you buy this trigger by itself again?

No (OEM only). We sell them in our LPK's, with lowers and complete firearms.

C4

MistWolf
05-15-12, 16:01
Before making any changes, clean up the trigger group real good, get a little heavy grease and lube all the sears & pivot points and see if that helps. I did that to my GI trigger and the grittiness went away and the pull became more consistent.

If you feel comfortable with removing the FCG from the rile, that's the easiest way to do a thorough job, however most everything can be reached while it's still in the lower. The grease will need to be re-applied from time to time, but that'a all part of the show. The Geisselle triggers all need lubing and even come with a small packet of grease.

Grease up the FCG and shoot it. It may be that's all you need and might save you a dollar or two

Graystroke
05-15-12, 16:51
I decided to hell with it and ordered the Geissele SSA for $168 shipped. I think this route would be cheaper than buying 500 rounds and I might still have an 8 1/2 pound trigger - plus I don't have to wait to find out. Thanks for the help.

SteveS
05-15-12, 18:45
I think you will get a big smile with the SSA trigger. They are nice.

TehLlama
05-15-12, 23:13
I think you will get a big smile with the SSA trigger. They are nice.

The biggest problem I've encountered is that the SSA's are addicitive. I have installed them in carbines that don't need a match trigger, and should receive ridicule for doing so, but I have trigger pull consistency across all my 5.56 rifles and it's consistently amazing.

dhena81
05-17-12, 01:25
No (OEM only). We sell them in our LPK's, with lowers and complete firearms.

C4

That would be if your LPK ever come back in stock I've been looking since February.

dhena81
05-17-12, 01:33
The biggest problem I've encountered is that the SSA's are addicitive. I have installed them in carbines that don't need a match trigger, and should receive ridicule for doing so, but I have trigger pull consistency across all my 5.56 rifles and it's consistently amazing.

I agree just put an SSA in my carbine it's f**king amazing. Now I know what all the fuss is about I've been shooting mil-spec triggers exclusively because of reliability concerns. But the SSA is built reliable, and based on my experience one could not truly understand the difference until they get their hands on one.

C4IGrant
05-17-12, 11:08
That would be if your LPK ever come back in stock I've been looking since February.

They have actually been in stock all this time, but we have been keeping them reserved for builds.

C4

TomMcC
05-17-12, 12:57
What ever you do, do not use the JP springs with a stock hammer, they were designed to be used with a low mass hammer. If you use them with a stock hammer you will more than likely get misfires. That was my experience with these springs.

sinlessorrow
05-17-12, 13:03
Get the SSA and never look back.

It is by far the biggest, and best upgrade I have ever made for my rifle.

I also know it is more durable and will last longer than a standard Mil trigger.(its the Semi version of the combat trigger SOF groups use)

m4brian
05-17-12, 20:31
You'll quickly HATE the Geiselle unit... if you own another rifle - it is so amazing it will make you want them on all ARs. And that IS expensive.